Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E08: Murder on the High Seas

• Start Topic

Ben’s careless mistake leaves the guests and crew stranded on a remote beach at night in the middle of a storm. A new deckhand arrives and immediately has many members on board swooning, but looks can also be deceiving. Sunny’s insecurities threaten to ruin her relationship with Ben. Fraser shares a surprising and steamy kiss with one of the crew.

Airs 3.25.2024

Was Ben actually careless or was is a producer issue for requiring a beach picnic in an area with low tide and windy conditions?

I like how Captain pitches in as they're short handed. The new deckhand Derrick gives off a very strange vibe. I won't go as far as saying serial killer vibe but watching him on TV makes me a little uneasy.

Sunny should just talk to Xandi directly. Then again, we'd miss out on the drunken drama. 

I'm surprised the Chef doesn't have one of stews/deckhands helping in the kitchen. Even on some of the smaller boats used in earlier seasons, Ben (and others) would get an assist from the crew. That's a large galley for one chef and while I understand the messiness bothers Fraser, at least it's away from the guests and the stew pantry. 

• Like 6

I enjoyed last nights episode more than most so far this season, Kate always had something planned for the guests and it took so long for Fraser to get on board with doing something creative.

I will forever wonder why those theme dinners always have to look so tacky when all the captain will talk about is Seven Star Service!

Chef Frenchy's food and plating is outstanding, I will never not like him. And @snarts is right, where is the deck crew, they usually help with galley work, they could have demoted Jared and given him that job.

Capt. Kerry has yet to resort to acting like Capt. Sandy screaming about maritime law and telling her department heads they are cancer or smelly fish and Kerry has not whipped out some corny phrasing as an insult and I have yet to hear him mutter a "G-d damn it," in response to someone's hair not being in a pony tail or getting his Cherrios being delivered late...Capt. Kerry has the power to make me forget all those captains and I thank him for that.

The fancy beach picnic trope, oy make it go away and limit the beach visits for swimming and cocktail and bag lunches.

Sunny looked beautiful on their night out, why does she even like Ben he seems boring and has a wandering dick.

• Like 8
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3

And new guy, I cannot figure him out, I think he looks like if Ben and Fraser had a baby it would be new guy.  His voice/laughing is annoying.

Fraser was making out with one of the deckies in the van, who was it, new guy?

If my job description included drinking till I felt sick and pass out I don't think I could do that job. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Kerry raved about the beach but they showed some reef and that thin beach.  He said it was worth it for them to risk beaching the boats and possible injuries to guests and crew.  Guests seem to enjoy it but more than any other beach?

I think in BDDU they went to this small island which was basically a mound of sand that stuck out at low tide.  When high tide came in it was almost all underwater and the crew had to rush to get guests on and off the island, probably for a short photo opportunity and the suspense of whether they’d get off the island in time.

Guests also seemed to enjoy the Murder Mystery but they just laid clues in those envelopes until the reveal.  It was more like laying breadcrumbs.  Whatever, guests got to play dress up and booze made them enjoy it.  I just scratched my head, wondering what the big deal was.  Oh they were down two crew and still had to entertain the drunken guests.

Anthony had to spend 3-4 hours cleaning up the galley by himself.  On other BD shows deckhands did dishes all through dinner service but here the deck crew was setting up the underwhelming Murder Mystery game.

So is the chef’s lack of “organization” a real thing?  Anthony even noted that he doesn’t have a sous chef, which suggests that he should given the workload.

New guy the women swoon but they joked that as soon as he opened his mouth, they just wanted him for a one night stand.  Let’s see if he’s competent since Ben said he may be in running for lead deck hand.

Previews for rest of season, another firing and looks like they revisit insubordination so Fraser and Barbie clash again.

• Like 3
8 hours ago, aqusdealer said:

Ben’s careless mistake leaves the guests and crew stranded on a remote beach at night in the middle of a storm.

Huh? Nobody got stranded. Almost, maybe, according to the narrative, but it wasn't Ben's fault. 

8 hours ago, aqusdealer said:

Sunny’s insecurities threaten to ruin her relationship with Ben.

