Type keyword(s) to search

S17.E24: Denver Reunion, Part 1

Message added by Mod-LunarJester,

Culture Check: When using powerful term/phrases, it's important to consider the impact of the words and whether they contribute constructively to the conversation or discourse.

• Start Topic

6 hours ago, Jodyj said:

I get hammered every time I say it but I think the man truly loved her. Like real. Yes he has his issues and she has hers but I think they could have made it if the pack hadn't ruined it for them. I understand he didn't want to have sex while on tv. It doesn't mean he wasn't attracted to her. It could mean that he didn't want to have sex ON TV. He literally also said he takes a long time to be intimate. She didn't respect that and kept hounding and hounding him then crying to the pack. 

I think he is hurt and a bit broken because he thought everything was fine and she came out firing all cylinders because of the pack. She had told him she wanted to be alone. He wanted to party with everyone because filming was over. Obviously that was a mistake. 

Anywho. I feel bad for them both. I think they could have made it. 

Nobody is required to have sex with anyone. If it had been the other way around we would be roasting him for pushing sex constantly but because it is a man he gets a free pass. Yes, he looked bad for lying to a woman who came out screaming at him when he thought everything was fine. But I don't think that is why he was crying. 

He thought they were going to stay married and got blindsided. 

I do think the other men were not good for Austin. All the discussions about not getting what they wanted are not good for a new couple. I think the couples would be better off spending less time talking to the other couples. 

• Like 7
9 hours ago, Jodyj said:

I get hammered every time I say it but I think the man truly loved her. Like real. Yes he has his issues and she has hers but I think they could have made it if the pack hadn't ruined it for them. I understand he didn't want to have sex while on tv. It doesn't mean he wasn't attracted to her. It could mean that he didn't want to have sex ON TV. He literally also said he takes a long time to be intimate. She didn't respect that and kept hounding and hounding him then crying to the pack. 

I think he is hurt and a bit broken because he thought everything was fine and she came out firing all cylinders because of the pack. She had told him she wanted to be alone. He wanted to party with everyone because filming was over. Obviously that was a mistake. 

Nobody is required to have sex with anyone. If it had been the other way around we would be roasting him for pushing sex constantly but because it is a man he gets a free pass. Yes, he looked bad for lying to a woman who came out screaming at him when he thought everything was fine. But I don't think that is why he was crying. 

I agree and I've said pretty much the same thing with some differences.  I think he was also sucked into the group in trying to outsmart the producers from making them look bad on camera.  It led to him lying to Becca and gave her the wrong impression which is why she turned around and got angry with him.  The girls didn't just pull all that stuff out of nothing and that's why they joined together in "solidarity".  They saw similar things happening to each other and none of it seemed like the guys were sincere about pursuing a relationship with them.  That may have been true of the other guys but I don't think it was true of Austin.  I think he was sincere and had real feelings for Becca.  But he still didn't resist getting sucked into the vortex of lying/deception along with them and that helped to ruin his relationship with her.  Unfortunately I don't see Austin as having enough maturity or a backbone to resist all the BS to focus on his relationship with Becca and filter out all the rest of the influences.  But it's not just him.  I don't see any of them including the women as all that mature for other reasons.

2 hours ago, Chatty Cake said:

I do think the other men were not good for Austin. All the discussions about not getting what they wanted are not good for a new couple. I think the couples would be better off spending less time talking to the other couples. 

Exactly.  The guys had their own "pack" of sorts that lead to the sabotage of all their relationships.  While that might have happened anyway for most of them because they weren't into their wives at all it might not have with Austin and Becca if Austin didn't listen too much to the other guys and let their negativity change his behavior and ultimately ruin his relationship with Becca.

9 hours ago, Jodyj said:

It could be so many things, and we will never know unless he came clean.  Maybe peer pressure?  I just think he is very sensitive and felt very bad that he hurt her.

• Like 8
(edited)
10 hours ago, princelina said:

Didn't he own his own bike/repair shop?  I think Clare was snooty at first because she thought of him as a "repairman" and didn't understand what he really did.  But she was impressed once she understood what it was, and that's not even the point.  Are we to believe that he owned his own business with a rare specialty and then just gave it all up to have a job in "finance"? And has done it after decision day but before the reunion? While recuperating from heart surgery? I'm calling Cam a liar again.

