Type keyword(s) to search

Quiet On Set: The Dark Side of Kids TV

• Start Topic

Two-night limited series event premieres March 17, 2024 on Investigation Discovery

“Quiet on Set reveals an insidious environment rife with allegations of abuse, sexism, racism, and inappropriate dynamics with its underage stars and crew.”

• Useful 1

I didn't catch if they mentioned it or not, but I got the vibe that Brandi may... not be with us anymore?  I imagine there was a lot of pain and guilt and possibly some form of survivors' guilt - from both Brandi and her mom. 

I only knew Dan from "Head of the Class" and didn't realize he was the same Dan Schneider/Nickelodeon.  Still, yikes. This dude can't possibly keep denying any of this stuff happened, can he?  Common denominator and all.  The whole thing was very disturbing and I shudder to think what was left on the cutting room floor, or worse - what victims/coworkers still aren't comfortable bringing up.  

• Like 13
2 hours ago, TenPea said:

How are there NO responses here?  

Is there another forum?

I watched the first part and it ended past my bedtime. Is it on late to avoid children from seeing it? 

• Like 2

I never realized just how messed up those On-Air Dares were. Or some of those All That sketches, particularly in the later reboot season…

3 hours ago, Annber03 said:

And Dan, and his intense power and control. The stuff the women who wrote for the shows had to say about working for him, the harassment and degrading things they were made to do and say. 

Also, his intense involvement in Amanda Bynes' life, to the point where he's actively helping her to emancipate herself from her parents. WHY THE FUCK DOES A TV PRODUCER HAVE THIS MUCH INVOLVEMENT IN A TEEN GIRL'S LIFE LIKE THAT? 

Just. God. Seeing all these clips and phtoos of him with Amanda in such close, intimate settings...and then you think about how much she spiralled in the following years...it's chilling. We're seeing a full on grooming in real time here. 

Yes, and in a few years Amanda finally gets her shit together enough to come forward and say he molested her, I will not be the least bit surprised.

This is chilling to watch, but I can’t stop.

• Like 13
3 hours ago, Gharlane said:

I watched the first part and it ended past my bedtime. Is it on late to avoid children from seeing it? 

It originally aired at 8 pm central time where I live, and then they repeated it at 11 pm central time.

4 hours ago, ALittleShelfish said:

I didn't catch if they mentioned it or not, but I got the vibe that Brandi may... not be with us anymore?  I imagine there was a lot of pain and guilt and possibly some form of survivors' guilt - from both Brandi and her mom. 

They didn't say, no, but yeah, I totally got that vibe as well.

• Like 6

My family didn't get cable until I was 16 and that was when I-Carly, Victorious, and Zoey 101 were the big shows. I remember my little sister watching those shows and seeing scenes here and there and thinking they were creepy. I think child acting is a pedophiles paradise. It's filled with parents who generally so desperately want their kids to be stars that they will let their kids be in uncomfortable situations, filled with people who know how to say the right things to a parent to get them control, and the money they can make is insane. It's sad to look at these kids from these Disney or Nickelodeon shows that are flying off the deep end and completely understand why. I hope that this documentary opens peoples eyes a little but I don't think it will. 

• Like 5
  • Sad 8
  • Applause 2
3 hours ago, ellekaelin said:

.It's filled with parents who generally so desperately want their kids to be stars that they will let their kids be in uncomfortable situations, filled with people who know how to say the right things to a parent to get them control, and the money they can make is insane. It's sad to look at these kids from these Disney or Nickelodeon shows that are flying off the deep end and completely understand why. 

The scariest part about this documentary is that there were some kids whose parents were actually trying to look out for them and keep them safe. They talked about how kids were required to have at least one parent on set at all times, ostensibly to protect them from shady stuff like this. 

And it still didn't save many of these kids. These creeps still found ways to get the children alone even when their parents were there. That's frightening. 

