Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E04: Metamorphosis

DittyDotDot
  • Start Topic

Sam and Dean must hunt a cannibalistic creature who has not yet hurt human beings or done anything wrong.

I know this is generally a hated episode, but I fall more on the like side. I don't love it or even like it entirely, but there are some really good things going on in this episode. For the first time in the season we finally get some insight into Sam's point of view and I can relate and feel for both Sam and Dean's perspectives in this episode and I don't feel like either is exactly wrong in feeling the way they do, but their actions are wrong, IMO. It's understandable that Sam would have the desire to take the curse and try to make it something useful and good, I just don't think the lying and sneaking was a good way to go about it. And, it's totally understandable that Dean would be scared of what it meant and try and shut it down, I'm just not sure if the punching, yelling and condescending was really the best way to express that fear. So, I like that, in the end, they both learned something from the experience and found some middle ground.

I know most people are grossed out by the monster of the week part, but I think it needed to be something ugly and disturbing or else Sam choosing to stop using his powers at the end wouldn't have the same effect on me.  I think most people think that if they had a super power of some sort they would use it to fight crime and make the world a better place, but I also think that nothing good ever comes without a price--just call me Cynical Suzie--and using that power without knowing the price is reckless and irresponsible. So, yeah, if they had watered it down I'm not sure I would have understood why Sam would choose not to use his powers in the end.

I also think they did some fine casting here. The actress who plays the wife is outstanding--which makes me wonder if Warehouse 13 is still on--I wouldn't mind seeing her back on the show at some point. And the actor that plays Travis was great, as well. That moment where he apologizes for having to do this thing is really a nice bit of acting. In some ways Travis is like Gordon--he makes a certain amount of whack-ado sense and in his own way is trying to save people, but can't see the forest for the trees and ends up creating a monster in the end.

I would be remiss if I didn't have some words to say about Kim Manners--this was his last episode. It may not have been his most stellar work, but I'd like to talk about one scene in particular--the hotel fighting scene in the beginning. It starts out steady with Sam reading and Dean comes in and starts packing and as the scene gets progressively angry and the little brother punching and lamp smashing starts the camera gets all shaky. Then as they get to the end of the scene where Travis calls, things get a bit more steady again. Really helps seal the moment to me. Plus, I think it's some very nuanced work by both Jared and Jensen and Kim always had a knack for pulling great work out of both of these guys. Nicely done, Mr. Manners; rest in peace.

• Love 3

I agree with you DDD. I like this episode more than I hate it and it's all made for me by that opening fight.

I think it's some of the best work the boys have ever done. I love how it just amps up. I think that is the first time I remember actually being really frightened of Dean.  He's carrying around the memories of Hell and trying not to be affected and then to see Sam with Ruby doing mind shit is almost more than Dean can take. I thought Jensen really nailed the stuff under the surface. Jensen could have been all shouty the entire time but when grabs Sam by the collar and quietly but with such authority demands" What else can you do" just gives me goosebumps. HOLY SHIT. That was more terrifying than him breaking the lamps and stuff.  It's the look on his face and the use of his voice that makes that a perfect scene throughout.  And Jared did a great job showing how anguished Sam was that Dean doesn't understand where he's coming from. 

One of the best scenes in the show IMO

• Love 1

I find this episode extremely hard to watch. It breaks my heart in tiny little pieces, stomps on them, grinds them into a fine sand and then swallows it all together.

Both points of view equally valid, both equally terrible in where they come from and utterly devastating in how they deal with it. I don't think it's really resolved in the end, to me it feels like they wrenched a lid on it to be able to stay in the car together. I still feel things were boiling under the surface afterwards.

If I had to choose the most heartbreaking and scary episode of the show, this is it.

• Love 1
Both points of view equally valid, both equally terrible in where they come from and utterly devastating in how they deal with it. I don't think it's really resolved in the end, to me it feels like they wrenched a lid on it to be able to stay in the car together. I still feel things were boiling under the surface afterwards.

I totally understand your point of view on this supposebly, and I didn't mean to imply there was real resolution...I just meant that I thought they both had come part way by the end of the episode; progress was at least made. I just tend to prefer the show when they both do have valid points of view to work from, so I can be more forgiving of some of the heartbreak.

