Type keyword(s) to search

The Musketeers - General Discussion

• Start Topic

How long has Constance's husband been dead? Sheesh, dudes. I like Dr. Lemay but the proposal seemed sudden and out of the blue; clearly his regard for her has grown but I was expecting a request to court her, not marry her.

"Forgive me for startling you with the impetuosity of my sentiments, my dear Scarlett. I mean, my dear Mrs. Kennedy. But it cannot have escaped your notice that for some time past the friendship I have felt for you has ripened into a deeper feeling. A feeling more beautiful, more pure, more sacred. Dare I name it? Can it be love?" ~ Rhett Butler

Not very original writing for the Musketeers.

Edited by ennui
  • Love 1

Indeed it has been renewed: http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/s235/the-musketeers/news/a626038/the-musketeers-to-return-for-third-series-on-bbc-one.html#~p6wUsSh72Dj8td

Btw, I loved the dinner scene with Porthos's awful family, when the guy spit in Porthos's face, and Aramis immediately jumped to his feet, whereas Porthos remained cool and in control. It was nice to see Porthos handling this with such self-confidence; and I always like it when the boys are protective of each other.

• Love 2
Besides, she looked like Jo March or Becky Thatcher in that blue dress and with the bangs, and no good can come of that.

Constance looked like Alice. I kept waiting for her to trip and fall through the looking glass.

It's funny, my mind immediately went to Cinderella, especially with the running down the stairs.

I really hope they're just trying to scare us with foreshadowing of Constance's death. I don't care if it happened in the books, I don't want to see it here.

Alas, the BBC seem to love killing off their heroines. Did they learn NOTHING from the shit-storm that followed the unbearably stupid decision to have Maid Marian murdered in Robin Hood? 

I think there's a difference here, though. Constance always dies. Maid Marian never dies. Maybe it's the difference between 19th-century romantic historical fiction and legend that's been passed down through the ages.

Alas, the BBC seem to love killing off their heroines. Did they learn NOTHING from the shit-storm that followed the unbearably stupid decision to have Maid Marian murdered in Robin Hood?

The actor wanted to leave the show though. So it's not like it was planned. 

I actually was ok with D'A saying he never liked the husband and didn't care he was dead. They guy was a hateful bitch who smacked his wife around. I don't think he should have pulled the 'I might not be around' because, dude, you so will. "Take some time, I get it, but we should talk sooner than later."

Honestly, when the doctor proposed, I was like, "Let's not be hasty here Constance!"

Given the latitude taken for the Three's back stories, I'd like Constance to stick around. It's easy and cheap to kill off a loved one to force development for a main character. And in this case, yes, D'A would be *soooooo* emo. I think it would be interesting if they were together but no open about it, and Constance was growing to be much more assertive, with D'A having to deal with being the guy who doesn't swoop in to save *his woman.*

To that end, I think it would be really interesting if Constance became a nurse, so she'd be routinely in harm's way but still doing brave things.

Seriously, the doctor is way chill: 

"I love you and will truly treat you as an equal partner."

"Umm, I actually don't. I love someone else. Can we still be friends?"

"Well, I hope your relationship works out. We'll be the best of friends."

I honestly didn't know if the dad was in on it till the end. Good for the show though. I was creeped out by the whole family. 

How sure is Rochefort of the baby's parentage? Milady wasn't buying it. Did anyone hear the queen talking to Constance or did I miss something? I suppose Rochefort has the king's ear and would take the accusation seriously, but he doesn't have any reason to suspect anything, and the "I gave Aramis the cross because he saved our lives last season and he put his life on the line for your unborn son" is a pretty legit cover story. 

Plus, it's going to be hard to cover up an attempted rape when there was an actual eyewitness. 

Edited by ganesh
  • Love 1

I think he's just making an accurate guess. He figured out that Aramis has feelings for Anne, knows that Anne gave him a valuable crucifix, which can be seen as indicative of her feelings of she isn't prone to giving servants/soldiers/non-nobles gifts, and maybe was even aware of Louis' season 1 assertion that Anne recoils at his touch (Knight Takes Queen). Putting any of that together could lead him to guess correctly.

Oh, he's not stupid. But he's still only got allegations on his side. The queen didn't cop to it and can respond with a pretty legit reason for giving Aramis a gift.

I think we're supposed to infer that court is very much in Rochefort's and no one really likes the queen. I don't really see that.

