Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E04: It's Always Sunny in Grenada

• Start Topic

(edited)

Barbie continues to test boundaries with Fraser; Cat struggles to find her place within the crew; Jared's personal challenges take a toll on him as Captain Kerry takes notice; Sunny deals with the consequences of mixing work and play.

Airs 2/26/2024

Edited by snarts

I have been a die hard fan of BD, Med, Sail, Down Under, Adventure, etc...but this one makes me want to throw out the anchor, it's down right boring. I love Fraser but nothing is interesting this season, Barbie is just another girl calling home telling her mother, "They all hate me," I get the feeling her mother gets that call from her every time she gets on another ship, Cat is nice but inexperienced and she was set up for failure when put on service, Xandi is just sort there, the deck crew is boring except for Jared whose talking heads gives both medicated and un-medicated versions which makes us understand why baby mama said thanks but no thanks to his offer to be in the kids life, she literally ran far away to avoid him.

Capt. Kerry is nice, no micro managing going on and as long as the dockings are good he is happy. 

Chef Frenchie's food is camera worthy. he hasn't had a meltdown ala Rachel, Ben or that horrible shit show of a human, Adam. Also, Frenchie is French and I will always love that about him.

At this point it is like Summer/Winter House which is just all about hook ups. 

• Like 9
  • Love 1

So typically, I am a Fraser fan, but not so much this season. I think he is over, identifying with Cat’s wounded bird routine, and while  I think Barbie has mild attitude, she is a really good, competent stew and actually, I think Fraser feels a little threatened by her. It’s easy for Fraser to feel superior to the meek and poorly trained Cat. it was odd how Fraser worked to sell how well Cat was improving to the Captain when Kerry was at the table and saw just how bad she was at service. 

It a total dick move on his part to go to Captain Kerry  and complain so vociferously about Barbie. Her “!bad attitude” is so mild in comparison to what we  have seen before.  And he is only making himself look bad by complaining this early about a difficult employee. It’s another sign he feels threatened by Barbie. I’m glad Captain Kerry shut it down. Barbie is a tough cookie and a good worker. 

So now we have two instances of Fraser sculpting his narrative to fit with his own perceptions, and needs as opposed to really representing the facts of the situation. Not a good look. 

And I haven’t been a fan of Cat’s  since she interrupted Barbie mid task and implied that she wasn’t really doing enough work, and said Fraser had wanted her to check up on her. She then misrepresented the situation to Fraser and acted like Barbie was being rude for no reason. It was a red flag for me that Cat can be sly and smanipulative when she wants to. Given her tough upbringing, it wouldn’t surprise me if she is used to being manipulative as a survival tool. So I am skeptical of her broken bird routine. I’ll take someone direct and upfront, if a little abrasive, over mealy- mouthed whining and crying anytime. 

• Like 8
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Chickabiddy said:

I think he is over, identifying with Cat’s wounded bird routine, and while  I think Barbie has mild attitude, she is a really good, competent stew and actually, I think Fraser feels a little threatened by her.

I had the same thought, that Fraser sees himself in Cat, and in Barbie he sees that homophobic engineer that poured hot tea on his hands. I don't know if he's "threatened" by her, per se, I just think he sees her as the mean girl picking on poor baby bird Cat, the way he keeps telling her over and over to be nicer to her.

Spoiler

Barbie and Fraser apparently made up at some point. She was on WWHL and was singing Fraser's praises left and right. Jared was on too, so apparently neither is going anywhere this season.

The fact that Barbie's father told her everything she did was wonderful her whole life says a lot about her. It's no wonder she's got an attitude and doesn't react well to criticism.

As for Cat crying every five minutes, I just think she realizes she's in way over her head and the other girls are judging her.

If nothing else, the wedding venue in this episode was absolutely gorgeous.

What's with all the butt shots? We've been "treated" to shots of Ben or Kyle's naked asses in every episode so far.

Jared: “It’s hard to sew a woman back together without leaving a scar behind.” WTF. Is he Frankenstein? So what I'm piecing together is that he knocked some girl up, said he didn't want anything to do with it, she moved on with her life then he started feeling guilty about being a deadbeat dad. 

How much hairspray does the chef wear? When he was getting ready for the night out he was practically shellacking his head.

At the dinner Ben had a big red lip print on his neck, who put it there? That seems like something the show would have been all over. 

• Like 6
5 hours ago, Chickabiddy said:

So typically, I am a Fraser fan, but not so much this season. I think he is over, identifying with Cat’s wounded bird routine, and while  I think Barbie has mild attitude, she is a really good, competent stew and actually, I think Fraser feels a little threatened by her. It’s easy for Fraser to feel superior to the meek and poorly trained Cat. it was odd how Fraser worked to sell how well Cat was improving to the Captain when Kerry was at the table and saw just how bad she was at service. 