But yeah, I feel like we owe a LOT of young teen stars who've spiralled into public meltdowns and eating dosorders and mental health breakdowns and whatnot over these past few decades a huge apology. The media and so many people just shruged it off as teen stars gone wild and being misbehaving brats who were bad role models for their young fans ('cause apparently it's totally the job of a teenager who's already going through their own stuff to be responsible for other people's children and not, y'know, those kids' actual parents), and refused to acknowledge the real, serious, traumatic experiences they were going through that led to those breakdowns. And all the scrutiny just made things even worse for them. 

• Like 8
  • Applause 5

but I got the vibe that Brandi may... not be with us anymore?

I'm watching the whole thing right now and I too got that vibe. I hope not but only her mom is interviewed (at least so far) and I don't get a good feeling about it.

I'm far too old to have watched any of these Nick shows but I read Jeannette McCurdy's book and when I saw an ad for this I knew I'd have to watch.

The scariest part about this documentary is that there were some kids whose parents were actually trying to look out for them and keep them safe.

Yeah I have to say at least Drake Bell's dad knew something was up and warned his ex wife. At least Bell's mom called the police when he told her. And even his gf's mom was trying to get him help.

I know terrible stuff goes on in Hollywood all the time but this is tough to watch.

• Like 13

This is absolutely harrowing. Drake's story is just...holy goddamn shit. His dad's guilt is utterly heartbreaking. 

HE GOT 16 MONTHS FOR THIS ABUSE. What. The. Fuck. 

5 minutes ago, hypnotoad said:

Yeah I have to say at least Drake Bell's dad knew something was up and warned his ex wife. At least Bell's mom called the police when he told her. And even his gf's mom was trying to get him help.

Bless his girlfriend's mom, she is a hero. 

I keep wondering what his mom must be dealing with as well. Her ex-husband explicitly told her not to leave Drake alone with Brian, and she didn't want to drive in L.A., so as a result, Brian winds up driving him around, and has that much more opportunity to be alone with him as a result. 

But as we're seeing, Brian was a HELL of a manipulator, too, and I wonder if that also might explain some of those letters of support (though not the language of some of them, 'cause yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeah, no, there is no "temptation" involved in sexually abusing a child). If he can divide a child's parents so effortlessly like that, who knows what other kind of manipulative skills he's used on other people, for his defense or to get a job on a show or a lighter sentence or whatever. 

It's interesting that Dan reached out to Drake after this. Interesting and, knowing Dan's own sketchy history, also creepy. He may not have been involved with this particular abusive situation, but his concern...you'll pardon me if I don't find it all that sincere. 

Anywho, so yeah, again, I really need to cleanse my brain. 

• Like 13
  • Applause 3
5 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

His poor dad though. He knew something was up and tried to stop it.

It was eerie seeing that old clip of Brian with Leonardo DiCaprio when he was a young kid, in the context of describing how Brian interacted with Drake. 

• Like 15
  • Useful 1

I wonder if that also might explain some of those letters of support (though not the language of some of them, 'cause yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeah, no, there is no "temptation" involved in sexually abusing a child).

To be honest, I'm still burning with rage over the language in some of those letters. I mean my god! 'That poor adult who was pushed into temptation by a child he could no longer resist.' For shame people, for shame. Also? GROOOOOSSSS!

I was on some site reading about this show and someone in the comments said he had worked in the entertainment biz a long time and worked with a lot of people and no one creeped him out more than Dan Schneider.  I gotta say Schneider is creeping me out just watching this.

• Like 13
23 minutes ago, hypnotoad said:

I was on some site reading about this show and someone in the comments said he had worked in the entertainment biz a long time and worked with a lot of people and no one creeped him out more than Dan Schneider.  I gotta say Schneider is creeping me out just watching this.

Like I said, I had never heard of him until the rumors started floating around online within the last few years. I had no idea he was involved with some of the shows I did watch on Nickelodeon in the '90s, and then by the time "iCarly" and "Victorious" and that came along, I had long since aged out of watching stuff on that channel, so while I'd heard of those shows, I never saw them. I did see a bit of "Drake & Josh" here and there back in the day, though ,'cause my sister liked that show. 

