Type keyword(s) to search

Favorite Cookie!

• Start Topic

The Jacques Torres chocolate chip cookie recipe that was blowing up the web years ago inspired me to make a couple of changes to my standard tollhouse cookies--doubling the vanilla and resting the dough in the fridge for a couple of days. So I just made a batch with brown butter and toasted white sugar. If it's possible to make a cookie too caramel-y, this borders right up on it. It really needs the double salt treatment. And you can't use milk chocolate chips. Semi-sweet might be too sweet.

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2016/05/dry-toasted-sugar-granulated-caramel-recipe.html

• Love 2
37 minutes ago, blueray said:

My favorite is chocolate chip. Especially when it's warm and gooy.

I always have a bag of frozen dough balls in the freezer so I can bake them off and small batches so I only eat them when they are warm.

• Love 1
40 minutes ago, blueray said:

My favorite is chocolate chip. Especially when it's warm and gooy.

The only cookie I would ever crave.  There are plenty of cookies I'll eat if you hand one to me*, but soft chocolate chip cookies I will devour.  Especially, yes, if it's right from the oven.

*Homemade or from a bakery; other than the occasional Thin Mint, there isn't anything pre-packaged I'd want.  The ginger snaps from Trader Joe's are okay; great ginger flavor, but too crunchy a texture.

• Love 1

I figure since it’s been a month since the last post (mine) it’s okay to write a new one. I finally got to Fresh Market (it’s a few Towns over) and for my almond pillow cookies, which are my absolute favorite!! I bought all three boxes they had.

• Love 1
(edited)

Crumbl is going to be the damn death of me! My first born son was the damn gateway a month ago to this new obsession. I am so flipping glad that I have to travel 70 miles down state to the beach or 70 miles over to the middle of the state in order to get one of their cookies or I would be there everyday pressed against the window waiting for them to open. $27 for a dozen.  I don't eat the dozen but I seriously freak out when anyone opens the box to get one out. I am not even a big sweet eater, I have some favorite things but...these damn cookies are going to be the death of me.

Damn peanut butter and jelly. I don't know how long I have to wait for it to be an option again.

I didn't get to try the waffle with buttercream and syrup last week.

Churro is this week. I have to go to the beach town Wednesday and I am going to get one of those. And maybe the german chocolate cake one. And the damn cornbread berry crunch one. Chilled sugar is a must. 

In my defense, I can make a cookie last a week, they are big and rich. I cut them like a pie into seven pieces and once a day take a slice of one flavor. 

Damn, it is only Sunday. sigh.

If you put your hand around the cookie in the images below, they are even bigger than that. 

https://crumblcookies.com/

Edited by stewedsquash
  • Love 1
On 5/16/2021 at 10:07 PM, stewedsquash said:

Crumbl is going to be the damn death of me! My first born son was the damn gateway a month ago to this new obsession. I am so flipping glad that I have to travel 70 miles down state to the beach or 70 miles over to the middle of the state in order to get one of their cookies or I would be there everyday pressed against the window waiting for them to open. $27 for a dozen.  I don't eat the dozen but I seriously freak out when anyone opens the box to get one out. I am not even a big sweet eater, I have some favorite things but...these damn cookies are going to be the death of me.

Damn peanut butter and jelly. I don't know how long I have to wait for it to be an option again.

I didn't get to try the waffle with buttercream and syrup last week.

Churro is this week. I have to go to the beach town Wednesday and I am going to get one of those. And maybe the german chocolate cake one. And the damn cornbread berry crunch one. Chilled sugar is a must. 

In my defense, I can make a cookie last a week, they are big and rich. I cut them like a pie into seven pieces and once a day take a slice of one flavor. 

Damn, it is only Sunday. sigh.

If you put your hand around the cookie in the images below, they are even bigger than that. 

https://crumblcookies.com/

Holy cow, those look amazing!!!

• Love 2

Thumbs up for the road trip! If you like almond flavoring in cakes, then the chilled sugar cookie is great. My son got a dozen when he was up around the middle of the state for work, came home, gathered up the wife and daughters and headed to Mt. Airy for the weekend with the cookies. I took half of one of the pbj frosted peanut butter ones and it was so good. It was piped with a fluffy swirl of peanut butter icing (that reminded me of the icing that an old lady at church used to put on her perfect brownies that were baked and served in a sheet pan. She gave me the recipe!) and surprisingly a raspberry type seedless jelly.  He didn't really like his half so when they got back he gave the other whole one to me. He also gave me a chocolate s'mores one. I do not like s'mores, at all. I like all the ingredients, just not as a s'mores. This cookie was also fantastic which surprised me. 

