Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E15: Family Matters

• Start Topic

Sarper's attempts to win over Shekinah's sister go awry; Kim is out of the loop at her own wedding; Brandan asks Mary's grandfather for permission to marry her; Daniele learns that Yohan has a different understanding of their marriage.

• Like 2

Kimberly is SOOOOOOO aggravating all the time. I don’t know how TJ stands it. I was giving her grace last episode because she said her stomach was upsetting her (I’m a huge baby when I’m sick), but it wasn’t just that. And then today all she did was whine about how she didn’t know what was going on- she didn’t PREPARE before she flew over there to marry him about what was expected of her?

• Like 6
  • Applause 3

Sarper and Shekinah:

Why would anyone want to be in a relationship with someone they don't trust, or with someone that doesn't trust them? 

You chose to be in a relationship with someone who claims to have hooked up with 2500 women, and you think the only way to ensure you're their one and only is to tell them they can't have any female clients, you're going to go through their phone to make sure they never chat with or respond to any other women, and you find a collection of empty liquor or wine bottles threatening.

Why do you want to live that way? 

Relationships are hard enough. Partnering with someone you don't trust, you think you need to watch all the time, check up on, control who they can talk to, look at, work with, and what you'll allow them to collect — sounds exhausting and more than a little controlling

If your answer is you'd be like that with anyone you're in a relationship with, that's not a "them" problem; it's a "you" problem. Get some therapy and work that out because you're never going to have a satisfying relationship with anyone until you do.

Brandon and Mary:

Did these two not know unprotected sex can result in pregnancy? The mind boggles. Condoms are sold in the Philippines.

Mary had "baby fever". So what! Part of being an adult is knowing you can't always have what you want when you want it. She's 22! Unemployed! No money for food and utilities, living in a house built with Brandon's money. Just a couple of weeks before Brandon told her he was almost out of money, and asked her whether they could borrow some money from Lolo to pay some bills. (I don't recall if he said what those bills were; was it for utilities?)

Babies add to the bills, not decrease them. If Brandon doesn't have money to pay the bills they have now, and he's not able to work, how are they going to support a baby who needs food, clothing, fresh water, medical care, etc.?

Mary saying what she, her grandparents, and the baby need doesn't make the money for those things magically materialize. I understand why Brandon is shutting down; Mary is all demands but no solutions. They got themselves into this mess, and neither one has any idea how to get out of it.

Babies deserve better than "It'll all work out." 

Daniele and Yohan:

Yes, Daniele pulled a bait and switch on Yohan. That was wrong. Her reasoning for deciding they should stay in the D.R. was sound, but she had a moral obligation to tell Yohan about the change, what influenced her decision, and gotten him on board before they married.

That being said, there have been several cast members of the various 90 Day Fiance franchise series many of the posters believed were seeking green cards, and I usually disagreed. But I'm convinced that's the only reason Yohan married Daniele. Even now he's trying to find a way to wrangle a green card so he can go to the U.S. and if he succeeds I suspect shortly after arriving in the U.S. he'll disappear, never to be seen or heard from by Daniele ever again. 

Plan B is exactly what Daniele thinks it is; convincing Daniele to buy a house he can rent out (and probably use himself to get away from her), and a car so he can spend his days cruising around. Then, anything else he can get out of her he can wave in front of his friends to show them how he "got over" on a rich American woman and now he doesn't have to work his ass off every day just to survive. 

• Like 5
  • Applause 9

Very few responses.  Kim is so angry and demanding all the time.  She’s exhausting.  I FF through Danielle and Yohan.  Boring.  Kenny and Armando are cute but you don’t let your future be decided on by a kid.  

• Like 6
8 hours ago, anoninrva said:

I hate to defend Sarper, because I think he's an ass, but that meeting felt very confrontational.

I felt exactly the same way. I think he was trying but the whole thing was going to be an interrogation from the start. 