I had no idea that "Drake & Josh" came along after the abuse Drake had suffered. That puts whatever memories I do have of that show in a whole new light. 

I think I know, though, why Dan was so much more sympathetic to Drake's situation. Dan preyed on girls and women. He may have treated Drake as a golden kid, but he didn't have the same kind of predatory focus on him that he did young women. 

(I can't get over just HOW many stories there were in this documentary about Dan always getting a massage from someone on set. Fuck's ake, dude, get a heating pad or something of that sort already and be done with it, you weirdo.)

And of course Dan was shocked when Nickelodeon finally let him go. He'd become so used to getting away with his shit for so long, he never expected there'd be a day when he might actually face any sort of consequences for what he did. 

Still got to leave with a handsome bonus, though, and is apparently talking about wanting to make a comeback. But please, people who whine about "cancel culture", do go on about how unfairly we're treating these people over these kinds of accusations. 

Honestly, if they insist on giving him some money to leave, I say they should've treated his parting salary the way he treated the salaries of the women on his staff. If he thought that was good enough for them, after all..

But yeah, way to FINALLY make a move all these years later, Nickelodeon, in kicking him out. Too little far, FARr too late, and I honestly wonder if they'll actually learn anything from this for the future, but, yeah, the less opportunity these creeps have to be able to do what they've done, the better for all involved. 

God, this was depressing as hell. I knew it would be bad, of course, but...wow. 

• Like 16
19 hours ago, ALittleShelfish said:

I didn't catch if they mentioned it or not, but I got the vibe that Brandi may... not be with us anymore?

I wondered that, too. Everything was past tense and there was no mention of if or how she dealt with what happened. Also, I was frustrated with her mother. Her mother had known about the horrors of what happens in Hollywood when the cameras stop rolling, and she ignored it. Then, she decided to not call the cops when Brandi got the lewd email. Sure, she said she would keep Brandi away from him, but calling the cops could have saved another child.

I am so hurt and disappointed hearing about James Marsden, Taran Killam, Alan Thicke, and other actors I liked writing letters of support for Brian.

• Like 16
17 minutes ago, Popples said:

I wondered that, too. Everything was past tense and there was no mention of if or how she dealt with what happened. Also, I was frustrated with her mother. Her mother had known about the horrors of what happens in Hollywood when the cameras stop rolling, and she ignored it. Then, she decided to not call the cops when Brandi got the lewd email. Sure, she said she would keep Brandi away from him, but calling the cops could have saved another child.

Yeah, when she said she debated over calling 911 only to not do so after her daughter got that creepy image sent to her, that threw me. I mean, on the one hand, given the slaps on the wrist these pedophiles did get for the utterly horrific crimes they had committed, I can't say I blame her for wondering if it'd even be worth the fight. And then the idea of her daughter having to testify when she's already clearly traumatized enough would be tough, too (though she did ultimately wind up having to do that in the end anyway, so...). 

But still. Yeah. On the other hand...how do you NOT immediately pick up the phone after that and call somebody, be it the police or someone else you think might be able to better help stop this creep? 

• Like 6
  • Love 1

Watching episode 4 and I had to pause it for a bit because I am so ticked about the support Brian Peck got and that he was then hired for 'The Suite Life of Zack & Cody', a show with young boys in it. grrrrrrr

• Like 7
  • Sad 8
9 hours ago, Annber03 said:

I think I know, though, why Dan was so much more sympathetic to Drake's situation. Dan preyed on girls and women. He may have treated Drake as a golden kid, but he didn't have the same kind of predatory focus on him that he did young women. 

He did something to Amanda, I just know it. We may never find out for sure, but it’s there. Katrina Johnson may have dodged a huge bullet when Amanda replaced her as the youngest cast member on All That.

