Type keyword(s) to search

Season 21: Last Chance Kitchen

• Start Topic

52 minutes ago, dleighg said:

I'm just trying to figure out the logistics. Usually they do this right before the final-- I did notice that her hair was a lot longer. But they flew her back in only for her to say she wasn't doing it?

That could lead credence to Kaleena having an anxiety attack or feeling one coming on. So maybe she intended to compete but changed her mind after she felt the anxiety  creeping in.

4 hours ago, ProudMary said:

When Kaleena walked into the kitchen and announced that she would not be competing, I wondered if contractually she was able to do so. When she raised her mental health as an issue, I assumed that must be one of the "outs" in the contract

I know it's not entirely clear what happened with David Murphy not competing on LCK, but Tom did tweet in response to an inquiry that he opted out, so perhaps it's not actually a contractual requirement, but something most of them want to do just to have the opportunity to get back in.

I was somewhat surprised that Tom didn't give the win to Rasika

I wasn't surprised at all, and not because of any potential strategizing by the show. As soon as Rasika said the seafood would normally be cooked in the sauce but that she was doing it separately, I knew it was telegraphing an issue with the dish, and when she served it with the fish and shrimp just perched on top and not even in the sauce, it was clear to me her fate was sealed unless Kevin really screwed up. There was no way it would be a cohesive dish served that way.

1 hour ago, dleighg said:

I'm just trying to figure out the logistics. Usually they do this right before the final-- I did notice that her hair was a lot longer. But they flew her back in only for her to say she wasn't doing it?

In general, I don't believe anyone departs right after being eliminated, they keep them in seclusion so it's not obvious outside how things are progressing. So in this second batch of contestants, they all are probably still stuck in a hotel in Wisconsin until close to the final anyway. It can't be more than a couple of weeks between her elimination and the determination of the final three or four (depending on how many they take into the finale destination), with eight now left and still presumably an episode where they axe two to make the numbers come out right.

• Like 4
12 minutes ago, caitmcg said:

So in this second batch of contestants, they all are probably still stuck in a hotel in Wisconsin until close to the final anyway.

unless the have a gap between the end of the main season and the finale. 

7 minutes ago, dleighg said:

unless they have a gap between the end of the main season and the finale. 

I meant until the contestants who are going into the finale (before they do the inevitable last elimination at the finale destination). So between Kaleena being eliminated and the end of the show in situ in Milwaukee, she's undoubtedly there regardless.

6 hours ago, dleighg said:

But they flew her back in only for her to say she wasn't doing it?

She's based in Chicago.  No need to fly her back in.

• Like 1
(edited)

The episode with Kaleena on Beat Bobby Flay was just on here, so I bit the bullet and cringed my way through Sunny Anderson, who was a judge (normally I skip anything she's on).  Kaleena spoke about her struggles with anxiety and panic attacks, and how she hoped she could set a good example of facing your problems.  She smoked Bobby Flay with a seafood boil - yeah!

Edited by Ancaster
  • Like 2
  • Useful 1
20 minutes ago, Ancaster said:

The episode with Kaleena on Beat Bobby Flay was just on here, so I bit the bullet and cringed my way through Sunny Anderson, who was a judge (normally I skip anything she's on).  Kaleena spoke about her struggles with anxiety and panic attacks, and how she hoped she could set a good example of facing your problems.  She smoked Bobby Flay with a seafood boil - yeah!

Is she the one who did the PNW inspired boil? I remember someone doing that.

4 hours ago, Salacious Kitty said:

Is she the one who did the PNW inspired boil? I remember someone doing that.

That's the one.  And for once Bobby didn't rely on southwestern flavors. 

• Like 2
(edited)

Mise en Place race between Kevin, Amanda, and Laura.  Prep five items, that you have to use in your dish.    Amanda wins, and gets a time advantage, Kevin is second, Laura is third.  

Kevin overcooks the chicken, and he's gone.  Laura and Amanda advance to the next round of LCK. Tom said LCK finale next week, and then the winner of Amanda vs. Laura go back to the competition.   I'm rooting for Amanda.     

However, does whoever is eliminiated next week go to LCK?  And a three way cook off or what?   Apparently after next LCK one goes back to the competition.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 2

It's a Mise En Place Relay Race | Last Chance Kitchen (S21 E8) | Bravo
Bravo   May 15, 2024

Can The Chefs Turn 5 Ingredients Into a Winning Dish? | Last Chance Kitchen (S21 E8) | Bravo
Bravo   May 15, 2024

• Like 2

That was fun! 

