Type keyword(s) to search

The Musketeers - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Super late but I'm watching on the Canadian schedule on Showcase, so I just noticed that they've started just about a month ago. I was waiting for Netflix Canada to update.

Unfortunately, I will forever associate Mark Warren with a terribly unfortunate Doctor Who episode, so that will have to be overcome. Right now, I'm not sure, not a lot of subtlety with the pointless shooting of bystanders.

Having seen Capaldi as the latest Doctor, I must say, he should have stayed with this one. I understand the choice but he is wasted on Doctor Who. His Richelieu was wonderful, his Doctor, unfortunately, is not IMO. Not his fault, I think, it's mostly the writing there at the moment.

There was a lot I couldn't quite place, I didn't remember who Adele was, I wasn't sure if we had met De Foix before. Maybe I should have done a rewatch before I started with season 2. It's clear that Treville is no politician since he didn't foresee that if he didn't step up, someone worse most likely would. Never even mind the king holding a grudge.

I almost teared up at the king's happiness at having a son. It made me think that at the time, so much hinged on producing sons in order to keep the kingdom safe and somewhat stable. The pressure is not to be underestimated. I liked that they at least hinted that with producing a son, the Queen's position is so much more secure.

D'Artagnan, you are a dick. That is all.

I wish they wouldn't pronounce D'Artagnan with the stress on the second syllable. It makes me cringe a lot. I expect a clearly French word to be stressed at the end of the word.

Well, I guess Louis has the maturity and attention span of a 5-year-old, so I'm not terribly surprised. He's grown up in a bubble with everyone doing his bidding and only Richelieu was smart enough to circumvent some of his more immature leanings. Albeit, even Richelieu went too far last season when Louis whined that he wanted another queen who would give him a son.

For all Louis' claiming he liked Treville being honest with him, he only likes it when it goes his way. No one outright is allowed to say no to him. I think Richelieu was smart enough and diplomatic enough to get around that. Treville is not and, as it seems D'Artagnan isn't either.

There are a lot of plot lines in the air and that's what I expect from a show that's about the Musketeers and courtly intrigue.

Not impressed all that much with Rochefort. Too much outright stabbing, not enough backstabbing.

I see it's still all CSI Paris on this show.

• Love 1

A Marriage of Inconvenience subtext:

King Louis: Will you marry me?

Rochefort: I will.

Rochefort comes out, holding up his ring: He loves me! It's mine! My precious! Bow down to the Ring!

Musketeers: We are not amused.

I loved this one. I tore through season 1 in about a week but this season is barely holding my interest until now. I did not see the assassin plot coming. Does no one care, including Louis that his council is dying one by one?

That assassin lady was doomed anyway. If Mylady hadn't killed her, Rochefort would have. I'm sure she will use that information at the opportune moment. Athos, you sad, sad man. Have you forgotten that she killed your brother? I wonder if it will turn out eventually that she spoke the truth? It feels a bit like she will be turnd into an ally, if not even a partner. Athos seems to warm up to her.

So Rochefort is the new Richelieu? I don't pay much attention to titles, so I actually thought he had that position already.

The whole Constance/D'Artagnan things doesn't make much sense to me. She couldn't have divorced, her husband can't just tell her to come home over the wishes of the Queen and she can't be in the Queen's service while openly being the mistress of a musketeer.

While the King had an official mistress position, I don't think it is allowed for the Queen's household to have ladies of the court around who have that kind of reputation.

What is Rochefort's plan anyway? Isolating the King? And then? What is the endgame for Spain?

I think those 5 years certainly did a number on Rochefort. I miss Richelieu. So much more interesting.

(edited)

D'Artagnan is pretty immature. So, your husband is dead, Yeah! Let's go have sex! If you don't, I won't be there anymore!

You ass. I'm starting to think she really should marry Lemay. He's nice, smart, cute and won't give her stupid ultimatums during a temper tantrum.

Talk about overplaying your hand, Rochefort.

