Type keyword(s) to search

S22.E02: Tad Overwhelming

• Start Topic

When the contestants must deliberate on which chef makes the best scallops, tensions run high; a rocky first dinner service for both teams involves raw meat and bad communication.

Airdate: 10/05/2023

A heads up to Chicago area viewers - the Bears/Commanders football game will be on FOX in the Hell's Kitchen timeslot. According to the TV Guide channel guide, Hell's Kitchen is scheduled to air tonight at 11 p.m. - exact time subject to change due to the length of the football game and post-game show.

Oh well, good bye Tad, you seem like a nice enough kid but you aren't up to this level of competition. I noticed that when GR sent him home he didn't give him any of the "don't give up" pep talk he often gives. Both teams sucked badly and both teams got sent out of the kitchen before finishing, so I wonder if the diners went home without getting complete dinners. I recorded this show and forgot to turn on closed captioning so I still have no idea what Ryan was saying, but he seems competent. The promo for next week shows GR having his life "put in danger" apparently because somebody's pan flared up. GR saves everybody's life by carrying the flaming pan across the kitchen then dumping it (still flaming) into a sink. I thought that correct procedure to deal with this is to immediately slap a cover on the pan to suffocate the fire, not go walking or running with a pan of flaming oil. I am also concerned about the sink. Flaming oil and water are a very bad combination. Whether there was water in the sink or he planned to run water into the pan, this is really dangerous; even if his plan was to let the oil burn off in the sink, there is not a hood over the sink to pull out the smoke and CO2 from the fire. Actually, if people were really in danger, shouldn't he have pulled the fire suppression over the fire belching pan? Okay, I am being unreasonable, expecting reasonable and appropriate measures (which every chef should know) to control a fire in a pan. Silly me.

Edited by DoctorK
  • Like 3

Jason is an ass..and delusional. Brad is a idiot. And Tad is...well gone. Wish Jason would have gone up. He thinks he didn't send up any raw/undercooked seafood? Really? Oh, I guess raw lobster and undercooked halibut don't count. I think it's funny that every time they show a close up of him he has such a sour bitchface going on.

And I found my first annoying chef on the red team - Carmen. Not enough salt...not enough salt...not enough salt. I was waiting for the other ladies to comment on her dish by saying "Carmen, your dish is too salty". Glad they didn't let her force her way into the top 3 dishes.

And kudos to both teams for each picking 3 dishes that Ramsay thought merited contention for the pass.

And it bugged me that they kept saying and acting like this was the worst first service ever. Do they not remember how the early seasons were?

• Like 7

Another wondering why the heck Jason wasn't put up for elimination.  Except that TPTB are probably wanting to keep him around because he's such a jerk.  And I still want to know why someone who's worked in Michelin star places is on this show without seemingly being able to poach lobster or cook fish properly.

Brad is no prize and neither was Tad but Jason screwed up as much and was totally in denial about.

Carmen is going to be a pest and both teams need to bone up on their communication skills for their stations.

4 hours ago, cameron said:

Wow, Oscar de la Hoya's girlfriend's face was really scary.  Too much fillers, etc.  Looked like it was frozen.

I noticed that as well.  She looked like a blow-up doll.  What folks do for cosmetic procedures is up to them but some can take it too far.

• Like 4
  • Applause 2
1 hour ago, Tango64 said:

Jason with the long, long highly impressive resume can't poach lobster in butter? 

Something doesn't feel right about Jason. I think he's a plant. Invited on the show for just this kind of drama. "Worked in Michelin star restaurants, can't do simple things correctly." When he recited his resume, and Gordon acted surprised, that was clearly fake.

10 hours ago, chicagofan said:

And it bugged me that they kept saying and acting like this was the worst first service ever. Do they not remember how the early seasons were?

It's the nature of all these shows that everything is "the worst ever."

4 hours ago, cameron said:

Wow, Oscar de la Hoya's girlfriend's face was really scary.  Too much fillers, etc.  Looked like it was frozen.

Somewhat off topic, but yeah, my reaction too. She's a young woman, and was probably beautiful before any of her procedures, so why?? I know this is not all that uncommon in our culture, but I just don't get it.

Finally, why the heck would they title this episode "A Tad Overwhelmed," therefore telegraphing that Tad was the one being eliminated before the show even started? Good job, producers. Way to eliminate any drama.