It a total dick move on his part to go to Captain Kerry  and complain so vociferously about Barbie. Her “!bad attitude” is so mild in comparison to what we  have seen before.  And he is only making himself look bad by complaining this early about a difficult employee. It’s another sign he feels threatened by Barbie. I’m glad Captain Kerry shut it down. Barbie is a tough cookie and a good worker. 

So now we have two instances of Fraser sculpting his narrative to fit with his own perceptions, and needs as opposed to really representing the facts of the situation. Not a good look. 

And I haven’t been a fan of Cat’s  since she interrupted Barbie mid task and implied that she wasn’t really doing enough work, and said Fraser had wanted her to check up on her. She then misrepresented the situation to Fraser and acted like Barbie was being rude for no reason. It was a red flag for me that Cat can be sly and smanipulative when she wants to. Given her tough upbringing, it wouldn’t surprise me if she is used to being manipulative as a survival tool. So I am skeptical of her broken bird routine. I’ll take someone direct and upfront, if a little abrasive, over mealy- mouthed whining and crying anytime. 

Totally agree.  Fraser is 100% wrong in this situation.  I find Fraser is giving Barbie more attitude than she's giving him, mostly by telling her that she constantly needs to pander to Cat.  Cat's background is sad but no one should have to tiptoe around her because she's going to have a meltdown each and every charter.   If she's that sensitive, she really has no business being on a reality show.  

I didn't particularly care for Barbie in the first episode but she's clearly a stew who knows service and has attention to detail.   Maybe Fraser should give her a little more credit, some compliments and maybe a little attention instead of trying to "save" Cat.  

The weddings were just beautiful -- that scenery - wow!  

Love, love, love Chef Anthony.  His accent and his food are both amazing.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Jared: “It’s hard to sew a woman back together without leaving a scar behind.” WTF. Is he Frankenstein? So what I'm piecing together is that he knocked some girl up, said he didn't want anything to do with it, she moved on with her life then he started feeling guilty about being a deadbeat dad. 

I think he said it was hard to sew a wound back together without leaving a scar

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, rur said:

I think he said it was hard to sew a wound back together without leaving a scar

That’s exactly what he said, I remember because I thought it was a fairly astute comment for Jared. 

• Like 3

The wedding was probably another thing instigated by producers and the guests were willing to play along.  So they can film the crew being busy and Kerry preparing or obsessing over marrying people for the first time.

The guests were chilling on board while the crew went back and forth to prepare the venue.

Kerry put on a suit but the guests were in their comfortable vacation clothes.  They didn’t dress up, that’s how you know renewing vows or the one couple choosing to get married wasn’t that important to the guests.

Obviously they’d have their friends and family attending, rather than being witnessed by the cast of a reality TV show.

After the ceremony  was over, they were ready t9 go back to the yacht, which was more comfortable than the folding chairs the crew set up.  Not to mention air conditioned cabins and more food and drink options.

Sunny was calling Ben out for gaslighting her when he tried to say he didn’t throw her under the bus about driving the jet ski without a life vest on the radio.

I’m cheeky, I’m spontaneous, I’m Australian!

But Sunny admitted that she often picks assholes who mistreat her, so Ben should fit right in.

• Like 5
  • Applause 1
1 hour ago, aghst said:

Sunny was calling Ben out for gaslighting her when he tried to say he didn’t throw her under the bus about driving the jet ski without a life vest on the radio.

But Sunny admitted that she often picks assholes who mistreat her, so Ben should fit right in.

I was cheering Sunny on when she called Ben out. I missed the end of their conversation, did she go back to hooking up with him? I admit I enjoyed Ben getting called out on his behavior. Fraser sort of did in one of the first episodes too.

Cat seems to be in over her head. I did feel bad for her when she felt she wasn't fitting in. That can suck. I would like for her to get more confidence and be a better stew, because I do think she is willing to learn. I doubt it will happen though.

I think Barbie is a good stew, but I do not really like her.

I know it has been a boring start of the season, but I am enjoying the relatively dull drama. 

• Like 4

I think Fraser is overcompensating for his last season as Chief Stew when he tried too hard to be friends with his stews and ended up letting them run all over him for far too long. I think he is generally good at his job and will ultimately find a balance, which is something every new supervisor has to figure out over time. Though it’s perplexing that he didn’t test Cat before putting her on service. Or seemingly did not do anything to ascertain whether she was in any way ready beforehand. That really stank of production interference.