Stab his eye out, you go girl!

Now the Queen tells Constance the worst of her secret? There is treason which would get her killed but admitting the dauphin is not the dauphin? You'd think she'd be smarter, at least for the sake and safety of her son. Louis might kill him if he finds out. This also puts Constance in grave danger.

Porthos' story was unfortunately quite predictable. Still, I liked the scene when his father gave him the picture. It was nicely underplayed but I knew something was not right with it.

Dude is hung up over a fourteen-year-old.

It could be that during his years in a Spanish prison, he hung on to her memory and that got blown out of proportion in his mind. Possibly in the end, it might have helped justifying his decision to become a traitor.  Maybe in his warped mind, he thought he would save her from the French king.

I possibly attribute more layers than the writers have but I must make him more interesting in my warped mind.

Edited by supposebly
(edited)

Shit just got real.

Lemay! Oh noes!

That scene was very effective. It also showcases in general that men sleep around, and women seem to pay the price. Or at least for now, good friends of those women. I do hope Constance survives and kicks D'Artagnan to the curb. He doesn't deserve her.

Burke especially, does a good job at making Athos come off like he's mad at himself for still being attracted to her, but he just can't stop himself.

I know. I'm right there in his head too. At least with the being mad at him.

My dear Queen, do not run into the lion's den when you don't have enough intel. I hope she will be smarter and less trusting next season. And of course, not sleep with Aramis again.

The confession scene:

Treville's reactions throughout are a hoot. It moves from this mixture of flabbergasted, how did this happen, accusing, what have I done to be associated with those lunatics, to *throwing the hat: my life sucks.

I liked D'Artagnan's comment about how Aramis could have protected the Queen's reputation by not actually having sex with her!

Me too. Shit is bad when D'Artagnan is the voice of reason.

Monsieur Treville! Flirting with a nun! Hasn't this convent seen enough indiscretions?

Ride Porthos, ride like the wind!

This season took a while to get off the ground but I'm looking forward to the last one now!

Edited by supposebly
  • Love 2
(edited)

Well, that was somewhat tense. Not terribly though. I recognized Athos from behind with the horses and I was very proud of myself. I think it was the hat that gave him away during Constance's walk to her execution.

I almost feel bad for Louis. Even if he isn't quite sure, a dauphin is better than no dauphin, even if it's a wrong one, I guess. And the dauphin might still be his anyway. It's entirely possible that Anne and Aramis want him to be theirs despite the repercussions. That doesn't mean he is. Wouldn't DNA testing have been handy at the time when royal bloodlines were so very important.

So, Rochefort is the terminator who just.won't.die. So, my fanwank of the last episode was pretty much accurate. Yay me! It did make me feel bad for him a little bit. Still, he was a creepy stalkerish murderer and traitor. So, stab away, Musketeers!

I really don't see much between D'Artagnan and Constance. Oh well, some canon is observed although according to the book, she should be long dead.

Still, as far as I remember, the women in Dumas are either completely evil (Mylady) or innocent victims (Constance, Anne), so I'm ok with a different approach.

I don't want Athos get back together with his ex, even if she might not have lied and his brother attacked her, so in some way, it would have been Athos' fault for her doing everything to survive.

Again, not a lot of choices for women who are supposed to be dead back then. Still, she killed a lot of people in cold blood, and not just for the Cardinal.

ETA: I started a season 1 rewatch and in episode 3, Richelieu says he picked Mylady out of the gutter. So, I'm thinking he might have made her his agent and pretty much saved her life.

Their chemistry however is undeniable. I guess I'd be ok with the occasional smoldering scene between them.

Aramis seriously deserves to stay in a monastery. As far as I remember, he got two women killed (Adele, Marguerite), two almost killed (Anne, Constance). Sleeping with the Queen is treason, I think, too.

The Musketeers have to get Aramis back if they're going to war - he's the only person on the show who knows any first aid, since Lemay's sad demise.

