Type keyword(s) to search

The View: Week of 10/23/2023

falltime
  • Start Topic

Monday, Oct. 23 – Uma Thurman joined by Akilah King (Room to Grow)

Tuesday, Oct. 24 – John Stamos (author, “If You Would Have Told Me”); Officer Harry Dunn (author, “Standing My Ground”)

Wednesday, Oct. 25 – Morgan Freeman (docu-series, “Life on Our Planet”)

Thursday, Oct. 26 – Sally Mueller and Michelle Jacobs (co-founders, Womaness)

Friday, Oct. 27 – Keegan-Michael Key and Elle Key (authors, “The History of Sketch Comedy”)

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, GiveMeSpace said:

Let me be the first to say Whoopi can go fuck herself with her trash take on abusive bosses. At least she is consistent with her defense of shitty people. 

Her solution to being abused at work is to find another job?  How about making the abuser accountable?  (I know, in the real world that’s not always possible.)

• Like 8

I can't recall who said it but does anyone think that no one told Sheila Jackson Lee on their way out that they were leaving because of her behavior. Granted that a lot of people won't "burn bridges" when they leave because they may need some kind of reference in the future, but there are always a few folks who really don't care and will tell their boss off. At the minimum, there's usually an exit interview or form where the employee can complain in more polite terms. 

2 hours ago, geekburger said:

Ana and Alyssa really just don’t mesh do they? Or is it just an Ana thing cause whenever she goes on a tangent, I sense the table shift.

I agree.  I also noticed that when Sunny was talking about how reading Jada's book changed her opinion, Ana really went off and wow, if looks could kill, Sunny looked very pissed at her as they went to commercial.  I've heard all I want to hear about Jada and Will too, but I think in this case Ana was rude, Sunny does have the right to express her opinion.  I like Ana but I sense that she is extremely opinionated and tends to be a bit of a bully in the table talk. Raises voice and continues talking non-stop. I know someone like that in real life and believe me, they are draining to be around.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, debbie311 said:

I also noticed that when Sunny was talking about how reading Jada's book changed her opinion,

I also read Jada's book and while I won't say it changed my opinion of her it made me think Will is even a bigger ass.  And funny enough when I read his book last year it made me have a more negative opinion of Jada. 

• Like 1
7 hours ago, bluegirl147 said:

I also read Jada's book and while I won't say it changed my opinion of her it made me think Will is even a bigger ass.  And funny enough when I read his book last year it made me have a more negative opinion of Jada. 

I haven't read either of the books, but it seems odd (and sad) that each spouse's book ends up making their partner look bad, and they are still married!  Usually, the negative stories are told about exes, not the current partner. This may be one of those cases where they both should just keep their thoughts to themselves.

Edited by KittyQ
Clarifying my thought.
  • Like 5
  • Applause 1

I am so sick of Whoopi and her WTF money and connections with the Pope and stars. Or lecturing.

But especially with her boredom at the table. Just moderate and don't cop an attitude. 

And I am tired of Sunny's nose in the air.

And even Ana not even paying attention to Alyssa. She won't even look at her. They are both on this show and CNN.

• Like 5
  • Applause 3

Did I hear Sunny correctly? I think she said that only now is the history of conflict in the Middle East being shared. Obviously, that's not accurate - for years there have been summaries of the issues available. The thing is that after a particular crisis passes, people forget, especially those of us who don't live in that area and don't have to deal with the problems in our daily lives. It is a good time to educate (re-educate) ourselves on the topic although it is complex and confusing. 

• Like 8
53 minutes ago, KittyQ said:

Did I hear Sunny correctly? I think she said that only now is the history of conflict in the Middle East being shared.

Maybe it's Sunny who only recently became aware of the Middle East history. i can't remember what it was but last week Sunny was unaware of something and I thought how the fuck did she not know that.  

• Like 1

Considering she keeps mentioning her Jewish grandfather it’s surprising she’s so ignorant about the conflict in Israel and Palestine.

Whoopi pissed me off with how dismissive she was of the teen who tripled the price of a ticket for her friend. That is outrageous!  Who does that?

• Like 5
10 minutes ago, Haleth said:

Considering she keeps mentioning her Jewish grandfather it’s surprising she’s so ignorant about the conflict in Israel and Palestine.

Yes, I guess my public education served me better than Sunny's private one because we learned about the troubles in the Middle East when I was in high school (and I'm fifteen years younger than Sunny, so it was certainly within her lifetime).  Honestly, I feel that Sunny's one of those people that doesn't see nuance.  Everything's very black and white to her and she needs to have a "side" to be on, so in a case such as Israel/Palestine, she's not sure what to do.  

