Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E01: Part 1

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I now wonder about the Twist and Shout song, and, yes, it doesn't make sense that that particular scene kept playing over and over for days. Can you even set a DVD to replay when it ends?

On many players, you can. But what made this scene weird was that only the brief T&S segment was replaying... over and over. Almost like a record skipping.

Spooky!

• Like 3
On 1/15/2024 at 6:43 PM, Anela said:

Although someone mentioned that poor wolf was still alive, as it was gutted? 😩

Rose looked confused then looked toward the ice.  I think the wolf's spasm was Dead Ethan (?) signaling that he was there.

On 1/15/2024 at 11:41 PM, kay1864 said:

Did I see a scene (hallucination?) of a youngish guy with half of his head missing whispering a word to Danvers?

That was Navarro and a soldier on her tour of duty.

On 1/16/2024 at 4:20 PM, krankydoodle said:

I saw an article saying that Hank was Chief before Danvers. I wondered if that was the case. I may have missed it, but I don't think that was made explicit.

Liz said something about Navarro reporting to Hank before she arrived.  I assume Liz took over the top spot which is why there is friction between her and Hank.

On 1/15/2024 at 3:17 PM, catherinejane said:

I assumed Liz’s daughter was her daughter until told otherwise so now assume it’s maybe her niece but it is the child she made lunch for. Most hace missed something about her having a dead husband and son

The daughter is a step daughter.  Her father, Liz's husband, died, presumably in a drunk driving incident.  Liz had a young son (Holden) who also died.  It's not clear if dead husband was dead son's father, but I don't think Liz has been in Ennis long enough.

• Like 5
  • Useful 1
On 1/15/2024 at 2:01 PM, thuganomics85 said:

So, judging from the flashbacks, Navarro served in the military and something bad happen to a fellow solider/friend?  And it seems like Danvers has history with drunk driving, considering how infuriated she got with the driver and her conversation with her stepdaughter.  Maybe that's how her husband died?  Also, it seems Navarro and Danvers have issues that go beyond just the original case.  Something big clearly happened between them.

Yes, my assumption is that the young teen girl living with Danvers is probably her step daughter, and there is some sort of drunk driving tragedy in their recent past. I agree that there seems to be more friction between Danvers and Navarro than simply a conflict over an approach to a  past case.

As others have mentioned, I'm really not loving Navarro or finding her character's meanderings very interesting. I'm not familiar with the actress playing her, but so far she's not captivating me. I'm a bit confused by her character's familial relations as well.

I always love John Hawkes, so it was a pleasant surprise to see him turn up in this.

• Like 4

There are really no words to describe just how much I HATED that. It was just putrid. The supernatural BS doesn't belong in True Detective, the characters are horrible (with the exception of Jodie Foster), and the disgusting woman who murdered the wolf deserves to be the next victim. Nothing turns me off a show faster than gratuitous animal cruelty. The whole town needs a gigantic bomb dropped on it.

15 hours ago, Cheezwiz said:

As others have mentioned, I'm really not loving Navarro or finding her character's meanderings very interesting.

There's maybe just too much going on with her in this first episode - an awful lot of table setting to establish her life. The case she never solved that still haunts her. The brother of the victim of that case. The sister with mental health issues. The guy she sleeps with but seemingly has no emotional attachment to. Her ongoing conflict with Danvers. The drunk guy at the crab place she took down to show how tough she is. She's just all over the map. 

And yeah, it doesn't help that Jodie Foster is a much more compelling actress. Almost anyone would suffer in comparison. So whenever they cut away from Danvers to Navarro the episode downshifts. 

• Like 5

There is a reference to Dyatlov pass, all of them running outside in their underwear/pjs/etc and freezing. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyatlov_Pass_incident 
but it seems unlikely it is a direct correspondence. something got them out of there quickly, though.

It will be good if it isn’t supernatural but looks supernatural, in my opinion. I have not seen the other seasons of the show. 

i am not surprised they would watch escapist movies during down time. 

• Like 7
  • Love 1
22 minutes ago, Affogato said:

There is a reference to Dyatlov pass, all of them running outside in their underwear/pjs/etc and freezing. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyatlov_Pass_incident 
but it seems unlikely it is a direct correspondence. something got them out of there quickly, though.

It will be good if it isn’t supernatural but looks supernatural, in my opinion. I have not seen the other seasons of the show. 

i am not surprised they would watch escapist movies during down time. 

My guess is that the scientists brought up an ancient disease when drilling core samples and it infected them.

• Like 4
  • Useful 4
3 hours ago, Affogato said:

When my guilty pleasure viewing (Expedition Unknown) intersects with my prestige TV viewing, lol...yes, I immediately (and randomly) thought of this during the episode, too. 

• Like 5
  • Wink 1
  • LOL 2
8 hours ago, Gobi said:

My guess is that the scientists brought up an ancient disease when drilling core samples and it infected them.

Zombie viruses are having a moment. However (spoiler for ‘fortitude’):

Spoiler

That was what happened in ‘Fortitude’, i don’t know if they would use the same thing  in a similar show. 

It would explain the wildlife issues. 

• Like 3
On 1/15/2024 at 9:40 PM, peeayebee said:

I didn't think it was really alive. I thought it was another supernatural thing.

I'm with you. I thought it "re-animated" because the creepy guy showed up, not knowing at the time Travis was actually dead. So once I knew T was dead, the wolf howling even though it was dead, made sense.

• Like 3
On 1/17/2024 at 3:55 PM, astrohip said:

On many players, you can. But what made this scene weird was that only the brief T&S segment was replaying... over and over. Almost like a record skipping.

Spooky!

Watching the opening it looks like the guy watching the DVD goes to hit pause when he gets up. I suspect he hit the repeat button instead because he was distracted. 

I also find it interesting that there is the implication that the scientists had some kind of role in a Native woman's death. I do wonder if the isolated all male environment wouldn't be a breeding ground for aggressive behavior. There have been cases of people going off the rails in places like that. The nature of the activists murder is meant to make it seem like her death is tied to her activism but "disgust" as Navarro put it would fit with intimate partner violence as well. Or someone who was rejected and hates women for it. Maybe getting away with one murder led him to think he could do more.

Just started watching this so I’m late to the party.  The nice young cop gives me a definite vibe like Mare’s young partner in “Mare of Eastown” who ends up dead.