So true. Well, I guess this is not that kind of show. Swashbuckle away!

Have I said I really like the music?

Edited by supposebly
  • Love 2

I keep reading reports that season three is the end. Can anyone confirm that via legit links please? If that's the case I'm seriously bummed.

Has it started in the UK?

Series three has not aired yet. The premiere date has not been released either which is probably why fans are speculating the end.

I think BBC pushed the show off partly due to War & Peace which finished airing this past weekend and also starred Tom Burke. There can also be some merit to the cancellation rumors, but nothing has been officially released about it.

I keep reading reports that season three is the end. Can anyone confirm that via legit links please? If that's the case I'm seriously bummed.

There has been no official announcement, but the cast made a lot of very final sounding noises when filming wrapped for the season - there were a lot of tweets from a lot of different people that had a very definite 'this is the end, it's been great' vice about them. But no official announcement, so it's still hearsay at this stage.

I think BBC pushed the show off partly due to War & Peace which finished airing this past weekend and also starred Tom Burke.

Speaking of which, did anybody else think his character in W&P was, basically, another Athos? I mean, it wasn't so much Burke's characterization--he played Dolokhov as he was written--as that Dolokhov was Athos pushed somewhat to the dark side. So, of course you cast Tom Burke, since he already seems to have such a good handle on the character.

Not sure where to put this, so will put it here ... new season has just started on Showcase here in Canada.

Is that season three? I know it's been airing for a few weeks already in Turkey - the BBC pushed it back in their own schedule, I think to either the summer or autumn slot, but since it was already sold abroad that means probably quite a few countries might get the new season before we do in the UK!

Is that season three? I know it's been airing for a few weeks already in Turkey - the BBC pushed it back in their own schedule, I think to either the summer or autumn slot, but since it was already sold abroad that means probably quite a few countries might get the new season before we do in the UK!

It is season three.  Makes me sad as I've been reading it's the last one.  No spoilers, but will say it's lovely having the guys back on my tv!  Still looking great!

• Love 1

It is season three.  Makes me sad as I've been reading it's the last one.  No spoilers, but will say it's lovely having the guys back on my tv!  Still looking great!

If so, I wish Showcase would post information about it. Since it hasn't aired in the BBC yet, most of the S3 information is sparse.

S3 will begin soon though because the official news of the cancellation has been reported this past week.

The Facebook page for the show indicates that S3 intends to air late May. Secondly, they have heard word that Hulu will be airing it instead of BBCA.

Was there a reason given for canceling it? It just seems odd to renew a show then cancel it before the next season even premieres. Or was it always intended to be three seasons?

Reports indicate that the BBC cancelled the show ahead of S3 production. They renewed it to cancel it which at least means the writers were able to write a good ending.

My own speculation about the cancellation: the show was intended as a period piece replacement for Merlin. I think it would have worked except BBC seemed to have lost faith in it once Capaldi left to do Doctor Who. The show is more expensive to produce than their other shows as well. Instead of really marketing it up or going ahead, they didn't think the ratings in S2 really warranted it going forward either. It's sad and not that well managed by BBC. I think the show could have done a couple more series too if they gave it more of a chance.

• Love 2

charis, can I ask where you got the info? I've been searching all over and can't find anything about anything. So frustrating!

Sorry for not replying, ABay -- I get most of my information secondhand (people reposting news links or official show Twitter comments or the like) off Tumblr, and since I check that on my phone and this site on my desktop at work, it's hard to join the two up.

And I'm with Athena -- I think there's a lot wasted potential in the show that could've been mitigated even after Capaldi left, especially with the solid cast they had, but that never seems to have manifested. I haven't heard specifics as to why they decied to cancel (though IIRC UK shows typically have a 3-season contract for the cast, so that may have been a factor), but I know they were having issues with the ratings. The marketing for this season really feels as if they'd already phoned it in -- migratory release dates, the show releasing abroad before it did in the UK, Hulu rather than cable in the US. (The whole thing is apparently already out on Latin American Netflix too, just for extra chaos. It's ... kind of fascinating to watch as a lesson in what not to do?)