• Like 6
9 hours ago, TwirlyGirly said:

Partnering with someone you don't trust, you think you need to watch all the time, check up on, control who they can talk to, look at, work with, and what you'll allow them to collect — sounds exhausting and more than a little controlling

This x100. I actually felt bad for Sarper....he has said that Shrek is the first woman he really has loved and the first relationship that he has attempted to be faithful, etc. It is sad at his age, but ok, let's say we believe this, that he was a giant ho bag his whole life and is now trying to turn it around. At every turn, she is interrogating him and making demands for stupid shit as "proof" that he has changed and he loves her. WTF did her sister think she is to march in there making demands the very first night they met, in HIS home?? He was trying to be a gracious host, making a meal that is traditional and special to him, but from the second she walked in, she was interrogating him. Shrek, if at your age you need your family's approval and backup in relationships, maybe YOU are the issue. She should have had her man's back instead of jumping on the let's shit on Sarper bandwagon. She bitches that he is too controlling----she wants to control him. Again, I maintain this is all a game to her----if he gave into all her demands, she would just keep inventing new hurdles for him to jump over. 

Mary and Brandan....I just can't with the stupidity on full display. They may actually be worse than Paul and Karine in terms of maturity and intelligence. That poor baby. And he needs to use his translation app because she doesn't always do the best job. Next week his now clean and sober mom shows up and he is worried she won't like his life there....uh, I am sorry, but I think that would be a HUGE leap for ANYONE coming from a developed country. Does he forget how shocked HE was when he showed up? At least he built them a nice home and his mom isn't showing up to the hovel poor Sheila had when David first arrived. 

Yohan and Danielle....I believe him that she said what he wanted to hear to get him to marry her and has now pulled a bait and switch. He was all about the green card, she could tell, but spun a web of lies to keep him and his huge dick on the hook. Now he is desperately trying to figure out how he can still get a green card or even a visa to go to the US......

• Like 6
19 minutes ago, Stuckathome said:

This x100. I actually felt bad for Sarper....he has said that Shrek is the first woman he really has loved and the first relationship that he has attempted to be faithful, etc. It is sad at his age, but ok, let's say we believe this, that he was a giant ho bag his whole life and is now trying to turn it around. At every turn, she is interrogating him and making demands for stupid shit as "proof" that he has changed and he loves her. WTF did her sister think she is to march in there making demands the very first night they met, in HIS home?? He was trying to be a gracious host, making a meal that is traditional and special to him, but from the second she walked in, she was interrogating him. Shrek, if at your age you need your family's approval and backup in relationships, maybe YOU are the issue. She should have had her man's back instead of jumping on the let's shit on Sarper bandwagon. She bitches that he is too controlling----she wants to control him. Again, I maintain this is all a game to her----if he gave into all her demands, she would just keep inventing new hurdles for him to jump over. 

I am reminded of someone like Warren Beatty, who played the field for ages and then finally found someone he wanted to settle down with. Sarper is no prize but he was trying. 

I felt bad for him too. 

Edited by libgirl2
  • Like 5
10 hours ago, Meowwww said:

Kim is so angry and demanding all the time

She was whining about not know what was going on.  Has she ever heard of Google?  She could have educated herself on what the rituals mean etc.  If it was important enough to her she would have done the research.  Instead, she chooses to sit and complain to anyone willing to listen.

Why is he marrying her?

1 hour ago, libgirl2 said:

I actually felt bad for Sarper

Add me to that list.  I hate when women bring their GF or sisters to meet the "Man of their Dreams", only to have said GF or Sister interrogate the poor guy.  Sarper may have been a Fuck Boy but Shrek does not look like an Angel either.  He could have his buddies come over and make comments that Shrek is not as pretty as the women he normally bangs.........er...dates.

• Like 11
9 minutes ago, gaPeach said:

She was whining about not know what was going on.  Has she ever heard of Google?  She could have educated herself on what the rituals mean etc.  If it was important enough to her she would have done the research.  Instead, she chooses to sit and complain to anyone willing to listen.

Why is he marrying her?

Add me to that list.  I hate when women bring their GF or sisters to meet the "Man of their Dreams", only to have said GF or Sister interrogate the poor guy.  Sarper may have been a Fuck Boy but Shrek does not look like an Angel either.  He could have his buddies come over and make comments that Shrek is not as pretty as the women he normally bangs.........er...dates.

I put more research into where we are going to have dinner when we go on vacation then she did with her OWN wedding! I don't get why he is marrying her either. 

• Like 11
  • LOL 2
Just now, libgirl2 said:

I put more research into where we are going to have dinner when we go on vacation then she did with her OWN wedding! I don't get why he is marrying her either. 

He's in love with the idea of marrying an American. Has he told her yet exactly what will be required of her (i.e. getting up before dawn to brew everyone's Chai, cooking all the meals, doing everyone's laundry, etc)? If she's this unpleasant now, wait until the other shoe drops.

