Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E02: Skin In The Game

• Start Topic

TUESDAY, FEB. 27 10:00-11:00 p.m. EST

Shaun struggles to accommodate the newest member of his surgical team, Charlie, who interferes in a patient's relationship with his daughter. Elsewhere, Park tackles a tricky brain tumor, and Lea and Morgan adjust to motherhood.

• Like 1

"I made good arguments for and against sex work."

"Are you considering a career change...?"

That made me LOL :D. But awwww, that was a nice ending with Shaun and Glassman. I also liked Morgan helping Lea with new mom stuff. I especially liked how she quickly ushered Shaun out when he implied Lea was being hormonal :p. Quick thinking, Morgan!

I can see where people would be very overwhemled by Charlie, yes. And I can very much sympathize with Shaun's frustration around her. But I do also like the show acknowledging all the awkward moments and unfortunate slips of the tongue that the doctors had when they first started out, and I can also sympathize with Charlie's awkwardness as well, 'cause I would probably be the same way if I were first starting out in this field, so...(hell, I work at a medical clinic where my main job is filling out FMLA paperwork and I guarantee I've had many moments where I feel like I'm a bit in over my head :p). I did like how Jared tried to help smooth things over during all of Charlie's awkward moments, though. 

I think the guy playing the gambling patient was in an episode of "Criminal Minds" once , as the agent of an actress who was being stalked :D. Definitely feel like Park was projecting pretty heavily with his issues, but I'm glad the procedure turned out well. 

The story with the guy and his daughter was interesting. I like how they resolved that, too. 

• Like 7
1 hour ago, Annber03 said:

I think the guy playing the gambling patient was in an episode of "Criminal Minds" once

Peter Jacobson: He was also a doctor on "HOUSE" and he had a role in "As Good As It Gets."

• Like 6
  • Useful 1

Kayla Cromer was thoroughly enjoyable as Charlie - I am so happy to see her on my screen again! She did the best she could with what she was given. Yay, representation!

I wonder if David Shore is going to try to get everyone who was on House in the final season? We had Robert Sean Leonard, Anne Dudek, Lisa Edelstein, and now Peter Jacobson. I mean we probably aren't going to get Hugh Laurie, but maybe we can get Jennifer Morrison, Jesse Spencer, Kal Penn, or Omar Epps?

• Like 7

I really enjoyed the friendship between Dom and Charlie. 

Also, Morgan has mellowed a lot and is much more likable now than she ever was before. It kind of bums me out that I like her more in her role as a mom than as a doctor. That seems... wrong.

I don't know where Charlie gets her confidence. Actually, I thought she was waaaaay too full of herself, going rogue and rearranging the stockroom without permission, and a few other times. I realize that they did the same thing with Shaun-- so that we all wondered how he got through medical school having meltdowns and now I wonder how Charlie never took the memo to keep her mouth shut, follow sterile protocol in the OR, and not to argue with supervisors. BUT: I also think it's an excellent kick in the ass for Shaun to see the teaching role from the other direction. And I appreciated the effort to show the other residents had also fucked up when new-- though honestly, it makes me cringe to think about how badly people are probably behaving i9n sensitive situations. Saying "ew" when handed a newborn? Yikes.

How will Dom manage, even as a general practitioner, if he can't handle blood? Won't he have to be able to deal with bodies in all their leaky glory? How did he do the corpse dissections in med school? Still, I like him and I hope he can work it out.

Lim and Glassman being petty children in stead of seriously working out how to handle their shared job is stupid writing and I hate it.

Enjoyed the decision to have Glassman and Shaun disagree but accept their familial connection anyway. It's not wasy sometimes, b ut it seems to me like a good decision. They were both kind of right and kind of wrong in their conflict, and neither of them was going to budge, so whatever. Just hold the baby. 

• Like 7
9 minutes ago, possibilities said:

I really enjoyed the friendship between Dom and Charlie. 

That little dance scene with them at the end was really cute :).

How will Dom manage, even as a general practitioner, if he can't handle blood? Won't he have to be able to deal with bodies in all their leaky glory? How did he do the corpse dissections in med school? Still, I like him and I hope he can work it out.

