Type keyword(s) to search

X-Men'97

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, kickingnames said:

I need this to be the case. I’m another for whom Rogue/Gambit was one of my first OTPs; all I want is or them to be happy and together! Which yes, I know is a ridiculous thing to hope for on this show — no one’s ever happy for more than a few seconds at a time. But I detest love triangles (always have), and never needed Magneto to be anything other than a great villain, so this development is not working for me at all.

I'm a Scott/Jean shipper first, and then Rogue/Gambit. And since this show is a continuation of the original (that interview above stated it's only been 4-5 months since the series finale), so I'm peeved that Rogue and Gambit not being together HERE is an issue. Because in one of the arcs, which I'm blanking on, as I zipped through them, Gambit told Rogue that he loved her-something he's never said to anyone. I think they all thought they were going to die or something. I think it might have been one of the Apocalypse arcs.

So seeing, even a hint of Rogue and Magneto (EWWWWWW!!!!!!), or throwing in what happened in the comics that WASN'T in the original '92 is peeving me.

I do NOT NEED nor do I WANT a stoopid triangle. Either with Scott/Jean/Logan or Rogue and Gambit.

And here's a weird thing for the next three weeks-we have part 1 of an episode featuring Jubililee; then a different episode next week; then on 04/17, part 2 of Jubiliee's episode. Like, what?

And even though we have a season 3, episodes for each season are half of what the original gave us.

And now I'm jumping to the original because I have a question...

• Like 1
8 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I do NOT NEED nor do I WANT a stoopid triangle. Either with Scott/Jean/Logan or Rogue and Gambit.

Because I can't stand not to share this, Sister Michael is all of us.

434485813_3883454965310015_2210595782387581932_n.thumb.jpg.29df9495ec4dd2220755b1e20eb8d765.jpg

• Like 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 1

Logan/Jean was the absolute worst, and this is coming from someone who has never cared about Cyclops. 

It just seemed like Jean was too kind and good natured, and pitied Logan too much, to tell him to back off. Meanwhile, Logan was a significantly older guy who had an unhealthy obsession with a woman who was clearly in a relationship. 

Of course he had main character syndrome, and assumed that he could just put his feelings out there repeatedly, failing to respect that relationship, and of course he could just openly be a dick to Cyclops because he was jealous of him.

As for Rogue and Magneto, that was almost as bad, for different reasons (although age difference was still a big one). In the case of the show, I do think it has to be a misdirect or they wouldn't be hitting Gambit over the head with it so hard (I don't think the writers of the show hate him as much as some of the X-book writers have in recent years), without actually showing them doing anything.

Also, I have always preferred Magneto as a villain with noble intentions, rather than a hero who acts like an arsehole all the time. The obsession so many X-writers have with turning villains into heroes is truly tiresome.

• Like 2
  • Applause 2
(edited)

Pretty good episode.  It was divided into two parts: one on Jubilee and Roberto and the other on Forge and Storm.

I won't spoil much but this

Spoiler

Alyson Court returns to voice someone close to Jubilee and it was fun seeing this character use her powers.

We do get some cute nods to Who's the Boss, A Different World, and Divorce Court that got a bit of a giggle out of me.

Edited by bmoore4026
  • Like 1

Looks like someone dumped a lot of quarters into the X-Men arcade game back in the day.  Although it is kind of funny they figured out they couldn't create one whole episode around the concept, nor could they limit Lifedeath to one episode.  Still, things seem kind of rushed with Forge jumping to I love you after a few minutes of screentime. 

On the plus side, while Storm may not have her powers, she certainly hasn't lost her need to be overly dramatic when trying to use them.

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

I don't care for video games, but I loved the nostalgic animation on this. Nice to have a Jubilee-centric episode.

22 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

And here's a weird thing for the next three weeks-we have part 1 of an episode featuring Jubililee; then a different episode next week; then on 04/17, part 2 of Jubiliee's episode. Like, what?

I don't think this is a spoiler - it should be a continuation of the Storm part of the episode. The Jubilee part is over.

I am both excited and slightly worried about next week episode.