Shekinah's sister was awful, but that meal looked disgusting. Raw meat and grains mixed with someone's ungloved hand? Yecccch. Having said that, it obviously was deeply personal to Sarper and you see his growing frustration with the way he was being cross-examined. I'd be willing to bet Shekinah or her sister wouldn't want him dancing through their DMs (unless they'd already scrubbed theirs beforehand).

• Like 4
10 minutes ago, Stuckathome said:

WTF did her sister think she is to march in there making demands the very first night they met, in HIS home?? He was trying to be a gracious host, making a meal that is traditional and special to him, but from the second she walked in, she was interrogating him.

Shariyah's interrogation of Sarper can be summed up as:

"If you refuse to allow someone you just met to invade your privacy, you're hiding something!" 

Women probably DM Sarper asking about training with him, which both Shekinah and Shariyah would claim are really offers to hookup. 

Hey, Shekinah! There's a simple solution to the problem of Sarper having female clients; have him quit being a personal trainer, and you support him.

Everyone has a past. I don't think it's reasonable to expect your partner to erase/discard every bit of tangible evidence of their previous relationships, and frankly, I don't understand why some people are so threatened by that stuff. 

Everything we've experienced in past relationships -  the good and the bad - shaped who we are now. Those relationships ended, but we wouldn't want whatever lessons we learned from them to be forgotten, would we? Remembering those relationships doesn't mean we want to rekindle any of them.

The same applies to our partner. 

The women that preceded Shekinah in Sarper's life weren't relationships; they were hookups. I doubt Sarper would be able to pick one of his empty wine/liquor bottles in his collection at random, and recall who he shared it with.

Perhaps his collection serves as a reminder of the lifestyle he used to lead, and when he glances at it he thinks "That was fun while it lasted, but it was lonely, too. Having a woman to love and who loves me, and knowing the woman I wake up with in the morning is the same woman who will fall asleep in my arms that night is much more fulfilling than I ever imagined it could be."

Think twice before you demand he discard what may serve as a constant reminder of how much better his life is with you than it was with any of the women who came before you. 

• Like 3
28 minutes ago, Sir RaiderDuck OMS said:

Shekinah's sister was awful, but that meal looked disgusting. Raw meat and grains mixed with someone's ungloved hand? Yecccch. Having said that, it obviously was deeply personal to Sarper and you see his growing frustration with the way he was being cross-examined. I'd be willing to bet Shekinah or her sister wouldn't want him dancing through their DMs (unless they'd already scrubbed theirs beforehand).

I wouldn't want my husband of nearly 20 years going thru mine either! And I really don't have anything to hide, its just private. 

• Like 6
1 hour ago, Sir RaiderDuck OMS said:

Shekinah's sister was awful, but that meal looked disgusting. Raw meat and grains mixed with someone's ungloved hand? Yecccch. Having said that, it obviously was deeply personal to Sarper and you see his growing frustration

I also give him credit for not just exploding. I could feel the simmering anger as he mashed that mush. What WAS that? I mean, he did name it, but is it seriously served that way----raw??? I assumed when he said something about it being raw that it at least would be marinated or something to help kill off bacteria and give it flavor. Her sister even had to make a bitchy comment about the meal. Again, she wanted drama. She is just like her sister in that she wants to see how high she can get him to jump on command. When she said she was leaving, I am sure they both expected him to chase after her and apologize. For what---refusing to hand over the DMs? Women can send him all the DMs they want, the question is, does he respond? Does he flirt back? And yeah, I assume a good portion are with personal training clients. 

I bet Shrek has some unsavory DMs from men in her phone that she has kept just for this occasion. She wanted him to demand to see hers in exchange for his.....when he asks her about the men in her DMs she will start shrieking about how controlling he is, how these are unsolicited and look she showed him, she wasn't hiding them, etc. It is all a game. She is getting annoyed that he refuses to play. 

Edited by Stuckathome
  • Like 5
1 hour ago, TwirlyGirly said:

Women probably DM Sarper asking about training with him, which both Shekinah and Shariyah would claim are really offers to hookup. 

Hey, Shekinah! There's a simple solution to the problem of Sarper having female clients; have him quit being a personal trainer, and you support him.

it is how he pays the bills, so yea, pay his bills and then you can dictate what he does. 