• Love 1

Didn't the BBC also change what day it aired on from S1 to 2? It sounds like they weren't helping the ratings by doing that. And now they've waited till May to finish out the series, when S1 and 2 had aired in the winter. It seems to have been ruined by the scheduling.

Didn't the BBC also change what day it aired on from S1 to 2? It sounds like they weren't helping the ratings by doing that. And now they've waited till May to finish out the series, when S1 and 2 had aired in the winter. It seems to have been ruined by the scheduling.

Yes. Season one aired on a Sunday night at 9pm - the programme makers had been told to expect an 8pm slot and pitched the content accordingly. For season two they knew they'd be airing after the watershed, so altered the content to suit the slightly later timeslot...but although it did still air at 9pm, it was moved from Sunday to Friday, for no clear reason. And now season three has been put back until who knows when! Awful treatment by the Beeb - and such a fun little show, it really deserved better.

• Love 1

The episode information has recently been put up online; there were none when I checked a couple weeks ago. I put up the first three episode threads which have aired or one that will air soon in Canada.  I was not sure which episode date to use at first since it's basically airing internationally before BBC Does. Since we have Showcase Canada viewers, we will go Canadian. 

• Love 1

Athos, Porthos and D'Artagnan are fighting on the battlefront while Aramis has trouble living in contemplation as a monk. The Musketeers' search for missing gunpowder lead them to follow bandits to Aramis' monastery, where circumstance force them to collaborate to save the monastery's children and brothers. Aramis' finally accepts his true calling as a Musketeer and rejoins his brothers-in-arms in Paris.

Aired on Showcase Canada April 10, 2016.

The corrupt Governor of Paris conspires with the Duke de Beaufort, primary provider of food for Paris, to stage a robbery of the city's granary and pin it on the refugees, only to later sell the stolen grain back to the King at an inflated price. D'Artagnan is taken captive along with the rioting refugees, and the other Musketeers (along with D'Artagnan's wife Constance, now in charge of the Musketeer garrison) must rescue them from the hands of the Red Guard before they are executed.

Aired Showcase Canada April 17, 2016.

• Love 1

King Louis tasks the Musketeers with bringing his exiled brother, the Duke of Orléans, back to Paris in order to mend bridges. On the way, the Duke is robbed of dangerous letters which could destroy Orléans. The Duke informs the corrupt Governor of this, and the Governor's Red Guard must race the Musketeers in the hunt for the thief.

Aired Showcase Canada April 24, 2016.

King Louis' sister, Queen of England Henrietta Maria, is robbed of invaluable crown jewels (destined to be sold to finance England's armed forces) while on her way to Paris to ask her brother for assistance in the upcoming war. The Musketeers quickly discover the thief to be Émile Bonnaire, a flamboyant but pathetic criminal they have had history with in the past. Athos, Porthos and D'Artagnan pressure Bonnaire into leading them to the diamonds' buyers to recover them. Meanwhile, Aramis reconnects with Pauline, a childhood friend he grew up with in a bordel where their mothers lived and worked. She is set to marry a French nobleman but is being blackmailed by someone threatening to reveal the circumstances of her childhood, and Aramis tries to resolve the situation peacefully.

Showcase Canada: May 1, 2016.

(edited)

I enjoyed the episode, and thought it was a good beginning for the season.  Did D'Artagnan marry Constance last season, or did that happen offscreen?

I liked the Aramis story in the monastery with the kids.  One problem I'm having is that too many of the new characters look alike, so it's hard for me to follow some scenes.   Rupert Everett's character seems to be the new antagonist, with more vulnerability than Capaldi or Warren's characters. 

I was disappointed that there was so little Queen Anne and almost no King Louis.

