Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E10: Reindeer Games

Athena
  • Start Topic

On Christmas Eve, Freddy stretches himself to be there for Frasier, who's coping with Martin's death by throwing a lavish party, and Eve, who's hiding out at home dealing with her own loss.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Awwwwwww, that was a nice ending. 

"I miss you, Dad" got to me. I liked seeing the Santa decoration out again, that was a sweet touch. 

Always great to see Roz - I wish she'd been in the episode longer, but her talk with Frasier over drinks was nice. I loved the look on her face when Frasier mentioned Eve's baby, it was the perfect "affectionately exasperated" reaction for someone who's known Frasier for years :D.

(Also, her comment about Alice dating a guy for four years made me feel SUPER old. But it was nice to get a mention of her, and a nod to Frasier keeping in touch with Niles, and the mention of Ronee early on as well.)

David and Alan's little running gag game was cute. I like them interacting, they're got a weird sort of fun about them. 

And Olivia and one of Freddie's friends sharing a kiss! Aw. 

Nice way to end this season. It's been fun. If we get a season 2, I'm in. 

• Like 9
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, Annber03 said:

Awwwwwww, that was a nice ending. 

"I miss you, Dad" got to me. I liked seeing the Santa decoration out again, that was a sweet touch. 

Always great to see Roz - I wish she'd been in the episode longer, but her talk with Frasier over drinks was nice. I loved the look on her face when Frasier mentioned Eve's baby, it was the perfect "affectionately exasperated" reaction for someone who's known Frasier for years :D.

(Also, her comment about Alice dating a guy for four years made me feel SUPER old. But it was nice to get a mention of her, and a nod to Frasier keeping in touch with Niles, and the mention of Ronee early on as well.)

David and Alan's little running gag game was cute. I like them interacting, they're got a weird sort of fun about them. 

And Olivia and one of Freddie's friends sharing a kiss! Aw. 

Nice way to end this season. It's been fun. If we get a season 2, I'm in. 

You said exactly what I was going to say.  It was a great last episode.  I really hope they go for a second season and more episodes.  Any one guess how long it will take?

• Like 6
10 hours ago, Annber03 said:

I liked seeing the Santa decoration out again, that was a sweet touch. 

That was nice.  I recently watched one of the Christmas episodes of the original Frasier series, and Martin had Frasier's apartment decked out in every Christmas decoration imaginable! He dressed Eddie up and tried to take him for a walk, but he sat down and wouldn't budge until Martin took off the hat and little coat!   

It was great to see Roz again.  I hope she'll be making some more guest appearances and that she'll have more screen time.  

• Like 7

I'm glad this was the last episode so I don't have to think anymore about whether I can continue to watch after learning last week of Kelsey Grammer's allegiances. 
I supposed that's behind the reason DHP might not be involved. 
And perhaps  other white, youthful, male, more talented actors turned down the roles of Freddy and David because of the potential negative association.
The line deliveries by Jack Cutmore-Scott (Freddy) and Anders Keith (David) were wooden to the end. 

The writing was good. 
Best punchline:
"I can't see the florist for the trees"
punctuated by the audience literally not being able to see the florist for the trees.

The best moments were the real life emotions of grief displayed by KG as Frasier and Peri Gilpin as Roz for “Martin” (John Mahoney).

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

Not that it was a super-surprise to us that Roz showed up (I have, after all, watched TV before), but I wonder why she was shown in the thumbnail for the episode. I would think that she was supposed to be at least somewhat of a reveal, considering that she was a surprise for Frasier. 

I cried a little too as soon as I saw the Santa. 

• Like 5

Nope. Don't care about Roz. I never liked his Seattle supporting cast and the shrew was the worst of them.

What I wanted to see was Sam, Cliff, Carla or Norma (Harrelson is too big for this now) walk through the door. Didn't matter if I got just one of them though all of them would have been lovely. You can't tell me the barflies have anything going for them on Christmas Eve that they couldn't make it.

For some reason the show won't even use the word CHEERS...just saying a certain bar. Just think how better that scene with Roz would have been if he suggested they have a drink that he would take her down to a great bar in the commons called CHEERS. You wouldn't even have to have them actually make it there. The scene between the two of them could have been in a car on the way to CHEERS and they turn around and head back to his townhouse.

No second season is guaranteed so if they squandered CHEERS cast cameos that will be a shame. It's kind of ridiculous he'll mention everyone from FRAISER but not a word about the CHEERS gang when he's now in BOSTON. Not even when Lilith guest-starred did it come up.

Anyway, enough of that. I do hope there is a second season and I do hope they can actually stick to their guns and not do a Freddie and Eve romance. It's refreshing that two good-looking people can actually be friends without resorting to a will they or won't they romance. Been there done that.

• Mind Blown 1
20 minutes ago, North of Eden said:

The scene between the two of them could have been in a car on the way to CHEERS and they turn around and head back to his townhouse.

Doesn't Sam eventually close the bar?  I'm rewatching the series, and we're close to the end of the show, but I can't quite remember how it ended.  I think he closes it.  I'm not sure why Frasier can't at least say the word 'Cheers' though. 

22 minutes ago, North of Eden said:

Anyway, enough of that. I do hope there is a second season and I do hope they can actually stick to their guns and not do a Freddie and Eve romance. It's refreshing that two good-looking people can actually be friends without resorting to a will they or won't they romance. Been there done that.

Me too.  Much like Sam & Diane (Cheers) and Rachel & Ross (Friends), I loathe those storylines because they drag on and on and on......