11 minutes ago, Stuckathome said:

I also give him credit for not just exploding. I could feel the simmering anger as he mashed that mush. What WAS that? I mean, he did name it, but is it seriously served that way----raw??? I assumed when he said something about it being raw that it at least would be marinated or something to help kill off bacteria and give it flavor. Her sister even had to make a bitchy comment about the meal. Again, she wanted drama. She is just like her sister in that she wants to see how high she can get him to jump on command. When she said she was leaving, I am sure they both expected him to chase after her and apologize. For what---refusing to hand over the DMs? Women can send him all the DMs they want, the question is, does he respond? Does he flirt back? And yeah, I assume a good portion are with personal training clients. 

I would have lost it. 

• Like 4

Sarper may be an ass, playing Pygmalion on Shekinah to literally create his own arm candy, but I too felt badly for him the other night.  Here, the sister had a weekend in Istanbul!  I would have turned Sarper into a tour guide-the huge market, the Hagia Sophia, etc.  Never mind a Turkish lesson and Turkish food (though I think I'd somehow pass on the raw meat).  

But no, she had to be a confronting shrew Her sister's relationship, as unsavory as it might be, is none of her business.  I haven't cared for all of my in-laws, either my own or through Mr. Traveler, but I do my best, especially in their homes. Anyone who disses Mr. Traveler in our home is bounced. 

Sarper actually showed a tender side, explaining the significance of the food.  I really wonder if, behind the ass-ness, is actually a nice man.  Probably not, but we'll see.

The only one I feel for in Brandan and Mary is the baby, still months away from even being born.  No one has an income.  At least the house (on Brandan's dime) is several steps from Sheila's broken-down old home.  Brandan was immature to begin with and now just gives up, faced with problems that would slam anyone.  Maybe the best thing he could do is go back and work 2, 3 jobs (and for Pete's sake, no watching one another 24/7!)  As is so true, if you can't trust your partner, what is the point of even being with them?

I ff through Danielle and Johan.  Johan thought he could wheedle a green card out of this relationship, but he got played by an even bigger con!  Patrick said it all on PT: If I were the life coach, I'd say "Break up!".

Kimberly has been engaged for how long, lived in India for over a year, and never thought to Google the marriage ceremony and what happens?   She just whines to whine and will always be a whiner.  TJ is also in butt territory, but at least his brother tried to make amends.  Kim is awful.

• Like 8
1 hour ago, AR Traveler said:

Sarper may be an ass, playing Pygmalion on Shekinah to literally create his own arm candy, but I too felt badly for him the other night.  Here, the sister had a weekend in Istanbul!  I would have turned Sarper into a tour guide-the huge market, the Hagia Sophia, etc.  Never mind a Turkish lesson and Turkish food (though I think I'd somehow pass on the raw meat).  

But no, she had to be a confronting shrew Her sister's relationship, as unsavory as it might be, is none of her business.  I haven't cared for all of my in-laws, either my own or through Mr. Traveler, but I do my best, especially in their homes. Anyone who disses Mr. Traveler in our home is bounced. 

Sarper actually showed a tender side, explaining the significance of the food.  I really wonder if, behind the ass-ness, is actually a nice man.  Probably not, but we'll see.

The only one I feel for in Brandan and Mary is the baby, still months away from even being born.  No one has an income.  At least the house (on Brandan's dime) is several steps from Sheila's broken-down old home.  Brandan was immature to begin with and now just gives up, faced with problems that would slam anyone.  Maybe the best thing he could do is go back and work 2, 3 jobs (and for Pete's sake, no watching one another 24/7!)  As is so true, if you can't trust your partner, what is the point of even being with them?

I'm not sure on Sarper having a tender side but he did seem to want to show off his lovely country and the food he considers special. Like you, I would have a list of places I would want to visit, foods I want try, lots of shopping. I also wonder if he isn't as bad as we initially thought, but we will see. 

Brandan and Mary are a mess. What a sad and depressing life they are living. And it will only get worse. 

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Stuckathome said:

What WAS that? I mean, he did name it, but is it seriously served that way----raw???

I looked up the dish in Wikipedia using the Turkish name Sarper gave (which I have now forgotten) and it literally means "Raw Meatball." It's basically prepared the way Sarper was preparing it. There's also a vegetarian variety with scrambled eggs and a vegan option. But it's all mashed together and served raw.

