Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E10: Big, Big Love

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

Wedding bells ring, and the remaining couples face a life-changing decision. Will they set aside their uncertainties or leave their partners in the lurch?

Original airdate 10/6/23

I watched that episode in under 20 minutes. There was no reason for it to be that long.

Lydia and Milton … I … guess? “I love you because you chose me” is not saying anything, but okay. Well, actually, it’s saying “I want to get married and I don’t care who it is.”

Stacy and Izzy weren’t a surprise. I think she thinks she’s too good for him and she just expected that he’d fall in line, and she seemed surprised that he didn’t. He was pissed - “this is why you’re 33 and single…” ouch! 

The real MVP is Izzy’s mom. What a warm, kind person.

Edited by Empress1
  • Like 8

So the rumor that Izzy signed up for season 2 of Perfect Match is probably true. Here's to your new career on reality tv, Izzy! I did like Stacie's dress. 

ETA: yeah, Lydia just wanted to get married to anybody. Take that, Uche! 

Edited by NeenerNeener
  • Like 2
4 hours ago, Empress1 said:

Lydia and Milton … I … guess? “I love you because you chose me” is not saying anything, but okay. Well, actually, it’s saying “I want to get married and I don’t care who it is.”

I literally laughed out loud when she said that. If anything defines their relationship, it's that.

• Like 5

She has her faults for sure but I can't help but feel like Stacy dodged a bullet. Izzy was a little too quick with those insults. He completely showed his ass, the age shaming was rich considering his situation. Good thing he has a very nice Mom to live with!

Milton & Lydia, snooze. 

This season was terrible. Why drag it out by not dropping the reunion today? 

• Like 3
  • Applause 2
  • Love 1
6 minutes ago, snarts said:

She has her faults for sure but I can't help but feel like Stacy dodged a bullet. Izzy was a little too quick with those insults. He completely showed his ass, the age shaming was rich considering his situation. Good thing he has a very nice Mom to live with!

Milton & Lydia, snooze. 

This season was terrible. Why drag it out by not dropping the reunion today? 

100%. It was a giant red flag when he tore into Johnnie and wouldn’t let it go. Not a fan of Johnnie but it said much more about him than it did her. Dude has nice guy syndrome. The slightest disagreement and he shows his true colours. Being a single woman isn’t a crime Lizzard. 

I giveLydia and Milton a year, she is exhausting.

Edited by sainte-chapelle
  • Like 5
  • Love 1

I’m no fan of Stacey but I thought she was perfectly kind at the altar. She was basically saying “Not yet”. Which is totally reasonable. And she didn’t do it in an embarrassing way or a cruel way, and it even sounded like she wanted to keep moving forward with their relationship (whether that’s a good idea is another issue, but I digress). Yet Izzy acted like she told him to go kick rocks. So dumb. 

• Like 8

Stacey did the sensible thing for sure.   She had some red flags about Izzy who does give off "looking for a sugar mama" vibes and wanted more time before deciding if they should get married.  Totally reasonable.

I felt like Milton got married just to spite his family.   Will see how long their marriage lasts.

• Like 4
On 10/13/2023 at 7:21 PM, sainte-chapelle said:

100%. It was a giant red flag when he tore into Johnnie and wouldn’t let it go. Not a fan of Johnnie but it said much more about him than it did her. Dude has nice guy syndrome. The slightest disagreement and he shows his true colours. Being a single woman isn’t a crime Lizzard. 

I giveLydia and Milton a year, she is exhausting.

Agreed about Izzy’s treatment of Johnnie but I also can’t forget how quickly Stacy jumped in and made it a whole mean girl situation.  I have never gotten a good vibe from Stacy and while Izzy may not have been there for the right reasons, she’s no prize herself.  She certainly wasn’t in any hurry to take off her wedding dress (seriously, after a failed wedding, who keeps the dress on not just for the post-fail interviews but also for the ride home?).

• Like 4
14 hours ago, marny said:

I’m no fan of Stacey but I thought she was perfectly kind at the altar. She was basically saying “Not yet”. Which is totally reasonable. And she didn’t do it in an embarrassing way or a cruel way, and it even sounded like she wanted to keep moving forward with their relationship (whether that’s a good idea is another issue, but I digress). Yet Izzy acted like she told him to go kick rocks. So dumb. 

Yes!  Stacy said that she wanted more time but did want to continue seeing Izzy, which, given that he'd just revealed the night before that he has serious financial problems, is perfectly reasonable.  And what does Izzy do?  Acts like a complete mitch and starts throwing around insults.  Of course he didn't want to give her more time to figure out their relationship.  He knew that if she had more time, she'd figure out how awful he is!  Does he even have a job?  Because his explanation for what he does for a living didn't sound very convincing.  Stacy wasn't my favorite but Izzy was a complete tool.

Milton and Lydia, guess we'll see.  Curious to see how they're doing at the reunion.  When they were at the altar and Milton hadn't answered yet, my husband's comment was, "Don't do it, my man.  He's too young to recognize all the crazy in those eyes."  LOL.  Who knows?  Maybe Mitton's chillness will even out Lydia's drama?  I mean, probably not but we can hope.  

On to the reunion!

