Type keyword(s) to search

Transplant: Season 3 Discussion

statsgirl
  • Start Topic

2 hours ago, DanaK said:

I missed the first few minutes due to a local news interruption. Was the dad patient with a shouty daughter and getting a hysterectomy transgender?

No, he had both male and female parts, a rare natural condition.  He had not known about it.

• Like 1

I’m in the US and just watched S3 episodes 1 and 2 (Peacock). The daughter in episode 2 was annoying as hell. I sympathize with her frustration with doctors not having listened to her, but she was supposed to be advocating for her father. Instead she seemed to want to take out her frustrations on Bash as if she was the patient and basically ignored what her father wanted.

The woman who was afraid of needles: why on earth was Theo the one giving that shot, anyway? She probably would have been more comfortable with one of the nurses. The new nurse was pretty obnoxious when she complained to Claire. I don’t see her career lasting very long. 

So IRL when a patient has such a big phobia about needles that they kick up as huge a fuss as this woman did and even yank their arm away, isn’t there a better way to deal with it? Like give her a Valium and wait for it to kick in? Or some laughing gas? I doubt that just “taking more time” with her would have been very effective. She could have kept them there all day trying to coax her.

June’s sister is a royal PITA. Can’t be bothered to remember an alarm code and then breaks a window to get back in. I hope June makes her pay the bills incurred due to her dumbassery.

Speaking of PITAs… Mags’ parents. Oy vey. I suppose they’re so intrusive and generally extra because of Mags’ heart problem as a kid, but wow are they annoying.

• Like 1
On 10/23/2023 at 11:00 PM, CarpeFelis said:

The woman who was afraid of needles: why on earth was Theo the one giving that shot, anyway? She probably would have been more comfortable with one of the nurses.

A hospital this size would have a floating nurse who specialized in "hard sticks". That is who would have been called in to handle this.

• Like 3

I'm in the US, so we just watched "Multiple Choice".

Bash needs to let Amira go to the performing arts school.  As she said, they teach a full slate of academics, so I don't know what his deal is.  I don't like it when those two are at odds.

I like the actress who plays Dr. Devi.  Never seen her in anything else before.

For the poster upthread, I think Theo took the ice bath because he's still processing the helicopter crash and its aftermath.  Earlier in the episode, he had talked about it being cold at night before he was found.

I still don't like his ex-wife Mel, and I'm not a fan of Bash and Mags as a couple.

Also, we're in Year 3 of this show.  I know Syria's different from Canada, but enough already with Bash having to start at the bottom as a trauma surgeon.  He was a trauma surgeon in Syria, and he's been working in a Canadian hospital for three years.  He didn't "forget" how to be a surgeon.  Doing this "start at the bottom" thing again after three years is getting old.  He's been doing that for the length of the show.  Let him advance professionally.

Edited by Ohmo
  • Like 4

3x06 "Audition"

On 10/29/2022 at 9:49 PM, statsgirl said:

LOL.  I assume that she's heading to Rania's place. I say, let her audition, she's so awful that she won't get into the school.

Oh thank god, it's not just me. Listening to that audition reel repeatedly was just painful. Bash shouldn't be concerned about her getting accepted; just let her apply and let them tell her she's tone deaf.

• LOL 3

Can someone refresh my memory as to what exactly is going on with the nurses in season 3?  Are they on strike (but some are working)?  Are they working less hours because of the changes Dr. Cylon made (I don't remember her name)?

3 hours ago, KeithJ said:

Are they working less hours because of the changes Dr. Cylon made (I don't remember her name)?

Pretty sure it was a schedule change by Dr. Cylon (lol) that was supposed to be an improvement, but isn't actually, as many bureaucratic decisions are.

• Useful 1

Episode 3:12

Where's Dr Bishop? Did he and Claire split up? I don't remember; if they did then ok him not being there but if they didn't why wasn't he in hospital to see Claire? I mean she was stabbed and her condition was serious. I realise that John Hannah probably wasn't available however, it was really jarring to see some random guy instead of Dr Bishop. Now that I think about it, even if they did split up, they'd been together for so long that I would have expected him to visit her if he had heard about her hospitalisation.

21 hours ago, KeithJ said:

Can someone refresh my memory as to what exactly is going on with the nurses in season 3?  Are they on strike (but some are working)?  Are they working less hours because of the changes Dr. Cylon made (I don't remember her name)?

