Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E04: The Diamond Feather

• Start Topic

Things are going well for Eliza until a familiar face shows up to question her role at Nash & Sons. Meanwhile, Duke receives an offer that brings their relationship to a crisis point.

PBS makes the complete season available on Passport beginning on 1/7. Discussion in this thread may contain plot information pertaining to the episode before it airs on PBS.  Do not use spoiler tags.  

WTF??

I thought Stuart Martin being absent for several episodes last season was a blip for some personal reason. But now it’s a regular occurrence? Or did they just write off one of the title characters? What is going on?

Welp, my interest in the rest of the season/series just plummeted like a rock to be honest. I was already missing Moses. Nash is an extremely poor substitute for either. 

I am not happy.

• Like 4

Welp, my interest in the rest of the season/series just plummeted like a rock to be honest. I was already missing Moses. Nash is an extremely poor substitute for either. 

I don't think there is any danger of Stuart Martin going away forever.  I was kind of glad they did something to move their relationship from the sort of constipated place where it had been stuck for so long.

Although the character of Nash is not charming, or handsome, or possessing a mysterious accent, he does seem to accept Eliza as a whole person, woman and detective.  Maybe it is because I am old, but that can be pretty damn attractive, at least IRL.  Having said that, the show writers will probably make him gay.

• Like 8
  • Applause 1
2 hours ago, Mermaid Under said:

Although the character of Nash is not charming, or handsome, or possessing a mysterious accent, he does seem to accept Eliza as a whole person, woman and detective.  Maybe it is because I am old, but that can be pretty damn attractive, at least IRL.  Having said that, the show writers will probably make him gay.

I have to admit, there is a certain something that I find attractive. 

• Like 9
1 hour ago, libgirl2 said:

I have to admit, there is a certain something that I find attractive. 

I like Nash more than the Duke.  He seems to like ALL of Eliza, as she is.  Wellington, to me, seems as frustrated as enamored.

• Like 9

Ok, so I'm "old" also and I think there is more chemistry between Eliza and Nash than between her and "The Duke".   There is something very attractive about a man who respects her intelligence and skill as an investigator enough to allow her to head up his main office.  And I happen to think that Nash is a very good-looking man.  And the way he and Eliza bicker back and forth, they're already like a long married couple.  

My guess is that Wellington is going to not get on that ship to New York as this isn't the last episode of the season.   Seems like another fake-out cliff hanger to me.  

• Like 12
15 minutes ago, 12catcrazy said:

Ok, so I'm "old" also and I think there is more chemistry between Eliza and Nash than between her and "The Duke".   There is something very attractive about a man who respects her intelligence and skill as an investigator enough to allow her to head up his main office.  And I happen to think that Nash is a very good-looking man.  And the way he and Eliza bicker back and forth, they're already like a long married couple.  

My guess is that Wellington is going to not get on that ship to New York as this isn't the last episode of the season.   Seems like another fake-out cliff hanger to me.  

Yea, I'm "old" as well. While I find Wellington very attractive, I certainly appreciate Nash and I like how he works with Eliza. They feel more of a partnership than she has with "The Duke". He appreciates her and he trusted her enough to leave her in charge. 

• Like 9
4 hours ago, Mermaid Under said:

Stuart Martin was born in Ayr, Scotland.  That's his normal Scottish accent.

And Patrick is not gay.  He was putting the moves on Eliza last season in the hotel in France.

• Like 2
  • Useful 2
3 minutes ago, Orcinus orca said:

Stuart Martin was born in Ayr, Scotland.  That's his normal Scottish accent.

And Patrick is not gay.  He was putting the moves on Eliza last season in the hotel in France.

That's right! 

• Like 1

I find Nash very attractive and I like his relationship with Eliza.  As for William and Eliza, this was the most honest episode the show has had in regard to their relationship.  Instead of the will they, won't they tepid aspect they've been dithering with, something actually happened.  I'm sure William is not gone.   

• Like 6

William said something needs to change, but I'm wondering what he expects will change by him moving to NY. Does he think Eliza will miss him so much that she decides to quit her job and become a housewife? Because that's not going to happen. I understand that him working at Scotland Yard and her being a private detective is not working out and hurting their relationship, but by moving to a different country, he basically ended their relationship. It would be nice if he could work at Nash's too, but I don't see him enjoying that. He and Eliza would have to be equals there, and we've seen that William has issues with working with Eliza.

Maybe he thinks a change of scenery will help him get some clarity and figure out what he truly wants. Right now, the only way I see them ending up together is if William changes his mindset.

As much as I love William and Eliza together, I agree with everyone else who has said that Eliza and Nash seem to make a good pair. Maybe part of that is due to the William and Eliza relationship becoming a bit stale and old. They don't interact as much as they used to, and their storylines together aren't as fun and playful as in earlier seasons.

Also, although that kiss was tender, was anyone else a little disappointed with it?

• Like 3

There is something pretty adorable about William all adorably grumpy about Fitz showing up to visit every day and how he's going to get fat with all of this food. Overall I really liked this episode, a decent amount of twists and everything came together in the end, and while its hair pullingly frustrating to see William decide he has to leave for a year, at least their relationship is finally moving. I am not sure that he's actually going to get on that boat or if there will be a time jump next season while he and Eliza figure themselves out across the ocean, but at least someone finally made a move. 

I like Nash, he's handsome in a very Victorian kind of way, he and Eliza have good chemistry, he really respects her intelligence, I can see them being good together. However, I tend to think that they would be one of those "a little too similar" couples, like how Arabella was seemingly exactly the kind of woman William wanted to be with but it didn't work out because he was in love with Eliza. 

I almost said that Nash was handsome but a lot older than me, but then I remembered that William is three years younger than me, so for all I know, Nash is 23. 

• Like 2

I know many of you think William doesn't think Eliza should be a PI because she's a woman, but I don't really see it that way.  I just thought he, like all cops in these shows, don't think PI's should be interfering in police business.  He actually seems to think she very smart and a good PI.  If anything, he's worried she'll get hurt somehow, because he loves her.

Yes, he entertained the thought of a "traditional" relationship with Annabelle(?), but I never thought that was serious.  I actually thought he was somewhat uncomfortable and bored when he was with her.

I'm also glad he told her he loved her before/if he left.  Most shows would have him leave without telling her, then she would pursue someone else (and I don't like her with Nash as more than a friend), he would come back and it would just be another soap opera.  

• Like 3
16 hours ago, Johannah said:

I know many of you think William doesn't think Eliza should be a PI because she's a woman, but I don't really see it that way.  I just thought he, like all cops in these shows, don't think PI's should be interfering in police business.  He actually seems to think she very smart and a good PI.  If anything, he's worried she'll get hurt somehow, because he loves her.

I think it's more than just him thinking that PIs shouldn't interfere.  Henry Scarlet was a PI who presumably worked with William many times, and I don't think William would have felt the same way towards Henry as a PI as he does towards Eliza as a PI.  He also doesn't seem to have any issues with Nash being a PI.  I think it's a combination of her being a woman, her being a PI, her being in danger, and his feelings towards her. 

• Like 4
  • Applause 2
On 1/28/2024 at 4:31 PM, Souris said:

WTF??

I thought Stuart Martin being absent for several episodes last season was a blip for some personal reason. But now it’s a regular occurrence? Or did they just write off one of the title characters? What is going on?

I am not happy.

I was going to ask the same thing!

Did they change the name of the show? Cuz how can it be Miss Scarlett and THE DUKE without the Duke??? I ask? Is the actor not available?

Nash is a smarmy dude. he and Eliza have zero chemistry.

• Like 3