• Like 1
(edited)

The fact that an X-Men episode focused on four characters of colour is kind of great - Storm, Forge, Jubilee and Roberto. Especially after some of the histrionics of people who somehow missed the fact that the X-Men are representative of minorities of all kinds.

Unfortunately, Forge is one of the dullest characters to ever appear in the pages of a Marvel comic, and he makes Storm dull by association. The little personality he had back in the day was being an insecure dick.

I always liked Jubilee and felt like she got shunted off to the X-kids team too quickly by writers who didn't care about her, so I'm glad she got a bit of focus in this episode. Roberto is a character I've never really had an opinion of, but I quite like the version of him in the show, and quite like that they picked Sunspot over a whole host of others they could have used - Cannonball, Boom Boom, Cypher, Wolfsbane, Karma, Dani Moonstar.

Edited by Danny Franks
  • Like 2
(edited)

I love that they highlighted several times that Jubilee was turning 18. Let me tell you, in comics she seemed to be 14 FOREVER, then they seemed to age her up then they de-aged her again. Yes, yes, sliding timescale but it was just weird af.

Similar shit happened with Kitty. Hell, Claremont, who wasn't even writing her anymore had very specific opinions as to how old she was and wasn't shy about saying so. Look, I respect the hell out of Chris Claremont's work, problematic though a lot of it is, but there were some hills he chose to die on that I just can't even with. Kitty's age for one and deciding that Logan/Jean were the OTP after editorial decided to resurrect Jean and bring the OG5 back together.

That is a bitter bitter road for me and the fact that we still have to deal with that toxic shit in this day and age is frustrating as fuck.

Also... did anyone else get the impression from that fade to black kiss that 'Berto and Jubes might have banged it out? That's where my mind went.

Messy, horny soap opera man.

Edited by Dandesun
  • Like 5
40 minutes ago, Dandesun said:

Similar shit happened with Kitty. Hell, Claremont, who wasn't even writing her anymore had very specific opinions as to how old she was and wasn't shy about saying so. 

I never paid much attention to Excalibur - didn't Ellis age her up to 18 specifically so he could have his much older character avatar take her virginity? I don't remember anything about Claremont, other than her being 14 when she started to date Colossus who was at least 19/20 so that was ... not great. 

• Useful 1
On 4/2/2024 at 11:07 AM, GHScorpiosRule said:

So, I've a question regarding exactly WHEN Jean was brought back after Xavier told everyone that Jean, was in fact, alive.

After that ending, and sorry, I'm blanking on which episode he said that, we have "The Savage Land, Part 1" where Logan has a throw away line that Jean's being probed and picked at on Muir Island, to the first episode of "The Dark Phoenix" where we get flashbacks of where Jean was found.

I've watched EVERY SINGLE episode, and I don't recall the episode where they found her. Or did that happen and they just threw it in there?

Quotimg myself here because no one responded when I posted this in the original show thread.😞

So, @Dandesun , @Danny Franks anyone????

And dammit, I was hoping Storm’s powers would come back! And what a treat to have Allison back!!! I had to laugh at the flashback to the Genosha episode because the Asian mutant in red? His name was Sunspot in the original show’s episode!😄😄😄

But I really don’t like Storm’s hair here. I loved her thick and flowing tresses from before.

And why doesn’t Morph have a nose? Or hair?

1 hour ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Quotimg myself here because no one responded when I posted this in the original show thread.😞

So, @Dandesun , @Danny Franks anyone????

And dammit, I was hoping Storm’s powers would come back! And what a treat to have Allison back!!! I had to laugh at the flashback to the Genosha episode because the Asian mutant in red? His name was Sunspot in the original show’s episode!😄😄😄

But I really don’t like Storm’s hair here. I loved her thick and flowing tresses from before.

And why doesn’t Morph have a nose? Or hair?

Jean was found in a flashback in the first part of "The Dark Phoenix Saga" on rock shores of Muir Island.

Storm's story arc was based on her time in the mid-80s when she changed her look from "storm goddess" to "mohawk biker" and she had no powers.  It had something to do with her becoming more ruthless during her fight with Callisto, which did not involve energy staffs like in the cartoon, but switchblade knives.  Storm succeeds in stabbing Callisto to save the life of Kitty Pryde and the freedom of the X-Men.  When Storm changes her look, Kitty, who looked up to Storm as a big sister type, is rather upset by this.  Ironically, Kitty would go through a similar story arc where she develops an edge and a adopts a dark blue costume to reflect this.