Drake’s mom’s stupidity is why I have no patience for divorced parents who are so preoccupied with hating each other that their own child is an afterthought. I wouldn’t blame his dad if he’s still bitter that she ignored his warnings just to spite him.

I still can’t get over Drake’s interview last night. He’s got every right to his anger, but he still obviously hadn’t taken responsibility for what he did to his victims, even if he didn’t go as far as Peck.

As awful as all this is, I can’t help feeling grateful that the child stars like Miranda Cosgrove and Josh Peck escaped the damage from these predators, probably because they were lucky to have parents that protected them.

• Like 14
  • Applause 1
(edited)

the white wash over Drake continuing the cycle of abuse is kind of baffling to me ... wasn't he texting inappropriate things to a 12yo until she was 15 thats NOT normal ..

Yes what was done to him is HORRIFIC 100% FULL STOP 

But he actually attempted to groom underage girls himself and the excuse he and his lawyer used makes absolutely no sense...

it was grooming in no way should he be left alone with KIDS himself EVER.. lets not lose the forest for the trees here with this

The girls statement that he plead guilty to was as follows

the victim called Bell "the epitome of evil," and accused the actor of grooming that began when she was 12 before allegedly sexually abusing her at 15. "He was calculating. He preyed on me and sexually abused me," she said, and also accused him of sending her pictures of his genitals. "He is a monster and a danger to children."

Edited by Keywestclubkid
  • Like 8
  • Sad 5
  • Applause 7

It sucks that Drake Bell turned into an abuser himself because I think that his story is really sad but it made it less sympathetic to me. I'm sorry but I can believe that you may not have known she was only 12 but you knew damn well that she wasn't 18. I hate that Nickelodeon turned into the seedy network that it did because if you watch the documentary The Orange Years it seemed like it wasn't like that at all during the beginning. This documentary really showed me how easy it is for predators to manipulate people and get people to be on your side. I really think that Dan was the way he was to Drake because he knew that he had another show to make money off, he knew that if he wasn't extra kind to this kid then he would say something and it would be Dan Schneider dealing with consequences of hiring pedophiles. I hate that I left this show feeling like its going to happen again. I really hope that Amanda tells her story one day because I just know something happened to her and she was a big enough star that I think that something would truly happen to stop this. 

• Like 13
14 hours ago, hypnotoad said:

To be honest, I'm still burning with rage over the language in some of those letters. I mean my god! 'That poor adult who was pushed into temptation by a child he could no longer resist.' For shame people, for shame. Also? GROOOOOSSSS!

So much of the wording was the same that I wonder if these people were told some other story about what he was in trouble for and were given some sort of template for the letters??

• Like 8
  • Useful 2
23 minutes ago, geekgirl921 said:

So much of the wording was the same that I wonder if these people were told some other story about what he was in trouble for and were given some sort of template for the letters??

It wouldn't surprise me

• Like 8
39 minutes ago, geekgirl921 said:

I expect that is probably exactly what happened.  His attorneys probably reached out to them after getting names of people who were likely to be on his side.  If they agreed to write a letter on his behalf, the attorneys would probably supply a template of some sort laying out what they wanted them to say and how to say it and even give examples of what wording would be best.

Defense attorneys do this sort of thing all the time.

• Like 6
  • Useful 2

This was so difficult to watch. Just hearing so many instances where bad stuff was blatantly going on and nothing stopped it. Or when it was discovered, it was downplayed. Those kids were used and spat out. They may act like they were genuinely taking care of the kids but in the end money ruled peoples decisions and they just turned their head and let it happen.

So I was older when those shows came out so I didn't watch them. My daughter, however, discovered iCarly and binged it. I had to side eye some of those jokes and the obvious foot fetish that someone behind the scenes clearly had. Barf.

The thing that bothers me the most about the letters of support are that they come at the sentencing. So everyone who wrote one knew he was found guilty, right? Very disturbing.