I wondered the same thing. I don't blame him for being squeamish about that stuff, mind, I would be, too...but that's precisely one of many reasons I never took up becoming a nurse or doctor :p. 

But yeah, maybe it just takes a little longer for some people, who knows. 

• Like 2

Guess it was about that time for another House Alumni to show up!  Always great seeing Peter Jacobson and he did a reliably good job with the role, even if it was obvious that he wasn't going to change despite his "promise" to Park.  To be fair, that is realistic in that it usually takes a lot for addicts to finally get help and it's even not out of the realm of possibility he could get there some day, but I can definitely see him already relapsing and I understand why Park felt betrayed after going through this risky surgery for someone who may not put his new lease on life to good use.

So, we get some new team members to the surgical teams and they are unsurprisingly causing a little bit of drama and conflict (such is life on The Good Doctor!)  Charlie is definitely an interesting case where Shaun is probably going to see and maybe understand how it was like to be his teacher/mentor in the past.  While she isn't just a carbon copy of him since her autism makes her more of an outgoing chatterbox than he is/was and I definitely don't think he ever would have made a sterile mistake like she did, all of the awkward moments with patients, putting her foot in her mouth in general, and not knowing when to just let her boss talk instead of trying to argue?  Yep, Shaun is/was no stranger to all of of that!  Curious to see how this will play out.  I do like that Jared is trying to help guide her, because he was there with Season One Shaun when all of that was going down, and I remember him also being more patient compared to some others.

Dom seems like a likable fellow and I liked his scenes with Charlie.  But the whole issue with blood and fainting will certainly have to be addressed because, to put it mildly, you will be dealing with a lot of that in the medical field!

Surprised it took us this long for Ian Tracey to show up because I'm pretty sure it's a requirement for every show shot in Canada to have him in at least one episode (including Remo in Bates Motel!)  The case with his character and the daughter was solid enough and certainly took on the hot button issue of sex work.  Won't dive too much into that except that no matter how one views it, I'd hate for a parent to completely cut off his child like that, so I'm glad he came around at the end, even if he probably isn't completely comfortable with her doing that kind of work.

While it got a few chuckles, I did think that Glassman and Lim's little games were childish and were a weird juxtaposition to everything else going on.  I know this show shouldn't always be dour and there have been plenty of comedic moments and stories, but it just felt off watching these two practically goof off the entire episode while everyone else are trying not to have aneurysms with all the stress they were dealing with.

The scenes with Reznick and Lea were nice.

Actually liked that it was Shaun's turn to be upset with Glassman, because even if they had a moment of peace last week, he'd would still be understandably upset: especially with Glassman waiting two weeks to even see Baby Steve.  But I'm glad they both seem to be willing to move forward now, because life really is too short for them to be at odds like that and not enjoy this new family they are part of.

• Like 2
6 hours ago, preeya said:
7 hours ago, Annber03 said:

I think the guy playing the gambling patient was in an episode of "Criminal Minds" once

Peter Jacobson: He was also a doctor on "HOUSE" and he had a role in "As Good As It Gets."

Peter Jacobson's been in everything!  He was also attorney Randy Dworkin AND pimp Bart Ganzel in Law & Order SVU and Law & Order mothership.

Oh, Shaun -- we could just hear everyone's eyes rolling when he said "No one ever made things easier for me!"  If he only knew!

• Like 3
  • LOL 2
1 hour ago, The Wild Sow said:

Peter Jacobson's been in everything!  He was also attorney Randy Dworkin AND pimp Bart Ganzel in Law & Order SVU and Law & Order mothership.

Oh, Shaun -- we could just hear everyone's eyes rolling when he said "No one ever made things easier for me!"  If he only knew!

Yes one of those actors you don’t know his name but know his face.  Absolutely on everything. 

wonder if they could  make a new show around Charlie?

• Like 1
(edited)

Looks like we have a few new little ducklings! I like Dom and Charlie so far, although Dom really needs to figure out this blood thing, it seems like a real issue for a medical practitioner. They have a really cute friendship, their dance at the end was adorable. 