Anne is also a foreign born queen.  I have no idea how the French people felt about the real life version but I do know that both Catherine de Medici and Marie Antoinette were harshly judged in real life for not being French born.  In Catherine's case, it made her vulnerable to having her marriage annulled (before she became friends with her father in law and secured her place by having baby after baby) and Marie Antoinette ended up beheaded.  In show, Anne's Spanish origins have already been used to threaten her so I think it would be pretty easy for a significant member of Louis' court to make a claim about her committing adultery.  In this case he'd be right but that wouldn't matter to those who would be eager to embrace the opportunity to get rid of a hated queen.  And Louis is one of them.  He's wished Anne dead before when he thought she was unable to have children and this season he's made his contempt for her a regular occurrence.  She gave him the son and heir he craved, so I could see him refusing to accept that he's really Aramis' but it would be easy for him to take the attacks on her reputation and use them as a chance to dump her in favor of a new model who might be more popular with the French people.  Bring in Rochefort's success in elevating his status and rearranging the court allies and her only chance at avoiding execution are the Musketeers (with assistance from Constance and possibly Milady).

I don't see much evidence of Anne being generally disliked either, but I think we're supposed to see the way Emilie and her followers behaved in that episode as evidence of a larger problem between the French and their queen rather than a select group of fanatics who happen to hate everything connected to her birth country.

• Love 1

I suppose so. I think TPTBs are assuming the viewers are inferring more than what's been shown on the screen. 

Putting yourself in the show, one could argue that the queen was very brave to put herself among Emilie's people, literally risking her life to defuse the situation and protect the sovreignity of the crown. 

The general dislike of the monarchy that we've seen on the show isn't specifically directed at her though. If anything, in the hostage episode the king came out looking the worst. 

The actor wanted to leave the show though. So it's not like it was planned.

Slightly OT, but it was definitely not Lucy Griffiths's decision to leave Robin Hood. That was the story the show ran with when the backlash hit, but Richard Armitage (Guy of Gisborne) has always been very vocal in interviews that it was 100% the writers' call. 

And now, back to The Musketeers....

• Love 1

Did Rochefort actually say anything about the baby in his confrontation with Anne? I know he accused her of adultery, based mainly on the crucifix and Marguerite's suspicions, but if he didn't specifically mention the baby, it's a jump from there to assuming he knows/guesses the baby's paternity is suspect. Just the accusation of adultery would be enough to condemn her, he doesn't have to say anything about the baby. I can't actually remember what he said, though.

I don't think he mentioned the Dauphin, and he doesn't seem to know how long Aramis has had the crucifix, so it's possible that he believes their relationship began sometime after she gave birth.  Rochefort's very calculating, though, so I expect it will occur to him eventually that Aramis might be the one who got her pregnant, even if nothing comes of it in show.  If Richelieu were still around, then I imagine the paternity angle would be front and center, as he certainly noticed how they acted to each other when her pregnancy was announced, but Rochefort didn't witness that exchange so he may just focus on how she "betrayed" him (Rochefort) dressed up as a charge of treason against the crown and the Dauphin will just be considered a victim rather than evidence.

I don't think he mentioned the Dauphin, and he doesn't seem to know how long Aramis has had the crucifix, so it's possible that he believes their relationship began sometime after she gave birth.  Rochefort's very calculating, though, so I expect it will occur to him eventually that Aramis might be the one who got her pregnant, even if nothing comes of it in show.  If Richelieu were still around, then I imagine the paternity angle would be front and center, as he certainly noticed how they acted to each other when her pregnancy was announced, but Rochefort didn't witness that exchange so he may just focus on how she "betrayed" him (Rochefort) dressed up as a charge of treason against the crown and the Dauphin will just be considered a victim rather than evidence.

Thanks. That's what I thought, but everyone seemed to be talking about the baby as if Rochefort had specifically named him as the product of adultery, which I didn't remember at all!

Finally got around to this episode.  Definitely had a blast seeing Liam Cunningham as Porthos' father.  Totally knew he was going to end up not being a nice person.  I'm surprised he still alive; I wonder if he might rear his head somewhere down the line.  I'm also assuming Eleanor is still alive as well (who was Anne Stanhope in The Tudors!  Been seeing a few of them lately on this show.)  Either way, I'm glad Porthos finally knows everything.  Wished Treville didn't take so damn long to get everything out, but at least Howard Charles and Hugo Speer shined in all of their scenes.