And Morph looks the way he does because that's how he looks like in the X-Men storyline "Age of Apocalypse".  It fits what the producers concept of him being more gender fluid.

• Useful 2
9 hours ago, bmoore4026 said:

Jean was found in a flashback in the first part of "The Dark Phoenix Saga" on rock shores of Muir Island.

Thanks. I wasn't sure if there had been an episode where they actually found hers, since most of the flashbacks/exposition of other things were from previous episodes, so it was driving me nuts thinking I'd missed something.

• Like 1

One thing we do know is real Jean likes to wear her hair in a ponytail while in costume while Madelyne let it loose - they actually changed the shot in the credits to show this.  So someone go check (just kidding).

16 hours ago, JustHereForFood said:

I never paid much attention to Excalibur - didn't Ellis age her up to 18 specifically so he could have his much older character avatar take her virginity? I don't remember anything about Claremont, other than her being 14 when she started to date Colossus who was at least 19/20 so that was ... not great. 

Yeah, well, Claremont did write Kitty getting seduced by an evil version of Courtney Ross (Sat-Yr-9) on her 15th birthday in Excalibur. They didn't do anything overtly sexual but Claremont was very clear about what was happening and has used the term 'seduction' in reference to that story in the years since. So...  yeah... look, like I said there are definite problematic elements in his writing and there are very definitely things that didn't age well AT ALL.

As for Ellis, yes, I always assumed that Kitty was at least 18 when the stuff with Wisdom went down. I believe Ellis assumed the same. The age difference didn't bother me too much because considering Kitty's life she was wildly more mature and experienced than your every day 18 year old.

I'll bring it back to the show, Jubilee is officially declared to be 18 which I appreciate but also consider all the things she's been through since she joined the X-men. On the upside, Roberto is clearly not over a decade older than her. They seem to be the same age so, yeah, kids... do what you're gonna do. Use protection!

31 minutes ago, Dandesun said:

Jubilee is officially declared to be 18

I was surprised at that-not that I expected her to be younger, but at least 19? I mean, original show ran five seasons/five years to my mind, and she was 15 when it started. And it's been reported that this show started about 4-5 months after the original ended. So by that math, she should be 19-20. But I'll take the 18 over the 15.

And don't get me started on the lazy article in The Washington Post I saw today. While it was praising the show, it stated that Xavier left to got "recuperate" with Lilandra, which, not true. Earth's medicine couldn't keep him alive so he left so he wouldn't DIE. And some other stuff, which my anal retentive brain just found irritating.

Going to admit, I'm not a fan of Mojo at all (not even in the comics), so this episode didn't really do anything for me. 
I appreciate them breaking the Storm story into small parts which I guess will play at the end of each episode as a 10-minute part story each week. I initially wondered why it wasn't cut into the main story, but then realised the flow would be totally wrong, so get why they've done it this way. 

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Captain Stable said:

Going to admit, I'm not a fan of Mojo at all (not even in the comics), so this episode didn't really do anything for me. 

I’ve never liked Mojo and pretty much skip those episodes or fast forward its scenes. Other than hearing original Jubilee’s voice, this was eh for me. I know I did wonder where Longshot was, considering all those flashbacks from the original were shown.

• Like 1

Yeah, Mojo has always been one of the worst villains/plot enablers in the X-verse (hell, in the entire Marvel universe). He's completely one-note and repetitive, a one trick pony and the stories involving him always feel like complete filler (similar to Arcade).

The only good thing that has ever come out of the Mojo-verse is Spiral, who makes for a fun villain or antagonistic ally.

(edited)

Mohawk Storm was a direct result of my all-time favorite storyline, The Brood Saga. This storyline isn't discussed much but it had a lot of long-term consequences for the X-Universe. Among them that Storm was cut off from Earth while the X-Men were in space for months and losing that connection to the Earth is what started her on her darker path to Mohawk Storm.

