Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E12: Find Me Some Budgie to Love

• Start Topic

A deckhand’s fate is up in the air after an egregious error; the second officer tries to escape a rocky romantic past; the captain reluctantly bares all for a budgie breakfast.

Airdate: 08.26.2023

Like a viewer who was hoping for a demonstration of the perfect clubhaul by the Kaiju-maru, these comments are in the order of the episode scenes broadcast.

Captain Jason, very calmly:  “I’m furious.”  Oh….Kay….

Given the fact that Sir Isaac tells us that F=ma, does anyone else think the anchor incident was re-shot, re-edited, etc.?  That anchor would have sunk in a very short time, but the timeline we saw was… longer.  But that notwithstanding, it was certainly a serious incident and could have ended badly.

Aesha: “This is like the least tacky thing we’ve had.”  Oh, madam, your memory is oh so short.

Aesha: “Can you imagine Harry in a threesome?  He would not know what to do.”  Way to support your crew, bitch.

Once again, Chef T rocks the house with her cuisine.  Presentation is still “splat-on-a-plate”, but the food is the thing the guests remember most.

“Where’s Culver?”  Cut to multiple scenes of Culver and food.

Culver, sarcastically: “I’m so fired up to work for him (J-Wow) now.”  Well, dog, perhaps if you got up off your ass and actually worked instead of stoking your gob, you’d have a point.  You don’t.

Watching J-Wow doctoring chef’s foot – you have to admit it’s rather cute.  A J-Wow/Cheffy hookup?  Looks possible.

Margot: “Harry’s being very cold to me.”  More like he’s just aware of who/what you are.  Harry’s not so dumb after all.

Margot – you giving relationship advice is a bit like listening to Bernie Madoff telling me what stocks to buy.

Those budgies weren’t smuggled, they were abducted!

Culver’s priority is his food, not his work.  While the crew preps for docking, Culver is more concerned with his smoothie.  J-Wow tells Jason about this and Jason just doesn’t want to listen!

What will happen next time?  Will J-Wow and Cheffy continue to play doctor?  Will Culver overeat and need a doctor?  Will the Kaiju-maru have a deck-tour?  Stay tuned, if your budgies don’t suffocate…

• Like 5
  • Applause 1
  • Love 2

I was impressed that the crew could come up with some credible outfits for the Slim Aarons theme (not that I'd ever heard of him). I could raid my entire closet and not succeed. Of course they were probably supplied by production.

So was the dinner just the truffle ravioli and the cheesecake dessert? I'm not a big eater but I would expect three courses on a fancy trip like this. It sounded delicious thought.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, SHERMDOG said:

I'm pissed captain let Adam go...stupid.

I was trying to like Culver but he's just a lazy asshole

I'm sure it was edited to accentuate his laziness, but they certainly had enough material to work with showing his number one priority was filling his stomach. I had a lot of sympathy for joa-w (?) trying to explain that Culver was more of a problem than Adam

Edited by dleighg
  • Like 14
1 hour ago, Uncle JUICE said:

I refuse to look it up. Dafuq is a Slim Aarons theme? And how on earth would anyone know how to build a party around it? I hate these theme parties so badly. But at least these people weren't crazy dickwads. 

He was a famous photographer of "high society" apparently.  No idea how you would theme a party around that though.

• Like 2

Well at least someone is attracted to Harry, even if it's just a random charter guest who doesn't know him. 

It seems like the table is set up for the cameras, the way everyone has to sit on one side of it. I feel sorry for the guests having to cram themselves in there. It must be a pain in the ass when one of them has to get up and go to the bathroom.

2 hours ago, dleighg said:

I'm sure it was edited to accentuate his laziness, but they certainly had enough material to work with showing his number one priority was filling his stomach. 

Yeah, it's hard to know if Culver really does spend that much time in the crew mess or if it's just edited to look that way. Every time they cut to Culver, that's where he is. But you're right - they clearly have a lot of film of him down there to work with. And he was lazy last season too, so it's not like this is new behavior. Culver's thing is that he thinks he's there for entertainment, not to work. Maybe he gets away with it on other boats.

That is one loud microwave.

• Like 5
  • LOL 3

I get that the anchor incident is a dealbreaker for Jason -- said he witnessed 3 people die in Singapore because of some similar mishap.  I can understand the chains whipping around and hitting someone but didn't understand that dropping anchor while moving could cause some other issues for the entire boat.

But I get a sense that he and production really wanted to get the new guy on the boat, probably someone that they had in their back pocket, so to speak.

It's not just Culver being lazy, it's the shitty attitude.  He gave them plenty of footage of him talking shit under his breath.  And he just wants to be CEO, not a deckie.

Also has to say something that he has all this experience but is still a deckhand.  The one time they gave him more responsibilities, he showed why he hasn't been promoted.