• Like 6
2 hours ago, bluepiano said:

Something doesn't feel right about Jason. I think he's a plant.

I wouldn't be at all surprised.  Or maybe he worked for years as a line cook and the reason he worked at so many places is that he kept getting fired.  He's obnoxious.

2 hours ago, bluepiano said:

Oscar de la Hoya's girlfriend

She was practically in his lap.  Who sits that close to someone when they're trying to eat?  I wonder if he rented her for the occasion.

• Like 3
  • LOL 3
1 hour ago, mlp said:

I wouldn't be at all surprised.  Or maybe he worked for years as a line cook and the reason he worked at so many places is that he kept getting fired.  He's obnoxious.

Most people with that type of experience have progressed to opening their own restaurants.  After hearing a demeaning comment from him (followed by his claim that "Hey, that's funny!"), I wonder whether he's been fired from all those jobs and hasn't (1) saved enough or (2) earned the references needed to go beyond getting hired.  Definitely something "off" about the experience he claims to have and the expertise he has demonstrated so far.

Edited by AZChristian
  • Like 6

I agree with above posters that Jason may have worked in so many kitchens because he keeps getting fired.  I thought his mistakes put the whole team in a bit of chaos from which some of the more inexperienced cooks could not recover.  Oh, and just a word of advice for giggling girl-when Gordon tells you to stop giggling, don't argue back with him.  I get that it was probably just a nervous reaction, but it did look like giggling.  Just stop and move forward.  Arguing with Gordon will never get you the win.

• Like 7
  • Applause 1
1 hour ago, mlp said:

She was practically in his lap.  Who sits that close to someone when they're trying to eat?  I wonder if he rented her for the occasion.

I've seen couples do that in restaurants before.  I've actually seen them, if they've been seated at a table for two across from each other, get up and go glue themselves to each other because apparently talking across the table is too much to bear for them.

• LOL 1
5 hours ago, milkyaqua said:

I've seen couples do that in restaurants before.  I've actually seen them, if they've been seated at a table for two across from each other, get up and go glue themselves to each other because apparently talking across the table is too much to bear for them.

I have hearing issues, and trying to carry out a conversation across a table in a restaurant with all the background noise is nearly impossible for me.  I often sit beside my husband in restaurants, rather than across from him.

But then, I'm 76.

Jason was so random with the STD comments, the other chefs were so stunned by them. Carmen was being a bit obnoxious with the salt.

While I do think that Jason should have probably been nominated over Brad, Tad was the right decision to go. GR seemed to really dislike him.

I do wonder if Jason's high number of places he has been working at is firing related. It might be. He was surprisingly bad for working at so many great places with 18 years experience.

• Like 2

Oscars girl stole the episode lol. She kept clutching his arm and wowwwww she has too much work done! She looks 90% silicone.

Jason is a pest and mean. Guess he is staying for a while.

Carmen needs more salt, girl bye.

I like goofy Tad and Brian.

Ryannnn I need to move to Ireland. Man is gorgeous!

• Like 2
On 10/6/2023 at 9:13 PM, xcrayon2215x said:

While I do think that Jason should have probably been nominated over Brad, Tad was the right decision to go. GR seemed to really dislike him.

I do wonder if Jason's high number of places he has been working at is firing related. It might be. He was surprisingly bad for working at so many great places with 18 years experience.

Methinks Ramsay was more than a little annoyed at Tad describing himself as "A professional Quidditch player." (Chef, please. Nobody's paying you to hop around with a broom clenched between your legs, pretending you're soaring around Hogwarts. And if nobody's paying you, you're not a professional. You just have an eccentric hobby.) Notice how when Tad waited a beat after elimination, GR sarcastically asked if he was waiting for a broom, then slammed Quidditch in his closing remarks.

Jason is a byproduct of our litigious culture. Many employers are afraid of being sued for Defamation if they give a bad reference, so few even give references anymore (they'll give your starting and ending dates, but that's it). Without anyone saying "This dude's a total screwup who can't even poach goddamn lobster meat", his resume looks impressive, so he keeps getting hired until people figure out he's hopeless and can him. Rinse and repeat.