• Sad 3
(edited)

I was disappointed that Drake used the same excuses for his own inappropriate behavior that people used to defend his predator; He was under a lot of stress, it was a low point in his life,... He should have just admitted that his behavior was wrong and inexcusable

Edited by SweetieDarling
  • Like 11
  • Applause 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, SweetieDarling said:

About 2/3 through the shows I realized that Dan Schneider played Ricky Smith, the creepy neighbor across the street, in the movie Better Off Dead. Prophetic casting?

Oh my God that is perfect!!! Apparently he never could keep his testicles (tentacles) off of other people.

Edited by badhaggis
  • Wink 1
7 hours ago, Armchair Critic said:

I know partners can have different interests but I always thought it weird that Dan Schneider’s wife was a diet guru. 

DS appears to have lost weight in recent pictures. Maybe weight loss surgery or drugs? Anyway, I knew him because I watched Head of the Class. Then I saw he was a big deal at Nickelodeon. My younger cousin watched some of the shows, but I was too old for it. I wonder what set Amanda Bynes off. They implied DS was not a sexual predator, just a creep. He was so close to her and the business with her parents was odd. 

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
(edited)
11 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

He did something to Amanda, I just know it. We may never find out for sure, but it’s there. Katrina Johnson may have dodged a huge bullet when Amanda replaced her as the youngest cast member on All That.

I fully agree. Or if he himself didn't sexually abuse her, he knows who did/was friendly with whomever did. You don't get that close with a kid on your show like that without some weird sketchy stuff going on somewhere. 

I feel like that's another reason he reached out to Drake after everything happened with Brian. His "concern" was more a subtle way of trying to see if his name was connected to any of the ongoing investigation, and his "support" was yet another way to try and protect himself. Which just adds a whole other level of ick to this nightmare. 

6 hours ago, geekgirl921 said:

If the commments after the fact from Kearns are any indication, it definitely seems like there was some of that going on. Like I said above, people like Brian are master manipulators, after all - if he was able to divide Drake's parents as easily as he did, if he was able to groom his victims as he did, it's not exactly a stretch to believe he told some super sympathetic story that made it easier to get his supporters on his side. I do think that is a valid discussion all its own to have whenever this topic comes up, because abusers manipulate the publc just as much, if not more, than they do their victims - that's how they're able to get by with their crimes for so long.

And then there is also the issue of people struggling to wrap their heads around the fact that someone they knew/liked/trusted, and whom they had purely positive experiences with, could be capable of such awful things. It doesn't excuse or justify the kinds of defenses people make of abusers in these circumstances at all - the language in those letters of support was all sorts of WTF no matter what the supporters believed about the case - but I do think that kind of intense manipulation and control and so on can explain some of why people are often so quick to defend in these kinds of situations. 

3 hours ago, kimbrchick said:

So I was older when those shows came out so I didn't watch them. My daughter, however, discovered iCarly and binged it. I had to side eye some of those jokes and the obvious foot fetish that someone behind the scenes clearly had. Barf.

I had heard about the foot fetish stuff when the rumors started floating around, but I'd never seen the clips showng it until now, and...yeah. That's...super weird. And creepy. 

When they were talking about all the stuff kids were getting sprayed with and covered in and whatnot, like the peanut butter or the sugar or goo, that just highlighted how incredibly insidious all of this was. As a kid I'd see some of those gross-out moments and I just saw it as that - haha, kids like to get messy and do gross-out humor, of course a network for kids will revel in that, right? 

But then you see those same scenes as an adult, and you realize that the adults on set knew exactly what kind of innuendo and insinuations they were making with those messy, gross-out moments, and holy crap, is that an unsettling realization. 

(They mentioned Ren & Stimpy early on in this documentary, how kids loved that show back in the day. I absolutely watched that show as a kid. I thought it was hilarious. And then I remember catching some reruns once when Teen Nick was going through a period where they were showing old '90s cartoons and other shows...

