Type keyword(s) to search

The View: Week of 1/8/2024

• Start Topic

Monday, Jan. 8 – ABC News chief health and medical correspondent Dr. Jennifer Ashton

Tuesday, Jan. 9 – Barry Manilow (composer, Broadway’s “Harmony”)

Wednesday, Jan. 10 – Former U.S. Rep. Liz Cheney (R-Wyo.) (author, “Oath and Honor”) makes her first-ever appearance on “The View”

Thursday, Jan. 11 – Ava DuVernay (writer and director, “Origin”); LaKeith Stanfield (“The Book of Clarence”)

Friday, Jan. 12 – Annette Bening (“Nyad”)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
(edited)

Barry Manilow's been trying to get his show Harmony on Broadway for years and years.  Glad he finally did it.

I wonder if this is the first time Barry's been on the show since his well-publicized cancellation of an appearance because he didn't want to sit at the table with Elizabeth.

Edited by Gemma Violet
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1

In regards to Jo Koy, I do think there were a few things working against him.  First there was the only having ten days to prepare.  Even an experienced host would find that difficult.  Second, as funny as I find most of Jo Koy's comedy, I'm not sure he's the right type of comedian for a hosting gig.  Most of his comedy (the best bits, at least) has to do with his family, not quips about celebrities.  

That being said, as much as I enjoy her music, Taylor Swift really needs to get a sense of humor about herself.  Jo Koy saying that they'll be less footage of her from the Golden Globes than at an NFL game is not something to get upset about.  Like, lighten up.

• Like 10
  • Applause 1

I thought Koy's comment about Taylor was coming from a teasing place & she only sipped her drink.  What was she supposed to do?  Stick her tongue out at him.  My, the Swifties aren't liking it.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
5 hours ago, Medicine Crow said:

I thought Koy's comment about Taylor was coming from a teasing place & she only sipped her drink.  What was she supposed to do?  Stick her tongue out at him.  My, the Swifties aren't liking it.

I think a bigger deal is being made than needs to be.

• Like 5
11 hours ago, Medicine Crow said:

What was she supposed to do?  Stick her tongue out at him.  

Maybe a quick smirk/smile (even if it was half-hearted) to show that she has a sense of humor?

• Like 5

I was not a fan of Sunny saying "ho" over and over again yesterday. Once is bad enough.  Gender slurs? Really, Sunny? And never mentions the man.  Is this this women's show we all deserve in these trying times where women have lost their bodily autonomy? Is calling women hoes a part of her Catholic faith she is always going on about?

10 hours ago, Soapy Goddess said:

Maybe a quick smirk/smile (even if it was half-hearted) to show that she has a sense of humor?

I think a palms up shoulder shrug with head tilt would have also worked.  Or she could have leaned really hard into it and smiled while flipping him the bird.  That would have actually been hilarious.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
18 hours ago, GiveMeSpace said:

I was not a fan of Sunny saying "ho" over and over again yesterday. Once is bad enough.  Gender slurs? Really, Sunny? And never mentions the man.  Is this this women's show we all deserve in these trying times where women have lost their bodily autonomy? Is calling women hoes a part of her Catholic faith she is always going on about?

On the Behind the Table podcast Monday Sunny and Brian talked about that story and Sunny said she wouldn't want to know if her sister (or I guess any woman) had slept with her husband.  She said something about not wanting the sister to bring her problems (I guess the sister's guilt) to her and causing chaos in her life.  So Sunny, the woman so aggressively jealous she threw away a cake her husband's coworker had made for his birthday, would want to be kept in the dark if her husband cheated.  At first I didn't buy that but then I thought yep that is on brand for Sunny.  Appearances are very important to her and she wouldn't want people to think her life was anything less than perfect. She has said before Manny cheating would not cause her divorce him so not knowing would make it easier for her.

She also said she had botox during their break.  No judgement.  I just don't remember her ever saying that before.

22 hours ago, GiveMeSpace said:

And never mentions the man. 

