Type keyword(s) to search

S20.E14: The Finale

• Start Topic

Add me to the people who thought they telegraphed Bishme winning all season. This was one of the worst finales for me. All three basically made greatest hits looks of everything they made all season. Boring. I did like Britney's black and white pants, Bishme's shiny red gingham outfit and Laurence's final red dress. The rest - zzzzz.......this show feels more and more like it is drifting towards the Lifetime seasons.

Having Zac there was a breath of fresh (old) air - I didn't miss Brandon, and would love Zac to come back. And please God, send Elaine packing!!!!!

• Like 9
  • Applause 1

I feel like every iteration of Project Runway gets criticized for its judging panel, and I think this has to do, in part, with permanent judges having the responsibility of justifying the producers' agenda, even when it's at odds with the quality of work being shown. It's a reality show first and foremost, and creating a gripping storyline, catering to specific demographics, or simply generating buzz is generally considered more important than pure design quality. 

I was not a fan of Zac's during his time as a permanent judge -- I often found his critiques biased, mean spirited, and not particularly helpful during the Lifetime era, though I thought he came across rather well during this guest appearance. I think this has to do with him being better in small doses and not being all that invested in the outcome (Laurence is the only finalist he knew previously, and that was six years ago), allowing him to provide commentary with less bias. 

• Like 6
On 9/11/2023 at 5:30 PM, MamaGee said:

I just had a thought. I love hearing the judges' comments during the runway but I also wonder if it's made us respect them less. Back in the day, when we only heard what they had to say when they were discussing the designs during judging, they might make a snarky comment here and there, they were usually pretty respectful of the designers, critical of the designs but not over the top about themselves or their personal preferences. I think that has something to do with why I don't like any of the current judges. Their comments during the runway crack me up but in the end, make them look less professional and respectable!

This is my problem with the sidebar conversations. Brandon, in particular, could be cutting with his smart-assery. I don’t care to hear it. Yes, Michael Kors could be that way as well, but it was always said directly to the designers, and he was most often right. Kors over Maxwell any day.

• Like 6
  • Applause 1
46 minutes ago, graybrown bird said:

I mute the runway so I don't have to listen to the judges' asides and the designers' squees.

I think I might have to do that too - I loathe all of the cutaways to the designers, and now they've doubled down to include commentary from the judges. It adds nothing and distracts from the actual show. It added a level of suspense when we didn't know who was top or bottom before the show ended. Now it's obvious.

• Like 4
  • Applause 2
On 9/13/2023 at 9:05 AM, ThatsDarling said:

I feel like every iteration of Project Runway gets criticized for its judging panel, and I think this has to do, in part, with permanent judges having the responsibility of justifying the producers' agenda, even when it's at odds with the quality of work being shown. It's a reality show first and foremost, and creating a gripping storyline, catering to specific demographics, or simply generating buzz is generally considered more important than pure design quality. 

This is a good reminder.  Even "competition" shows are produced to garner ratings and buzz.

• Like 1
On 9/8/2023 at 10:35 AM, IndyMischa said:

I feel bad for Bishme but I am sick of hearing about his grieving. 

While I agree, it's possible that he was so raw as it was only a matter of a week or weeks between his sister's death and the start of filming. I hope that is the reason, and not because he's that vulnerable by default. If the latter is true, he will need therapy far more than a mentorship in his chosen profession/industry, where it's kill or be killed.

On 9/8/2023 at 11:55 AM, Thumper said:

A question about the larger models.  Do the designers (a) have an outfit in mind, and then “have” to put the larger model in it?  Or (b) does the model come first, and the designer then makes the item to flatter the model?

My guess is option (a), based on what I saw last night.  As a size 14, I’d be considered “plus” in the fashion industry, I guess. Waist and belly are my issues.  It just irritates me to no end to see these models in tight clothes that draw the eye to their bellies!   It’s saying “oh well she’s fat; nothing I can do about it” to me.  Could they not loosen up the clothes, make a skirt more a-line or with a flowy fabric, not skin tight?  I felt for those models last night — but maybe they are used to it.  (Brittany’s skin-tight garment and Laurence’s green leather dress (?) come to mind.)

