Type keyword(s) to search

The View: Week of 5/20/2024

• Start Topic

Monday, May 20 – Daisy Ridley (“Young Woman and the Sea”)

Tuesday, May 21 – Bill Maher (author, “What This Comedian Said Will Shock You”)

Wednesday, May 22 – Charlamagne Tha God (author, “Get Honest or Die Lying: Why Small Talk Sucks”)

Thursday, May 23 – Jessica Lange (Broadway’s “Mother Play”); Scott Galloway (author, “The Algebra of Wealth: A Simple Formula for Financial Security”)

Friday, May 24 (ENCORE BROADCAST OAD: 4/30/24) – John Leguizamo (actor and executive producer, “The Green Veil”)

• Thanks 2

Why were people crying and upset when Giuliani was served at his birthday party? I suspect there was some kind of pool or bet on whether he'd get away without being served by the deadline and those people lost a lot of money!

• LOL 8
2 hours ago, Shrek said:

Did we ever get the Sunny's new chicken story?

I was waiting for that too @Shrek and I don’t think they got to it!

Not a Bill Maher fan, other than suffering through him to see his guests & hear what THEY have to say, BUT he just said that the cover of Sports Illustrated was "a real boner killer".  (NOT nice!!)

• Angry 2
1 hour ago, sugarbaker design said:

You and me both.  That's what the FF button was made for. 🐣

What really was there to say that wasn't in that statement?  Sunny got a new chicken - The End.

• LOL 3

I was surprised to see Bill Maher on the show. I don't agree with everything he says (by far!) but he's generally more articulate and knowledgeable than some of the panelists here. I think Sunny underestimated him, and he gently punctured Joy's hyperbolic "joke" about how every MAGA hat should have a swastika on it.

• Like 8
(edited)

Well, to nobody’s surprise Sunny got a tad triggered by Maher’s “woke” comment but to his credit he gracefully walked it back. I’m glad he didn’t walk back his opinion about Gaza when she challenged him on it. Yes, Bill, it’s a war and what’s happening in Gaza happens in wars. As he cleverly put it maybe other entities/nations should stop attacking Israel.

Between this appearance and his appearance last night on CNN I’m still irritated about his “told ya so” crap about Trump refusing to leave the WH in January 2021. Of course that didn’t happen. He would have had to be removed by force. That was never going to happen.

Edited by TimWil
  • Like 4
12 hours ago, TimWil said:

Between this appearance and his appearance last night on CNN I’m still irritated about his “told ya so” crap about Trump refusing to leave the WH in January 2021. Of course that didn’t happen. He would have had to be removed by force. That was never going to happen.

But he wasn't wrong either, he sure as hell didn't go quietly and did everything he could to stay put, even going as far as to incite an insurrection to keep himself in power & still he refuses to believe that he lost fairly. No chance he goes without force ever again. 

• Like 10
1 hour ago, athousandclowns said:

Did Whoopi say where Joy was?

She's out sick.  I don't remember if Whoopi said it, but Brian mentioned it on today's podcast.  He said she has a cold.

• Useful 1

Wow I love guests like Bill Maher and Charlemagne the God, who challenge the ladies. It's funny to see them (Sunny, esp) get so frustrated 

• Love 2
9 hours ago, sugarbaker design said:

But he was.  BM predicted DJT wouldn't leave the WH.  DJT did leave the WH.

Exactly. Maher kept saying on his show that Trump would literally not leave the White House come January 2021, which was patently ridiculous. Now he’s trying to change the terminology a bit to still make it look like he was right.

Thank god they’ll be back to talking politics tomorrow between Nikki Haley’s latest piece of cowardice along with another insurrection flag outside an Alito residence.

• Like 5

Discussion about taking a break from dating - I think that Kate Hudson was well advised to "take a break" because she'd made many bad choices. I think that along with not trying to meet someone to date, it is helpful to try to see what you are doing that contributes to these bad relationships and figure out what is really important to you before you try to meet someone new. Otherwise, you might just keep doing the same old thing, not learning anything, and making yourself (and other people) miserable. BTW, I think this applies to other things, too, not just dating - any time you can see that you've developed some unhealthy or unrewarding patterns in your life, it helps to stop what you're doing for a while to figure out how you can change things for the better. 

• Like 2
  • Applause 2
(edited)

I agree, KittyQ, it applies to many things. After all, you wouldn't want to wake up one day as the type of person who hacks and stalks someone because you were disagreed with on the Internet or something much worse like talking about things you don't care about every day for years just to harass someone. Very sad places unhealthy people can end up in this world. Sometimes the best way to enact change is to turn to outside forces to help you remove the problems when they don't go away on their own.