...and I remember thinking, "...how in the hell did this show ever get greenlit to be on Nickelodeon?" It was NOT a kids' show, by any stretch of the imagination. Not at all.

But, knowing what we know now about the culture at Nickelodeon, it's not as surprising as it might seem that a show like that would air on that channel. And that's even more eerie when you consider the creator of that cartoon also got in some hot water over some creepy allegations involving young people.)

Edited by Annber03
  • Like 7
(edited)

Oh Jesus, apparently people have been trashing Josh Peck on Twitter for supposedly ”staying silent” silent about what happened to Drake.

It never occurred to these self-righteous idiots that not everything needs to be a public statement! He’s reached out to Drake in private, which is all fine and well, but people are acting like he’s obligated to make a public statement. He and Drake aren’t that close anymore (for obvious reasons, I don’t blame him), and he’s moved on with his life. There is nothing wrong with that. In fact, considering all the shit we saw come out of this documentary, I thought people would understand that he didn’t want to open that can of worms again!

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Like 9
  • Sad 2
  • Applause 2
11 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Oh Jesus, apparently people have been trashing Josh Peck on Twitter for supposedly ”staying silent” silent about what happened to Drake.

It never occurred to these self-righteous idiots that not everything needs to be a public statement! He’s reached out to Drake in private, which is all fine and well, but people are acting like he’s obligated to make a public statement. He and Drake aren’t that close anymore (for obvious reasons, I don’t blame him), and he’s moved on with his life. There is nothing wrong with that. In fact, considering all the shit we saw come out of this documentary, I thought people would understand that he didn’t want to open that can of worms again!

I agree. Not everything has to be a public statement.  Some things are private.  People need to chill. 

• Like 8
  • Applause 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, Cherry Styles said:

I agree. Not everything has to be a public statement.  Some things are private.  People need to chill. 

And they’re going after Miranda for not saying anything either. Because God forbid we give celebrities time and space to process things.

And these keyboard warriors have conveniently forgotten Drake’s crimes, so maybe there’s a good reason why Miranda and Josh probably have complicated feelings that they don’t want to air out!

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Like 6
4 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

And they’re going after Miranda for not saying anything either. Because God forbid we give celebrities time and space to process things.

And these keyboard warriors have conveniently forgotten Drake’s crimes, so maybe there’s a good reason why Miranda and Josh probably have complicated feelings that they don’t want to air out!

Poor Amanda Bynes being dragged into all this stuff without her consent is also kinda weird to me .. now she is being forced to not only relive whatever she was put through by this man but having people online commenting on WHY hasn't she  spoke out yet like she is some trained dog that must bark ... this is a real person who obviously went through some shit if she doesnt talk LEAVE her alone ...

• Like 4
  • Sad 1
  • Applause 9
(edited)
57 minutes ago, Keywestclubkid said:

Poor Amanda Bynes being dragged into all this stuff without her consent is also kinda weird to me .. now she is being forced to not only relive whatever she was put through by this man but having people online commenting on WHY hasn't she  spoke out yet like she is some trained dog that must bark ... this is a real person who obviously went through some shit if she doesnt talk LEAVE her alone ...

Understandable, the positive is maybe instead of being a joke about her  behavior, people will instead realize we are talking about someone who is not well, someone who withstood a lot of awful things that broke her. 

Edited by libgirl2
  • Like 8
48 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

Understandable, the positive is maybe instead of being a joke about her  behavior, people will instead realize we are talking about someone who is not well, someone who withstood a lot of awful things that broke her. 

I wish the internet was that positive but seriously Twitter is the worst with now attacking her for not speaking out like she didn’t go through her mental breakdown in front of everyone already .. I fell like they are pushing her that way again 

• Like 4
  • Sad 8
12 minutes ago, Keywestclubkid said:

I wish the internet was that positive but seriously Twitter is the worst with now attacking her for not speaking out like she didn’t go through her mental breakdown in front of everyone already .. I fell like they are pushing her that way again 

I was unaware that was going on. Very sad. People are jerks. 