To be honest though, I wish the lessons learned here would've stuck--more on those annoyances are sure to come as the season progresses; something for you all to look forward to--but it being Supernatural, I learned to let a lot of my wishes go long ago.

I guess I have to bite bullet and watch it again. I'm again stuck at my season 4 rewatch at "The Beginning". I didn't mean to imply that I think it's a bad episode, far from it. It's one of my absolute favorites. That's why it's so effective.

I remember Sam sort of acknowledging that "going down the monster-path" would only lead to bad things in the end (although I remember his face and I didn't quite believe him) but I don't remember Dean moving away from his POV and acknowledging Sam's POV. Just from memory, that would kind of contradict the whole season.

At the end of the episode, in the car before Sam says he's done with these powers, Dean says that he's sorry that he's been so hard on Sam...something about his powers scaring the crap out of him. Dean doesn't really back down that the powers were bad, but he does acknowledge that Sam has a valid point of view and primarily he apologizes for being so overbearing. It's not total resolution but with both of them giving a little I feel like there's some progress at least.

I also think they did some fine casting here. The actress who plays the wife is outstanding--which makes me wonder if Warehouse 13 is still on--I wouldn't mind seeing her back on the show at some point.

Sadly, Warehouse 13 the show of endless wonder, is no longer around.

I don't remember a darn thing from this episode.  I remember not liking it, but that's it.  This episode is just so forgettable.

Sadly, Warehouse 13 the show of endless wonder, is no longer around.

Oh, I'm sorry to hear that, I liked the production design of that show very much. Is this my fault? Life got in the way and I missed too many episodes in the second season and I never got a chance to get caught up--I finally gave up. It's probably my fault since the universe revolves around me, right? ;)

Edited by DittyDotDot

I like the episode though I have to wonder why the writer seemed determined to make Sam act as if Dean's being gone for 4 months was Dean chilling in Honolulu and not being in literal Hell.

Still the wife was adorable, Travis was believable and the rugaru was a new and different monster.

Great guest actors, particularly loved the wife.

this ones always interesting to me, but in keeping with my theme this go-round, I'm looking into Sam's perspective a little more.

the beginning scene played so intensely for me, I couldn't tear my eyes away. Yes, I've seen it a hundred times, but it's been awhile.  And these boys... They aren't the Winchesters we know now in season 11 and beyond.  These guys are in pain, and the anger is so palpable.  Sam's desperation to make the Rugaru case work out, to have the monster be save able, was so heartbreaking.  The parallels were blatant, yes, but for once I felt like they were meant to be obvious so we could see the desperation and inevitability more clearly.

I usually watch this episode and nod my head with Dean, agreeing with everything he says.  But I'm finding myself, not understanding Sam, but empathizing with him at least.  

and Dean is terrified. Scared for Sam, scared of Sam, hurt and betrayed.  He doing that thing with his voice and face, the quiet deadly calm that he gets before he completely loses it.  His behavior kind of reminded me of the scary calm we got 

Spoiler

When Dean was mark of Cain Dean or even demon Dean 

I'm recalling after watching this episode just how badly I was begging by mid season for these brothers to go back to the way things used to be.  Remembering just how painful this season is to watch as these two guys slowly implode and hurt each other in the process more and more.

its seasons like this that make me appreciate the relationship in later seasons, though.

• Love 4

What I got from the show is that while Sam could be right, one can overcome the curse/darkness/monster inside them, that's probably only possible in isolation, such is extremely difficult when one is around other people.  In Montgomery's case, it was Travis who pushed him over.  I can see where it could be either Dean or Ruby who'll push Sam, most likely Ruby since I think Dean would still try to see the good in Sam if its at all possible, and Ruby, as far as I can tell, really doesn't care as long as she gets what she wants (whatever that is).

I found it interesting that Montgomery didn't start to change into the rugaroo until his wife became pregnant (she was probably pregnant a month before she knew for sure and it seemed that was the approximate time frame that Travis started noticing something 'strange' with him).  Maybe the gene stays dormant until it knows its passed it onto an offspring (just in case it dies in the main host)?