Thank goodness Anne finally knows that Rochefort is a creep, even if it doesn't make his character any more interesting.  Dude is mess up.  He really is hung up over her, do to a gift and what she said to him, back when she was fourteen?  I guess he doesn't understand that some people actually change when they age.  Oh, boy.  So, now he's going to expose Anne's fling with Aramis.  Don't think he really has any solid proof yet, but I guess just speculation alone is enough to harm her.  Plus, Louis is clearly still under his spell.

Yeah, Constance finally freeing herself to fully love D'Artagnan should be touching, but I totally think this means she might not be long for this world.  If not that, something will damn well ruin it.

Unlike with Rochefort, I'm totally interested over how Milady is maneuvering herself.

Seriously D'Artangan?  I get that you're not exactly mourning for Constance's husband, but telling her that you might not be there when she makes up her mind? 

Screw you!  I wish that Constance had told him about the Doctor's proposal just to show him that she wouldn't necessarily have to make up her mind to take *him*.

Regarding Rochefort.  Isn't his ultimate aim to get rid of Louis and rule France with Anne? 

If so, then his best bet is to do so as Regent to a legitimate heir, so he won't want to be calling the Dauphin's parentage into question.

Then again, now that Anne has rejected him so completely , that plan has gone by the wayside - unless he gets rid of both King and Queen.

Okay, I'm all settled in with my weekly cocktail and iPlayer to watch the episode, AND IT'S NOT THERE! Can somebody tell me what's going on? 

It's Red Nose Day, isn't it? ISN'T IT?????

Dude is mess up.  He really is hung up over her,

Dude is hung up over a fourteen-year-old. Yeah, I know there were plenty of fourteen-year-old brides in that era, but they were usually marriages of strategy or convenience, not love, and usually to somebody of about their own age--Anne has made reference to she and Louis pretty much growing up together.

In fact, one of the things I like is the way they sometimes show there's a kind of bond between Anne and Louis by virtue simply of them both having grown up as royals and understanding each other because of that, and having married each other as children, and knowing each other so well because of that. They may not be in love with each other, and may not have ever been, but they do get each other, whether they want to or not, and sometimes they appreciate that and appreciate the fact that nobody else really does understand them the way the other one does.

• Love 3

Okay, I'm all settled in with my weekly cocktail and iPlayer to watch the episode, AND IT'S NOT THERE! Can somebody tell me what's going on? 

It's Red Nose Day, isn't it? ISN'T IT?????

Sadly, yes. They changed it earlier this week.

BBC America will air it tonight though so in a rare moment, the Americans will get a UK episode first.

(edited)

Hmm. I get iPlayer semi-demi-hemi legally through Hola. I wonder if I can tap into BBC America the same way. (I doubt it.)

ETA: Quick answer: No, there isn't. 

Edited by DCWash

Wait, you mean BBCA aired something *before* another network? It's never happened before, so I'm not sure how to process that information.

Finally, an episode worth posting about. Absolutely loved the reveal of Aramis' liaison with the Queen to the other Musketeers - from Porthos punch/hug to D'Artagnan's incredulous expression giving way to his utterly disgusted "Aramis…" Though nothing can beat Athos' reaction from last season ("I can't believe you slept with the Queen!") - the definition of epic.

And am I the only one who's totally into Athos/Milady? I'm not much a shipper by nature but those two have smoking' hot chemistry IMO. I knew Catherine (Athos' sister-in-law) would never get the jump on Milady.

As far as the palace stuff, it was exciting, I'll give them that. But next week, the boys damn well better get the best of Rochefort. Really hoping he's a one-season villain and doesn't come back next year, because I've had enough of him (and worse, the way every other character has been turned into an idiot so he can come out on top all the time). Wasn't the Duke of Buckingham a villain in the original novel? Maybe they can make him season 3's villain. Unless they can get Capaldi back… /wishful thinking

• Love 2

And am I the only one who's totally into Athos/Milady? I'm not much a shipper by nature but those two have smoking' hot chemistry IMO. I knew Catherine (Athos' sister-in-law) would never get the jump on Milady.

I guess if I can't have Milady, then Athos getting her is the next best thing.

As for the rest of the episode, wow!  The writing team finally woke up.

Edited by millennium
  • Love 2

Damn, that was a great episode! Totally jam-packed and got me right in the feels in several places.