When Feron said to the queen that she doesn't look Spanish, I wanted her to say that's because I'm a Hapsburg and we're German.  In that Versailles series last year,  the blond Hapsburg queen had dark hair, and the dark haired English princess was a blonde.   Maybe they weren't expecting historians to watch.

Edited by atomationage
(edited)

They seemed to be going topically modern with the refugee crisis.  King Louis doesn't look like much fun this year.  I wonder if Aramis is also going to be the father of the next heir.   

There are a couple of actors from Misfits this season, Matthew McNulty and Matt Stokoe, we've got a bastard son of Henry IV.  Some of the others aren't even listed in the IMDB yet. 

Edited by atomationage
(edited)

Ok, my first post in the new forums. I'm still rather confused. I seem to get notifications from a show I don't follow while I missed this one!

I liked it too. Although the setup was a bit on the nose. Let me introduce to you: Dun dun dun duuuuun.....the villain of this season!

Some subtlety would have been nice. Still, overall, a nice starter.

And man I always forget how incredibly beautiful Santiago Cabrera is. I'm not sure how that happens.

Porthos was NOT going to make it easy on Aramis to get back together after the breakup.

I think the comment "sometimes, you don't look Spanish" was less meant as a comment on how she looks and more about how she does not look like an enemy sometimes." I loved her reply.

To be honest, after last season, I don't need that much Louis. I miss Ryan Gage but the writing for him was atrocious.

Edited by supposebly
  • Love 1

Is it just me or does the writing, plotting, and direction seem.....sloppier than before? Not that this show was ever high art but there were quite a few things that took me out of the scenes. Like the woman leaving the piece of paper conveniently for Athos to find, Louis telling Anna the four Musketeers are back. Are they all of a sudden the only ones left? Controlling villain number 2, I can't remember his name who basically tells them that he is the other guy behind it all. There might be a point to it but for someone who is portrayed as controlling (although I'm not sure we've actually seen that), that seems reckless. I also don't get the slo-mo whenever he shows up. It's not really doing anything but the music tells me it's ominous.

And the posing scene at the end.....oh my. 

• Love 1

I'm starting to wonder if this show will end with the uprising of the Musketeers against whoever might succeed Louis. A lot in this episode and the previous ones seem to foreshadow it. The thousands of soldiers, the general atmosphere of discontent. It might make sense since considering everything, the Musketeers really never have anything to say in their defense for the king, despite the oath they swore. In most of the plots, the character of Louis is mainly saved because there is always someone much worse than him. Like his brother, this time.

Rupert Everett is chewing the scenery like it's a big wonderful apple pie and his name is actually Dean Winchester. His limping, creepy, drug-addled take on this character is hilarious.

I guess now that Athos might have a new girlfriend, Milady might show up any time now.

• Love 2
On 5/1/2016 at 11:29 AM, atomationage said:

I enjoyed the episode, and thought it was a good beginning for the season.  Did D'Artagnan marry Constance last season, or did that happen offscreen?

Towards the end of 2x10, if I recall correctly -- they had little scenes for both the wedding and the morning after, but IIRC both were relatively low-key.

• Love 1

So far they haven't spent much time on location at any of those cool looking castles and places in the Czech Republic, so it seems darker than before.  I thought it was nicer when they found a good location for each episode, and filmed there. 

Louis telling Anna the four Musketeers are back.

Aramis is back, so it's time for them to get busy making a brother for little Louis.

(edited)

They are setting up for the end of Louis XIII.  If this is the last season, they might as well set up Anne as a regent with Mazarin showing up by the end.  She is always portrayed as the good one. 

Edited by atomationage
(edited)

Hooray!  The return of James Callis!   Unfortunately he had to deliver some of his lines upside down.   IMO, this was the best episode this year so far.   If Bonnaire was her gardener, then he planted the silver bells, cockle shells, and pretty maids all in a row for Mary Mary Quite Contrary.  I laughed more at this episode than in most comedies. 

Edited by atomationage
  • Love 1