Edited by Sir RaiderDuck OMS
  • Like 7

Regarding Jason and his work history. I recall reading how cheftestants in previous years had to undergo intense background checks (doubtful you'll see any ex-cons or deadbeat dads, for example) and psychological exams to ensure they aren't likely to snap and take a meat cleaver to their rivals in their sleep. There is absolutely no way that GR doesn't know the background details of every single one of these..."chefs" weeks or even months before the cameras switch on.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
7 hours ago, Sir RaiderDuck OMS said:

Methinks Ramsay was more than a little annoyed at Tad describing himself as "A professional Quidditch player." (Chef, please. Nobody's paying you to hop around with a broom clenched between your legs, pretending you're soaring around Hogwarts. And if nobody's paying you, you're not a professional. You just have an eccentric hobby.) Notice how when Tad waited a beat after elimination, GR sarcastically asked if he was waiting for a broom, then slammed Quidditch in his closing remarks.

Jason is a byproduct of our litigious culture. Many employers are afraid of being sued for Defamation if they give a bad reference, so few even give references anymore (they'll give your starting and ending dates, but that's it). Without anyone saying "This dude's a total screwup who can't even poach goddamn lobster meat", his resume looks impressive, so he keeps getting hired until people figure out he's hopeless and can him. Rinse and repeat.

I think the whole quidditch nonsense was manufactured drama.  Gordon isn't that old that he hasn't seen a Harry Potter movie, especially with all the children they have.  I'm considerably older than he is and I even know what the quidditch game is.

• Like 1

Watching this now on Hulu because show aired late.

I have a bone (pardon the pun) to pick with you, @seacliffsal! You neglected to mention that Gordon showed them how to shell scallops! Sure, he didn’t do a cooking demo, but how is this any different when she he’s slicing and cutting fish??! Eh? (Tapping foot).

I wonder if I write Gordon a looong letter begging, if he’ll have pity on me and come to my home to show me how to cook filet mignon? I’m allergic to seafood so that’s out.

No? So just continue to dream?

• LOL 1
9 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Watching this now on Hulu because show aired late.

I have a bone (pardon the pun) to pick with you, @seacliffsal! You neglected to mention that Gordon showed them how to shell scallops! Sure, he didn’t do a cooking demo, but how is this any different when she he’s slicing and cutting fish??! Eh? (Tapping foot).

I wonder if I write Gordon a looong letter begging, if he’ll have pity on me and come to my home to show me how to cook filet mignon? I’m allergic to seafood so that’s out.

No? So just continue to dream?

I am so so so sorry.  I just have no idea how I forgot to mention this.  Mea culpa...

So, let's make a deal, if either one of us can get Gordon to come to our houses we'll invite the other!

• Applause 1
On 10/5/2023 at 9:20 PM, DoctorK said:

Oh well, good bye Tad, you seem like a nice enough kid but you aren't up to this level of competition. I noticed that when GR sent him home he didn't give him any of the "don't give up" pep talk he often gives. 

I would say that it's typically not until we're in the top 10 chefs in HK/MC/NLC that he starts the "hold your head up high"/"don't give up on your food dream" speech. I can't say I remember an early boot, let alone the first boot, getting it.

On 10/8/2023 at 5:51 AM, Sir RaiderDuck OMS said:

There apparently was/is a league for Quidditch players, which has renamed itself quadball for reasons I'm sure having nothing at all to do with Scholastic/J.K. Rowling's lawyers bringing the heat. /s/

How much does one makes as a quadball player? Probably not a lot.

https://www.mlquadball.com/

https://www.mlquadball.com/new-orleans

The second site said that the New Orleans team entered the league through Coach Tad Walters, who is apparently our boy.

On 10/8/2023 at 1:51 PM, cameron said:

I think the whole quidditch nonsense was manufactured drama.  Gordon isn't that old that he hasn't seen a Harry Potter movie, especially with all the children they have.  I'm considerably older than he is and I even know what the quidditch game is.

Far be it from me to suggest anything on HK ISN'T manufactured drama, but I don't think we're supposed to think that Gordon hadn't heard of Quidditch as a sport in HP. He -- like many people, I'd imagine -- had no idea that someone had come up with "Quidditch" for real-life or created a league out of it. 

I can totally imagine Gordon as a real-life soccer player until his injury probably was like "GTFOH with this Quidditch BS" when he first heard about this dude getting casted and just had him on to roast him. 

• Like 1