Type keyword(s) to search

S39.E05: Countdown to Chaos

shantown
  • Start Topic

Chaos has entered the room! The game is flipped upside down as Contenders learn they will have to face Challenge Champions in the Arena. Confusion takes over as one Contender worries that a member of her own alliance is after her.

Airs 11/15 at 8pm on MTV

I didn’t care for the elimination game, but I’m glad to see Jordan come in and fuck shit up.

if I had to guess why Jordan would wait there by a light and push it at the last second when Ciarran comes is that he was trying to stall, waste as much time as possible to run out the clock while he’s in the lead.

• Like 3

The Daily was random.  Maybe if they got a chance to run it a couple of times, they could develop a strategy.

Asaf talked too much.  He claimed to be Cory’s best friend and Cory said “I met you two weeks ago.”

For the elimination, Cierran didn’t anticipate the strategy after winning the first round.  He thought it would all be about speed and reactions but it could be strategic and getting physical.

He had some unearned confidence before going into this, his first elimination.

I also suspect that he was told what the game would be and he had a chance to game plan.  In fact all these champions may get to choose games which favor them or decline something like Pole Wrestle if they don’t want to play certain games.

• Like 2

So the vets are just going to parachute in and steal money, that’s funny.

Michelle is chaotic herself, but she had a point.  Just because TJ says one thing, that doesn’t mean that more might not be added.  Although I guess they would have all been told to dress to compete before going to the arena if there was a chance someone else might go in.

• Like 2

As a longtime watcher (and fan, I admit it) I really enjoyed the elimination. It was almost fan service to us old timers that have been here a while, yelling at these kids to get off our lawn. 

I find Jordan insufferable at times, but he laid it on with a trowel tonight and I laughed. I do feel a bit bad for Ciarran, mainly in the way post-production offered him up as the sacrifice. But the whole bit really sold the champs hard. 

• Like 7

I didn't think I heard TJ say that Cory and Ravyn should choose one man for elimination the first time (maybe he did and I didn't catch it), so right up until the arena where he did specify and called Asaf down, I was hoping that (Chaos!) it would give Asaf some extra power or immunity or something.  But they sure like people pulling things out in the Draw, so oh well.  

Less time on lovey dovey smoochy woochy stuff, so that was good.  I mean, it's okay, but they just have too much of it sometimes.

The cast has come out and questioned the edit of the elimination. Made it seem like production changed the rules after Jordan lost the first two rounds(it was best of 5, not 3). Supposedly the lights went from automated to manually lit after there was a malfunction. Ciarran claims that he was also waiting at a lit up light to drain the time down, but the producers would shut it off quicker for him. They all say Jordan won, but question the way it was edited and how it was portrayed. 

• Useful 5
4 minutes ago, ImpinAintEasy said:

The cast has come out and questioned the edit of the elimination. Made it seem like production changed the rules after Jordan lost the first two rounds(it was best of 5, not 3). Supposedly the lights went from automated to manually lit after there was a malfunction. Ciarran claims that he was also waiting at a lit up light to drain the time down, but the producers would shut it off quicker for him. They all say Jordan won, but question the way it was edited and how it was portrayed. 

They have incentives to make the vets look good.  If they're beaten by these young pups, then it puts into question this whole chaos thing and the way they've been promoting this season with the "legends" coming back or whatever.

Again, I still would not put it past them to tel the vets what elimination game they're going to play or let them decline certain things like hall brawl for instance.

• Like 1
55 minutes ago, ImpinAintEasy said:

Not the first time. I'm not shocked that the edit as we see it on the episode is not the way it actually happened.

They used to post the uncut GoPro footage that the Challengers wear on their helmets and/or on their chests onto Youtube. They should have continued uploading that footage to Youtube.

Ciarran says it was elimination was 5 rounds, even though the edit says 3 rounds. Ciarran says on one of his exit interviews that Jordan won the first round, even though the episode has Ciarran winning the first round. From the way Ciarran explains it, Jordan wins the first round and Ciarran wins the next two rounds. Each round was one minute.

Edited by AntFTW

Is it weird that I find Survivor to be a drag, yet I'll still watch that over this show?

Putting aside any production shenanigans, I wasn't feeling this episode. Stupid question: how can the players put money in the pot? The mission was interesting, but I felt there could have been transparency as to how Teege selected the duos.

I think Corey and Rayvn were given too much power. Even with the Draw, it still felt like whiplash to see Asaf sent into elimination. It didn't help that Asaf immediately started bitching about how Corey betrayed him. Dude, it's The Challenge. If you're not thinking of stabbing someone in the back, you're not playing the game. Another downside: watching Michele-with-one-L get paranoid about going into elimination because Asaf was her partner in the mission.

Who was Ciarran? To me, he was just another guy with a neck tattoo. I'm not surprised that Jordan outsmarted him. I'm also not surprised that the editing suggested it was more of a blowout than it may have been. It's BMP. What else can you expect?

Emmanuel . . . shut up, you off-brand Jordan. Even with suspect editing, Jordan still has GOAT credentials. You're just smart enough to have ditched the "I'm a vampire" bullshit.

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

I wouldn't be shocked if production edited the footage, but I also wouldn't be shocked if Jordan just absolutely decimated Ciarann, because it's Jordan. Putting athletics aside, he has always been one of the best if not the best at figuring out the logistics of how to win something. 

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
On 11/16/2023 at 8:24 AM, AncientNewbie said:

As a longtime watcher (and fan, I admit it) I really enjoyed the elimination. It was almost fan service to us old timers that have been here a while, yelling at these kids to get off our lawn. 

I find Jordan insufferable at times, but he laid it on with a trowel tonight and I laughed.