Charlie is very much reminding Shaun of himself and he is really not sure how to handle that. Her behaviors are certainly different from Shaun, she's more of a hyper chatter box, but they certainly have a lot in common, especially from back when Shaun had just started at the hospital. She really needs to focus on finding a way to understand when to say something and when not to and work on sensory issues like touching her face during surgery, which is all easier said than done but nevertheless will make her time as a doctor a lot more productive. 

Both cases of the week were pretty good, I especially liked the dad and daughter story, I like how things played out and how it let us explore another aspect of being a parent. I knew that something was up with the daughter and the career her dad was bragging about, but I didn't guess camgirl! Park was so obviously projecting with his patient, I swear if I ever get some kind of rare deadly illness I am going to write up a contract that says no doctor can use my medical care as a way to deal with their own personal issues. 

Very glad that Glassman and Shaun seem to be making more steps in the right direction, but they're still not there and probably wont be until Glassman acknowledges that Shaun had a good reason to do what he did and for Shaun to see why Glassman is so upset.

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Like 5
9 hours ago, Diana Berry said:

I wondered about that, too. Maybe trying again for another potential spinoff? 

• Like 1

Unpopular opinion: I’m surprised so many commenters seem to like Charlie. I found her annoying as hell. Is the show trying to imply that a person with ASD who’s obviously very smart could not have learned by her age that running her mouth constantly is something to avoid? You don’t even have to be able to read the social cues of the people around you to grasp the concept that talking too much is not a good thing.

I couldn’t help thinking that someone who (compulsively?) spills the beans at the first opportunity (after invading the daughter’s privacy) is going to make a lousy doctor who violates HIPAA frequently.

As to the brain operation: seriously? I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: why does this hospital have general surgeons doing neurosurgery? That makes no sense! Was Glassman the only actual neurosurgeon in the entire hospital?

• Like 9
  • Useful 1
16 hours ago, Diana Berry said:

Yes one of those actors you don’t know his name but know his face.  Absolutely on everything. 

I'd love to see Kayla Cromer starring in another show... but only if it had better writers. And autism consultants that are listened to.

10 minutes ago, CarpeFelis said:

Unpopular opinion: I’m surprised so many commenters seem to like Charlie. I found her annoying as hell. Is the show trying to imply that a person with ASD who’s obviously very smart could not have learned by her age that running her mouth constantly is something to avoid? You don’t even have to be able to read the social cues of the people around you to grasp the concept that talking too much is not a good thing.

I couldn’t help thinking that someone who (compulsively?) spills the beans at the first opportunity (after invading the daughter’s privacy) is going to make a lousy doctor who violates HIPAA frequently.

Honestly, for me, 99% of it was Kayla Cromer. I missed her being on my TV - if you haven't seen her before, check out Everything's Gonna Be Okay, streaming on Hulu - she was the first autistic actor to play an autistic lead on a TV show!

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
6 hours ago, CarpeFelis said:

As to the brain operation: seriously? I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: why does this hospital have general surgeons doing neurosurgery? That makes no sense! Was Glassman the only actual neurosurgeon in the entire hospital?

Totally agree on the brain operation.  To show Park doing it all while being assisted by a resident is ridiculous. There would have been multiple disciplines needed to be involved; particularly an oral maxillofacial surgeon, but hey, who knows, maybe Park is an expert at everything. 😃

I agree that Charlie's verbal interactions with the patient and his daughter were inappropriate, but I think there's a lot more to it than learning to control herself.  She is pretty new to interacting with patients.  Everything is new & different.  Many autistic people don't do well in this situation.  She is probably very nervous.  When autistic people are nervous or upset they tend to "stim".  It is a way of trying to deal with what they're feeling & to comfort themselves.  We saw it when she kept grabbing her earring.  It's entirely possible the verbosity is also a stim.   Hopefully, like Shawn, she'll be given time to adjust and possibly, once she feels more comfortable, the stimming will lessen.  Shawn is still inappropriate at times, but with the guidance of those around him, he has become much more adept at handling personal interactions; although, I was quite surprised he was so abrupt with telling lung transplant guy his diagnosis.  He's been shown handling similar situations in a much better way. 