I enjoyed Motendo and Life Death Part 1. Montendo was an absolutel blast and the short time worked perfectly. Life Death Part 1 should have been it's own separate episode and suffered due to its shorter running time, being a cliff notes version of the original issue although still good. Gil Birmingham is great in whatever he's in (despite Taylor Sheridan's poor writing) and is a great choice to voice Forge.

Edited by benteen

You mean how all of it will clearly be reversed?  Because this isn't the first time we've seen this sort of thing happen.

Of course, since the X-Men love their relationship drama it's likely the love square and love triangle will continue on afterwards. 

Also, should we really be calling the X-Mansion a school when there are no students, no classes, and no teachers?   

• Like 1

Well, that was a thing. A lot of things.

I was afraid they would go there with the genocide as soon as they mentioned Genosha being a major location. Apparently we can't have persecuted minorities having a safe country to live in even in a story. Yes, I know it happened in comics, I was just hoping that for once, we could have a nice thing.

Also, not a fan that they went there with the Rogue/Magneto flashbacks, especially since she was very young at the time. Now he looks like a creep.

Gambit was awesome and I am going to remain calm because they have to reverse that somehow, right? You all agree with me that they will reverse it, right? Right?

• Applause 1
5 hours ago, bmoore4026 said:

I just finished watching the new episode.  None of you.  None of you are prepared for what happens.  😭💔

2 hours ago, baldryanr said:

You mean how all of it will clearly be reversed?  Because this isn't the first time we've seen this sort of thing happen.

Of course, since the X-Men love their relationship drama it's likely the love square and love triangle will continue on afterwards. 

Also, should we really be calling the X-Mansion a school when there are no students, no classes, and no teachers?   

11 minutes ago, JustHereForFood said:

Also, not a fan that they went there with the Rogue/Magneto flashbacks, especially since she was very young at the time. Now he looks like a creep.

Gambit was awesome and I am going to remain calm because they have to reverse that somehow, right? You all agree with me that they will reverse it, right? Right?

Oh, I am not looking forward to watching this. I think I'll have a drink while doing so. 

• Hugs 1

I wonder if Scott has been watching Magneto's old speeches.  That little diatribe he unleashed was straight from the mutant supremacist's handbook, and he wouldn't have had it ready to go if he hadn't thought about it.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, baldryanr said:

I wonder if Scott has been watching Magneto's old speeches.  That little diatribe he unleashed was straight from the mutant supremacist's handbook, and he wouldn't have had it ready to go if he hadn't thought about it.

I would co-sign every word he said.

• Like 1
  • Fire 1

This episode was bonkers, and I loved it. 

Magneto and Gambit are my favorite X-Men. Though I love the show and am getting a kick out of the fandom swooning over Magneto, I think both Magneto and Gambit were drawn to look more good-looking in the original show. They are just fine now.

Anyway, I need both Gambit and Magneto to be ok.

• Like 2
(edited)
7 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Oh, I am not looking forward to watching this. I think I'll have a drink while doing so. 

You'll need it.  Oh, and Ace of Base's "Happy Nation" gets used in the episode in a very amazing scene.

Edited by bmoore4026
  • Like 1

What an incredible episode. Really.

I found Nightcrawler being the guide through Genosha for Rogue and Gambit to be very meta considering that he was the one being introduced to Genosha by Wanda in 'Wolverine & the X-Men.' Also, I still full on ship Kurt/Wanda because of that show.

And I always LOVE seeing Kurt, he's one of my all time faves.

The complicated mess that is Maddy/Scott/Jean... oh and Logan, I guess... is really rich and made far more complicated than I feel it was in the comics. As far as Scott knew, he WAS with Jean. And Maddy didn't die so his continued connection to her makes sense. Jean struggling with it also makes sense. In comics, Jean and Scott didn't just immediately reunite in X-Factor, it was messy and complicated because Jean had lost YEARS of her life as well as her telepathy and Scott was reeling from Jean being back and then Maddy and Nate being lost.

Here is even more of a mess. Interesting that they went with the psychic affair that Scott had with Emma but switched it out with Maddy here. Although Emma looking on in Genosha was... interesting. The Scott/Jean showdown was really well written, I could see both sides of the argument.