PBJ good

S'mores good

Chilled Sugar/pink almond icing good

Lemon eh, disappointed. It was the chilled sugar cookie with a lemon glaze and sliced lemon on top. I thought it was going to be lemon cookie and a real lemon slice that was candied on top. It wasn't as tartly lemony as I expected and the lemon slice...was a lemon slice, which is terrible on a cookie. They need to rethink this one.

Mom's chocolate chip recipe eh I like Chick Fil-A's much better! 

Tomorrow I am going to get the ones I mentioned in my previous post and will report back to this slow moving thread, haha

• Love 3

Reporting back that the churro cookie and the cornmeal cookie were delicious. The German chocolate was fine, it was the chocolate cookie that made it good. I preferred the s'more's flavors on the chocolate cookie from a few weeks ago. I missed last weeks options and will probably miss this weeks options. The only one from this week I want to try is the Peanut Butter Brownie and the fruit pizza options. 

Checking to see if I can justify a  Costco run before Sunday to get two cookies... 

• Love 1
20 hours ago, stewedsquash said:

Reporting back that the churro cookie and the cornmeal cookie were delicious. The German chocolate was fine, it was the chocolate cookie that made it good. I preferred the s'more's flavors on the chocolate cookie from a few weeks ago. I missed last weeks options and will probably miss this weeks options. The only one from this week I want to try is the Peanut Butter Brownie and the fruit pizza options. 

Checking to see if I can justify a  Costco run before Sunday to get two cookies... 

You are both evil and doing the Lord's work simultaneously.

• LOL 5

Okay this is not even funny anymore. I will be at Crumbl tomorrow for the banana pudding cookie, the peanut butter cookie and the red velvet cookie. 

I will then ponder over how I turned into a cookie monster with a buck fifty hotdog pepsi combo from Costco on the two hour drive home. 

• LOL 1
11 hours ago, stewedsquash said:

Okay this is not even funny anymore. I will be at Crumbl tomorrow for the banana pudding cookie, the peanut butter cookie and the red velvet cookie. 

I will then ponder over how I turned into a cookie monster with a buck fifty hotdog pepsi combo from Costco on the two hour drive home. 

I wish I could make that trip with you!

• Love 1

Cookie update:

I have been several times over the summer, Wilmington/Raleigh locations. Friday night the 10 of us went to Durham to go to https://brasasteakhouse.com/  for the oldest son and the third son's girlfriend's birthday dinner. It is in one of those newfangled shopping areas that is built like it is a "town square" so afterwards we walked over to the Crumbl store. Well, they walked, I drove with the hubster over to meet the others since they had parked over there. 

https://crumblcookies.com/ I asked oldest son to get me a honey graham cookie and it was fantastic. I was totally bummed when I checked today and realized I had forgotten about the peanutbutter/jelly cookie that I have been waiting for all summer. 

There was a churro cookie that was delicious. Creamscicle that was meh. I had high hopes for the peach cobbler one. It was served in a pie tin and was, not good, total disappointment. 

In case anyone is in NC, the steakhouse was pretty good. Ironically, the small sausages and the Brazilian bread things were my favorite part of the meal. Oh, and the super thin slices of fresh fruit, chocolate dipped strawberries (and I usually hate them!) and the Brazillian potato salad. 

eta I forgot I got the Buckeye last week. Chocolate cookie, dallop of peanutbutter cream, drizzled with fudge icing. 

I don't eat all these cookies at ones. I slice them like pies and put them in the freezer and get a slice out once in a while through the week. They are really big and thick.

Edited by stewedsquash
On 11/7/2021 at 9:59 AM, chessiegal said:

Girl Scout cookies! Bless their little hearts, they were outside the grocery store this morning. I bought Thin Mints and Peanut Butter Patties. 😀

Not the girls' fault, but they (the Girl Scouts Inc.) use palm oil sourced from Indonesia in their cookies which is basically being harvested by indentured (slave) labor, mostly children. Big expose on this last year in the NY Times. Unless they have changed manufacturers, I won't buy their cookies anymore and encourage everyone else not to do so as well.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

Palm oil is also a major factor in deforestation, which is destroying the habitat of several endangered species and furthering the greenhouse gasses problem.  I try to avoid it (it's in a lot of things), because it's still frustratingly difficult to track the supply chain and the sustainability and labor practices along the way.  Here's WWF's Palm Oil Scorecard, showing there's still a long way to go.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 11/9/2021 at 6:31 PM, isalicat said:

Not the girls' fault, but they (the Girl Scouts Inc.) use palm oil sourced from Indonesia in their cookies which is basically being harvested by indentured (slave) labor, mostly children. Big expose on this last year in the NY Times. Unless they have changed manufacturers, I won't buy their cookies anymore and encourage everyone else not to do so as well.