Dean has told Sam the order to stop came from God.  For all the Sam supposedly believes in God more than Dean (or at least was more), I don't think I believe Sam will stop.

• Love 2
On ‎3‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 1:11 PM, Hanahope said:

I found it interesting that Montgomery didn't start to change into the rugaroo until his wife became pregnant (she was probably pregnant a month before she knew for sure and it seemed that was the approximate time frame that Travis started noticing something 'strange' with him).  Maybe the gene stays dormant until it knows its passed it onto an offspring (just in case it dies in the main host)?

That's interesting.  I thought they probably just turned around age 30, and that was when Jack and his father happened to impregnate their wives.  But, it kind of makes sense from an evolutionary standpoint.

I question so many of Sam's choices and choices in button-up shirts this season. But Sam's desire to save people rings true to the character and his empathy. That fight between Sam and Dean is great. First time Dean calls Castiel "Cas." I remember the shippers latching onto that one at the time. It's interesting that Dean plays the God card on Sam after Castiel tells him to stop Sam. I always like seeing old hunter friends. The Jack actor and wife were good. I like Sam needing to believe the person can overcome the evil within and Dean pissing him off.  Sam and Dean being wrong about stopping a bad guy will always amuse me. Dammit, Travis, you fucked this one up. This stupid show, making me feel feelings. Just lock Sammy in a closet and threaten Dean. Works every time. I like that Jack is a smart enough monster to not tell Sam that his wife is pregnant. Great shot of Sam's reflection in the car window as he tells Dean he won't be using his powers anymore.

• Love 4
10 hours ago, bettername2come said:

I question so many of Sam's choices and choices in button-up shirts this season. But Sam's desire to save people rings true to the character and his empathy. That fight between Sam and Dean is great. First time Dean calls Castiel "Cas." I remember the shippers latching onto that one at the time. It's interesting that Dean plays the God card on Sam after Castiel tells him to stop Sam. I always like seeing old hunter friends. The Jack actor and wife were good. I like Sam needing to believe the person can overcome the evil within and Dean pissing him off.  Sam and Dean being wrong about stopping a bad guy will always amuse me. Dammit, Travis, you fucked this one up. This stupid show, making me feel feelings. Just lock Sammy in a closet and threaten Dean. Works every time. I like that Jack is a smart enough monster to not tell Sam that his wife is pregnant. Great shot of Sam's reflection in the car window as he tells Dean he won't be using his powers anymore.

Reading through this thread made me go and rewatch, too. I'd forgotten how amazing the opening two scenes were, with Dean seeing Sam's powers at work, and the Ruby reveal (to Dean), then the hotel room fight. I believe that more than any guilt or regret over lying to Dean, or fear of becoming a monster, it was the revelation that God himself (via the angels) didn't approve of what Sam was doing that ultimately put a seed of doubt in his mind. Such was Sam's hubris in S4.

As for the bolded: on the nose or not, this was perfection. Sam literally lying to himself. RIP Kim Manners.

• Love 2
(edited)

I have a weird obsession with a specific acting choice Jensen makes when he shoves Sam against the wall. He gets really still and almost quiet, with an IMO almost defiant anger, and a "Don't fuck with me again" expression when he asks Sam, "What else can you do?". I thought Dean was more scary in that moment than when he punched Sam and I also could see there was an underlying fear, hurt and indignation.  It's a beautiful choice. I wish I could articulate it better.

And because Jensen is such a smart actor...

Spoiler

He has an almost identical expression and tone in the Asa Fox episode when he confronts Mary with "Where you been?", with quiet internal rage seeping through, and fear that her answer will hurt him even more, with a side of indignation. There is another episode wherein he makes a similar choice but I cant recollect specifically, I just remember I said to myself , "ohh, there it is! " Maybe in the Future when he confronts Cas?

Edited by catrox14
posting mobile is derpy
  • Love 1

"You think we don't know what you and that bitch do in the dark?"

oh my God. sam having sex with ruby, with a demon is just....man, he's in way too deep if that's true (which is probably is).