I could certainly never do what they did, but they all had good attitudes and seemed to be enjoying the process.

• Like 4
(edited)
On 5/13/2024 at 10:40 PM, Ancaster said:

The episode with Kaleena on Beat Bobby Flay was just on here, so I bit the bullet and cringed my way through Sunny Anderson, who was a judge (normally I skip anything she's on).  

I seem to encounter Kaleena every time I turn on the Food Network.  She also won on Chopped, and her episode was on right before the newest one this past Tuesday.

Edited by Rammchick
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Tom had such a "Dammit!" face when all three dishes were fantastic and he had to pick which one was the least fantastic.  At least Kevin made it easy for him; even if the thigh was perfect and the breast only slightly overdone, if the other two cook everything perfectly and one is a hair off, that's the one getting eliminated.

I love Amanda's laugh, so I'm glad she's still around.  (I have no problem with Laura, I just particularly like Amanda.)

• Like 5

I've always loved watching the mise en place race, so this was fun. I knew the winner's advantage would be a little more cook time (because it always is), and Amanda got lucky getting that extra 5 minutes to use when making a dessert. And Laura was doubly lucky, in a way, in that a white fish fillet was the quickest to cook and that the prep called for chiffonading the kale, so that she didn't have to spend more time getting it to a point where it would become tender or break down in a short time. I'm always impressed when they can multitask on three or more things and not let more delicate elements like sponge cake or fish fillets get overdone in their frenzy. And not managing it this time lost Kevin the challenge.

I was fully prepared for Tom to find that the cheddar frico didn't fit or add anything to Amanda's dessert (though it helped when she mentioned adding honey to it). Of the three dishes, Laura's was the one I really wanted to try, which is certainly the first time I've thought that this season.

• Like 6
16 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

However, does whoever is eliminiated next week go to LCK?  And a three way cook off or what?   Apparently after next LCK one goes back to the competition.   

Yes, next week's PYKAGd chef will go to LCK. If past seasons are indicators, it'll probably be a two-parter, eliminating one in the first round and then the final two in a cook off with the winner returning to the main competition. 

Am I alone in thinking that Amanda was high during her TH segments? (My search for a weed emoji was futile. 😉)

• LOL 2

Am I alone in thinking that Amanda was high during her TH segments? (My search for a weed emoji was futile.

Certainly all three of them gave off a "what the hell, I'm just going to have fun and I'm really not going to die if I don't win this thing" attitude. I think there was probably a gap in time that reminded them that there is life outside of TC (much like the hostages released from The Bachelor/Bachelorette)

• Like 2
  • LOL 1
12 hours ago, tvfanatic13 said:

Dear lord, I never realized how annoying Amanda’s voice is until this episode. 

Her voice, her laugh, her enormous immobile forehead, all irritate and grate on me hugely.  Sorry to be so shallow, but she got so much airtime

Spoiler

in LCK

it was impossible for me to ignore her.

Edited by Ancaster
  • Like 1
  • Angry 1
  • LOL 1

I just finished watching, so I reserve the right to change my mind, but I'm really disappointed for Amanda. I know the judges didn't hear the banter and exposition during most of the cook, but that Amanda made a dish up on the spot, while Laura based hers on something she cooks in her restaurant felt unfair to me. Of course a dish she's thought about enough to put on her menu is going to be more finished and assured than something Amanda conjured out of thin air. They both had the same time constraints, but Laura had familiarity on her side.

I'll admit that I was pulling for Amanda, so I'm sure I'm biased. She did seem to have a very good attitude about being eliminated. I hope she truly is proud of herself. I was impressed by her cooking! I guess I won't be sad if Laura doesn't make it to the finale. I did feel bad for Soo. 

• Like 1
On 5/16/2024 at 5:50 PM, ProudMary said:

Am I alone in thinking that Amanda was high during her TH segments? (My search for a weed emoji was futile. 😉)

I was rather floored watching her talking heads. She seemed SO heavily medicated or something. Wow!

• Like 1

Can Past Quickfire Challenges Inspire a Winning Dish? | Last Chance Kitchen (S21 E10) | Bravo
Bravo   May 22, 2024

The Last Chance Kitchen Winner is Crowned! | Last Chance Kitchen (S21 E10) | Bravo
Bravo   May 22, 2024