• Like 4
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, aghst said:

Kerry put on a suit but the guests were in their comfortable vacation clothes.  They didn’t dress up, that’s how you know renewing vows or the one couple choosing to get married wasn’t that important to the guests.

Obviously they’d have their friends and family attending, rather than being witnessed by the cast of a reality TV show.

I am guessing they are having more than one wedding.  Some places like Grenada, Israel, etc...those marriages are not recognized as legal marriages in the US so they decided it would be fun to do on their charter on TV then probably have another one in the states.

My cousin had three weddings, one at the LA court house for the legal marriage, one in Israel (because his mother wanted to have at least one of her kids married in her home country, the others just had receptions in Israel after their US weddings), and last February we celebrated with another wedding in Oaxaca Mexico, (it was an amazing week in an amazing town and would go back in a heart beat!). I am guessing this might be the case of the Capt. Kerry wedding on the beach. 

7 hours ago, Misslindsey said:

I think Barbie is a good stew, but I do not really like her.

She may be trying to be the next Kate Chastain, totally good at getting things done but horrible to work with.

8 hours ago, aghst said:

Ben forgot "I'm an asshole," in that sentence. 

Fraser asking Ben to not interfere with his team was a very bold move and I am happy Fraser did that, like the line has been drawn in the sand, Ben knows Fraser is not kidding and may take the discussion further up the COC if it happens again.

• Like 6
  • Love 1
(edited)

Sunny was right to give Ben shit but she is kind of really over doing it. If we are still hearing about that incident on the next episode, ugh. 

On WWHL with Andy, Barbie had a lot of good things, all good things, to say about Frasier. So it seems they make it through the season. 

Edited by Lamima
  • Useful 1
(edited)
8 hours ago, LaDuchesse said:

Though it’s perplexing that he didn’t test Cat before putting her on service. Or seemingly did not do anything to ascertain whether she was in any way ready beforehand. That really stank of production interference.

He just doesn't like Barbie, period - his own words. And he wants Cat to be better than she is. He keeps talking her up to Captain Kerry, as if to justify firing Barbie. But I have a hunch Cat is going to walk. She just seems miserable there and I really don't know what her trauma is. It's one thing to cry in the galley after an exhausting day being pulled this way and that. It's another to be out on the town for the night and crying in the bathroom because you don't think you're "connecting" with anyone. Maybe that's on you.

Edited by iMonrey
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
On 2/27/2024 at 11:17 AM, iMonrey said:

The fact that Barbie's father told her everything she did was wonderful her whole life says a lot about her. It's no wonder she's got an attitude and doesn't react well to criticism.

/Shrug. Maybe she is good at everything? LOL.

I dunno, I like Barbie. I like her "to the point" attitude and she's straight-up a good stew. Much better than Cat. I think people often misjudge that kind of constitution as coldness or bitchiness (especially in women) and really, I think Barbie just wants to kick ass at her job and be recognized for it. 

To Fraser's credit, he "got to know" Cat a bit and is trying to help her adapt - but a point against him for not doing the same with Barbie. 

Both women are young and a bit inexperienced, but I'm peeved at Fraser for so overtly swaying towards Cat and berating Barbie at every turn (including talking smack about her to other crewmates - not cool). I loved how Captain handled the situation. I'm loving him!

• Like 4
  • Love 1
(edited)

The thing about Cat, in addition to crying and not fitting in, is that when she is relaying a message to Barbie, or explaining herself, or just catting she is not working...just standing around. Barbie continues to work.

If the deck crew can learn how to serve from the left Cat certainly can. 

Frasier just giving Cat a hug and an ear is not doing either one of them well.

On WWHL Barbie said she had no idea what her thing with the margarita was all about and she was acting delusional. 

Edited by maggiemae
  • Like 2

There may be some mean girl thing going on from Barbie to Cat that we haven't seen on air.

That may be why Cat is feeling that she's not fitting in.

• Like 1
On 2/28/2024 at 2:58 AM, LaDuchesse said:

I think Fraser is overcompensating for his last season as Chief Stew when he tried too hard to be friends with his stews and ended up letting them run all over him for far too long. I think he is generally good at his job and will ultimately find a balance, which is something every new supervisor has to figure out over time. Though it’s perplexing that he didn’t test Cat before putting her on service. Or seemingly did not do anything to ascertain whether she was in any way ready beforehand. That really stank of production interference.

I think Fraser may be one of the better chief stews we've seen.  But yeah, I thought the same thing.  Why on earth would you have Cat's first service be not only a dinner service but their wedding dinner service with Captain Kerry?   Let her try a breakfast service first and see how she does.  

