Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E03: Blindsided

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

My thoughts from the episode:

• Taylor looked less than thrilled about JP when she met him...wonder if this will cause problems, a la Cole and Zanab, Bartise and Nancy, and Shake and Deepti.
  • Milton may be a very nice man, but I am always distracted by his hair...it always looks like he has a Jheri Curl toupee.
  • Izzy's whole face and demeanor reflect his inner turmoil about his decision of who to pick...it looks very very genuine. I hope that Stacy becomes able to express her feelings.
  • I really feel for Chris. On the one hand, no one wants to feel like second-best. But on the other, Johni may have a new appreciation of him. I think of the Bachelor, where twice the Bachelor has chosen someone as the "winner", only to change their minds after a few months, and get with the second-place person. In both those cases, they have gone on to have successful marriages. I guess the difference is that in the case of the Bachelor, the men made the re-choice after experiencing what it was like with their first choice. But in the case of Johni, she made the re-choice because her first choice rejected her.  Still, Chris is under no obligation to marry her, so he could propose and get to see if she treats him as a priority over the next month. The power dynamic theoretically could then go one of two ways: she could have the upper hand because of a subconscious perception that he needs to prove his worthiness, or he could have the upper hand because of a subconscious perception that she needs to atone for making him suffer by going through the pain and humiliation of being picked second. 
Edited by LuvMyShows
  • Like 4
  • Useful 1
20 minutes ago, LuvMyShows said:

Taylor looked less than thrilled about JP when she met him...wonder if this will cause problems, a la Cole and Zanab, Bartise and Nancy, and Shake and Deepti.

Oh interesting. I thought JP seemed like a perfectly normal looking guy, and Taylor looked like like someone who was trying too hard. So if anything I thought it would have been the other way around. Universe please forgive me for judging her looks because she seemed like a perfectly decent person, and teachers, right? (And I’ve watched the previous seasons but I don’t remember first visual impressions playing into those other couples. But there’s a lot I’ve forgotten!)

• Like 2
15 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

Oh interesting. I thought JP seemed like a perfectly normal looking guy, and Taylor looked like like someone who was trying too hard. 

I couldn't exactly understand what Taylor was getting at, but I think she had issues with his teeth?

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

I found Johnie’s talk with Chris to be so cringe and if I were Chris I’d be insulted. “You’re the safe choice, you’re not exciting.” Ouch! She was like “I’m here because we had the most fun,” girl, stop. You’re there because you got dumped by the guy you really wanted. I commend Chris for saying that he didn’t want to be the safe choice, he wants to be the love of her life. I don’t think I’d have entertained the conversation.

Stacy is really hard-looking and I think it’s partly because her makeup is … bad. Her foundation is a shade too light, her blush is too dark … she needs a makeunder.

Everybody seems to go to Lydia for comfort. I wonder if that’s tiring for her?

On 9/25/2023 at 8:31 PM, SoMuchTV said:

Oh interesting. I thought JP seemed like a perfectly normal looking guy, and Taylor looked like like someone who was trying too hard. So if anything I thought it would have been the other way around. Universe please forgive me for judging her looks because she seemed like a perfectly decent person, and teachers, right? (And I’ve watched the previous seasons but I don’t remember first visual impressions playing into those other couples. But there’s a lot I’ve forgotten!)

Neither JP nor Taylor is particularly attractive to me, and in the way you say. JP is, as you say, a regular-looking guy; Taylor is a bit too done, and could also use a makeunder.

Lydia crying when Aaliyah was hugging her and saying how much she loves Uche takes on a whole new level when you learn that she dated Uche!

• Like 5

Gasp!  Are you kidding me right now?

I have to say that is good tv.  I wonder if the producers knew all along?  I don't want to read anything because I don't want to be spoiled...But that puts a whole different spin on Lydia's comparing her and Aaliyah in the first episode.  I went back and watched that scene again because it put me off so on first watch and.... Gasp again!  In Episode 1 when Lydia is hugging and comforting Aaliyah and saying all the 'we are the same' and 'we are just alike' they were playing a song where the lyrics were 'I've got a secret."  Oh man.

Have we ever had a blatant comparing of notes about what was said in the pods between two people dating the same person as we did with Izzy and Chris about Johni?  I didn't have an opinion one way or the other about her but man she tumbled way down in my estimation when she tried to convince Chris to give her another chance.  No man wants to hear he is the safe and and unexciting choice.  She even told the women he was boring. And given that she married one guy she didn't love that does not bode well for Chris.  I am glad he talked to Izzy.  If he was even waffling a little bit I hope that tipped the scales for him.  I wish he had asked her if Izzy hadn't broken it off with her would she have asked to see him again?

Uche's poem to Aaliyah vs. Stacy's poem to Izzy.  Bwah!  I know hers was intentionally bad and it was quite funny.

The way Taylor was talking about JP's teeth you'd think he only had three up top.  Dang.  You could barely see the gap.  And so what?  Their meeting felt awkward.  I wonder if they are showing scenes  out of chronology.  I had read before that once you were engaged you were whisked away out of the pods right away.  But JP is still there after his meet up with Taylor was aired.