On 11/9/2021 at 7:45 PM, Bastet said:

Palm oil is also a major factor in deforestation, which is destroying the habitat of several endangered species and furthering the greenhouse gasses problem.  I try to avoid it (it's in a lot of things), because it's still frustratingly difficult to track the supply chain and the sustainability and labor practices along the way.  Here's WWF's Palm Oil Scorecard, showing there's still a long way to go.

Statements re: use of palm oil, from the websites of the two approved manufacturers of Girl Scout Cookies (manufacturer in your area will depend on which company your local council selects)...

Little Brownie Bakers:

Although the use of palm oil in Little Brownie Bakers' Girl Scout Cookies® is limited, the palm oil used in our Girl Scout products is Certified Mass Balance palm oil. The Mass Balance System ensures that the palm oil Little Brownie Bakers® uses contributes to the production of environmentally responsible, socially beneficial and economically viable palm oil.

ABC Bakers:

ABC Bakers is aware of and sensitive to concerns about the sustainability of palm oil production. The world’s food supply is intricately tied to the use of palm oil, which is an ingredient found in the majority of baked snacks sold in North America. Palm oil is used in many of the products on supermarket shelves, from margarine and chocolate to ice cream, soaps and cosmetics. It’s smooth and odorless, making it an ideal ingredient for baked goods. When we eliminated trans fats from our cookies, we evaluated a number of alternatives to partially hydrogenated soybean oil. To maintain product quality, we determined that palm oil was our best alternative, and we continue to evaluate other oils.

ABC Bakers is an official member of the Roundtable on Sustainable Palm Oil (RSPO). From 2015 to 2020, all the palm oil used in our Girl Scout cookies was sourced exclusively from RSPO members through RSPO Credits, which support sustainable palm oil production practices. In 2021, we completed the next step in our sustainable palm oil journey by elevating our certification of the palm oil used for Girl Scout Cookies to RSPO Certified Mass Balance palm oil. Working in partnership with our customers and suppliers, we continue to evolve our oil supply.

50 minutes ago, Lovecat said:

Statements re: use of palm oil, from the websites of the two approved manufacturers of Girl Scout Cookies (manufacturer in your area will depend on which company your local council selects)...

Thanks for the info...but unfortunately using palm oil *at all* in mass quantities as Bastet pointed out is contributing significantly to deforestation and I don't think "sustainable" mitigates the human cost of harvesting the product that is currently being played out all over Indonesia. In any case, I wish the Girl Scouts would stop selling cookies and figure out other ways to raise money if they need it; cookies are intrinsically unhealthy for everyone and should not be promulgated other than a very occasional treat, in my opinion. I realize we are getting off topic here, so I will say that as a bonus to my food pantry volunteer job, our crew chief brought in homemade chocolate chip walnut cookies that were absolutely divine and I ate one (my first cookie this year actually, and probably my last cookie this year) with delight.

22 minutes ago, isalicat said:

Thanks for the info...but unfortunately using palm oil *at all* in mass quantities as Bastet pointed out is contributing significantly to deforestation and I don't think "sustainable" mitigates the human cost of harvesting the product that is currently being played out all over Indonesia. In any case, I wish the Girl Scouts would stop selling cookies and figure out other ways to raise money if they need it; cookies are intrinsically unhealthy for everyone and should not be promulgated other than a very occasional treat, in my opinion. I realize we are getting off topic here, so I will say that as a bonus to my food pantry volunteer job, our crew chief brought in homemade chocolate chip walnut cookies that were absolutely divine and I ate one (my first cookie this year actually, and probably my last cookie this year) with delight.

I wasn't defending, just providing additional information.

• Love 1

I picked up a box of "Kitchen Sink" cookies at Fresh Market. They weren't as good as I thought they would be. Probably because all the other add-ins couldn't mask cocoanut, which I do not care for.

5 hours ago, chessiegal said:

I picked up a box of "Kitchen Sink" cookies at Fresh Market. They weren't as good as I thought they would be. Probably because all the other add-ins couldn't mask cocoanut, which I do not care for.

Watching Ina Garten's show this morning she made chocolate chunk cookies with Fleur de Sal sprinkled on top after baking.  That maybe something I need to try...  Basically not a cookie person but do like shortbread cookies. Salty person more than sweet person here... 

On 4/10/2022 at 12:50 AM, Gramto6 said:

Watching Ina Garten's show this morning she made chocolate chunk cookies with Fleur de Sal sprinkled on top after baking.  That maybe something I need to try...  Basically not a cookie person but do like shortbread cookies. Salty person more than sweet person here... 

I posted my rosemary shortbreads on the baking topic today. You might like these, although they have no salt. They’re not very sweet.