What? I'd call that a gross mischaracterization. (And I know this wasn't your synopsis, @aqusdealer, you're just passing it along from Bravo.) Ben is a fuckboi and any girl willing to go to bed with him needs to realize it's not a "relationship" because he's got a wandering eye. Ben pretending to be all confused about why Sunny runs hot and cold was ridiculous, as is Sunny if she thinks this is a "relationship."

I'm so tired of this storyline, whether it's Ben or Gary on BDSY or whoever, it's the same story over and over, there's the designated fuckboi and the girl who stupidly believes it's a "relationship" and the next night out the guy is flirting with one of the other girls. Seen it, seen it, seen it. Move onto something new, Bravo. 

The "murder mystery" was thrown together at the last minute by Kyle and Ben of all people, Fraser couldn't even be bothered. And they're right it was more of a treasure hunt than a murder mystery. Really lame. Fraser should have put more effort into it and started planning as soon as they read through the preference sheet and saw the request for it. And that was before Cat bailed on them.

New guy's got stupid hair. And I'm so sick of these gorgeous models who claim they were bullied because they were so fat and ugly as children. Shut up, models. Most people would need reconstructive surgery to look like you. 

2 hours ago, Baltimore Betty said:

Fraser was making out with one of the deckies in the van, who was it, new guy?

It was Kyle. In an earlier episode he said he'd made out with another guy before which is how he knew he wasn't homosexual. Which, whatever. Maybe he swings both ways.

• Like 4
  • LOL 3
1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

The "murder mystery" was thrown together at the last minute by Kyle and Ben of all people, Fraser couldn't even be bothered. And they're right it was more of a treasure hunt than a murder mystery. Really lame. Fraser should have put more effort into it and started planning as soon as they read through the preference sheet and saw the request for it. And that was before Cat bailed on them.

IIRC, in a previous season, there was a murder mystery, but it wasn't incumbent on the staff to create it. The chief stew just ordered a murder mystery kit from the provisioner. So, why creating a mystery became an issue this time speaks more of producer-created issues than actual problems. 

• Like 2
  • Useful 2

This episode made me question the editing a little more.

When I was hearing Xandi complain about Barbie's frenetic efforts, and how her inability to prioritize tasks, or communicate effectively, was getting Xandi down.

This must have been what Fraser has been experiencing non-stop when he talked to the captain about possibly replacing Barbie.

• Like 2

Look up “trying too hard” in the dictionary and you’ll find a picture of the new deckhand.   He’s very pretty (stupid hair cut aside) but there doesn’t seem to be a lot going on up stairs.  Every time he would start talking, I just kept thinking-you just sit there and look pretty honey.  

• Like 3
  • LOL 5

Sunny:  "I'm feeling really positive about Ben and I's relationship right now."  ☢️

I think the deal with the galley is that the chef regularly creates mayhem through his disorganization and surfeit of dirty pots and pans, which the interior crew cleans up (maybe partially, maybe totally.)  But because they're shorthanded, no one was available to tackle the dirty dishes and it took the chef several hours to clean up his own mess.

Couldn't care less about Ben and Sunny.

As usual, I am dumbfounded that these pretty children spend their days in aquamarine paradise, have room, board and clothing provided, rake in $1000/day in tips on top of salary and still have the nerve to complain.

• Like 6
  • Applause 2
  • Love 3

Some of the deck crew should have been watching pots instead of playing murder mystery and then going straight to bed.  Captain should make sure chef has help in the galley.

• Like 4
  • Applause 2
23 hours ago, rur said:

IIRC, in a previous season, there was a murder mystery, but it wasn't incumbent on the staff to create it. The chief stew just ordered a murder mystery kit from the provisioner. So, why creating a mystery became an issue this time speaks more of producer-created issues than actual problems. 

The only other "murder mystery" I can recall was on BDSY and Chief Stew Daisy created it. I don't remember any other instance where it was pre-arranged by the provisioner. Regardless, that's something the chief stew shouldn't wait until the last minute to arrange and then hand off to someone else.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

Geez, you can buy a murder mystery game and have it on hand for dumb theme nights.  I'm willing to bet you can even print one right off of the internet.  More producer shenanigans.