"If I didn't know you...I would want to hunt you."  dean said that with a quiet stillness. you can see the hurt they both had in their eyes in that moment.

when dean said "You're probably feeling your bones move under your skin. And your appetite's reaching, you know, "hungry hungry hippo" levels" my father was watching it and was CRACKING. UP. i mean laughing so hard for 5 minutes, tears in his eyes (he was even laughing way after the scene ended). then when he said "manburger helper" directly afterwards we both cracked up. this is his first time seeing dean's one liners, now i feel kinda bad he didn't watch at least most of the show. dean's pop references are so funny. even though i'm too young to understand most of them, my mother always catches onto them.

"JACK! IF YOU HURT HIM I SWEAR TO GOD!" that was tremendous acting on jared's part.

so sam is as scared as dean is about his powers, but at least he is trying to make some good out of it. that's sam through and through. he's still good, no matter what The Demon says.

Edited by Iju
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, Iju said:

"You think we don't know what you and that bitch do in the dark?"

oh my God. sam having sex with ruby, with a demon is just....man, he's in way too deep if that's true (which is probably is).

They're just reading poetry to each other.  That's totally evil to a demon, if you think about it.

• Love 3
On 9/8/2014 at 8:24 AM, DittyDotDot said:

I know this is generally a hated episode, but I fall more on the like side. I don't love it or even like it entirely, but there are some really good things going on in this episode. For the first time in the season we finally get some insight into Sam's point of view and I can relate and feel for both Sam and Dean's perspectives in this episode and I don't feel like either is exactly wrong in feeling the way they do, but their actions are wrong, IMO. It's understandable that Sam would have the desire to take the curse and try to make it something useful and good, I just don't think the lying and sneaking was a good way to go about it. And, it's totally understandable that Dean would be scared of what it meant and try and shut it down, I'm just not sure if the punching, yelling and condescending was really the best way to express that fear. So, I like that, in the end, they both learned something from the experience and found some middle ground.

I know most people are grossed out by the monster of the week part, but I think it needed to be something ugly and disturbing or else Sam choosing to stop using his powers at the end wouldn't have the same effect on me.  I think most people think that if they had a super power of some sort they would use it to fight crime and make the world a better place, but I also think that nothing good ever comes without a price--just call me Cynical Suzie--and using that power without knowing the price is reckless and irresponsible. So, yeah, if they had watered it down I'm not sure I would have understood why Sam would choose not to use his powers in the end.

I also think they did some fine casting here. The actress who plays the wife is outstanding--which makes me wonder if Warehouse 13 is still on--I wouldn't mind seeing her back on the show at some point. And the actor that plays Travis was great, as well. That moment where he apologizes for having to do this thing is really a nice bit of acting. In some ways Travis is like Gordon--he makes a certain amount of whack-ado sense and in his own way is trying to save people, but can't see the forest for the trees and ends up creating a monster in the end.

I would be remiss if I didn't have some words to say about Kim Manners--this was his last episode. It may not have been his most stellar work, but I'd like to talk about one scene in particular--the hotel fighting scene in the beginning. It starts out steady with Sam reading and Dean comes in and starts packing and as the scene gets progressively angry and the little brother punching and lamp smashing starts the camera gets all shaky. Then as they get to the end of the scene where Travis calls, things get a bit more steady again. Really helps seal the moment to me. Plus, I think it's some very nuanced work by both Jared and Jensen and Kim always had a knack for pulling great work out of both of these guys. Nicely done, Mr. Manners; rest in peace.

I agree with all of this up and including the Warehouse 13 bit.

I have been warned that this season is frustrating in part because of conflict between the brothers. We will see how I feel later, but in this episode I think both of them are very understandable.

Dean: Dean has always been super black and white anyway and he isn't going to see value in a long term partnership with a demon. He is scared for his brother, who is messing with powers he doesn't understand. I found invoking God to be a bit manipulative, given that we know Dean is skeptical. I suppose you could say he knows Sam isn't and Sam should have the information when making the choice. I am a little surprised that Dean isn't more skeptical of the angels. Maybe the answer is that this is less about Castiel being right/good and more about Castiel threatening his brother. I guess I am just cynical, but we don't know much about the angels except that they have their own agenda. I am not ready to accept their inherent goodness in this world yet. I am such a Dean 😆. Anywho, it is understandable where Dean is coming from, but I think his approach isn't necessarily effective. I don't disagree that Ruby is a ticking time bomb. She has an agenda and she isn't sharing it with the class. She has already shown herself to be manipulative. Even if you were going to use these powers, maybe using a demon as a tutor isn't the best plan. 