• Like 7

"We care about people's mental health but also why are you celebrities who've been through your own shit not saying anything right now?" 

Seriously, some people just shouldn't be allowed access to the internet. 

• Like 4
  • Applause 5

Dan Schneider definitely had weight loss surgery.

He is an example of when a person's outside appearance reflects the ugliness of their soul. I'm not criticizing him for being overweight; rather, there was something about his posture and manner that screamed unhealthiness. 

I loved Head of the Class and had a huge crush on Brian Robbins. (I loved his mullet, god help me). This is so disappointing--there's no way this guy wasn't aware of the fucked up dynamics on his sets. Whether he was involved in inappropriate behavior is another story, but it's certainly more than possible.

Beyond the behind-the-scenes issues, Robbins and his team were responsible for Nickelodeon's programming. They obviously okayed  the foot stuff, "money shot" simulation,  potato squeezing, peanut butter dare, and the rest. They need to own that and be held accountable. 

Drake Bell was articulate and credible when telling his story. It's so upsetting that he apparently went on to aabuse at least one other child. I hope he does something to make amends.

What a toxic culture; it needs to be burned down and rebuilt from scratch. Burn It Down by Maureen Ryan covers a lot of the toxic misogyny, homophobia, and racism in Hollywood, but to the best of my recollection, she didn't cover the Nick stuff.  

• Like 6
  • Useful 2
On 3/19/2024 at 10:27 AM, ellekaelin said:

I really think that Dan was the way he was to Drake because he knew that he had another show to make money off, he knew that if he wasn't extra kind to this kid then he would say something and it would be Dan Schneider dealing with consequences of hiring pedophiles.

I don't think that Dan's hiring practices were accidental. From everything that I have heard, pre-internet, pedophiles who identified each other would often share access they had to children whether it was through volunteer organizations such as the Scouts, schools, church groups, sports teams, etc. The Brian Peck/ John Wayne Gacy connection was not an innocent or unintentionally created relationship. I would be looking at ALL of the men that were part of the Dan Scheider/ Tollin/Robbins production team. While Schneider continues to say he didn't hire these folks - someone did. I'd also note that Brian Robbins seems to be completely silent about all of this, even as he continues to run Nickelodeon.

On 3/19/2024 at 9:48 AM, Keywestclubkid said:

the white wash over Drake continuing the cycle of abuse is kind of baffling to me ... wasn't he texting inappropriate things to a 12yo until she was 15 thats NOT normal ..

Yes what was done to him is HORRIFIC 100% FULL STOP 

But he actually attempted to groom underage girls himself and the excuse he and his lawyer used makes absolutely no sense...

it was grooming in no way should he be left alone with KIDS himself EVER.. lets not lose the forest for the trees here with this

The girls statement that he plead guilty to was as follows

the victim called Bell "the epitome of evil," and accused the actor of grooming that began when she was 12 before allegedly sexually abusing her at 15. "He was calculating. He preyed on me and sexually abused me," she said, and also accused him of sending her pictures of his genitals. "He is a monster and a danger to children."

One thing that is we don't talk about is the prevalence of victims of child sexual abuse who then go on to offend, whether against children or against adults. It didn't sound like Drake got into therapy immediately and instead had to hit bottom before he started to get help. People who are abused as children need help to unpack their own emotional trauma and to understand how not to use the behavior of their abusers to define how to approach close intimate relationships. 

• Like 12
(edited)
1 hour ago, Rlb8031 said:

I don't think that Dan's hiring practices were accidental. From everything that I have heard, pre-internet, pedophiles who identified each other would often share access they had to children whether it was through volunteer organizations such as the Scouts, schools, church groups, sports teams, etc. The Brian Peck/ John Wayne Gacy connection was not an innocent or unintentionally created relationship. I would be looking at ALL of the men that were part of the Dan Scheider/ Tollin/Robbins production team. While Schneider continues to say he didn't hire these folks - someone did. I'd also note that Brian Robbins seems to be completely silent about all of this, even as he continues to run Nickelodeon.