Doctor Lemay! ::sobs::

I can't see any way that Rochefort makes it out of the season still in power, because it's reached such a tipping point that either he prevails or the Musketeers and Queen do -- and given that the show is called The Musketeers and not Rochefort, and the show would go wildly historically AU with the Queen convicted of treason, I'm putting my money on Team Good Guys. I could see Rochefort escaping to turn back up at some future point, but of course I'm hoping for his death at the point of a sword.

So they ended up in the same room in the convent where Anne and Aramis slept together -- where it began and where it basically ended, because you know they won't dare go near one another again. Argh, my poor shipper heart, but I completely knew it was coming.

• Love 3

You guys do know you're driving me crazy, don't you?

And am I the only one who's totally into Athos/Milady? I'm not much a shipper by nature but those two have smoking' hot chemistry IMO.

I'm the kind of person who watches TV fairly objectively, who doesn't get too into it, who doesn't understand passionate shipping...but I have to admit, lately, when those two have had scenes together, and Athos has seemed to soften towards her, I've literally yelled at my screen, "Don't do it, dude! She's a bad 'un! You know better!"

By the way, Amazon has the good old '70s Three Musketeers with Michael York and Oliver Reed and Richard Chamberlain and Charlton Heston and Raquel Welch up for streaming, for free right now if you have Amazon Prime. I'm sorely tempted, as it's the version that got me into swashbuckling as a pubescent all those years ago (I even took fencing in college!) and as I can't watch this episode this week.. On the other hand, what if it hasn'%

And am I the only one who's totally into Athos/Milady? I'm not much a shipper by nature but those two have smoking' hot chemistry IMO.

I'm the kind of person who watches TV fairly objectively, who doesn't get too into it, who doesn't understand passionate shipping...but I have to admit, lately, when those two have had scenes together, and Athos has seemed to soften towards her, I've literally yelled at my screen, "Don't do it, dude! She's a bad 'un! You know better!"

By the way, Amazon has the good old '70s Three Musketeers with Michael York and Oliver Reed and Richard Chamberlain and Charlton Heston and Raquel Welch up for streaming, for free right now if you have Amazon Prime. I'm sorely tempted, as it's the version that got me into swashbuckling as a pubescent all those years ago (I even took fencing in college!) and as I can't watch this episode this week.. On the other hand, what if it hasn'%

By the way, Amazon has the good old '70s Three Musketeers with Michael York and Oliver Reed and Richard Chamberlain and Charlton Heston and Raquel Welch up for streaming, for free right now if you have Amazon Prime. I'm sorely tempted, as it's the version that got me into swashbuckling as a pubescent all those years ago (I even took fencing in college!) and as I can't watch this episode this week.. On the other hand, what if it hasn't borne up?

I know Athos/Milady is probably doomed and really is wrong for several reasons, but I enjoy them too.  I think Tom Burke and Maime McCoy have good chemistry and are fun together.  Burke especially, does a good job at making Athos come off like he's mad at himself for still being attracted to her, but he just can't stop himself.  I guess another part of it is that it's just different compared to the other big pairings, like Aramis/Anne and D'Artagnan/Constance.

Glad Aramis finally told everyone the truth, and it was about as hilarious as I thought it would be.  My favorite parts was Porthos managing to almost hit and hug him at the same time when he revealed the prince might be his, and Athos' "Had I known what he was going to do, I would have shot him myself" to Treville asking why he didn't stop it.  Snarky Athos is the best Athos.

At long last, Rochefort is making his move.  Since I knew this was the episode before the finale, I figured it was going to end with all the heroes in peril, so I knew the plan was going to bomb big time.  Any time someone said that Marguerite could be trusted, I wanted to yell at them how wrong they are.  So, yeah: Rouchefort's now got Louis believing Anne is guilty of both treason and attempted murder, both Aramis and Constance are locked in the slammer, and the rest have to rely on Porthos getting back in time with help.  Yikes!

Poor Lemay: instead of being a romantic rival, in the end, he was here to be brutally executed in front of Constance.

I know I should give the show credit for continuity, any time they mention Richelieu, but it also just makes me want Peter Capaldi to come bursting in any second, complete with a mustache twirl and cape flip.  I do miss that sneaky bastard.

The finale should be very interesting.... 

things really do look bad for Constance.