No thank you.

• Like 3
Just now, Sir RaiderDuck OMS said:

I looked up the dish in Wikipedia using the Turkish name Sarper gave (which I have now forgotten) and it literally means "Raw Meatball." It's basically prepared the way Sarper was preparing it. There's also a vegetarian variety with scrambled eggs and a vegan option. But it's all mashed together and served raw.

No thank you.

Its not much different than what I remember my dad eating when I was a kid, a hackepeter sandwich. I wouldn't eat it. I don't even like my burgers rare, but in some places they do eat it that way. Think steak tartare. 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Stuckathome said:

I could feel the simmering anger as he mashed that mush. What WAS that? I mean, he did name it, but is it seriously served that way----raw??? I assumed when he said something about it being raw that it at least would be marinated or something to help kill off bacteria and give it flavor. 

Sarper was making a variation of kibbeh called kibbeh nayyeh:

"Kibbeh nayyeh  is a raw dish made from a mixture of bulgur, very finely minced lamb or beef similar to steak tartare, and Levantine spices, served on a platter, frequently as part of a meze in Lebanon and Syria, garnished with mint leaves and olive oil, and served with green onions or scallions, green hot peppers, and pita/pocket bread or markouk bread. 

Because kibbeh nayyeh is raw, it requires high-quality meat to prepare and has been seen as a traditional way to honor guests." 

Sarper was mixing in rice instead of bulgur, and although I can't be sure I think he was using ground lamb, not beef. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Useful 3
16 minutes ago, TwirlyGirly said:

Sarper was making a variation of kibbeh called kibbeh nayyeh:

"Kibbeh nayyeh  is a raw dish made from a mixture of bulgur, very finely minced lamb or beef similar to steak tartare, and Levantine spices, served on a platter, frequently as part of a meze in Lebanon and Syria, garnished with mint leaves and olive oil, and served with green onions or scallions, green hot peppers, and pita/pocket bread or markouk bread. 

Because kibbeh nayyeh is raw, it requires high-quality meat to prepare and has been seen as a traditional way to honor guests." 

Sarper was mixing in rice instead of bulgur, and although I can't be sure I think he was using ground lamb, not beef. 

I grew up eating kibbe (quipe) in the DR. I never realized it wasn't a Dominican dish  until I was much older. Ours is not raw though. It is delicious. I bet Yohan and Danielle eat them 😁

Anytime you are going to serve a raw meat, it has to be high quality. 

So with him making that, he was trying to honor her as his guest. At least he tried. 

Edited by libgirl2
  • Like 5
8 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

So with him making that, he was trying to honor her as his guest. 

Yup, and as the saying goes:

"No good deed goes unpunished." 

That being said, one way to get around the issue of Shekinah and Shariyah eating the kibbeh nayyeh and possibly getting ill would have been to say something like this to Sarper:

"Most Americans have never eaten any kind of meat raw; it's not a part of our diet. So our digestive and immune systems were never 'trained' to process the types of bacteria found naturally on raw meat like yours were.

As delicious as that looks, if we were to eat it we'd become very sick. I know some variations of kibbeh are fried or baked, so would it be possible for you to bake some of this for us to eat? We really want to try it, but I know you'd feel terrible if we ate it raw and had to go to the hospital."

• Like 5
  • Love 1
5 minutes ago, TwirlyGirly said:

Yup, and as the saying goes:

"No good deed goes unpunished." 

That being said, one way to get around the issue of Shekinah and Shariyah eating the kibbeh nayyeh and possibly getting ill would have been to say something like this to Sarper:

"Most Americans have never eaten any kind of meat raw; it's not a part of our diet. So our digestive and immune systems were never 'trained' to process the types of bacteria found naturally on raw meat like yours were.

As delicious as that looks, if we were to eat it we'd become very sick. I know some variations of kibbeh are fried or baked, so would it be possible for you to bake some of this for us to eat? We really want to try it, but I know you'd feel terrible if we ate it raw and had to go to the hospital."

Wonderfully said. You show that you are honored and can back out without insulting your host. 

• Like 2
18 hours ago, TwirlyGirly said:

Brandan asks Mary's grandfather for permission to marry her; 

Since Mary is between 22 and 25 there's the legal requirement to advise her parents of the intent to marry. From 18 to 21 consent is needed. If there's any paperwork annulment it normally would come from an underage or bigamy case.