Is it me or are they showing more interaction amongst all the pod-mates in their separate sections than they have in the last few seasons?  It just seems we are getting more time amongst all the women and guys showing them cooking, drinking, talking, playing etc.  felt more like season 1.

• Like 5
  • Love 1

Ouch, I feel so bad for Chris after Johnnie ditched him and hightailed it out of there especially after being so vulnerable with him and I really hope he doesn’t take that as rejection for what happened to him. I don’t think her number one is going to pan out.

• Like 2
On 9/26/2023 at 2:31 AM, SoMuchTV said:

I felt like they looked appropriate together. They seemed like a good match physically. I know that's not what this show is meant to be about, but I feel like they match the other's attractiveness level. 

I agree, though, that she seemed like she was trying to convince herself that he looked fine. 

On 9/25/2023 at 8:31 PM, SoMuchTV said:

(And I’ve watched the previous seasons but I don’t remember first visual impressions playing into those other couples. But there’s a lot I’ve forgotten!)

Add Shaina and Kyle from Season 2 as a bad first visual impression. 

• Like 1
On 9/27/2023 at 8:07 PM, Empress1 said:

Stacy is really hard-looking and I think it’s partly because her makeup is … bad. Her foundation is a shade too light, her blush is too dark … she needs a makeunder.

I cannot with the orange blush on her cheeks and forehead. Terrible.

• Like 1
  • LOL 2

Is it just me or do all the couples suck this season?  I thought JP and Taylor had a chance but her saying "looks don't matter to me anymore" after seeing him (unless they edited that and she said that while they were still in the pods) is not a good sign.  Also, I find it kind of ironic that she's not into him physically because although neither of them are the hotness, JP to me is average whereas Taylor (with all her lip filler and whatever else she's had done), is slightly below.  

Then we have Uche and Aaliyah, with him giving all the red flags already and while sweet, Aaliyah seems a little sad since she stuck around even after how rude he was to her over the cheating thing.  Then there's the entire Lydia situation...

Which brings me to Lydia and Milton, they're just not going to last.  He seems very nice and sincere but Lydia's got a lot going on there and she just doesn't scream "stable".

Izzy and Stacy I guess could work?  I don't know.  There just didn't seem to be much there but maybe that means they'll be drama free?  They're just so forgettable that I can't really root for them.

I'd like to know who Renee was talking to because she's had a lot of screentime in the women's living area but we've seen basically zero of her in the pods.

• Like 2

On 9/27/2023 at 7:07 PM, Empress1 said:

When Stacy is onscreen all I see is Chris Pine!

• LOL 6
On 9/27/2023 at 7:07 PM, Empress1 said:

Does anyone know if this show has a makeup artist?  For the pods portion, at least?  Because if they don't, it might be a good idea to hire one because both Stacy and Taylor's makeup is pretty harsh.

• Like 4
On 9/27/2023 at 9:05 PM, DearEvette said:

Is it me or are they showing more interaction amongst all the pod-mates in their separate sections than they have in the last few seasons?  It just seems we are getting more time amongst all the women and guys showing them cooking, drinking, talking, playing etc.  felt more like season 1.

I took a look at the previous seasons, and in seasons 1 and 3, they were already on the couples getaway by episode 3, and for seasons 2 and 4 it was season 4. This season, it's season 5, so, yes, they have spent longer in the pods.

On 9/27/2023 at 9:05 PM, DearEvette said:

I assumed that was shown to counter the lawsuit allegations about lack of food & water in the pods.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

OK, what I noticed last night watching this episode is all of a sudden the people who are engaged to not leave, and I can see why the producers want us so the people that are engaged can talk crap about the people they didn’t go with to the contestants, I don’t care for this because I think there’s a lot of sour grapes, and I hate to see what could be a decent relationship ruined I personally want engaged people to leave 

• Like 2

I will say the big shocker at the end of Episode 3 was not much of a shocker.   I'm imagining since they're focusing on one primary location, it is possible that a man and a woman may have met before.   And I assume as soon as Uche and Lydia heard each other's voices, they put two and two together.   I'd love to see footage of that at the reunion.

With that said I think they've handled it right.  I don't feel like there's any real deception as what good would it do for Uche or Lydia to reveal it and color other folks opinion of the other.

Edited to add:  Uche could've kept his mouth shut on that but I guess there has to be a shocker...LOL.

Edited by Meedis

What a flip flopper Johnie was!!! How could she go crawling back to Chris after saying Iz will regret choosing Stacy & wondering what if & she'll always wonder the same. Seems she didn't share she'd only been in love with one person who wasn't her husband to Chris. Guess she learned from that. Glad Chris & Iz compared notes to see she was saying contradictory things.

First off, I’m surprised they guys like Johnie . Her voice is so nasally. I just don’t think she sounds attractive . Secondly, she’s always so serious . I get that you need to show your “vulnerable” side but you also should have some fun. I also couldn’t believe she told Izzy that she didn’t  have feelings for Chris and she only saw a friendship with him .. only to get dumped by Izzy and run back to Chris to try to stay on tv longer ahem I mean win him back . Then proceed to win him back by calling him safe and not exciting . 
Also, she’s telling the guys that she’s always been into guys with substance abuse problems and one died of an overdose . She even said she was a red flag . What are these guys exactly into about her ?