We were definitely led to believe he owned the business and I think whoever dug up information on it confirmed that. He got a new job in finance, he said, but I suppose he could still run the shop part time?

ETA - I just googled it and there is no mention that it closed permanently. It is open “by appointment only” and lists Cameron as a co-owner (but no other owner information is listed). 

Edited by Elizzikra
  • Like 1
  • Useful 2
10 minutes ago, Elizzikra said:

We were definitely led to believe he owned the business and I think whoever dug up information on it confirmed that. He got a new job in finance, he said, but I suppose he could still run the shop part time?

ETA - I just googled it and there is no mention that it closed permanently. It is open “by appointment only” and lists Cameron as a co-owner (but no other owner information is listed). 

I'm thinking he probably wanted to exert himself less since his heart diagnosis so a desk job was more attractive.  I don't think it would necessarily mean he'd have to close the bike shop business especially if he had a partner.  What I do find strange is him just being able to transition into finance that easily.  Did he have a degree or any experience in finance?  Because that's not just something you get a job in without those things.  Maybe he had studied that and was doing the bike shop because he had a passion for that.  But now that he feels the need not to exert himself that much on a daily basis the finance career looked more attractive.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, Yeah No said:

I'm thinking he probably wanted to exert himself less since his heart diagnosis so a desk job was more attractive.  I don't think it would necessarily mean he'd have to close the bike shop business especially if he had a partner.  What I do find strange is him just being able to transition into finance that easily.  Did he have a degree or any experience in finance?  Because that's not just something you get a job in without those things.  Maybe he had studied that and was doing the bike shop because he had a passion for that.  But now that he feels the need not to exert himself that much on a daily basis the finance career looked more attractive.

Maybe? And “job in finance” could, I suppose, mean a lot of things. Maybe he is a bank teller (which is a perfectly fine job but I don’t think requires any specific degree or credential). 

• Like 3
12 hours ago, Jodyj said:

I understand he didn't want to have sex while on tv. It doesn't mean he wasn't attracted to her. It could mean that he didn't want to have sex ON TV. He literally also said he takes a long time to be intimate. She didn't respect that and kept hounding and hounding him then crying to the pack. 

This is where those "private conversations" I mentioned earlier could have come into play.  He could have told her, "I really really like you but am not comfortable having sex on tv and would prefer to wait until after decision day."  If they had time to talk about fooling the cameras there was time for that.  Instead he's talking her out to build erotic terrariums 🙄

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
4 minutes ago, princelina said:

Instead he's talking her out to build erotic terrariums 🙄

This made me laugh 🤣! I completely forgot about the erotic terrarium date! Austin was such a tease that day- taking sexed up Becca to that place.  He should've told her off camera, "I'm not feeling the attraction and I don't want to have sex- please respect that and let's see this out and be civil so that we can get paychecks or agree to end this now and move on."  

• Like 1
  • Applause 2
  • Love 2
(edited)

If a guy his age isn’t all over a woman at that point, he’s just not into her.  What happened to honesty?  It’s better than just faking everything, unless lots of money and contracts were involved.  To me, she looked and acted older than him.  He looked like he enjoyed the wild night life.  She looked like she was happier snuggling on the sofa watching tv.

Edited by kristen111
  • Like 2
  • Love 1
12 minutes ago, kristen111 said:

If a guy his age isn’t all over a woman at that point, he’s just not into her.  What happened to honesty?  It’s better than just faking everything, unless lots of money and contracts were involved.  To me, she looked and acted older than him.  He looked like he enjoyed the wild night life.  She looked like she was happier snuggling on the sofa watching tv.

I never got that vibe from him. He always seemed stoned and half asleep to me. I can see him going out with friends if the tide took him that way but I didn’t get the sense that he was the type to always be going out or organizing people to go out. 

• Like 6
2 hours ago, Elizzikra said:

never got that vibe from him. He always seemed stoned and half asleep to me.

Bingo! Winner winner, chicken dinner!

Plus, that slowwww way he had of talking drove me nuts.

We never were told what type of job Austin had and I was always curious. 

I'm in the camp that Austin was NOT physically/sexually attracted to Becca, but truly didn't want to hurt her feelings by telling her that off-camera. It would have been a kindness in the long run, if he had. 