He seems to really like Jaimee though and she gets to go to Europe, though how does that work, will the charter company get her a work visa or she's allowed to work on the boat and doesn't need a regular work visa, which isn't easy to get for Europe if you don't have permanent resident status, which is also not an automatic process.  Big employers will sponsor people whom they want to hire but otherwise, it's not that straightforward, I would think.

At least this party seemed like something the guests actually asked for.  These guests didn't have dietary restrictions or demands.  In fact it was too much food, more than what they were used to eating.  One of them commented that a lot of kings had gout because they feasted so much.

• Like 5
  • Love 1

With Bravo, you never know.

The greater sin from Adam may be that he's low drama, not that he's inexperienced and is more likely to cause potentially catastrophic accidents.

• Like 5
  • Useful 1
5 hours ago, iMonrey said:

It seems like the table is set up for the cameras, the way everyone has to sit on one side of it.

I have often thought that. I can't imagine it's set that way on boats that are not on camera.

• Like 2
On 8/29/2023 at 3:10 PM, dleighg said:
On 8/29/2023 at 10:07 AM, iMonrey said:

It seems like the table is set up for the cameras, the way everyone has to sit on one side of it.

I have often thought that. I can't imagine it's set that way on boats that are not on camera.

If facilitates easier service, for one. It was once that way in the Middle Ages.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1

The boat is buck ugly for sure.  It was a fishing vessel and it looks like it.  The only good thing about that is the lots of storage for the toys.

It still gets to me that even after firing two people for sexual harassment, everyone puts pressure on the guys to wear skimpy bathing suits in front of the guests.  If Jason, or any of them didn't want to do it, they shouldn't have had to.

• Like 7
  • Applause 7
On 8/28/2023 at 10:38 PM, Chalby said:

I know people like Culver, but given the edit he got this season, he is definitely some kind of lazy... I will not miss him.

DVR’d this episode, and what stood out to me was that he was always stuffing his face in the crew mess. When he was called to the deck, his attitude was like, “Oh, shit, what NOW?” Also don’t like the way his jealousy of Joao shows.

No use for him.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1

While we’re here, can I make a request to just STOP with the objectification of the male crew members? This seems to have become a bad BD habit. If we’re calling out sexual harassment — as we SHOULD — there should be no double standards.

• Applause 7
12 minutes ago, RoseAllDay said:

While we’re here, can I make a request to just STOP with the objectification of the male crew members? This seems to have become a bad BD habit. If we’re calling out sexual harassment — as we SHOULD — there should be no double standards

and the smugglers return in the latest episode, with even more inappropriate whooping and posing (by the guests). It seemed (to me) like the guys weren't all that into it, but put on a big smile "for the tips." Which no one should have to do.

• Like 3
7 hours ago, aghst said:

They won't have the stewardesses go around wearing thongs or skimpy bikinis, will they?

I think some asshole guests — with the egging on by production, maybe — take advantage of the “we never say no” policy. There are some things that are just outside the job description — namely, sacrificing one’s dignity for a tip.

Edited by RoseAllDay
  • Like 1

I think if they blatantly objectified the women, Bravo will get a lot of blowback so they know not to put that in the preference sheets, or at least the ones they read out loud on camera.

There was that one stew in the first season of BDSY, where she was in a thong sunbathing.

They briefly showed her when she was lying on her stomach.

Presumably it was her choice to put on that bikini and sunbathe near where she knew the cameras would be.

7 minutes ago, aghst said:

There was that one stew in the first season of BDSY, where she was in a thong sunbathing.

They briefly showed her when she was lying on her stomach.

Presumably it was her choice to put on that bikini and sunbathe near where she knew the cameras would be

I think more than one of the female crew have chosen to wear swimsuits that show most of their asses. That's their choice, which is very different than wearing something because a guest asks for it. 

• Like 3
2 hours ago, dleighg said:

I think more than one of the female crew have chosen to wear swimsuits that show most of their asses. That's their choice, which is very different than wearing something because a guest asks for it. 

Example: The guests who made BD’s Josiah wear the skin-tight body suit that left nothing to the imagination. There was more to that as well, IIRC. 

If the women want to wear thongs, fine. But the men are more often than not pressured into it. Asking even Jason to do it was appalling. 

• Like 3

Guests ask for (or production gets them to ask for) some stupid things but assuming the chef would be able to do a Japanese steak house shrimp flipping onion volcano knife spinning sort of meal, that is just a bridge too far. 

Why not ask for a really good Japanese meal, it is a lot more classy than trying to catch a shrimp in your mouth.

• Like 2
39 minutes ago, Baltimore Betty said:

Guests ask for (or production gets them to ask for) some stupid things but assuming the chef would be able to do a Japanese steak house shrimp flipping onion volcano knife spinning sort of meal, that is just a bridge too far. 

Why not ask for a really good Japanese meal, it is a lot more classy than trying to catch a shrimp in your mouth.

Because this is a BravoTv show, and being classy is not what they do

• LOL 1