Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E10: In-Laws and Order

• Start Topic

Kimberly is having second thoughts when her parents arrive in India; Shekinah flies to Turkey despite her family's warnings; Kenny pushes Armando's boundaries; Wayne makes another alarming revelation; Yohan tries a new approach with Daniele.

Airdate 9/11/23

• Like 2

Kim's dad had some strong boomer energy, but I thought he handled that well - work things out with TJ, don't rush it, you can come home with us.   Danielle's poor translator having to recite back full essays I thought did a decent job under the circumstances.  It does seem like this show treats translators (when they have them) as magicians and don't really work with them to be *fully* understood.

• Like 1

I hate to see what is happening with TJ and Kim.  When two different cultures and/or religions come together a lot of comprise and communication are essential.  Kimberly doesn’t seem willing to embrace the Indian culture and customs. I understand that she is upset that she can’t be herself.  However, she lived there for a year, surely, she had some idea of what she was getting herself into.   

• Like 5
  • Applause 3

If Holly is so concerned about being poor she should set herself up to be financially independent.  Either live the lifestyle a barber can afford or change careers.  Don’t expect a man to support you.

1 minute ago, Adeejay said:

I hate to see what is happening with TJ and Kim.  When two different cultures and/or religions come together a lot of comprise and communication are essential.  Kimberly doesn’t seem willing to embrace the Indian culture and customs. I understand that she is upset that she can’t be herself.  However, she lived there for a year, surely, she had some idea of what she was getting herself into.   

If he moved to the US I am sure she would harangue him to get with the culture lol.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
3 hours ago, magemaud said:

Of course Sarper won’t make his relationship with Shekinah public! And she appeared to buy his lame excuse that she would be flooded with DMs from woman bad-mouthing him. Maybe there’s some truth to that. 

Yeah, I definitely don't like this guy.  He has abuser written all over him.  

• Like 2
16 hours ago, Adeejay said:

Right? I don’t get this either since she this isn’t her first exposure to Indian family culture. 

• Like 2
18 hours ago, DaRanger said:

Wait until Kimberly figures out she is marrying the whole damn family.  And she is the maid. Surprised they haven’t said anything about her tattoos yet. 

I was trying to read the tattoo on her left arm. Did it say "one tough broad"? She seems to think that being tough includes saying "suck my dick" to very straight-laced foreigners and very haughtily telling them "DON'T TOUCH ME!"

• Like 1
  • LOL 4

If Holly is so worried about financial stability, why doesn't she GET A JOB!   This is not the 1950s. Men are not there to pay her bills. She may not be able to get a job when she first gets there because of laws, but really what she wants is to be kept. Women like her disgust me.

Edited by Kid
  • Like 7
  • Applause 1

Is it just me? I very literally can’t stand looking at Shekinah because of those gross  pumped up lips. I might enjoy seeing the doomed story of her and Disney villain guy, but I have to fast forward because I can’t stand looking at her. 

• Like 5
  • Applause 3
  • LOL 5

Kimberly and TJ actually seemed calm and rational at points during this episode. Father Kimberly nailed it when he said you DO have a relationship problem.

Shekinah and her matching sister, yeesh. As with Darcy/Stacy, the daughter has adopted their fake aesthetic but is way smarter than her mom. I love that Shekinah's response to "He's a controlling alpha asshole" is "but he has good qualities too!" Well, Hitler loved dogs. So what?? That's not an argument for dating someone, much less moving 7,000 miles across the world to marry them. You don't think being "Instagram official" is a good idea BEFORE that giant move? And her hard line is that he can't have any female trainees, meaning she already knows he can't be trusted. Recipe for success.

Armando was kind of adorable talking about the stripper.

• Like 8
14 minutes ago, IvySpice said:

Armando was kind of adorable talking about the stripper.

He was, but this was the first time I have ever watched these two and wondered if they really will make it long term. I don't remember how they met---online? Kenny on vacation? But, in this episode it was mentioned how Armando was in smaller town, hadn't really ever been exposed to gay bars, strippers, really any sort of nightlife or life where he could be open about his sexuality and feel like he had a community. That is huge. If they do move and he starts meeting a lot of gay men more in his age group...maybe one eager to start a family, will he stay with sobbing grandpa? 