From how I understand it (and one of the episode titles), they are doing "Work to Rule." I mostly know about this from what some teachers in my county did a couple years ago. But it's basically that they will only work for their contracted hours and contracted duties, no overtime (paid or unpaid). If someone asks them to do something that's not part of their job, they will decline (that happened in the most recent episode aired in the US, though I forget what they asked the nurse to do--I just know they said something like "That's not part of my job description, so no.")

It's not really a strike, as they're still working. But if a nurse were to go outside their contracted hours, it could be viewed the same as crossing the picket line.

From my understanding, they want better pay and more reasonable hours. And think that by doing this work to rule, they will be more appreciated and get what they're demanding.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
38 minutes ago, MarylandGirl said:

From how I understand it (and one of the episode titles), they are doing "Work to Rule." I mostly know about this from what some teachers in my county did a couple years ago. But it's basically that they will only work for their contracted hours and contracted duties, no overtime (paid or unpaid). If someone asks them to do something that's not part of their job, they will decline (that happened in the most recent episode aired in the US, though I forget what they asked the nurse to do--I just know they said something like "That's not part of my job description, so no.")

It's not really a strike, as they're still working. But if a nurse were to go outside their contracted hours, it could be viewed the same as crossing the picket line.

From my understanding, they want better pay and more reasonable hours. And think that by doing this work to rule, they will be more appreciated and get what they're demanding.

Thanks.  During the episode one of the paramedics said there was no way she would cross the nurses' picket line and I think that's where my confusion was.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
15 hours ago, christie said:

Episode 3:12

Where's Dr Bishop? Did he and Claire split up?

They split up at the end of season 2 because Claire wanted a completely fresh start as she started her NP training and felt that he would favour her if they were together.

The behind-the-scenes reason was that John Hannah was only going to stay with the show for 2 seasons.

3 hours ago, MarylandGirl said:

It's a way of saying "See how necessary we are" without actually going on strike. Like Teachers, nurses do many things outside of their contracted requirements.

• Like 4
3 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

They split up at the end of season 2 because Claire wanted a completely fresh start as she started her NP training and felt that he would favour her if they were together.

The behind-the-scenes reason was that John Hannah was only going to stay with the show for 2 seasons.

Thank you

Episode 3x7 "And So It Goes"

Bash's life is scrutinized during his citizenship interview; when treating survivors of a building fire, Theo needs Bash's help with a scared young boy; Mags helps a recovering addict who swallowed her keys; June and Bash treat estranged brothers.

In last night's finale, in the case of the little girl dying, I don't understand why Theo brought in the parents to watch their daughter being declared dead

• Like 1

I really like the show but it’s going in a depressing direction. Bash seems like he wants to be back in the refugee camp but the whole show would have to pivot and lose most of the cast to go in that direction. Theo is a nice guy but keeps getting in trouble and treated poorly. June and Mags are both depressed and I wouldn’t want a depressed doctor working on me unless they were being treated. I am glad June has shorter hair, seeing her operate with long hair hanging down and not under a cap was driving me crazy.

• Like 2

I have to echo what others have said about the tone of the show.  Bash is also irritating me.  I know that there are different rules for child actors, but the actress who plays Amira is a young teen.

Transplant is Bash's story, I get it, but he's also acting like he's single. Especially since we've now seen how he and Amiria left the camp at the urging of the patient who was a former Regime soldier.  I highly doubt Amira said "Hey Bash, let's leave this camp and get on a boat."  She was what, seven, eight?

He made that decision to get on that boat with her, and while he did not choose for his parents to be killed, he was the one who could make the decisions. Amira didn't have that power.  When he told her that he was going back to Lebanon, she got a little upset but didn't push back hard enough. What if something had happened or he had died of cholera?  She would be in Canada alone.

The reality is that until Amira's of age, he's effectively her parent---the only one she has.  To go racing off to Lebanon now makes Bash look indulgent and entitled. Everything's always about him, and to the degree that he flipped out about Amira going to the performing arts school, and then say "I'm going to Lebanon" is just gross.

I understand that Amira is not meant to be a major part of the story, but Bash used to handle his responsibilities to her in a more mature way than he did in Season 3.

• Like 4
On 2/10/2024 at 12:00 PM, DanaK said:

In last night's finale, in the case of the little girl dying, I don't understand why Theo brought in the parents to watch their daughter being declared dead

I thought maybe to show them that everything that could be done had been done, and how respectful they were of the little girl's life and of the death process. Perhaps  it helps with "closure?"

That being said, it was a very depressing season ending. Especially since we don't know if we will get to see season 4 in the states. I think we got this season because of the actor/writer strike. My goodness, they killed a baby! I can't remember if it was the last episode or the one before, but two patients ended their own lives, granted, in very different ways.

• Like 3