Or, maybe the models have a more “body positive” outlook than I do.  🙄🥴☺️

Both could be true. 😉 I've almost always felt like designers, PR and everywhere else, simply make garments which have been crafted for size 2-4-6, and exploded the pattern to fit "plus" sizes. I'm a believer that not every design is appropriate for everybody. It's very frustrating for those of us in that size range. 

While I do think that the culture in general has become more accepting of larger bodies (or at least they're paying lip service to it 😏), I don't think that the fayshun industry is ready to play along just yet. Most everything PR has put down the runway on larger models is extremely unflattering in the midsection and bustline imo. This final was no exception.

Edited by SuprSuprElevated
  • Like 16
  • Fire 1
  • Applause 2
4 minutes ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

While I do think that the culture in general has become more accepting of larger bodies (or at least they're paying lip service to it 😏), I don't think that the fayshun industry is ready to play along just yet. Most everything PR has put down the runway on larger models is extremely unflattering in the midsection and bustline imo. This final was no exception

yeah the attitude seems to be that the current culture says "it's ok to be 'large,' so it's ok for me as a designer to create something that is skin tight in the tummy-- flaunt it, girl!"

While those of us with "larger" waistlines do NOT want to flaunt our tummies. And I hate when those skinny judges say that the designer "really flattered her beautiful figure." Right.....

• Like 7
  • Applause 8
  • Love 3

Late to the finale party and not here to sexually flirt with Christian, who I love but agree failed these three finalist.

Bishme came in third. Laurence, my love and Patronus, was a solid runner up to the annoying Whatshername. 

I know. I can't believe it either.

Edited by Audpaud
  • Like 5
  • LOL 1
On 9/13/2023 at 10:52 AM, graybrown bird said:

I mute the runway so I don't have to listen to the judges' asides and the designers' squees.

Great idea, I need to do this as well. I've started f/fing directly to the runway portion because I am so effing over the dramatic sob stories that we are forced to listen to week after week.

This show needs a massive overhaul. Post-Heidi/Tim, it's really just a shadow of it's former self at this point. Firstly, Nina needs to go. Enough already, she has shown a stead stream of bad taste, IMO, for many seasons now. And while I think they cast Elaine as a fresh face, enough with her too. She's just not interesting at all and rarely adds anything pithy or interesting to the discussion at hand. And don't get me started on the Queen of Bitchy, Brandon, who appears to only like things he's thought of. And their guest judges have also been abysmal this season, at least to me. Too much ego and not enough substance to back up their opinions.  I too, miss Zack, he had very specific and salient feedback for contestants and his own work is impeccable so he has the cred to back up his critiques, whereas to me, the current judges and guest judges do not.

I always go back to one of my most iconic and favorite episodes, where Chris March and Christian Siriano created that magnificent couture gown with the huge portrait collar. That? Was what I tune into PR for. Not to see a guy crying over his sister's death, a pouty Frenchwoman who looks perpetually miserable, and a girl who makes sk8tergurl/Hello Kitty outfits. Just sayin'.

• Like 8
  • Applause 3

I've been re-watching old seasons, and I completely agree with the need for an overhaul.  Nina only sees what would look good in a magazine...does she realize that magazines are slowing dying?  Elaine is absolutely useless, and Brandon thinks he's witty in the vein of Michael Kors, but he's just obnoxious.

While we're at it, I'm over avant garde (they don't know what it is), and the unconventional materials challenges.  And having them make a couture dress in 10 hours...what's the point of that?  To show that it can't be done? They're not inspiring in any way. I'd like more apples to apples challenges...everyone must make a pair of pants, or use the same (nice) fabric.  What if they all had to use striped fabric?  It would be interesting to see what different designers would do with that.

And agree with the above...I could care less about their backstories.  I just want to see beautiful clothes (or at least interesting ones.  And Mickey Mouse ears on a jacket aren't interesting or beautiful).

• Like 4
  • Applause 1