• Love 2

Snarky Athos is the best Athos.

I know I should give the show credit for continuity, any time they mention Richelieu, but it also just makes me want Peter Capaldi to come bursting in any second, complete with a mustache twirl and cape flip.  I do miss that sneaky bastard.

Yes to pretty much your entire post, thuganomics, but especially these. Deadpan Athos is definitely my favorite Athos. And as for Capaldi, frankly I'm still in mourning over the show's loss. And feeling especially bitter toward Doctor Who, but that's a different post for a different forum. (Damn you Moffatt!) He brought such a level of quality to the show that Rochefort IMO doesn't come anywhere close.

As for the rest of the episode, wow!  The writing team finally woke up.

I know, right? Where have they been all season?

Forgot to say earlier: poor poor Lemay!

And by the way, Rochefort, that eyepatch looks dumb. So there!

So, if Rochefort is Anne's brother, does that mean she's in on the plot to take the French throne? 

Athos can't seem to stay away from Milady. Why are men so stupid? I want to remind him that she can't be trusted. He should have a tattoo on his palm that he can read often.

D'Artagnon annoyed me, and Aramis is still hopelessly naïve. *sigh*

I was surprised at Lemay's death; given current events, I was surprised they went there. I know Doctor Who changed an episode set in the French Revolution.

So, if Rochefort is Anne's brother, does that mean she's in on the plot to take the French throne? 

Rochefort is not Anne's brother. He was her French "tutor" when she was sent to marry Louis.

Rochefort is not Anne's brother. He was her French "tutor" when she was sent to marry Louis.

It was a line in the episode. Anne started to call him her brother, and then stopped.

Really hoping he's a one-season villain and doesn't come back next year, because I've had enough of him

This. I am over Rochefort.

Burke especially, does a good job at making Athos come off like he's mad at himself for still being attracted to her, but he just can't stop himself.

This, too. 

I admit, I cheered when Athos and Milady kissed. Their chemistry is fantastic, and I think they both have genuine feelings along with their respective sense of betrayal. She's still dangerous and unpredictable, but that was great. 

Rochefort's biggest mistake was probably trying to strangle Milady. She wasn't just going to take that without a response.

Poor Lemay. I really liked him.

I can't imagine they're going to have two beheadings -- at least I hope not  -- but that doesn't mean Constance is safe.

I, too, loved Porthos' reaction to Aramis' reveal, and I liked his advice to deny that anything happened with Anne. I figured Anne blew any chance of deniability, though, when she looked at Aramis during the confrontation (after Rochefort told her about Marguerite). But if Rochefort is arrested or killed, I suppose denial could still work with the king. (I doubt Marguerite is going to go free for her part in poisoning the king, so her word isn't going to count for much.)

That said, I know Anne & Aramis can't be together, but I still wish they could.

Also, come on Porthos, save the day!

• Love 2

...brutally executed...

Interesting method, and I wonder if it was historically accurate.  I was expecting the head on the block, rather than the assistant grabbing Lemay's arms and putting his own head into the small of his back, in order to keep him upright for the swing.  What a rotten job.  Aside from the obvious danger, he also gets literally covered in blood directly afterward. 

Her brother is the king of Spain, that's who she was referring to when she spoke of her brother not allowing the episode's events to happen.

Thank you! (I confess, I was trying to watch two shows at the same time.)

I don't know if the execution was accurate for the time but it was the way Anne Boleyn was executed (minus the guy holding her in place). She was famously granted the option of a French executioner whose skill was such that she lost her head in one blow. Since the guillotine was not yet invented/in use I imagine the beheadings were still done this way, so I assume accuracy.

given current events, I was surprised they went there. I know Doctor Who changed an episode set in the French Revolution.

That way lies madness.   It sickens me how broadcasters cower before the prospect of feeble-minded public "outrage."  It has also been said the dog on Downton Abbey was killed off because her name was Isis.

• Love 1

That way lies madness.   It sickens me how broadcasters cower before the prospect of feeble-minded public "outrage."  It has also been said the dog on Downton Abbey was killed off because her name was Isis.

I hadn't considered that I'm feeble-minded but I suppose it's entirely possible. I just know the thought turns my stomach, and I don't need beheadings in my entertainment.

The bit about Isis has been endlessly discussed and disproven. The episodes were filmed prior to the growth of that group, and completely unrelated.

But beheading was used as a form of capital punishment in the past.