Kimberly and TJ actually seemed calm and rational at points during this episode.

Yes, absolutely. I feel bad for TJ because he really can't win. Either he gets the full wrath of his mother AND brother because Kim isn't behaving "properly" or he gets Kim's wrath because he isn't living up to her standard. 

I think Holly mentioned that she is willing and ready to work but she has no idea how that will work once they get married. Like, in terms of work permits, etc and it will probably take some time. So, yeah if Wayne knows this he should have been a bit more prepared to handle the burden while they are waiting for her papers. At least he isn't guilt tripping her about it the way a lot of the Americans do when their foreign fiance shows up and they bitch about paying for everything. 

"Instagram official" i

as if that even carries any weight, lol. Look, I think these two are a trainwreck dreamed up to boost OF customers. No way they make it actually work, she will be back on that plane by the tell all. Maybe this will be the first episode where the camera crew and cast member show up and walk in on a partner in the act of cheating, lol. HOWEVER, in his defense, if appearing available and single is part of the draw that brings him customers, then it is understandable that he wouldn't broadcast the relationship. His point is well taken too---my husband was apparently quite the player after his divorce several years ago. When it became clear we were getting serious and I started meeting his friends and going to his regular hangouts, believe me, quite a few were eager to mention how he was constantly with a different woman. When we got married, one person even said, "oh so you think this one will stick?" and another said, "wow, you did it again huh? Well this one has lasted longer than the others". 

Edited by Stuckathome
  • Like 5
On 9/12/2023 at 4:34 PM, MrBuhBye said:

Was all this yelling and toxicity Kim keeps referring to growing up solely her estranged mother or was dear old dad also involved but that is conveniently overlooked?

She seems to get along well with her father and step-mother so I suspect that toxicity might have come from her mom. 

• Like 2
9 hours ago, Stuckathome said:

That is huge. If they do move and he starts meeting a lot of gay men more in his age group

I get the sense that Kenny may have been the first man that he had sex with and if that is true he may have confused the experience of gay sex in general with gay sex with Kenny.  So while it was more fulfilling than sex with his wife he may not yet have experienced the intense physical attraction he could have with someone in his peer group.

Catty comment:  I don’t think those new frames did anything for him.

9 hours ago, Stuckathome said:

Wayne knows this he should have been a bit more prepared to handle the burden

Food for her should not be exorbitant and he has a house so I’m not sure how much more expensive it will be to have her around until she can work unless she goes crazy with shopping or continues to insist on a grander house than they can afford.

13 minutes ago, magemaud said:

She seems to get along well with her father and step-mother so I suspect that toxicity might have come from her mom. 

Yeah but usually it takes two.  Dad may have pushed her buttons, was passive aggressive etc.  If you don’t take the bait the yellers usually lose interest.

• Like 3
3 hours ago, MrBuhBye said:

Yeah but usually it takes two.  Dad may have pushed her buttons, was passive aggressive etc.  If you don’t take the bait the yellers usually lose interest.

Kimberly appears to have a hot temper. Maybe she and her mother were the ones who fought while her father just got out of the line of fire 

• Useful 2
13 hours ago, MrBuhBye said:

Also that he must quit smoking which he may have been doing for 25 years at this point.

I smoked for over 40 years and only gave up when I wanted to give up because it takes at least some want, certainly not when someone told me to give up.

• Like 7

I like TJ a lot, but I kind of blame him here, too.  He admitted he didn't tell her what it would be like being a bride in the family, what would be expected of her.  He said he didn't want to overwhelm her too soon, but like the wedding is in 3 days... is he like the South African guy and afraid she'll bolt if she knows the truth?

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
14 hours ago, Texasmom1970 said:

Hear me out: If Kimberly is psychic and has these gifts, did she not foresee some of this shit fest? 😃

She was full of shit from the start with those damn tarot cards. No way can a random shuffle  of cards that were produced in a factory determine anyone’s future.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 1

Whether to follow religious food taboos in a semi-shared house is a real thing to worry about. This is a major clash of values. The only way to make it work is for Kimberly to give way and only eat the forbidden foods outside the house. It seems she's not willing to do that, which means the whole situation is doomed.