He's definitely letting his dislike for and frustration with Barbie cloud his judgment and decision making.  

19 hours ago, aghst said:

There may be some mean girl thing going on from Barbie to Cat that we haven't seen on air.

That may be why Cat is feeling that she's not fitting in.

Maybe.  But I also think it's possible that Cat is overly sensitive and overly emotional and when she gets stressed out, her lack of self esteem kicks in and then she becomes certain that she doesn't fit in and doesn't have any friends onboard.  We know the last part clearly isn't true because Fraser has bent over backwards for her and she and Sunny seem to get along.  

• Like 3
(edited)
On 2/28/2024 at 12:09 PM, Lunula said:

To Fraser's credit, he "got to know" Cat a bit and is trying to help her adapt - but a point against him for not doing the same with Barbie. 

Yup. That's fair. There's just something about Barbie that made him take an instant dislike to her, and I'm not sure what it was.

Edited by iMonrey

Barbie pushed back.  When he took her aside at the night out, tried to talk to her, she told him right away he was giving her attitude too.

As her superior, he's allowed to have a certain attitude.  A lot different when she has an attitude against her boss.

That is what Fraser wasn't going to put up with.  Maybe that's not the best way of managing people but he's entitled to try his way.

• Like 3
47 minutes ago, aghst said:

Barbie pushed back.  When he took her aside at the night out, tried to talk to her, she told him right away he was giving her attitude too.

As her superior, he's allowed to have a certain attitude.  A lot different when she has an attitude against her boss.

See, I think Fraser‘s problems with Barbie go back to the beginning. She has a strong personality and I think she intimidates Fraser at a minimum Barbie is a pretty, put together rich girl who still works hard. She is driven to succeed enough that she took a bartending class. She is good with a he guests, and her wealth and privilege give her an ease and confidence around them. That same wealth and privilege empower her to push back when she wants. She’s doesn’t need the job in the  same way the others do.  It’s obvious to me why Fraser identifies with one and not the other. And I think he feels intimidated because he wanted to get rid of her right away for very little reason.  He was exaggerating the situation to Kerry, and he still thought it was too early to fire a good, hard working  stew. 

Anf for what it’s worth, I don’t think a supervisor should give attitude or speak rudely to subordinates. Just because  they can, doesn’t mean they should. It immediately sets an adversarial tone that’s not necessary. There are more productive ways to assert your managerial authority over your team.

• Like 4
  • Useful 1

From Fraser's perspective:

1.  Barbie mean-girled Cat on the first day or charter.

2.  Pushed back on the whole margarita order, insisting it must have orange juice, based on her binder.

3.  Gave him attitude when he asked her to be kind to Cat

4.  Accused him of having attitude too when he tried to have a little heart to heart at the bar.

It sucks but at some point, you have to shut up and do what your boss asks.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, aghst said:

rom Fraser's perspective:

1.  Barbie mean-girled Cat on the first day or charter.

2.  Pushed back on the whole margarita order, insisting it must have orange juice, based on her binder.

3.  Gave him attitude when he asked her to be kind to Cat

4.  Accused him of having attitude too when he tried to have a little heart to heart at the bar.

It sucks but at some point, you have to shut up and do what your boss asks.

Fair. But this is what I saw as a viewer - 

1. Cat was super shady with Barbie when she disturbed her mid task to say that Fraser wanted her to check up on Barbie because work wasn't getting done. She misrepresented what Fraser said. 

2. Yes. She pushed back one time on the margaritas. It was a strange hill to die on but she was not rude or insubordinate.

3. When Fraser had the sit down with the two girls about their issues, he let Cat say her piece - where she lied about what she said to Barbie. She did not own up to coming in like a supervisor or claiming that Barbie wasn't working enough. When Barbie tried to respond with her perspective on the interaction, Fraser abruptly cut her off. So what kind of saint is going to be cool with that and not get a little attitude when you boss is constantly telling you to be nice? The implication is that Barbie is is the baddie and Cat is her poor victim. 

4. Fraser approached her a little hot at the bar and was not overly friendly. Also, mangers should not have a work conversation like that late at night in a bar after lots of alcohol. It sends a mixed message and catches the employee off guard and not at their best to respond. 

5. And let's not forget that Fraser lied to Kerry when he told him that Barbie was negative person who was not getting along with anyone on the boat. That was patently false and shit thing to do. 

And it sucks to have a boss like Fraser who plays favorites and is fast and loose with the truth. Being a leader is a lot more than getting to tell people what to do and getting to fire them if you don't like them. It's about setting an example and treating people fairly and honestly. True leaders don't hold their subordinates to higher standards than they themselves are willing to follow. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1