• Useful 4
19 hours ago, TwirlyGirly said:

sounds exhausting and more than a little controlling

Yeah it sounds like the sisters are more controlling than Sarper lol.  They just don’t want any resistance.

19 hours ago, TwirlyGirly said:

No money for food and utilities,

Hey they sold one individual portion of shampoo.

• Like 2
  • LOL 1
6 hours ago, TwirlyGirly said:

Perhaps his collection serves as a reminder of the lifestyle he used to lead,

Some guys used to collect empty beer cans.  He may just like the different bottles and not see them as trophies of past conquests.

4 hours ago, libgirl2 said:

Think steak tartare. 

And people seem to have no problem with sushi now but when it was relatively new to American palates people said yuck.  Now it’s in grocery stores.

• Like 2
  • Useful 2
1 hour ago, MrBuhBye said:

Some guys used to collect empty beer cans.  He may just like the different bottles and not see them as trophies of past conquests.

When my sister and future BIL were in college, BIL collected beer cans and stacked them against one long wall in the living room of his apartment, creating a beer can wall.

Then one day when my sister left his apartment to return to her dorm, she closed the front door behind her with a little too much force...

Took BIL a couple of weeks to recreate the wall. 

• LOL 4
9 minutes ago, TwirlyGirly said:

When my sister and future BIL were in college, BIL collected beer cans and stacked them against one long wall in the living room of his apartment, creating a beer can wall.

Then one day when my sister left his apartment to return to her dorm, she closed the front door behind her with a little too much force...

Took BIL a couple of weeks to recreate the wall. 

If you don’t rinse them well it smells of stale beer too.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Sir RaiderDuck OMS said:

The eagle-eyed Mrs. RaiderDuck noticed that the "shampoo" was labeled "Palmolive."

Do they maybe make shampoo? I know I have seen products in the DR that I don't normally associate with the brand names on them. 

ETA, there is a Palmolive shampoo! 

Edited by libgirl2
  • Like 1
  • Useful 2
15 hours ago, MrBuhBye said:

Hey they sold one individual portion of shampoo.

That is the actual market for a sari sari. Mostly it is just do your house work and if some kid comes by to get just enough stuff to finish cleaning for example you are close and sell single portions and then can go back to whatever you were doing at home. Nobody makes a living at it.

Edited by Raja
  • Like 3
On 10/16/2023 at 10:30 PM, TwirlyGirly said:

But I'm convinced that's the only reason Yohan married Daniele. Even now he's trying to find a way to wrangle a green card so he can go to the U.S. and if he succeeds I suspect shortly after arriving in the U.S. he'll disappear, never to be seen or heard from by Daniele ever again. 

I hope he succeeds and leaves that little twat penniless.

• Like 1
  • LOL 3
16 hours ago, MrBuhBye said:

He may just like the different bottles and not see them as trophies of past conquests.

Or they are filming in a rental/air bnb lol and he never even noticed them there, hahaha! I know that this is most likely his real apt (the bed drama), but it would be funny if it was an airbnb and she interrogated him over some true Bs

• Like 2
  • Useful 2

Istanbul has fantastic food, and the vast majority is stuff that would not violate any American expectations. The raw meatball situation was totally producer shenanigans. It's a real dish, but nobody who speaks English like Sarper would be unaware that it's an acquired taste from a US point of view. It's never a coincidence on this show when the main course just happens to be wriggling octopus, organ meats, etc.

Brandan, Mary, and Lolo were having a misery-face contest, and nobody won. Including us.

• Like 1
  • Useful 3
On 10/17/2023 at 11:43 AM, Sir RaiderDuck OMS said:

No thank you.

Well the results would be revenge to the sister. I’d have to lie and say I’m vegetarian. Gross. 

• Like 1
On 10/17/2023 at 3:53 PM, Raja said:

Since Mary is between 22 and 25 there's the legal requirement to advise her parents of the intent to marry. From 18 to 21 consent is needed. If there's any paperwork annulment it normally would come from an underage or bigamy case.

My son in law asked my permission to marry my daughter, just as a tradition, and she was 25 at the time. 

• Like 1
51 minutes ago, connieinnc said:

My son in law asked my permission to marry my daughter, just as a tradition, and she was 25 at the time. 

I agree its part of the culture but it should be noted that Brandan and Mary are dotting their legal i's and crossing their t's.