• Like 6
16 hours ago, Maximadc said:

Did Austin take Becca to build terrariums? I thought it was Dr. Pea's idea 

Haha it sure sounds like something an "expert" thought up and probably was, but as viewers we were to believe it was Austin's idea to appeal to Becca's sexual side without having to do the deed 🤣

• LOL 2
3 hours ago, Retired at last said:

About the two-part shows. . .  I think they were all filmed at the same time and then the show cut up the segments to make them fit the 2 hours. I don't think they filmed it twice.

Then why does Austin have a beard in Part 1 and no beard in the previews for Part 2?

It doesn't seem logical not to film it all at the same time.

• Like 3
19 hours ago, ECM1231 said:

I'm in the camp that Austin was NOT physically/sexually attracted to Becca, but truly didn't want to hurt her feelings by telling her that off-camera.

Agreed. It would have been kinder because it would have head off the begging she was doing - if she knew he wasn’t attracted to her (and she probably did know, even if he didn’t say it, given how much he rejected her), she’d know there was no use asking for intimacy. Said it before, say it again: I’m not begging any man for sex unless begging is part of the sex. It was awful to watch.

21 hours ago, Elizzikra said:

I never got that vibe from him. He always seemed stoned and half asleep to me. I can see him going out with friends if the tide took him that way but I didn’t get the sense that he was the type to always be going out or organizing people to go out. 

Yeah, nothing about Austin said “wild” to me either.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1

If we are going to critique the coupling of Austin and Becca—don’t forget the fact that the experts fixed up a man with a woman who he thought was “going to Hell” because of their religious differences. Not exactly the strongest starting point for a relationship. 

• Like 5
  • Applause 1
4 hours ago, Cramps said:

If we are going to critique the coupling of Austin and Becca—don’t forget the fact that the experts fixed up a man with a woman who he thought was “going to Hell” because of their religious differences. Not exactly the strongest starting point for a relationship. 

Ya Know, I totally forgot about that. If Austin really had felt that strongly about his religion, why would he not indicate that to the experts? He definitely should have been paired with another Christian if that's truly the way he felt. Becca may have been open to being with someone not of her faith, as it seemed as if she wasn't super religious, but once Austin had made that comment about going to Hell, why in the heck would she even want to stay married to him?

These were ALL bad matches all around. Do better, MAFS!

• Like 3
  • Applause 1

Becca's lipstick was too dark & harsh. 😬 Guess she's still too busy believing he didn't want her to ask him WHY. WHY did he want to be married to her? WHY was he attracted to her? Was the marriage the way he wanted? WHY didn't he give her a timeline? Why didn't she try to set a timeline with him? WHY'D he lie about the producer? Oh, but we learned he plugged in the cameras to capture that apartment discussion about optics. 🙄😒 Complete WASTE OF TIME!!! They were supposed to be the golden couple, but couldn't get it together. They didn't even bother with a montage. For any of the couples so far.

• Like 1
(edited)

The different stories are annoying. Too bad there's no recordings. What about messages? 🤔🧐 It doesn't make sense for Cam to suddenly reveal Clare had a bf all these months later. Then why would he continue???!!! Sounds like a complete lie so there goes his credibility. Now I don't believe anything he says. & Now Lauren's saying Orion applied to highlight his community & she was his "consolation prize." That makes no sense. If that was the case, he got what he wanted & could've dropped out before the wedding. Again. If that was true, why continue????!!!! Maybe she used the wrong term, per usual. Do these people not hear the ridiculousness coming out of their mouths?!! 🤨 ZERO FOLLOW-UP to these claims! RIDICULOUS!!!! Who wanted to get married? 🤨 Maybe they all did. Who actually wanted to or intended to stay married beyond 8 weeks? Who actually did it for lifelong marriage & not an experiment or something else???