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Stacy has every right to be cautious of moving forward due to Izzy's financial situation, but I also have to wonder what her credit situation would be like if her dad wasn't paying for her house and subsidizing her with a job at the family business.  As mentioned above, Izzy is no prize with his quick change attacks once something doesn't go in his favor, but I see Stacy as equally poisonous and looking for someone to replace her dad as the person who provides her the means to live the high life.  Maybe Izzy's credit wouldn't be so bad if he didn't date people who think they are too good for Chipotle.

None of these people (except maybe for Milton) are ready for a real marriage.  Stacy, Izzy and Lydia all talked about how the other person met their needs, rather than how they worked as a complementary couple.  

• Like 5

Wasn't surprised by the Stacy/Izzy non-marriage.  The run up to it was too smooth. They were lovey-dovey. No doubts were expressed except by her mom.  They seemed too ready.  There would have been no surprise if they had said yes.

Netflix is not dumb, they are not going to give us smooth sailing.  Even with Tiffany and Brett, who were probably the least drama couple throughout the entire franchise, they manufactured the drama before the wedding with the pants tailoring thing. 

So yeah, I wasn't surprised.  I just wasn't sure who was gonna say no. 

Regarding the finances thing: What exactly was Stacy's issue with Izzy's finances?  That he doesn't carry a credit card?  That his credit score was bad?  Or that he wasn't going to be able to spend a lot of money on her flying first class to Dubai whenever they got the itch?

Those two things are a bit different and goes beyond credit scores and into financial disparity.  And a Rich person marrying a poor person is a bit different than a marrying someone with a bad credit score.  Credit scores can be repaired over time.  But the ability to amass enough disposable income to live an affluent lifestyle isn't attainable for many people at any point in their life.  I feel like the narrative has about his credit score has been up played (never mind that one major disaster can happen in a very short time to ruin a credit score and we were never told exactly what ruined his credit) but her mercenary ways have been down played a bit.  As others have said, what would Stacy's financial profile look like if she didn't live off her dad?  I don't blame her for not wanting to marry him if money and or a specific type of lifestyle is that important to her.  You have to choose the person that will make you happy.  But I also don't blame him for being a bit blindsided by it if that hadn't been made clear that it was a deal breaker for her.

In other news, are we really surprised that Izzy is less than chivalrous when it comes to women?  Look at how nasty he was with Johnie for no reason.  And she didn't even dump him.

Was surprised by Milton and Lydia actually getting married.  I thought for sure Milton would do the math (ha!) and realize that maybe the equation wasn't adding up.  Someone on twitter said Milton got married to get away from the HR department that is his family.  LOL.

I would be very curious to see how long they last.  I don't dislike Lydia like I did at the start of the show.  I actually kinda feel bad for her in some ways because it sounds like she has had a lot of bad luck with men.  But I still don't think she and Milton work. 

Again, Milton with his friends are comedy gold.  I could watch just them riffing on each other for awhile.  They sound like they are fun to hang around. 

And finally, I am a bit surprised with how accepting his mom and sister were at the wedding.  I mean, I didn't expect Shelby levels of disdain but wasn't expecting the smiles and 'awws' either. 

• Like 4
3 hours ago, leocadia said:

I see Stacy as equally poisonous and looking for someone to replace her dad as the person who provides her the means to live the high life.

I think her dad wants to be replaced too, given how he looked when Stacy said no (although Izzy can’t support her).

30 minutes ago, DearEvette said:

Someone on twitter said Milton got married to get away from the HR department that is his family. 

His mom sure did have on a blazer and conducted an interview!

31 minutes ago, DearEvette said:

I actually kinda feel bad for her in some ways because it sounds like she has had a lot of bad luck with men. 

It did seem like Lydia has bad luck and/or makes bad choices. There was a point in the pods where she said she’d never been loved and she looked really sad. I’m not convinced she loves Milton; he may just be the first guy who treated her halfway nicely.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Empress1 said:

I think her dad wants to be replaced too, given how he looked when Stacy said no (although Izzy can’t support her).

I noticed that too and had to laugh!

Also, who walks down the aisle to "Ave Maria"?  Is that a thing?  Maybe they couldn't get the rights to whatever song was actually used, but I thought that was an odd choice.

• Like 1

I think Stacey's problem with Izzy wasn't that he doesn't have a credit card, or that he has a low credit score.

It's that when they discussed finances in the pods, he glossed over it.  Lying by omission.  

I'm no Stacey fan, but this would give me pause.

I think she's a mean girl who likes to watch her partner squirm.  She demeans and berates while he begs and pleads.  Eggshells forever.  

He can always get a higher credit score, but she'll be a hateful girl forever.

• Like 5
  • Applause 3
3 hours ago, leocadia said:

I noticed that too and had to laugh!

Also, who walks down the aisle to "Ave Maria"?  Is that a thing?  Maybe they couldn't get the rights to whatever song was actually used, but I thought that was an odd choice.

I think "Ava Maria" was played at some point during my wedding prior to me walking down the aisle.  When some of the wedding party were walking out or something.  We had a harpist and she gave us a list of songs to choose from and while I don't remember exactly what we picked, I do remember that "Ava Maria" was on the list.  So I guess it's a somewhat common choice?  

• Like 2
  • Useful 2

I thought Iz would say yes. I could tell Stacy was gunna say when she didn't immediately answer, "I do." Just boggles my mind they don't discuss their decisions beforehand. He put on a brave face at the altar, but after he turned her down, he got really real. The poor dear. I guess he shouldn't have hidden his bad credit. 😅