Chef needs help with the pots and pans, I don't remember any other chef being stuck with all of them, there was always someone washing in the galley.

• Like 6
  • Love 1

Interestingly, new deckhand Dylan showed up on Vanderpump Rules last night. Does Bravo maintain a stable of attractive newbies to insert as needed?

• Mind Blown 2
  • Useful 3
18 hours ago, JudgeyMcJudgyPants said:

Look up “trying too hard” in the dictionary and you’ll find a picture of the new deckhand.   He’s very pretty (stupid hair cut aside) but there doesn’t seem to be a lot going on up stairs.  Every time he would start talking, I just kept thinking-you just sit there and look pretty honey.

HAHAHAHA

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
On 3/26/2024 at 9:02 AM, Baltimore Betty said:

why does she even like Ben he seems boring and has a wandering dick.

Ding...Ding...Ding..."Quote of the day!"   🤣

• Like 2
  • LOL 2
15 hours ago, snarts said:

Interestingly, new deckhand Dylan showed up on Vanderpump Rules last night. Does Bravo maintain a stable of attractive newbies to insert as needed?

I imagine a waiting room full of wannabe's waiting to be told whether or not they are working on dry land or on a boat, that day Dylan got the nod for dry land.  Also, (is her name Katie, I think it is), Ben now has Katie's unflattering hair cut, he was on WWHL and I thought it was Katie (name?).

Ben seems the sort that nobody is allowed to be better at deck handing than he is.

To quote Talking Heads about the new guy:

"Lights on; nobody home"

I'm impressed how much physical work Kerry does helping out.

No other Captain comes close (at least that we see)

Sunny is going to get burned, again, but that just seems it's the way she is.  Jumps in with both feet and without looking first.

• Like 4
On 3/27/2024 at 9:46 AM, iMonrey said:

The only other "murder mystery" I can recall was on BDSY and Chief Stew Daisy created it. I don't remember any other instance where it was pre-arranged by the provisioner. Regardless, that's something the chief stew shouldn't wait until the last minute to arrange and then hand off to someone else.

I do know from experience there are murder mystery packages that include all the props needed and it appears Fraser did get one (with the notepads, other props and the list of clues they could use). He just needed the deckhands to copy out the clues - make them relevant to the boat, and place them around the decks/rooms. Why editing tried to make it appear difficult is beyond me.

• Like 3

Hah! Several decades ago someone gave me a murder mystery kit, I never used it, never had time for it, never wanted to do it, I guess I am not a game player, it would be the last thing I would want to do on my luxury yacht vacation.

Cheesy theme parties are the biggest waste of time and energy on these boats, these luxury yachts where every captain yells about 5, 6, 7 star service all seem to be happy when the guests are gathered around the table decorated with childish Oriental Trading Co. decor.

As for the captains screaming about 5,6,7 star service yet when the interior department head comes to them and says they do not think a stew is doing a good job, is causing issues, has a bad attitude the captain always sends them back with a "well you just have to train them, handle them, etc..." so much for giving all the stars service. 

• Like 4

I can kind of see long hours on the yacht, away fro restaurants and cafes, could be boring for the guests.

They get good food and get to drink as much as possible.

But it could still leave several hours and rather than turn in, guests may want some kind of entertainment.

So while I think the shows and theme parties are mostly driven by producers to make the crew do things, guests would want to be entertained.

But I doubt they're saying "put on this theme party for me."  It's more like "surprise me" or they're given a list of possible choices and they choose.

They could give them some board games and let them fend for themselves.  Or just offer tender service to the coast so they could go to some town.

Producers would want the crew to entertain them but it's the fiction about the guests asking for these things that viewers roll their eyes at.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

@aghst back when the show first started the theme parties and theme dinners were included because the show wanted to depict what a real luxury yacht charter trip looked like, and sometimes guests did request wacky things like that. Sometimes. So we were given extreme examples of guests who demand extreme things just so we would see how the crew sometimes has to really jump through hoops. Sometimes.

However, every charter? No. 