On 11/16/2023 at 8:17 AM, mojoween said:

So the vets are just going to parachute in and steal money, that’s funny.

On 11/15/2023 at 10:27 PM, AntFTW said:

I didn’t care for the elimination game, but I’m glad to see Jordan come in and fuck shit up.

I loved it. I particularly loved how demoralized they all got when they realized that Jordan was about to win and take the money they (barely) earned. A lot of them are pretty insufferable, so the schadenfreud was great. And who better to break their spirits than Jordan.

But also, why was Ciarran BAWLING?!?!?! He looked like a tattooed second grader.

On 11/15/2023 at 10:27 PM, AntFTW said:

if I had to guess why Jordan would wait there by a light and push it at the last second when Ciarran comes is that he was trying to stall, waste as much time as possible to run out the clock while he’s in the lead.

I think it was also to get Ciarran moving in the wrong direction when the next light got activated on the other side, forcing him to have to reverse while adjusting for full momentum in the opposite way. 

On 11/16/2023 at 8:17 AM, mojoween said:

Michelle is chaotic herself, but she had a point.  Just because TJ says one thing, that doesn’t mean that more might not be added.  Although I guess they would have all been told to dress to compete before going to the arena if there was a chance someone else might go in.

I would be so happy if Michelle was nominated and chosen for the next elimination. She just would not shut up about people putting her in danger, all the while she's been voting for everyone and she didn't care how that would put them at risk. 

• Like 2

I'm not surprised Jordan won.  I would expect that.  But I'm also not surprised the light "malfunctioned" after he lost a few rounds and then suddenly he was up again.  Not suspicious at all.  Nope.  Nothing to see here...

• Like 1
53 minutes ago, luckyroll3 said:

But also, why was Ciarran BAWLING?!?!?! He looked like a tattooed second grader.

Not gonna lie… I laughed.

I thought Ciarran crying his eyes out was HILARIOUS!!! 😂 

Separately, why was Emanuel acting salty? Why did he turn his back while Jordan was talking? 

8 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

Putting aside any production shenanigans, I wasn't feeling this episode. Stupid question: how can the players put money in the pot?

They have to win the daily challenges to add money to the prize pot. However, I noticed that this time they were playing for safety, and not to add money to the prize pot. I guessing since they went into the “Chaos” portion of the game, they’re playing for safety now.

2 hours ago, bunnyface said:

I'm not surprised Jordan won.  I would expect that.  But I'm also not surprised the light "malfunctioned" after he lost a few rounds and then suddenly he was up again.  Not suspicious at all.  Nope.  Nothing to see here...

If the producers helped Jordan, made him look good, I'd be highly annoyed when he was bragging and chirping on his talking heads like he was so much better than these wannabe champions, how it's HIS game and how they have to PROVE it to HIM, yada, yada, yada.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, AntFTW said:

Separately, why was Emanuel acting salty? Why did he turn his back while Jordan was talking? 

Didn't he hook-up w/ Tori a couple seasons ago?  Wonder if he feels a certain way about Jordan based on that...not sure if Jordan ever put anything out on social media about that hook-up.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Duke Silver said:

Didn't he hook-up w/ Tori a couple seasons ago?

I was thinking that but I feel like both Jordan and Emanuel have gotten past their separate histories with Tori that it couldn’t be that… but that’s where my mind went first.

Edited by AntFTW

Speaking of which weren't Jordan and Nurys suppose to be a thing or was that just a showmance?

Then Nurys lap danced for Horacio and Jay said Horacio better watch out, she's a party girl or something.

Sometimes it seems like they're playing up potential hookups for the cameras but then there are hookups only shown on social media.  But a lot of viewers aren't following the social media of these cast members so what's the point?

I guess if some event blows up on social media involving the cast, then it's a bonanza for Bunim-Murray to have those cast members on the season.

I wonder what will happen if the champion pulls the 3rd rod that has the name of neither challenger who was voted in. I wonder if the winner of the daily challenge goes in since “to be the best, you have to beat the best”. Or does the champ get to pick their choice of any challenger? Or do the two voted in go against each other? Or some other possibility?

Asaf looks like Stephen Colletti with a wig on. I’ve been trying to figure it out all season and it finally hit me. 

• Useful 1
On 11/18/2023 at 8:10 PM, UGAmp said:

Asaf looks like Stephen Colletti with a wig on. I’ve been trying to figure it out all season and it finally hit me. 

Oh my goodness! I've been trying to figure this out all season. They're twins.

• Like 1

It wasn't until the next episode's flashbacks that I remembered noticing how very proud the camerafolk/editors/stagers were that they had decorated the on-site "club" with those circular wall mirrors so they could catch angles of Corey and Michele arguing with one person reflected in the mirror.  Ooh artistic.  heh.

Five episodes in and we finally get 10 minutes of something that resembles the real Challenge.

This season blows.   I don't care about these players, it doesn't interest me in the least when they argue, I don't give a hoot who stays or who goes home.  I can't even be bothered to learn their names.  What was BMP thinking?  Did they learn NOTHING from Challenge USA Season 1?

Is Michelle now a co-host?  That's how it seems based on the amount of camera time she gets.

Also the way the show builds in vet name-drops and flashbacks isn't the special sauce they think it is.   It's more like being taunted by someone who's holding out on you.

The premise is that these are all challengers who've never won, are not rookies, so they excluded the vets who've won.

But why didn't they let Cory and some other vets who've never won it compete this season so he could have a better chance to finally win?

They probably wanted to boost younger cast members, as older ones maybe retire.

1 hour ago, millennium said:

What was BMP thinking?  Did they learn NOTHING from Challenge USA Season 1?

No, they did not!

I'm speculating that they did the double episodes before this one to speed up to the champs coming in.

• Like 1