• Like 7
3 hours ago, Haleth said:

Whoopi pissed me off with how dismissive she was of the teen who tripled the price of a ticket for her friend. That is outrageous!  Who does that?

I'm with Whoop on this one.  It was teen #1's mom who sold the $300 ticket to teen #2's mom for $900.  It's hard to feel sorry for such a silly woman.

1 hour ago, Haleth said:

Are you sure?  I thought teen #2’s mom wrote in to complain that her daughter was ripped off by her friend. 

I just re-watched the segment.  When I heard "her friend", I thought the mom who wrote Dear Abby was referring to her friend, not her daughter's friend.  I stand corrected.  And because of unconscious bias, I assumed the daughter and her scalper friend were teens when age was not even mentioned.  That was certainly a shitty thing to do to a friend, but the daughter bears some responsibility for being a dumb ass.  My big question though, after re-watching, is what was that sound that Whoopi was making while Alyssa was talking?!?!?

23 hours ago, bluegirl147 said:

Maybe it's Sunny who only recently became aware of the Middle East history. i can't remember what it was but last week Sunny was unaware of something and I thought how the fuck did she not know that.  

I didn't take it that way.   I understood her to mean that this is the first time where the Palestinian POV was included in multiple main stream media discussions of what is going on there.   

• Like 5
On 10/23/2023 at 9:27 AM, GiveMeSpace said:

Let me be the first to say Whoopi can go fuck herself with her trash take on abusive bosses. At least she is consistent with her defense of shitty people. 

well just found this post that didn’t get sent  

Yep again today defending the “friend” charging Joy 10% on a loan ( which was 40 years ago!) and the person who marked up the Taylor ticket 3 times. I can think of all the people she defended that were in show business too. 

I’m sorry I didn’t understand what Whoopi was saying about men not handing their body and Joy said you mean condoms ? She said she’d explain during break but west coast went to the Speaker of the House. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, athousandclowns said:

well just found this post that didn’t get sent  

Yep again today defending the “friend” charging Joy 10% on a loan ( which was 40 years ago!) and the person who marked up the Taylor ticket 3 times. I can think of all the people she defended that were in show business too. 

I’m sorry I didn’t understand what Whoopi was saying about men not handing their body and Joy said you mean condoms ? She said she’d explain during break but west coast went to the Speaker of the House. 

I didn't know either, but got the gist when Sara said something about "keeping their players on the bench" (meaning dilute the potency by masturbating first).  I may be wrong, so ....

• Like 3
37 minutes ago, Haleth said:

Yeah, I think she was trying to make some point equating women choosing abortion to men masturbating, but I have no idea where she was going with that. 

That was the weirdest discussion about abortion that I've ever seen.  No one was making any sense and everyone seemed to be talking about something different.  

As for what they were supposed to be discussing, yeah, I think most people would say that if you're in a committed relationship and accidentally get pregnant, that the couple should discuss what to do but ultimately, it's the woman's choice since she's the one that has to carry the baby and, if we're being real, there are  dudes out there who will say they want the baby, but then disappear once the baby is born.  And while accidents do happen, if you're not married, you need to be using both a condom and some kind of female birth control because while both of those have a possibility of failing, the odds of both of them failing during the same encounter aren't high.  And I don't know why people are coming for Justin because while I think he's probably a jerk overall, he was right that neither he nor Britney needed to be parents at 19. 

There.  Was able to cover both abortion and Britney without brining up masturbation or how many kids married folks agree to have (which were both so off topic, it was laughable).

• Like 5

Overall I am enjoying this season, but I agree that Whoopi should not sit there rolling her eyes looking bored. I also have to say that although I like Ana, I enjoy the program more when she is not there. Yes, they are all opinionated, but she is very not open to hearing another side to the point of being rude sometimes.  Dismissive and, nope, she is not about to change.

I also like the way they are dressed most days, color-coordinated.  Nice on the eyes.

• Like 6
On 10/26/2023 at 2:03 PM, debbie311 said:

Whoopi should not sit there rolling her eyes looking bored.

Usually when Whoopi does this, the topic has to do with gossip or personal behavior that I guess she feels is none of her business. Some producer is pushing for this topic - it always happens about the same spot in the show, and is a shorter segment between commercials.

• Like 2
26 minutes ago, Sue in her 60s said:

Usually when Whoopi does this, the topic has to do with gossip or personal behavior that I guess she feels is none of her business. Some producer is pushing for this topic - it always happens about the same spot in the show, and is a shorter segment between commercials.

yup

but she sure perks up when the guest starts praising her

• Like 2
  • Wink 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 1