That is a very "traditional" perspective. Blame the woman because the man is her "victim" - he can't help himself. It is all her fault. It is one reason that some people place so many restrictions on women; by existing, the woman is a source of temptation, and men can't restrain themselves. As if looking at a woman is like looking directly at the sun without eye protection. It is surprising that Sunny seems to hold this perspective, considering how she's so vocal about "accountability".

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, KittyQ said:

That is a very "traditional" perspective. Blame the woman because the man is her "victim" - he can't help himself. It is all her fault. It is one reason that some people place so many restrictions on women; by existing, the woman is a source of temptation, and men can't restrain themselves. As if looking at a woman is like looking directly at the sun without eye protection. It is surprising that Sunny seems to hold this perspective, considering how she's so vocal about "accountability".

That's probably the catholic in her coming out as it does................... a lot.

• Applause 1
52 minutes ago, KittyQ said:

Elisabeth Hasselbeck was like that.  She had to apologize to Erin Andrews for making light of a man spying on her in her hotel room through the door peep hole.  Said he could have just watched her in her skimpy outfits on DWTS. She also didn't want her husband looking at anything like Playboy.  

If Manny cheated Sunny would 100% blame the woman.  Years ago I was in a store on a Sunday and saw a male coworker. I said hello to him and his wife, who I had never met, was walking ahead of him whipped her head around so fast I thought it was going to fly off her shoulders.  That would be Sunny if a woman she didn't know spoke to Manny.

• Like 1

I thought the interview with Liz Cheney was good, everyone had good questions,  I appreciated that Alyssa thanked Liz for supporting her & the other young women who testified before the Jan 6 Committee.  I am not a fan of many of Liz's positions, but she gets my support in her warning to what will happen to our country when the Constitiution is not followed.  

• Like 15
  • Applause 6

I am pleased that Liz Cheney was present for three segments. I have been wanting her at the table ever since the January 6 committee.

Unfortunately, there was a rough start when Whoopi revealed that Whoopi had sent a video request to Liz requesting Liz’s appearance on the show. Liz then said that she didn’t think we were supposed to discuss that.

So. I know that politicians and celebrities have some taboo topics that are not to be discussed during their interviews. If this was one of them, shame on Whoopi.

• Like 6
3 hours ago, Glitches said:

I am pleased that Liz Cheney was present for three segments. I have been wanting her at the table ever since the January 6 committee.

Unfortunately, there was a rough start when Whoopi revealed that Whoopi had sent a video request to Liz requesting Liz’s appearance on the show. Liz then said that she didn’t think we were supposed to discuss that.

So. I know that politicians and celebrities have some taboo topics that are not to be discussed during their interviews. If this was one of them, shame on Whoopi.

It was four segments.

"Shame on Whoopi?" Whoopi merely revealed her unconventional way of reaching out to a prospective guest. There is nothing shameful there. Liz probably thought Whoopi would be embarrassed if it was brought up, but Liz was there. It worked. It would have been embarrassing to admit if it didn't work.

• Like 5

Interesting that Sunny likes to go out non-stop, every night.  Maybe an exaggeration on her part. It comes across as kind of sad/pathetic in a way.  It looks like a lot of these outings are without her husband.  She admits to being very jealous.  I guess he doesn't mind?

While on the subject of Sunny, I find her multiple earrings, or whatever they are called, distracting. It's like both ears are full of diamonds.  How does she put them on?  They look like something you would see in a sci-fi movie.

• Like 3
(edited)
3 hours ago, debbie311 said:

While on the subject of Sunny, I find her multiple earrings, or whatever they are called, distracting. It's like both ears are full of diamonds.  How does she put them on?  They look like something you would see in a sci-fi movie.

She bedazzled her earpiece, so that's part of the extra bling.

Holy moly, was Sunny attacked by Limu Emu this morning?

Edited by Haleth
  • Like 1
  • Mind Blown 1
  • LOL 5
15 hours ago, mispickel said:
19 hours ago, Glitches said:

Expand  

It was four segments.

"Shame on Whoopi?" Whoopi merely revealed her unconventional way of reaching out to a prospective guest. There is nothing shameful there. Liz probably thought Whoopi would be embarrassed if it was brought up, but Liz was there. It worked. It would have been embarrassing to admit if it didn't work.