Now it's just built into the formula and I suspect some of the guests either request things because they've seen them do them on the show or else are given a list of things by production to choose from.

In reality, if the guests wanted entertainment after dinner when it's too dark to do water stuff, there's a huge TV in the salon and they could watch movies and stuff. I'm sure they also bring aboard their own devices. But that wouldn't be entertaining for us.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
9 hours ago, iMonrey said:

@aghst back when the show first started the theme parties and theme dinners were included because the show wanted to depict what a real luxury yacht charter trip looked like, and sometimes guests did request wacky things like that. Sometimes. So we were given extreme examples of guests who demand extreme things just so we would see how the crew sometimes has to really jump through hoops. Sometimes.

However, every charter? No. 

Now it's just built into the formula and I suspect some of the guests either request things because they've seen them do them on the show or else are given a list of things by production to choose from.

I've seen this happen on all the reality shows. Fame-hungry people apply to be on them and the reality is lost.  After the first year or two, the shows are just repeating popular tropes and storylines.  For the Below Deck franchise, it's a lot of hooking up among crew members and crazy/rude guests.  I'm still hanging in there with Below Deck, but I've given up on some of them.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Rewatching and Fraser whining about chef really ticks me off.  Maybe you could pitch in and help instead of being a whining  Glam-boi wannabe.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
On 4/1/2024 at 5:32 PM, PaperTree said:

Rewatching and Fraser whining about chef really ticks me off.  Maybe you could pitch in and help instead of being a whining  Glam-boi wannabe.

I have a feeling Fraser is trying to support Anthony, but he tends to have a dramatic narrative when talking about it. I prefer when the chief stews offer support and/or advice to the chefs.  We've seen some good teams over the years.  I remember when Hannah was trying to help Kiko with some ideas.  Well, that didn't end so well, but it was nice to see..

• Like 2

I get the impression that Fraser really likes to have someone to pick on. First, it was Barbie, and now he seems to be going after Chef, whom he initially seemed quite friendly with - even chatting with his Maman. Was the kitchen a huge mess? Yes. But Chef is cranking out huge amounts of complicated food for guests and also does really nice food for the crew. He is a one-man show on a boat big enough to require four stews. And let's not forget that Chef cleaned up all of his OWN mess. Fraser did not help, nor was he asked to get involved. When Anthony had trouble sorting out breakfast after getting like 3 hours sleep, Fraser acts all put out that he has to spend 10 minutes helping Anthony come up with a menu. This after Frser dumped the murder mystery prep on the deck crew. If Fraser wanted to help Anthony instead of being a petty, critical bitch, he would have had a personal conversation with him as opposed to declaring to an audience on a night out that he is going to confront Chef for his sloppiness and lack of organization. Fraser could never come close to preparing the amount of quality food Anthony does in a million years.

I am a good home cook. I have some skill. I will never be an Anthony, either. But I sure as shit know that cooking is messy work and complicated dishes all prepared a la minute require a LOT of dishes. The chef is not preparing a dump meal in a crock pot that can sit for three hours while he cleans and organizes the kitchen. And again, he has no sous chef or kitchen support and the pantry is far away from the kitchen. 

It just irritates me when Frser exaggerates a problem and then claims he is doing extra work that he isn't. And then he acts all flippant about good managers delegating their work to others when the deck crew helped him. Anthony is one of the best, hardest working, and most drama-free chefs we have ever had on a BD series, and fucking Fraser is still finding fault. Fraser is really turning into a toxic brat, and it's a shame because I used to really like him. 

• Like 4
  • Applause 3

If Fraser was half as effective as a leader that he seems to think he is there would be nothing to film. 

• LOL 4
3 hours ago, Shrek said:

If Fraser was half as effective as a leader that he seems to think he is there would be nothing to film. 

Well if things went smoothly all the time, there would be no conflict, tension, drama.

Bravo wouldn't want that.

In fact most of the footage they record may be routine, unremarkable as far as nothing going wrong.

But they want to show the things that don't go smoothly.

And if things go smoothly too much, they are biased towards stirring things up, because they believe confrontations and how people react to stress brings ratings.