Say The Tudors was being filmed right now: should the production change the form of execution?  Keep it off screen because terrorists have adopted it?  Some very intense climactic scenes would have been lost.

Perhaps feeble-minded was too strong and I apologize.   However, I become inflamed when free expression is curtailed as a reaction to terrorism.   The worst part is, it's not even the terrorists themselves who are suppressing things -- it's people and corporations in the free world taking it upon themselves to censor what can be said or shown, and in the doing giving terrorists exactly what they want.

Edited by millennium

So much for my fondness for minor characters.  Adieu, Doctor! you started off kind of an assjack, then you turned out to be very cool.   One of the best scenes in the series was Aramis & Lemay working together on Treville's gunshot wound -- all very believable & in character for both men. *weeps*

I agree that Athos & Milady have Teh Smokin' Chem, but I didn't want them kissing.  I'm torn on the reveal that it was all Thomas's fault -- I wanted her to be almost all bad, except for her love for Athos.

I volunteer myself as Porthos' love interest for Season 3.  It's not fair that all the other boys have 'em.  True, I am Treville's age, but I think P has mommy ish I could help resolve.  'Cause I'm a giver.

• Love 3

But beheading was used as a form of capital punishment in the past.

Say The Tudors was being filmed right now: should the production change the form of execution?  Keep it off screen because terrorists have adopted it?  Some very intense climactic scenes would have been lost.

Perhaps feeble-minded was too strong and I apologize.   However, I become inflamed when free expression is curtailed as a reaction to terrorism.   The worst part is, it's not even the terrorists themselves who are suppressing things -- it's people and corporations in the free world taking it upon themselves to censor what can be said or shown, and in the doing giving terrorists exactly what they want.

I think a discussion of terrorism and free speech probably belongs somewhere else. I do see your point, and yes, beheadings are historically accurate. I think what I was trying to say is that The Musketeers is still sort of a family show and I wasn't expecting it. Game of Thrones, etc., have their reputations for gore and violence so it's expected. I hope that makes sense.

• Love 1

The Musketeers is still sort of a family show and I wasn't expecting it. Game of Thrones, etc., have their reputations for gore and violence so it's expected. I hope that makes sense.

It does.   They did spare us the drop of the head.   I waited for it.   Then wondered where it got off to.

• Love 1

Boy they all really brought it this episode. So good. Except for Constances' hair. Not good. So terrible.

I was almost disappointed with the anti-climatic Catherine and Milady scene. I wanted an epic showdown between Dangerous Ladies. Then I realized that it was all only to lead to the series of EPIC scenes between Athos and Milady, and it was worth it. 

Tom Burke! The raw emotion on his face when he asked Milady if his brother raped her made me shiver.

Aramis tells all scene was everything I needed. Damn I love these 5 guys.

The Musketeers must risk everything to save France from Rochefort’s treacherous plan. While Porthos seeks to lure the Spanish spy-master to Paris to prove Rochefort’s betrayal to the King, Athos and d’Artagnan must save Constance from certain death. But will they be able to protect Aramis and the Queen before Rochefort gets to them? The fate of France and their closest comrades lies in the Musketeers’ hands.

BBC1: March 27, 2015

BBCA: March 21, 2015.

North American viewers: You are ahead again this week as you will get the finale six days in advance of the UK Viewers. Spoilers below for viewers who haven't watched yet.

I want Milady's dress. And I don't even wear dresses. It's that perfect.

My TV screen almost exploded from the amount of chemistry between Athos and Milady.

Aramis telling everybody about the Queen affair was pure gold. The only thing better than the boy's reactions was Athos' snark.

Rochefort... just die already! And take the king and the nanny with you.

Poor Lemay. Btw. why didn't Constance just close her eyes?

Edited by Asha124
  • Love 1

Great episode. Poor Lemay. I would have loved to keep him. Poor Rochefort. That eyepatch did not do him any favours, although I welcome any setback, even if it's just a mismatched eyepatch for now. And poor Anne. Not only was she nearly raped and is married to a whimsical grown-up child, her own brother would betray her, again.

The Catherine plot was a bit of let-down. Was that it with her? On the upside, Athos and Milady were intriguing (unlike Constance and d'Artagnan, for whom I kind of root but who are a tad boring).