Logan. *ugh* I hate every incarnation of Logan/Jean. I really cannot stand it. But I could see the choices made here... Logan checking in, Jean struggling with her memories, and I even understand the choice to have Jean kiss Logan while she's struggling with her memories and the fact that Scott won't talk to her (and then find out he's psychically macking on Maddy and has been for the past month) especially since when he was trying to help in the Goblin Queen episode he gave her his feelings to focus on.

But I am NOT rooting for Logan/Jean. That will never happen.

Y'all saw the shadow of the Watcher in the skies, right? You know something is about to go down. I'm glad Rogue finally told Remy about her past with Magneto (although I was all 'Rogue, girl, you fucked your professor from college... that's what this looks like' in the flashbacks) and I'm also glad he pointed out that he followed her lead in not making it official between them and then saying Magneto would probably break her heart but until that they wouldn't be anything other than friends. (Pulling from a period in the comics where he let her go because he was tired of the push/pull and told her to go live her life but not to come back to him until she was ready to commit.)

Then we have sexy mutant dancing between Rogue and Magneto (that dress she wore a callback to X-Men 4 and a date she went on with Remy. It got interrupted by Omega Red.) before Rogue admits that Gambit is right... some things go deeper than the skin, meaning, yeah she can touch Magneto but she's in love with Remy.

Not that Remy saw, he noped out of there pretty quickly.

Cable sighting! Maddy recognizing him as Nathan. Whatever he's trying to do doesn't work and then we get...

...a truly harrowing attack that includes elements of the last Hellfire Gala, the Mutant Massacre and E is for Extinction. That they were on the ground so you could see the fighting, the death, all of it was an amazing choice. It was all so visceral.

Magneto's 'have no fear' in German as his last words... and Remy coming through with saving Rogue's life and then sacrificing himself to take out the tri-Sentinel. "Remember It" was always going to showcase Gambit, he used the words often enough in the original series but this was beautifully devastating. The way they showcased his fighting and then charging up the motorcycle to save Rogue and then charging up the tri-Sentinel to destroy it. Gambit is one of my favorites as well. I loved this episode for him, I truly did.

Rogue weeping over him, 'I can't feel you' fade to black and the somber credits music.

What an incredible episode.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Love 3
28 minutes ago, Dandesun said:

The complicated mess that is Maddy/Scott/Jean... oh and Logan, I guess...

No. just no. I do NOT want to see, nor am I interested in any kind of triangle or quad or whatever! So the only thing they're using from the original is that it's 4-5 months later, but ignoring every damn FUCKING thing that happened in those five seasons? And just using stuff from comics in the 80s?

There was NO MADDY in the '92 series. So FUCK THAT. I don't give any bluedilly FUCKS about that abomination that was Wolverine and The X-Men.

Scott loved Jean and she loved Scott. They were committed to each other. They were HAPPY, DESPITE Logan mooning like ass, acting as if he and Jean had ANY, any chance. They did NOT. Scott and Jean got married. The End.

I am so PISSED OFF right now.

2 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

No. just no. I do NOT want to see, nor am I interested in any kind of triangle or quad or whatever! So the only thing they're using from the original is that it's 4-5 months later, but ignoring every damn FUCKING thing that happened in those five seasons? And just using stuff from comics in the 80s?

There was NO MADDY in the '92 series. So FUCK THAT. I don't give any bluedilly FUCKS about that abomination that was Wolverine and The X-Men.

Scott loved Jean and she loved Scott. They were committed to each other. They were HAPPY, DESPITE Logan mooning like ass, acting as if he and Jean had ANY, any chance. They did NOT. Scott and Jean got married. The End.

I am so PISSED OFF right now.

Spoiler

Between the whole love square, him going off at the reporter during the interview, and the big, major thing that happens in this episode, I'm wondering if Scott is going to snap and become the new Magneto figure for mutantkind.

• Like 1

It was last week, but I was reminded of it by the previously on: "Call me Madelyne Pryor."