Anyway, Whoopi is right that you can't turn to people who lack all moral character like Nikki Haley, there is really nothing they wouldn't do. They are usually the biggest monsters in this world. It is truly amazing the kind of things people can justify doing, but when you don't have the type of friends who will tell you when you're doing something truly wrong and only placate you and encourage your mistakes, you can end up putting yourself in a very deep hole you can't get back out of. Like Alyssa, I think she's irreparably damaged herself. Was it worth it, I wonder?

Edited by TheGreenKnight
  • Love 1

Nikki Haley is like any other politician...especially during the debates. Knock down your opponent in hopes of beating them out. When that doesn't happen and your opponent is the last one standing, then you re-join your party and make nice. Kamala did the same thing to/with Biden during the debates, and look at her now. Same difference.

• Like 1

IMO, Soapy, Nikki Haley was infinitely more critical of Trump, calling him unhinged, unstable, & mentally unfit, than Kamala Harris was of Biden, whom she criticized for 50 year old racial issues, while noting that he was not a racist himself. 

I agree with Whoopi that Haley lacks "all moral character" - & now she's back where she belongs.

• Like 3
  • Applause 5

I don't like deliberately lopsided dresses, like the white one Sunny wore Thurs., with one longer sleeve - a dated style, unappealing even when trendy.

I also wonder why Sara's hair is apparently difficult to coif.  It also often looks greasy.

JM superficial O!

• Like 3

Seeing Sunny and Joy both being called out in subtle ways by Bill Maher was wonderful.   

Sunny continues to be ignorant with a majority of her views and Joy... it's time for her to retire.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Love 2
20 hours ago, JAYJAY1979 said:

Seeing Sunny and Joy both being called out in subtle ways by Bill Maher was wonderful. 

I LOVE Bill Maher and I watch his show every Friday but I also LOVE Joy.  She is (and always will be) my favorite lady on The View.  To use Alyssa's favorite expression, "It is possible to hold two differing thoughts in your head at once"!

• Like 6
(edited)
16 hours ago, HerkyJerky said:

I LOVE Bill Maher and I watch his show every Friday but I also LOVE Joy.  She is (and always will be) my favorite lady on The View.  To use Alyssa's favorite expression, "It is possible to hold two differing thoughts in your head at once"!

Absolutely! As long as Joy stops "forcing" her opinion down our throats! 

Especially when you can see her visibly getting upset over a guest...to the point of walking out. Granted she hasn't done that lately, but you know she WANTS to.

And Joy, repeating the same opinion 37 times does not make it true. Be as respectful of other folks opinions as you want US to be of yours.

Edited by Soapy Goddess
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
1 hour ago, RealHousewife said:

I guess party of one, but I wasn't impressed by Bill at all. Used to enjoy him years ago too. Thank God the panel has Sunny.

I will sit at the table with you.  Some of the things he has said lately has been absolutely cringeworthy.  He still sometimes makes good points but the life he is living is unlikely to change based on who's president.  And even when he acknowledges that he shows very little empathy for people who's lives will be impacted. 

• Like 5
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, bluegirl147 said:

I will sit at the table with you.  Some of the things he has said lately has been absolutely cringeworthy.  He still sometimes makes good points but the life he is living is unlikely to change based on who's president.  And even when he acknowledges that he shows very little empathy for people who's lives will be impacted. 

Yes, that's exactly why Bill is more passionate about cancel culture than he is about life and death. Cancel culture can affect him as a TV personality. Nothing much else can. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

I guess party of one, but I wasn't impressed by Bill at all. Used to enjoy him years ago too. Thank God the panel has Sunny.

I always liked  him too. I went to see him in concert about 3 years ago and in the last months have not been watching my Taped shows so took him off. 

• Like 3
29 minutes ago, athousandclowns said:

I always liked  him too. I went to see him in concert about 3 years ago and in the last months have not been watching my Taped shows so took him off. 

I also went to see Bill live, think around 2019. There are times he is still likable, but I certainly wouldn't go to one of his shows again. 

(edited)

Late to the party, but watching that video? The host of the podcast was right: Back in 2016, Bill ended one of his shows with "We the rebels now!" and that was the last time I liked him. Host was right-it was shortly after that, that Bill changed.

I also saw him live-I think it was sometime in...2010, maybe? Remember seeing the audience being of varying races and ages. 

I stopped watching his show about three, no, now about four years ago.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Like 4