One thing that is we don't talk about is the prevalence of victims of child sexual abuse who then go on to offend, whether against children or against adults. It didn't sound like Drake got into therapy immediately and instead had to hit bottom before he started to get help. People who are abused as children need help to unpack their own emotional trauma and to understand how not to use the behavior of their abusers to define how to approach close intimate relationships. 

He didn’t hit bottom he went after a 12yo then tried to use the excuse of I didn’t know how old she was after talking to her for almost 4 years  .. he also beats his GFs .. now what happened to him is horrific but this sudden forgetting of who is is TODAY baffles me .. those things just didn’t go away .. he’s still a predator himself .. again what happened to him is HORRIBLE but doesn’t excuse his horrible behavior 

again this is just my opinion coming from someone who was molested has a child by a family friend (boy did I have one fucked up childhood but looking back at it with a absentee parent who was more worried about herself then her child I think god every day that it wasn’t worse and that I had other family to “rescue” me) I’m just saying  excusing behavior because he went through the same shit  he should know better .. putting someone else through the same type of situation 

sorry I get a lil triggered with this topic in general :) 

Edited by Keywestclubkid
  • Hugs 8
  • Love 2
23 minutes ago, Keywestclubkid said:

He didn’t hit bottom he went after a 12yo then tried to use the excuse of I didn’t know how old she was after talking to her for almost 4 years  .. he also beats his GFs .. now what happened to him is horrific but this sudden forgetting of who is is TODAY baffles me .. those things just didn’t go away .. he’s still a predator himself .. again what happened to him is HORRIBLE but doesn’t excuse his horrible behavior 

again this is just my opinion coming from someone who was molested has a child by a family friend excusing behavior because he went through the same shit he should know better 

@Keywestclubkid I am so very sorry that you were victimized in that manner. No person should be violated, and please don't take anything that I said as implying such a thing. 

What I was trying in a clumsy way to say is that the issue of how we deal with victims is something that has much larger societal impacts and should be approached in a broader manner. The fact that there are still families who don't want their kids to get therapy is a real thing. The way the system re-traumatizes children who do come forward and report as they are going through the criminal process is a real thing. And the fact that victims who do not get assistance often do turn into abusers is a real thing. If we want to stop these crimes, we have to do something different than what has been done in the past. In my mind, the question is how/why he got to who he is today and what portion of it could be prevented so we break this painful cycle. 

• Like 10
(edited)
27 minutes ago, Rlb8031 said:

@Keywestclubkid I am so very sorry that you were victimized in that manner. No person should be violated, and please don't take anything that I said as implying such a thing. 

What I was trying in a clumsy way to say is that the issue of how we deal with victims is something that has much larger societal impacts and should be approached in a broader manner. The fact that there are still families who don't want their kids to get therapy is a real thing. The way the system re-traumatizes children who do come forward and report as they are going through the criminal process is a real thing. And the fact that victims who do not get assistance often do turn into abusers is a real thing. If we want to stop these crimes, we have to do something different than what has been done in the past. In my mind, the question is how/why he got to who he is today and what portion of it could be prevented so we break this painful cycle. 

Hurt people hurt people .. I just could never imagine putting someone else through that shit… to this day I find stuff that will randomly trigger me (I avoid bath tubs) .. so when someone who was hurt themselves does it to someone else it makes me batty  cause they know the pain.. 

Edited by Keywestclubkid
  • Like 7
  • Hugs 2

My feelings for Drake Bell are very similar to my feelings about Michael Jackson. While I fully sympathize that he had a really rough childhood, and had some really horrible struggles. I also fully believe that Michael Jackson was a child molester and a danger to children. I feel the same way about Drake Bell. I just don't believe that your past gets to justify your future choices.

• Like 12