Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E06: An Ear For An Ear

• Start Topic

After one of New York's most sought-after plastic surgeons is found dead, Elsbeth has her eye on the victim's former boss, Dr. Vanessa Holmes (Gina Gershon), who she believes has motives that are more than skin-deep. Also, Kaya keeps tabs on Elsbeth's whereabouts as her investigation into Captain Wagner heats up, on ELSBETH, Thursday, April 25 (10:00-11:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network, and streaming on Paramount+

• Love 1

gina-gerson-and-carrie-preston-in-elsbet

Gina Gershon as Dr. Vanessa Holmes
Fredric Lehne as Lt. Dave Noonan
Ajay Naidu as Martin Wali
Danny McCarthy as Agent Fred Celetano
Jillian Gottlieb as Dr. Astrid Olsen
NaTonia Monét as Nurse

gina-gerson-in-elsbeth-episode-6.jpg

i wasn’t paying attention to the guest credits, and i couldn’t find anything at imdb or online, but i’m pretty sure that daniel davis (niles on the nanny) played the older plastic surgeon. can anyone confirm? 

• Like 12
36 minutes ago, wonderwoman said:

i wasn’t paying attention to the guest credits, and i couldn’t find anything at imdb or online, but i’m pretty sure that daniel davis (niles on the nanny) played the older plastic surgeon. can anyone confirm? 

Definitely!

• Like 5

They are only six episodes in and Elsbeth's cheery, chatty, hyper-observant, deliberately underestimated schtick has already gotten both boring and irritating enough that I root for the murderers...

• Love 1

That scene with Kaya and Elsbeth gave me chills. But I liked it. Female friendship FTW.

I liked the murderer's wife, but I didn't understand why she was with such a cold, controlling partner. It made me sad.

• Like 8
(edited)

Hope everyone saw the final few seconds in the last scene.  Very key about the corruption in the PD.

It is very hard for me to look at people who’ve had a lot of plastic surgery — like, literally hard for me to even look at them and you can spot the bad cases a mile away — that sure includes Gina Gershon.  Ugh.  

Agreed @possibilities the wife was cool and I could not see how she was with the creepy doctor. 

Edited by MerBearHou
  • Like 5
2 hours ago, MerBearHou said:

Hope everyone saw the final few seconds in the last scene.  Very key about the corruption in the PD.

I wondered whether it was a clear indication that the Captain is in on the corruption, or if the guy was just saying that to make it LOOK like the Captain was in on it.

This show is based on showing us the crime up front and not being a mystery. The interest is supposed to be in showing how Elsbeth figures out what we already know.

But it's unclear to me whether they will follow through on that in all aspects.

I like Elsbeth's attitude to be on the side of the truth.

I do like that theya re moving the story along andnot dragging it out so ,uch that it feels totally stagnant.

• Like 8
  • Applause 1
(edited)
12 hours ago, possibilities said:

This show is based on showing us the crime up front and not being a mystery. The interest is supposed to be in showing how Elsbeth figures out what we already know.

It's clearly a Columbo (and more recently, Pokerface)-style detective show.  More like a howtheysolveit than whodunnit.

12 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

Micaela Diamond as Detective Edwards 

One of the upsides of a showing filming in NYC is they get excellent Broadway actors like the Tony-nominated Diamond.

Edited by sugarbaker design
  • Like 5
9 hours ago, sugarbaker design said:
22 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

One of the upsides of a showing filming in NYC is they get excellent Broadway actors like the Tony-nominated Diamond

See also Law and Order in all iterations, a show where I unexpectedly said the words, “hey, it’s Shrek!” once while watching. 

• Like 3
  • LOL 4
On 4/25/2024 at 10:53 PM, wonderwoman said:

I also remember him as Moriarty in "Star Trek: The Next Generation".  It's a pleasure to see him again.  I just read that he did a reprise of that character on "Picard" season 3 but I've only watched the first two episodes.  Now I have motivation to watch the rest.

On 4/26/2024 at 2:45 AM, possibilities said:

I wondered whether it was a clear indication that the Captain is in on the corruption, or if the guy was just saying that to make it LOOK like the Captain was in on it.

Yeah, I wondered the same thing.  I guess we're supposed to wonder at this point. 

On 4/26/2024 at 2:45 AM, possibilities said:

But it's unclear to me whether they will follow through on that in all aspects.

It's already a little on the formulaic side in general, and how she just happens to find herself in the path of the killer right away every week has gotten a little stale for me I must admit. But there are so many other things of interest to like going on that it isn't bothering me that much.

• Like 1
On 4/26/2024 at 1:45 AM, possibilities said:

Yes, it's clear they wrote that scene to keep us in the dark. We know there's corruption now. But we don't know if the Captain is involved. This gives the writers leeway to take the story where they want.

One thing that's a little odd, but doesn't really matter. The Captain has his own "charity" and philanthropic fund. A couple episodes ago they had a fancy event at a fund-raiser for his charity/fund. Police captains aren't dime a dozen, but they are not remotely high up enough to have charities & funds. Unless he or his wife come from (or have) money, in which case all bets are off.

5 hours ago, astrohip said:

Police captains aren't dime a dozen, but they are not remotely high up enough to have charities & funds. Unless he or his wife come from (or have) money, in which case all bets are off.

Even if it wasn't explicitly stated in the dialog (can't recall), I got the impression that the Captain's wife came from money. 

• Like 1
13 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Even if it wasn't explicitly stated in the dialog (can't recall), I got the impression that the Captain's wife came from money. 

same - she seems pretty fancy  :)

• Wink 1

Yeah, I think definitely that Lt is using the Captain's name to extort money and maybe even to shift the blame if things go sideways. 

I'm so sure of it, that it means I'm probably wrong.

I'm glad we finally got a killer that didn't break down and confess after hearing the flimsiest of evidence.  I think she might actually get off, unless I missed something more compelling than someone splashed the same paint that everyone uses on a pair of shoes.  Might have ruined her alibi, but no alibi doesn't mean guilty.

• Like 2