I know this is a comics adaptation but does the clunky writing need to reflect that? How about just "Call me Madelyne. I always liked that name." Fans of the comics will still get the reference and get a kick out of it. Then, when we see her next (this episode) she can have taken the last name Pryor because, *insert reason here*. Or just never mention the last name and keep it an easter egg. Would make it feel a lot more organic.

-

Dude with translucent skin and flesh, do you have no shame? Put on some clothes!

-

So Cable is Scott's and Madelyne's son? I'm not that well versed in X-Men lore, so that was news to me. Did he show up on this show before?

-

Was that Magneto saying "Hab' keine Angst."? Because that sounded like a different person.

-

This episode was certainly intense, well done and I really liked it. But I assume it's going to get undone by time travel next episode.

10 minutes ago, PurpleTentacle said:

It was last week, but I was reminded of it by the previously on: "Call me Madelyne Pryor."

I know this is a comics adaptation but does the clunky writing need to reflect that?

Counterpoint - For someone like me who is a casual fan, the scene tells me this is an important name, and I can look up more about the character. 

• Like 1
(edited)
19 minutes ago, DoctorAtomic said:

Counterpoint - For someone like me who is a casual fan, the scene tells me this is an important name, and I can look up more about the character. 

Counterpoint: I didn't know anything about that storyline before, including the name and I thought it was jarring as hell.

I don't want to know that the name is important and have to look it up. When I get here on the boards, I suspect some spoilers / comparisons to the comics, since we aren't doing the episode thread thing, but while I'm watching I want to be immersed. Inserting prompts to google into your script is not good, immersive writing.

Edited by PurpleTentacle
1 hour ago, PurpleTentacle said:

So Cable is Scott's and Madelyne's son? I'm not that well versed in X-Men lore, so that was news to me. Did he show up on this show before?

He's been seen multiple times.  The first time he was wandering around Genosha as a mercenary fighting for freedom, but later on they established he was fighting Apocalypse in the future.

In fact, there was an episode where Apocalypse killed the X-Men thanks to Bishop's actions, so Cable has to head back and fix things.  So there's a precedent, especially since this episode made it sound like this wasn't his first try at intervening. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
(edited)

Well. Damn.

Putting aside Scott's angst and the love triangle no one really wants, I have to ask: is Magneto a groomer? From the looks of it, Rogue was might young in those flashbacks, and you gotta figure Erik is in his sixties. Just a lot of ick to sort through . . . not unlike Glob Herman, the see-through boy.

Speaking of Glob . . . cute that they're put him and Pixie into this episode. Are there any other 21st Century mutants that popped up? I saw Exodus, but I think he was introduced in the Nineties.

With Bishop and Cable lingering around, the reset button is in play, right? Because damn it, no one should have to die the way Gambit did. He did go out like a champion, and we were spared a duel of boyfriends between him and Erik, but it was so tragic.

5 hours ago, PurpleTentacle said:

I know this is a comics adaptation but does the clunky writing need to reflect that? How about just "Call me Madelyne. I always liked that name." Fans of the comics will still get the reference and get a kick out of it. Then, when we see her next (this episode) she can have taken the last name Pryor because, *insert reason here*. Or just never mention the last name and keep it an easter egg. Would make it feel a lot more organic.

I don't get the reference. If I wrote it, I'd make "Madelyne" a loved relative. "Pryor"? Jean's favorite comic. That would be funny, at least to me.

16 hours ago, baldryanr said:

I took it as Scott getting tired of the 24/7 bullshit his life has been. Even if you remove human bigotry, you still have assholes like Mr. Sinister and Apocalypse that will fuck with his life without warning. I'd be really crabby too. I'm not fitting Scott for the "Magneto Was Right" t-shirt just yet.

ETA: I just set up a thread for book talk.

Edited by Lantern7
  • Like 2

While Gambit was definitely  the MVP this week, this episode left me depressed. 

ENOUGH already with the STOOPID triangle. If Jean is going to be angry about Scott doing whatever with Clone, then she shouldn’t be locking lips with Logan. Makes her look quite the hypocrite. And I don’t know about the comics, but that was some revisionist bullshit about Jean leaving the cosmos for Scott and how he was distant after she returned when she was still possessed by Phoenix.

