Type keyword(s) to search

The League - General Discussion

• Start Topic

It's kind of hard to say, with this show. Because there's not that much that happens that will have a lasting effect.

But I'd like to see Taco come down off his high again. I enjoy these guys being assholes to one another, but something about the way they forced Taco to get high again because he was a threat to their little comfort zone? Really grossed me out. And I liked sober Taco too.

Can I say more of Jenny in her bikini? And more of Sofia in general, because I feel like she's underused, and I like the fact she does actually seem to love Ruxin.

• Love 1

I so enjoy Taco when he's making up songs. I think my favorites were Pete's little tiny erect dick and Fear Boner. I laugh out loud ever time I hear them. Oh, can't forget how the daughter was made sung at her birthday party.

• Love 1

He's best in small doses, but Rafi episodes always make me laugh until I cry.  I can't even pick a favorite moment of his - I think it might be everything he does in the episode where Ruxin is in the hospital after having the stoke.  Jason Manzoukis is just perfect in the role.

I also like whenever you can see the actual actors laughing with each other as opposed to the characters - in the Bobbum Man episode, when they're all sharing their creepy characters, it seems like the actors are genuinely cracking each other up.  

I will say, and I think I might be alone on this - I can't stand Jenny.  I always think of that quote from Gone Girl:

She’s a cool girl. Being the Cool Girl means I am a hot, brilliant, funny woman who adores football, poker, dirty jokes, and burping, who plays video games, drinks cheap beer, loves threesomes and anal sex, and jams hot dogs and hamburgers into her mouth like she’s hosting the world’s biggest culinary gang bang while somehow maintaining a size 2, because Cool Girls are above all hot.

There's just a level of smug on her that turns me off.

Edited by Princess Sparkle
  • Love 4

I got the sense that their budget was limited, so they limited the regular cast members.

So Jenny was the only female regular cast member.

Maybe FX increases their budget.

And more of Sofia in general, because I feel like she's underused, and I like the fact she does actually seem to love Ruxin.

I really wish they would use her more, just because I think Nadine Velazquez is a very good comedic actress (better than Katie Aselton, IMO) - she used to be one of my favorite parts of My Name is Earl. If we can't get her and Ruxin together, I'd take more interactions between her and Rafi, just to see how those two ended up coming from the same family.  One of my favorite scenes from the whole series is Rafi teaching Sofia and her friends self-defense.

• Love 1

I enjoy when the group is collectively tasteless. The sitting shiva/draft looked like a ton of fun. I don't know how much was ad libbed, but they all looked like they were just tearing into it.

I actually like when the players make a cameo. Watt is actually pretty funny as a straight man to the groups antics. 

I thought the draft was sweet, especially how they made sure to take care of Ted's picks. Teflondre was also a nice twist. 

The only regret I have is that they've telegraphed the Shiva winner so badly (it'll have to be whoever they recruit to take Ted's spot), but otherwise lots of laughing from me. 

I just started watching this show after participating in my own (analog, they're old school in Fargo) fantasy draft on Sunday. So glad I tuned in because OMG. I think I'm in love. I mean, they killed off my beloved Adam Brody and I still watched!

I will agree though, I liked Jenny at first but she kind of got annoying. Although I did appreciate that she also shook her head when JJ Watt was all, (paraphrasing) "Can you guys NOT be idiots for one moment?"

It's funny, but the character I find least appealing is actually Pete. He comes across as someone who's trying to be a Nice Guy, but is secretly an asshole, and I feel like the show pushed him as the protagonist early on, but it didn't really work.

Yes, even Ruxin is more likeable than Pete, to me.

Anyway, this was a fun episode (and it was Pete-light), because it's always great fun when the gang do something truly tasteless and awful, in the name of their obsession with fantasy football. I'll never get tired of 'Taco drafts guys who are no longer in the NFL' jokes, but at least this time he actually knew who Ochocinco played for, and still drafted him. But he also managed to get Calvin Johnson and Julio Jones, so not completely useless.

Little gags like Cameron Jordan/Jordan Cameron really sell this show as one made by fans of the NFL and fans of fantasy football. But I wish they'd keep the player cameos to a minimum. JJ Watt was pretty good, but the others were as wooden and awkward as most non-actors tend to be when thrust into stuff like this (though Jay Cutler was funny. Probably because he didn't give a crap)

Jenny is sexy, but I agree she is a bit annoying. I do think she's supposed to be though, like they all are in their different ways.

Taco's latest invention of Street Golf was inspired. That guy really is an entrepreneur! Still wish they'd let him stay sober, though.

I didn't hate it as much as other's did, but mostly for the guys' reluctance in giving Andre's slam's their props but giving them anyway. The rest of it was lame, but we'll have to see where the season goes.

I did think Russell's wine descriptions were funny, though.

Not a great episode, but there were some funny bits.

I didn't care for the 'kid uses testosterone cream and hits puberty a decade early' gag. Too silly, even for this show. Andre reverting to his terrible cockney accent and useless insults the minute he couldn't hear Jay Glazer was amusing, and I always like Taco. So his Tacocorp board of directors was a great little bit, as was the one guy drowning in a sewer, where he insisted on living because he liked playing with toy boats.

Rob Riggle was amusing enough, as his usual overpowering douche character. He works in small doses, which the writers of this show clearly understood.

It's kind of hard to say, with this show. Because there's not that much that happens that will have a lasting effect.

But I'd like to see Taco come down off his high again. I enjoy these guys being assholes to one another, but something about the way they forced Taco to get high again because he was a threat to their little comfort zone? Really grossed me out. And I liked sober Taco too.

Somehow I missed the episode last season where Taco got sober temporarily, and finally watched it - you're right; it was super gross that they made him get high again.  And weirdly, even though I was happy that Andre was part of the group, I was most disappointed that he went along with it.

I want sober Taco - he was cracking me up.  "Guys, I am not a catch."

• Love 2

Wow, that was one of the least funny episodes of anything I have ever watched. Took me three tries to get through it. It was sort of like a Cheech & Chong movie with bits of Stripes, all within a Cuckoo's Nest setting. Stripes at least was funny. This show is less and less funny.

Edited by Ottis
  • Love 1

I have to say, I hate holding hands too, but because it strikes me as pretty childish. Like, walking and holding hands. But, I came up with a cool alternative: I have the woman take my arm instead. It's much more stylish. They actually like it. 

As low brow as it was, dickerus was a pretty funny, and the antics in the flower shop. Although I don't think going without underwear is that big of a deal. NV is hilarious and Sophia is just not on the show enough. 

I never had a hot tub. Why would it be tied into the plumbing? Wouldn't it have it's own filter system like a regular pool? The hot tub would need a pump to circulate the water, no? 

Hubby and I somehow just discovered this show and have started from the beginning on Netflix. We honestly haven't laughed as hard at a TV show...ever...that I can remember. They had us and our warped inappropriate sense of humor at "Special Needs Harry Potter." 

And yes! Taco showing up in Kevin's window as Mr. McGiblets with the cleaver was such a brilliantly simple and hilarious visual.

Anna Camp was really funny and looked really good. I don't think I could have thrown her under the bus to prank Andre. There's just so many opportunities to prank him.

I do like how Kevin and Jenny aren't that great parents, because no one really is great. I don't know if they were improvising the doctor scene but when Jenny asked if the kid when to Brown, and the doctor said yes, it looked like KA just broke up and had to cover her mouth. Though I don't know why Jenny wouldn't tell Kevin she put the samples in the freezer. Obviously, plot.

I'm wondering if the actors were trying to make a point about saying shit v saying pussy on tv. Because they said shit a ton and only pussy twice.