In a way, it was kind of funny to see Shawn irritated by Charlie's behaviour.  His behaviour has irritated his colleagues many times and you would think he could recognize himself in some of Charlie's behaviour and cut her some slack.  I guess the "you can't see the forest for the trees" comes into play.....

• Like 3

I agree with the absurdities of that surgery. Why making this so complicated and overdramatic just to show that Park is a good surgeon? Why not having him saving someone's life and be happy about it. Plus, who decides in a surgery like that without consulting with more oncologists and surgeons? 

Same thing with the transplant story. "you need a transplant" "I will stay here and have it here" "Ok, we have the lungs, let's go". I swear, the writers are a bunch of teenagers or lazy people who don't even try to go deep in their brains for things that make sense. I know, the show is one hour but at least add a line or two to make it less unbelievable. 

Charlie is there just as a nod from the producers to the autistic community. Still, as with Shaun and his meltdowns that, in real life, would prevent him from advancing in the career, she would not get where she is if she had't worked in some basic rule-following stuff. I know so many autistic people and cannot place any one of them, as they are, in the same position, just doing whatever they need to regulate themselves. On the contrary. pretty much all autistics  I know do follow rules. She had enough time to learn other ways to regulate herself when a "disorganized" stockroom needs her input. 

Same with the lack of awareness when violating confidentiality. Autistic people I know, virtually all of them, are so strict about privacy, they can be annoying. Any photo of an autistic person (or any person, really) on social media needs to come with a disclaimer that the person consented to that. If the disclaimer is not there, one can be sure to receive several comments asking for clarification. I agree that one should ask for consent but the bombardment of complaints/observations when it cones the autistic community is really immediate. Charlie would certainly know better than that. I guess the writers are falling into the stereotype trap and throwing it all at Charlie now. 

So, Lea is still breastfeeding and adding formula, right? So, why is she so happy to be able to drink alcohol again? I mean, if you believe a glass of wine will damage your breast feeding child, and you are supplementing with formula, you are still breast feeding so it makes no sense. Personally, I think that the pregnancy-breastfeeding-alcohol narrative in TV shows is a bit much, a trope really. An occasional sip or glass of light alcoholic beverage will not cause permanent damage to a fetus or a baby. There is a lot more that go into why a child is born disabled. The "blame the alcohol" is just a "blame the mother" in disguise because people have a hard time accepting disabilities in general and blaming the mother is the go-to for so many things.

The Lim and Glassman are just silly. If the writers want to make that story be the comic relief part of the episode, they need to do much better. It wasn't funny, just childish.

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
3 hours ago, circumvent said:

So, Lea is still breastfeeding and adding formula, right? So, why is she so happy to be able to drink alcohol again? I mean, if you believe a glass of wine will damage your breast feeding child, and you are supplementing with formula, you are still breast feeding so it makes no sense.

I think the idea is that you continue giving formula until the alcohol is out of your system.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

Yes, "pump and dump" is what you do if you want to drink alcohol and then return to breastfeeding. And it's much easier to do that if you are supplementing with formula, because the baby doesn't miss a feeding.

I wondered who was paying for the complicated longshot surgery.

• Useful 1
1 hour ago, CarpeFelis said:

I think the idea is that you continue giving formula until the alcohol is out of your system.

That makes no sense to me. On top of the idea that a glass of wine will damage a child, Lea is still acting like it is all about her. If a doctor tells a mother that she should give formula to the kid because the breast milk doesn't seem to be enough, I want to think that a mother would just do it, because it is the best for the kid. Lea was trying to add some stuff to her diet - maybe chemicals, pharmaceuticals? because she felt bad. It is not about her, it is about the kid.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1
8 hours ago, circumvent said:

That makes no sense to me. On top of the idea that a glass of wine will damage a child, Lea is still acting like it is all about her. If a doctor tells a mother that she should give formula to the kid because the breast milk doesn't seem to be enough, I want to think that a mother would just do it, because it is the best for the kid. Lea was trying to add some stuff to her diet - maybe chemicals, pharmaceuticals? because she felt bad. It is not about her, it is about the kid.