As an aside, how can they be so sure she is who she says she is. What is to stop a different demon from claiming to be her? Lilith already did.

Sam: I honestly really get Sam on all of this. I get why he didn't tell his brother who continues to think this part of him may make him a monster. Dean has said on multiple occasions that you are human or monster. And monsters have to go. He is often pulled back by Dean. There is no way Dean is going to understand Sam thinking maybe there is something in between. Plus his brother didn't want him working with Ruby, but he was gone. Sam knows his brother isn't going to react well. As far as the actual attempt to be a hybrid, I think it is totally understandable. First, we all have a tendency to think we have things under control. It is so human. The just one drink for an alcoholic. I can hook up with my ex and nobody will get hurt. I will wake up early to study. We believe we have control over so much more than we do. And sure, sometimes we are right. And sometimes we are not. Second, he wants meaning from what happened to him. What happened to his mother. Why not use this against them. Third, I do think he is correct that there is some good here. He is saving lives. They were using that knife to kill demons without regard for the person being possessed.

The initial fight scene was so great and true to life. I didn't love some of the later discussions because Sam's attitude wasn't a departure from his prior characterization. First Dean is worried Sam is too ready to kill and now he is not. Any yes, that is an oversimplification because Dean is more worried about motive. It is just a little frustrating to watch Dean fret for a season that Sam is too hard because he is part demon/not himself just to watch him impute the same motives for the opposite behavior. I get it. It is just frustrating for the viewer. But then, I think the treatment of the MotW is  little too on the nose anyway.

On 3/7/2017 at 12:11 PM, Hanahope said:

On 3/10/2017 at 7:31 AM, Katy M said:

That's interesting.  I thought they probably just turned around age 30, and that was when Jack and his father happened to impregnate their wives.  But, it kind of makes sense from an evolutionary standpoint.

I think both are plausible. I actually had the same thought about the baby as a trigger. I think they said Jack was a baby when his father turned too, so they could have just had kids around the same age or it could mean something.

As a Louisianan, I was excited for a rougarou story. I wish we could have delved into the lore a bit deeper. The rougarou is a werewolf creature and I always heard about it taking kids who misbehaved, but there are so many variations. 

• Love 1
8 hours ago, The Companion said:

Third, I do think he is correct that there is some good here. He is saving lives. They were using that knife to kill demons without regard for the person being possessed

But they completely forgot about the Latinating as an option and never allowed Dean to voice that option and I can just never get past that in this episode. 

To me, this was one of the first and most blatant instances of a complete disregard of canon in order for the writers to highlight a certain main character's viewpoint at the expense of the other main character's POV and I hated that with the fire of ten thousand suns-which is why this episode never worked for me-not in any way.

I don't want to say any more since you seem to be unspoiled, but this was the first episode of this show that I actively hated on the whole-and for that very specific reason, to be perfectly honest. 

• Love 4
20 minutes ago, Myrelle said:

But they completely forgot about the Latinating as an option and never allowed Dean to voice that option and I can just never get past that in this episode. 

To me, this was one of the first and most blatant instances of a complete disregard of canon in order for the writers to highlight a certain main character's viewpoint at the expense of the other main character's POV and I hated that with the fire of ten thousand suns-which is why this episode never worked for me-not in any way.

I don't want to say any more since you seem to be unspoiled, but this was the first episode of this show that I actively hated on the whole-and for that very specific reason, to be perfectly honest. 

Spoiler

Which was the standard throughout season 4 as well as during the Dabb years IMO.

I'm not a big fan of this ep either and I can take or leave this season as a whole even though it gave us Cas.

• Love 1

After skipping this season usually and this episode especially, I sat down and watched to see if there was something else to take away from it. And while most of it doesn't change for me, I think Sam at the end does believe he can make that choice still, even though it was too late for Jack.