With everything we've been seen of Aramis/Anne, Athos/Milady and d'Artagnan/Constance, I really  think Porthos needs an exciting love interest next season, one that stays for more than one episode.

I am really curious now who will survive the finale. Constance has a target on her back, but it's so damn obvious that I am starting to have doubts if they will really kill her off. The actress did a great job with Constance's horror/shock reaction when the doctor was executed, by the way. Things are also looking dire for Rochefort, although he might escape off to Spain or whereever, and haunt them from there. I was actually entertained by his evilness this episode. Now that he's acting on it and Anne can see it, I can stomach it so much more easily.

I've been having some uncomfortable worries about Milady, whom I would hate to lose for this show, but whose redemption story might be topped off with an honourable death. That's a very standard narrative procedure. Take someone beyond redemption, redeem them as much as you can, then kill them off to forego the awkward question of where they'll go from there with the undeniable residuals of their evilness. I really hope that our writers found a way around that. For the sake of Milady, and for the preservation of snarky Athos. Steamy snarky Athos in today's episode!

I've also worried about Treville, who I suspect will become captain again or die. I loved Treville in this episode, especially when Aramis's night with the queen was revealed, and Treville immediately jumped into his role of the captain again, just the way he handled the situation.

As utterly annoying as Louis has been this entire season, and indeed this whole episode, I kind of liked how it was not at all easy for Rochefort to really turn him against Anne.

Classic: Athos and Milady playing 7 Minutes in Heaven in Richelieu's closet.

Edited by Marie Claudine
  • Love 2
Poor Lemay. Btw. why didn't Constance just close her eyes?

That was my first thought when I saw the episode tonight. But did you see how Lemay--poor honorable, legitimately terrified Lemay--was searching for something or somebody to look at in his final moments? I think that's why Constance didn't close her eyes. So he would have a friend to make eye contact with and not be so alone. It loioked to me like she was making a real effort to look him in the eye. That takes courage, the courage Porthos was talking about.

• Love 2

I watched it again tonight, without distractions. I have speculations, so I will watch the finale just to see if I'm correct. (I expect Constance to be rescued and whisked off to a convent, a la Guinevere.)

Otherwise, I think Aramis and Anne are well-matched, both honorable and stupidly naïve.

Not sure why the writers gave up on D'Artagnan, but they didn't leave Luke much to work with.

I agree that Athos and Milady have smoking chemistry, but I hate to see Athos blinded by that. Milady is a killer, over and over. Maybe she had bad things happen to her, but she's made some bad choices since then.

And, on to the finale.

But where was the beehive-throwing, rabbit-and-protestant-shooting reverend mother from season one??? I really missed her.

Everything else I wanted to say has already been said. I will say that I loved seeing how swiftly Louis forgave Anne for her alleged crime, and the juxtaposition between his childlike viewpoint (I'll pretend to still be cross, that's her punishment, and then all will be forgiven in the morning) and Rochefort's villainy. Louis is still playing to last season's rules - he doesn't understand yet that Rochefort is playing a different game entirely.

RIP, Doctor Hottie. :(

Edited by Llywela
  • Love 1

Okay, this may be wishful thinking but I REALLY hope that Milady is the one to save Constance's life next episode. I know that she kills Constance in the novel, but that's precisely WHY I want it to be her to save her in the TV show; especially since the BBC have been trolling us with Constance's death since her husband died.

Loved everyone's reactions to Aramis sleeping with the Queen, particularly what immediately followed Porthos's response: Treville promptly shoving him out the way so HE could yell at Aramis. Hee! 

Hot Physician! NOOOOOO.

Could they not track down the actress who played the Reverend Mother last time? She was great, and it seemed a shame to return to that location without her.

I guess that's it for Catherine? Kind of an anti-climax for that particular subplot, but count me in the "shipping Athos/Milady despite myself" camp. 

Santiago Cabrera is a beautiful man, but geez - could he have LOOKED more apathetic when Rochefort had him arrested? Okay, maybe not "apathetic", but it was the exact same mildly intense look that he makes all the time. How about some genuine fear? Panic? Guilt? 

I vote that the Musketeers stop calling themselves "the King's Musketeers" and instead rename themselves "the Queen's Musketeers." It's obvious their loyalty is with her, and it's so fun to watch.

I'm going to enjoy watching Rochefort going down next episode (fingers crossed). They should continue the trend of seasonal villains, because this one has definitely outstayed his welcome. 

• Love 2