The whole Magneto and Rogue was just GROSS. And way to go, Rogue, macking with that ass in front of Gambit. Oh? And realizing too late (for now) that is is deeper than skin with Remy? These writers can kick ROCKS.

And why is it NOW, that Cable shows some…emotion?

Scott beginning to lean into his revolutionary period is something I'm here for. And as much as I don't like triangles I think the Scott centered one actually makes sense and is emotionally complicated and that is coming across. It's not as simple as 'well so and so is a hypocrite' to me. What I'm seeing is a group of people dealing with a lot of insane shit and that's totally okay for me.

Could it get tired? Yes but I have a real fondness for Scott and Jean separately and together and while I never connected much with Maddy in the books I think she did get screwed and her coming back in Krakoa and Jean making peace with her was really really good stuff. And yes, I think Maddy/Alex works and I root for those two kids. Except that's not the case here in X97 so I'm interested in what comes next, I really am.

In regards to Magneto and Rogue. Show-runner has gone on record to say that Rogue was in her early 20s when all of this initially went down with Magneto. I've never been a fan of this pairing simply because of the power imbalance and, gods, when they went whole hog with it in AoA I feel it was even grosser but... whatever. It's in the past and I don't give it a hell of a lot of thought anymore.

Rogue ultimately making her choice and then realizing what she really wanted only to have it be too late is pure romantic tragedy. I've loved Rogue/Gambit since the 90s y'all, I wrote fanfic back in the day. I'm still friends with that crew! But man, the episode was so good that I can't even be mad at any part of it.

I know in comics no one dies for long (there are precious few exceptions to that rule... like Uncle Ben or the Waynes... once upon a time I would have said Bucky but man Brubaker wrote the hell out of that one and I ain't sorry at all) and hell, they killed off Morph in the original series and brought him back.

I've seen Magneto use his powers to keep his own heart beating when most of his chest was ripped out. I've seen him fall from orbit in Asteroid M and survive. I've seen Gambit going into the light while Rogue chased him and physically pulled him back. I've seen Gambit become the Horseman of Death for Apocalypse. I don't expect either of these deaths to take but that doesn't take anything away from how good they went out in this episode.

X-Men are hard to kill. X-Men have trouble staying dead. Both of these things are true.

And I can't wait.

• Like 2
  • Applause 3
10 minutes ago, Dandesun said:

Scott beginning to lean into his revolutionary period is something I'm here for. And as much as I don't like triangles I think the Scott centered one actually makes sense and is emotionally complicated and that is coming across. It's not as simple as 'well so and so is a hypocrite' to me. What I'm seeing is a group of people dealing with a lot of insane shit and that's totally okay for me.

Yes, this I agree with. Though it might look like I'm  contradicting myself. I'm not. Because I just LOVE Scott. Full Stop. Period.

11 minutes ago, Dandesun said:

Could it get tired? Yes but I have a real fondness for Scott and Jean separately and together and while I never connected much with Maddy in the books I think she did get screwed and her coming back in Krakoa and Jean making peace with her was really really good stuff. And yes, I think Maddy/Alex works and I root for those two kids. Except that's not the case here in X97 so I'm interested in what comes next, I really am.

it's so very tired. And I posted the morning after I watched, so did want to mention, my surprise that Logan walked away. And one of my wishes is to see Alex and for him and Scott to meet and find out they are brothers and to become friends, even though they were beating the shit out of each other in "Cold Comfort" Like I said, I'm not familiar with the comics, like at all. 

And I really appreciate the comments you write, because it forces me to think and not react, which is what I tend to do!

14 minutes ago, Dandesun said:

X-Men are hard to kill. X-Men have trouble staying dead. Both of these things are true.

Just like soap characters! So I expect Gambit to return. Get back on that horse, Cable and FIX IT.

Since they keep showing Professor X in the opening credits, and the orginal smash up with Magneto as the villain, with Mystique, Pyro, Avalanche, some bald little dude, and a Native American Dude, I'm also hoping Shi'aar medicine fixed X, and he'll come back! He did in the live movies after we saw him blowed up! So THERE!

And I noticed that in the original opening credits, we had Jubilee running up to the chain-linked fence. Here? We have Roberto/Sun Spot doing it.