Edited by Lindz
  • Applause 1

Lauren's dress looked terrible when she was walking to the couch & Orion's outfit is too casual. Did he get back to normal life living with his mom? Why didn't Kev also ask Austin why he was attracted to Becca??? Especially since that's been in question. 🙄 Did he quit the marriage too early? WHY did he quit??? What's the difference between "the process" & the marriage? Why did he later say he was out Day 2, but tell Lauren that stuff days beyond that?! Strong reaction? Stupid question!!! Why did that change things? Was he out at that moment? "Fully just as himself with nothing in between"?!!!! WTAF answer is that?!!! Still doesn't know how to answer questions I see! Asking WTF that means isn't questioning his morals. 🤨 Throw them both away!!!! WE KNOW THEY TALKED ABOUT IT LATER!!! Did he ask about the circumstances? ANYTHING about it? Did he want to know? Did he truly come back from that? Of course Kev didn't ask about him setting Lauren up with that word. Nor ask her how yelling & saying she wanted a divorce was conducive with a healthy, successful marriage. It's sad to see the smile she had at the very beginning in the wedding has long disappeared. 😢 Those parting words were hilarious though. Wish him nothing more than he deserves indeed. 🤣 COMPLETE WASTE!!!! I still don't know WTF he wanted post divorce. 🙄

• Applause 1
On 4/17/2024 at 4:35 PM, ECM1231 said:

Ya Know, I totally forgot about that. If Austin really had felt that strongly about his religion, why would he not indicate that to the experts? He definitely should have been paired with another Christian if that's truly the way he felt. Becca may have been open to being with someone not of her faith, as it seemed as if she wasn't super religious, but once Austin had made that comment about going to Hell, why in the heck would she even want to stay married to him?

These were ALL bad matches all around. Do better, MAFS!

I'll stick up for him here - apparently he told her that he had learned that in church, but SHE was the one fixated upon it with tears in her eyes.  And brought it up a couple times, with the comment that she has a problem with Christians over this, and then mocked it after they had broken up.  IMO she was the one with the religious hangup, not Austin, - and yes, they never should have been matched because of that.

• Like 8

Lauren snapping at Cam was hilarious! They wore pink dresses in protest because their husbands suck & were manipulative? Hmm. Okayyy. I guess that would exclude Chloe & Kev didn't bother asking if she was invited to wear pink or why they were wearing pink. 🤔 Horrible interviewer! 🙄

• Like 1
13 hours ago, princelina said:

I'll stick up for him here - apparently he told her that he had learned that in church,

And of course my question was, "Do you still believe it?"  Which was not really answered, as usual.  There would be an important difference between "No, of course not" and "Yes I do" and "I don't want to but I just can't shake it." 

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
On 4/15/2024 at 9:43 AM, Elizzikra said:

You can look at previous versions of the website on archive.org (an incredibly useful tool these days).  It appears (and we of course have to account for the fact that a website is an advertising tool) that a guy started the business at least 10 years ago (he's the "founder" on the current website) as what looks like a one-man shop fixing carbon fiber bike frames.  There was another guy working there for a little bit, and then more recently Cameron shows up on the website as an "engineer" (he has a master's degree in composite engineering).  And then later Cameron is listed as "Engineer and Co-Owner."

The shop has always been "by appointment only," which is not uncommon for businesses like this.  You contact them to let them know you need your carbon fiber bike frame fixed because you don't want to spend $2,000-$5,000+ on a new one, and they'll arrange for you to drop it off or, more often, you ship it to them. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 5
(edited)

he has a master's degree in composite engineering

I have no idea what that is but I would absolutely suck at it.

The shop has always been "by appointment only," which is not uncommon for businesses like this.  You contact them to let them know you need your carbon fiber bike frame fixed because you don't want to spend $2,000-$5,000+ on a new one, and they'll arrange for you to drop it off or, more often, you ship it to them. 

That makes sense. It doesn't sound as though that type of business would do have many (if any) walk in customers. 

The more I see of Cameron, the less I like him but I do find myself hoping that he continues the bike repair business. He seemed to enjoy it and be good at it and it's definitely a unique way to earn a living.

Edited by Elizzikra
  • Like 3
6 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

And of course my question was, "Do you still believe it?"  Which was not really answered, as usual.  There would be an important difference between "No, of course not" and "Yes I do" and "I don't want to but I just can't shake it." 

I'm pretty sure when they had the conversation and she was weeping to Cal he did ask that question and Austin didn't seem to think it was a big deal and neither did Cal, which is why I don't refer to him as "pastor" anymore.  Becca is the one who kept bringing it up - she is the one with the religion problem IMO.  Which once again is neither of their fault; it's on the "experts".  Proper questioning on the subject of religion would have let them know that Becca doesn't like Christians because they have told her in the past that she is going to hell, and Austin comes from a stricter Christian background which = not a match.  It's not rocket science 😄

• Like 2