I’ll grant you that all the weeping and wailing about being a failure as a mother because she wasn’t producing enough milk was making it all about her. (I had the same problem when I had my daughter and I was disappointed, but I didn’t feel like a total failure or freak out over it.)

But taking a break and relaxing with a glass of wine? That’s not “making it all about her”, it’s being a human being. The idea that she shouldn’t be allowed to do that sounds pretty misogynistic to me.

Waiting to breastfeed until there is no alcohol in your system is not going to harm the baby. The CDC (https://www.cdc.gov/breastfeeding/breastfeeding-special-circumstances/vaccinations-medications-drugs/alcohol.html) says:

Moderate alcohol consumption by a breastfeeding mother (up to 1 standard drink per day) is not known to be harmful to the infant, especially if the mother waits at least 2 hours before nursing. 

Nobody’s saying she should go out and get trashed every night. But a new mom is not a robot and needs some self-care or she’s going to burn out and that will be far more harmful to the baby than an occasional glass of wine.

• Like 2
  • Applause 2
14 hours ago, circumvent said:

Charlie is there just as a nod from the producers to the autistic community. Still, as with Shaun and his meltdowns that, in real life, would prevent him from advancing in the career, she would not get where she is if she had't worked in some basic rule-following stuff. I know so many autistic people and cannot place any one of them, as they are, in the same position, just doing whatever they need to regulate themselves. On the contrary. pretty much all autistics  I know do follow rules. She had enough time to learn other ways to regulate herself when a "disorganized" stockroom needs her input. 

Same with the lack of awareness when violating confidentiality. Autistic people I know, virtually all of them, are so strict about privacy, they can be annoying. Any photo of an autistic person (or any person, really) on social media needs to come with a disclaimer that the person consented to that. If the disclaimer is not there, one can be sure to receive several comments asking for clarification. I agree that one should ask for consent but the bombardment of complaints/observations when it cones the autistic community is really immediate. Charlie would certainly know better than that. I guess the writers are falling into the stereotype trap and throwing it all at Charlie now. 

at least Charlie is in medical school and this is her first time in the field - I hope that her hemophobic friend can help her correct some of her behaviors, like how she gave him the glove trick.

I'm sort of disappointed that the final season will only be 10 episodes - I would've liked to have seen what the writers would've done with a full final season for Charlie. Although it probably would have been horrible.

9 hours ago, possibilities said:

I wondered who was paying for the complicated longshot surgery.

Obviously that's why he needed to gamble one more time

• Like 2
6 hours ago, CarpeFelis said:

But taking a break and relaxing with a glass of wine? That’s not “making it all about her”, it’s being a human being. The idea that she shouldn’t be allowed to do that sounds pretty misogynistic to me.

the way the whole storyline was written does sound it like she is making it all about her, imo. It is another TV trope that everyone who needs to relax NEEDS some alcohol. On TV, it HAS to be alcohol. There is no other form of relaxation. 

• Like 2
3 hours ago, circumvent said:

the way the whole storyline was written does sound it like she is making it all about her, imo. It is another TV trope that everyone who needs to relax NEEDS some alcohol. On TV, it HAS to be alcohol. There is no other form of relaxation. 

The needing alcohol to relax trope drives me bonkers!  No wonder there are so many people with issues with alcohol nowadays.  Really - you can't go for a walk, read a book, meditate, do yoga, indulge in some retail therapy, etc. instead?  The possibilities are endless.

As far as Lea making the breastfeeding issues all about herself.  I think her portrayal as a conflicted new mother was very realistic.  The medical community and lactating experts and books about the subject emphasize the benefits of breastfeeding to such a degree that many women who aren't able to exclusively breastfeed feel like absolute failures as mothers.  Just like some women who need caesarean sections feel like failures because they didn't have their baby "naturally".  Logically, all anyone wants is a healthy, happy baby, but "mom shaming" is well and alive and it can do a huge number on new moms' psyches.  I have a friend who couldn't breastfeed because of breast reduction surgery.  She actually had a nurse give her grief when she said she wasn't going to breastfeed.  Nurse went on a spiel about how breast was best and any mom who didn't at least try wasn't acting in her baby's best interests.  When my friend could finally get a word in edgewise and explain the situation, the nurse looked a little sheepish, but left the room saying, "breast is best".  That really upset my friend at a time that should have been joyful for her.