• Like 1

I'm so grateful for this show. It's giving the characters I loved the respect and moments they deserve. First Cyclops and now Rogue and Gambit. I've always loved both Rogue and Gambit so seeing them fighting together with such cool animation was perfect. Also loved how they highlighted and fully realized Gambit's power, he has always been so bad ass. Plus I got some Nightcrawler. Now I just need Cable to fix this. So wish Disney would release all their episodes at once, I hate the waiting lol.

Also the Voice actor for Magneto is so good with all his deliveries.

• Like 5
  • Fire 1

That Beau DeMayo says "episode five" is just the warm up and episodes 8-10 are the big ones makes me fearful that we may be in store for one hell of a cliffhanger.  😟

• Like 2
  • Mind Blown 1
3 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Since they keep showing Professor X in the opening credits, and the orginal smash up with Magneto as the villain, with Mystique, Pyro, Avalanche, some bald little dude, and a Native American Dude, I'm also hoping Shi'aar medicine fixed X, and he'll come back! He did in the live movies after we saw him blowed up! So THERE!

And I noticed that in the original opening credits, we had Jubilee running up to the chain-linked fence. Here? We have Roberto/Sun Spot doing it.

The villain lineup is slightly different - Emma Frost and Lady Deathstrike have replaced the bald guy and Native American.

Roberto is the newbie, so it makes sense that he takes Jubilee's fence shot.

• Like 1

The Native American is James Proudstar aka Warpath and the (kind of bullshit) reason he's in the villain line up is that he started out as an antagonist because the "All New All Different" X-Men involved his older brother John aka Thunderbird who ended up dying on an early mission.

James blamed Charles and actually did some serious damage to the X-Men's reputation in his quest for revenge as part of Emma Frost's Hellions. He did eventually see the light regarding Emma and left the Hellions and ended up with the New Mutants and then joined X-Force in the 90s with Cable and a bunch of former New Mutants.

I do find it interesting that they replaced Jimmy with Emma... who also eventually became an X-man. Emma, at least, was a flat out villain for a good long time. Warpath was an antagonist because his reasons for hating Charles were valid and also he was a kid who was mourning his brother's death. AND he caught onto Emma and the Hellions stuff pretty quickly and told them all to fuck right the hell off.

I don't think anyone knows who the bald guy was supposed to be.

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
6 hours ago, Dandesun said:

I've seen Gambit become the Horseman of Death for Apocalypse. I don't expect either of these deaths to take but that doesn't take anything away from how good they went out in this episode.

God I hope that is not where they are going. I want him back, but I HATED Milligan's run, every second of it. From Mystique's BS to all of the Horsemen stuff. 🤮

2 hours ago, bmoore4026 said:

That Beau DeMayo says "episode five" is just the warm up and episodes 8-10 are the big ones makes me fearful that we may be in store for one hell of a cliffhanger.  😟

I have seen that. I am not ready. 😨 By which I mean: I am scared, but give it to me now!

• Like 4
41 minutes ago, Dandesun said:

The Native American is James Proudstar aka Warpath

Thanks @Dandesun! I think he appeared as an X-Man in the first or second Spidey toon.

I’ve hated Emma since the Dark Phoenix saga, and it was worse in Wolverine & The X-Men. At this point, I just want to see Alex/Havok. And maybe Bobby.

• Like 1

Even if Rogue is supposedly in her twenties during their affair (which is questionable, wasn't she a teenager when Mystique took her in? I thought that was confirmed on the old series), he's at least what, 25 years older than her?

4 hours ago, ruby24 said:

Even if Rogue is supposedly in her twenties during their affair (which is questionable, wasn't she a teenager when Mystique took her in? I thought that was confirmed on the old series), he's at least what, 25 years older than her?

Yes, it does make Magneto look like a giant creep.  Makes you wonder what Xavier thought about all of it (he did block a lot of Rogue's memories to prevent Carol Danvers' psyche from killing her, so he would have known about it).

Speaking of Carol and other heroes in general, from one of the new promos it looks like we may be seeing at least one non X-Men hero.  Most of it is old footage, but there are a couple of new bits.

• Like 2