11 minutes ago, Chit Chat said:

Doesn't Sam eventually close the bar?  I'm rewatching the series, and we're close to the end of the show, but I can't quite remember how it ended.  I think he closes it.  I'm not sure why Frasier can't at least say the word 'Cheers' though. 

Me too.  Much like Sam & Diane (Cheers) and Rachel & Ross (Friends), I loathe those storylines because they drag on and on and on......

It was still open as late as the episode where Frasier and fami!y went to Cliffs retirement party in a Frasier episode but the bar was not seen because Sam booked it for a red socks reunion and that explained why neither were shown in the episode.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, North of Eden said:

It was still open as late as the episode where Frasier and fami!y went to Cliffs retirement party in a Frasier episode but the bar was not seen because Sam booked it for a red socks reunion and that explained why neither were shown in the episode.

Thanks for the reminder!  It would be nice if there's an eventual nod to Cheers, and/or if some of that cast will make an appearance.  I think that Frasier would have to end up at Cheers.  I don't think any of them would go looking for him, and they probably wouldn't know that he's living in Boston again.  Maybe Frasier's building is on Cliff's route, and they could bump into each other sometime (assuming Cliff hasn't retired or been promoted!)

Edited by Chit Chat
  • Like 2
21 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I'm glad this was the last episode so I don't have to think anymore about whether I can continue to watch after learning last week of Kelsey Grammer's allegiances. 
I supposed that's behind the reason DHP might not be involved. 
And perhaps  other white, youthful, male, more talented actors turned down the roles of Freddy and David because of the potential negative association.
The line deliveries by Jack Cutmore-Scott (Freddy) and Anders Keith (David) were wooden to the end. 

The writing was good. 
Best punchline:
punctuated by the audience literally not being able to see the florist for the trees.

The best moments were the real life emotions of grief displayed by KG as Frasier and Peri Gilpin as Roz for “Martin” (John Mahoney).

You've pretty much said everything I wanted to say here.   I had that same thought about why DHP is not involved.  Interesting, huh?  Besides he looks like he's having the time of his life playing Paul on "Julia".  I didn't think about the other actors being there because maybe better ones turned down the roles.  Interesting thought!  I am continuing to watch because I'm too invested in  the original "Frasier" not to - I'm already overlooking the rough bits such as the actor that plays David.  I did find Freddie much more tolerable in this episode and hope that's a trend.  

I think this and the episode with Lilith were the best of the season and the writing was stellar, more like the original show.  I'm wondering if that's no coincidence.  Perhaps even the writers are more at their best when they are given great characters to write for.  I hope we see more of Roz and other OG characters in any possible future season.

I too was touched at the obvious realism of the grief expressed by Peri and KG for Martin.  And of course it was not lost on me that the bar they were sitting in was called "Mahoney's".  

• Like 2
19 hours ago, Chit Chat said:

Thanks for the reminder!  It would be nice if there's an eventual nod to Cheers, and/or if some of that cast will make an appearance.  I think that Frasier would have to end up at Cheers.  I don't think any of them would go looking for him, and they probably wouldn't know that he's living in Boston again.  Maybe Frasier's building is on Cliff's route, and they could bump into each other sometime (assuming Cliff hasn't retired or been promoted!)

Wasn’t there an episode that included Cliff’s retirement years ago?

2 minutes ago, AstridM said:

Wasn’t there an episode that included Cliff’s retirement years ago?

You're right!  It takes a while to jog my memory! IIRC, he was going to move to Florida, but everybody started talking about how they'd miss him (they weren't serious), and he changed his mind.  Frasier & his family were at the party.  That's all I remember!

6 hours ago, Yeah No said:

I am continuing to watch because I'm too invested in the original "Frasier" not to 

I feel the same way.  Most new series take a while to find their footing, so I'll continue to watch even when some episodes aren't so good to me.

• Like 4

I caught up so I could watch the finale with Roz, and it was a bit of a waiting game for two scenes.  

The rest of the episode was fine.  Not strong, but it had a few amusing moments. 

I was a bit annoyed at Freddie bringing stuff over from Frasier's party to Eve's, though I know I should feel badly for her.

I did feel sad at the scenes where Frasier was holding his dad's dancing Santa, though.

The unintentionally funniest part was how the bows weren't even touching the instruments when those kids were "playing".  I'm pretty sure Frasier could have kept his guests if he had just played music on a stereo instead.

Overall, I could take or leave another season.  The cast and the writing aren't horrible, but not really enough to tune in for.  Frasier is still Frasier, but there's nowhere interesting for the character to go, especially in this mostly uninspired sandbox.  It's not worth it just to wait for a cameo here or there.  

Edited by Camera One
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
On 12/9/2023 at 6:33 AM, shapeshifter said:

The writing was good. 
Best punchline:

I legit guffawed with this line.

The writing really was on fire this episode.  Another good one was 'My goose is not cooked!"

I also enjoy that circumstances continue to validate the  Dean thinking Frasier is a hard drinker.  LOL.

Peri Gilpin looks fantastic!

Good episode.

• Like 7
22 hours ago, DearEvette said:

I legit guffawed with this line.

The writing really was on fire this episode.  Another good one was 'My goose is not cooked!"

I also enjoy that circumstances continue to validate the  Dean thinking Frasier is a hard drinker.  LOL.

Peri Gilpin looks fantastic!

Good episode.

And Frasier's familiar whiny voice and facial expression saying 'my goose is not cooked' took it over the top!

Yes, Peri looked fabulous!

• Like 4