• Like 4
6 hours ago, circumvent said:

Completely agree on that! There are lots of other things she could have been shown doing.

On 2/29/2024 at 12:49 AM, CarpeFelis said:

yeah, i found her totally unlikeable and annoying and would not want her on my medical team.  partly because she reminds me of the actress playing the judge on night court who i hate in that role but loved in big bang theory

• Like 1
On 3/1/2024 at 9:03 AM, YorkshireLass said:

As far as Lea making the breastfeeding issues all about herself.  I think her portrayal as a conflicted new mother was very realistic.  The medical community and lactating experts and books about the subject emphasize the benefits of breastfeeding to such a degree that many women who aren't able to exclusively breastfeed feel like absolute failures as mothers. 

That's a good point. I disagree that the way they wrote was realistic. Maybe I don't know too many people who are overdramatic. Or maybe real life is so full of crap going on, the world on fire, genocide and wars, I am craving for some quiet on TV. Maybe I would be less critical if Lea had felt all the burden and get conflicted instead of barging into Shawn's office to talk about some supplement that could make her "whole" for the baby

On 2/28/2024 at 3:18 PM, Annber03 said:

I wondered about that, too. Maybe trying again for another potential spinoff? 

Please no.  One is getting tiresome enough.

• Like 1
On 2/29/2024 at 8:03 AM, YorkshireLass said:

Totally agree on the brain operation.  To show Park doing it all while being assisted by a resident is ridiculous. There would have been multiple disciplines needed to be involved; particularly an oral maxillofacial surgeon, but hey, who knows, maybe Park is an expert at everything. 😃

I agree that Charlie's verbal interactions with the patient and his daughter were inappropriate, but I think there's a lot more to it than learning to control herself.  She is pretty new to interacting with patients.  Everything is new & different.  Many autistic people don't do well in this situation.  She is probably very nervous.  When autistic people are nervous or upset they tend to "stim".  It is a way of trying to deal with what they're feeling & to comfort themselves.  We saw it when she kept grabbing her earring.  It's entirely possible the verbosity is also a stim.   Hopefully, like Shawn, she'll be given time to adjust and possibly, once she feels more comfortable, the stimming will lessen.  Shawn is still inappropriate at times, but with the guidance of those around him, he has become much more adept at handling personal interactions; although, I was quite surprised he was so abrupt with telling lung transplant guy his diagnosis.  He's been shown handling similar situations in a much better way. 

In a way, it was kind of funny to see Shawn irritated by Charlie's behaviour.  His behaviour has irritated his colleagues many times and you would think he could recognize himself in some of Charlie's behaviour and cut her some slack.  I guess the "you can't see the forest for the trees" comes into play.....

I agree that it is very likely a stim. My youngest daughter is autistic and she is absolutely a vocal stimmer. She's still young so it's often noises but I can see where it could turn to endless chatter as she gets older. 

Also, autism in girls is VERY different than boys. There is just hardly any research on it in girls. 

On 3/9/2024 at 10:29 PM, Court said:

I agree that it is very likely a stim. My youngest daughter is autistic and she is absolutely a vocal stimmer. She's still young so it's often noises but I can see where it could turn to endless chatter as she gets older. 

Also, autism in girls is VERY different than boys. There is just hardly any research on it in girls. 

There are so many undiagnosed girls and women to this day.  It makes me sad when I read about someone who struggled their entire life trying to fit in and not understanding why they felt so different only to be diagnosed as being autistic much later in life.  What could have been if they'd had the supports they needed......   I hope your daughter's journey through life is easier with her being diagnosed at a younger age.  Best wishes to you both!  

It will be interesting to see Charlie's journey.  The medical staff are used to dealing with Shawn's "quirks".  Charlie's are probably going to be very different.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
(edited)

Dom: My football days are over. Decided I wanted to help people instead of hurt them.

In that case, um...medicine might not be the career for you. 

Edited by Zorione