I humbly concede your points. It may have been Whoopi or the show producers that did not want to discuss the means by which the interview was agreed upon. Regardless, if the topic was not to have been discussed, then the topic should not have been brought to the table. 

• Like 2

Having to watch it a day later on Hulu.

WTF is Sarah wearing????????????????? it looks like she has been put in some sort of solid cardboard sack & it's been pulled tight so that she can't move. Awful outfit whatever it's supposed to be. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Shrek said:

WTF is Sarah wearing????????????????? it looks like she has been put in some sort of solid cardboard sack & it's been pulled tight so that she can't move. Awful outfit whatever it's supposed to be. 

Take a look at Sunny's top on Thursday.

• LOL 2
1 hour ago, Shrek said:

I know!  It was like a button down shirt with a tight brown strapless dress over it.  Just weird! And looked so uncomfortable.

And I agree with the above comment re Sunny's outfit today!   OMG!  She looks like some kind of animal or bird or something - and the color blends with her hair, I don't even know how to describe it.

Do they have any say in what they wear or are they at the mercy of the stylist?

• LOL 3
13 hours ago, Haleth said:

She bedazzled her earpiece, so that's part of the extra bling.

This fascinates me (in a negative way?)

9 hours ago, Shrek said:

Is this the case for Hulu Live? I've been considering switching to Hulu Live but I'm not sure I like the idea of watching my shows a day late.

(edited)
11 hours ago, Blissfool said:

Is this the case for Hulu Live? I've been considering switching to Hulu Live but I'm not sure I like the idea of watching my shows a day late.

We don't have Hulu live just the poor mans version so I doubt it's the same as live is supposedly showing live tv. 

I'm having to watch it on Hulu a day late because my local AT&T is still in dispute with Tegna & ABC is off air for us & has been for 6 weeks now.

Edited by Shrek
  • Thanks 1
21 hours ago, js9548 said:

Take a look at Sunny's top on Thursday.

She looks like she was attacked by a mass of tumbleweed on her way to work.

And she can Fk right off with the "I'm trying to say something but I keep getting interrupted" shit when she does it herself 2 minutes later when Sarah is (trying to) say something.

• Like 4
  • LOL 3
5 hours ago, Haleth said:

I could not love Annette Benning any more. Her movie is not something I’d normally look for but both Annette and Jodie?  I’m in. 

I watched with much pleasure--love the actresses and a pleasant story. 

• Like 3
5 hours ago, Haleth said:

I could not love Annette Benning any more. Her movie is not something I’d normally look for but both Annette and Jodie?  I’m in. 

I’m looking forward to it.

So both Sunny and Sarah were dressed in notable (questionable?) fashions this week, but on Friday it was Ana, whose left arm was enclosed in a weirdly attached sleeve. She seemed reluctant to even move that arm. Does anyone remember the Cosby episode when Denise made Theo a shirt? Some designer must have been inspired, because Sunny and now Ana have worn similar oddities.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Sue in her 60s said:

So both Sunny and Sarah were dressed in notable (questionable?) fashions this week, but on Friday it was Ana, whose left arm was enclosed in a weirdly attached sleeve. She seemed reluctant to even move that arm. Does anyone remember the Cosby episode when Denise made Theo a shirt? Some designer must have been inspired, because Sunny and now Ana have worn similar oddities.

Two things: Yes, I remember that Cosby episode!  That brings me back! And secondly, I much rather snark on Sunny, Sarah and Anna's fashion choices than see the SAME DAMN thing on Whoopi every week...

• Like 1
  • LOL 2
On 1/14/2024 at 1:56 PM, HerkyJerky said:

Two things: Yes, I remember that Cosby episode!  That brings me back! And secondly, I much rather snark on Sunny, Sarah and Anna's fashion choices than see the SAME DAMN thing on Whoopi every week...

I think Whoopi dresses for comfort and for the literal visual messages she often chooses to include. She said once that she likes to wear white shirts because she wore them as a girl in school - of course now, on the show, with other loose shirts or jackets over them.

• Like 1