Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E10: The Finale: I Need a Drink!

• Start Topic

I agree.    I'm shocked no one noticed it was ginger on the zester, and not lemon.    Doesn't ginger have a scent when ground?    

I couldn't believe the one woman on the French team didn't do her part of the kitchen exploration.  Their decorations were awful.    

I do like that two of three did the preliminary round correctly, and the third team's bake was pretty close too. .  I like that the judges considered both rounds together too.   

I hope if there's another season that they get rid of immunity from doing the main round, and consider the scores from both rounds the way they did tonight.  And consider both rounds from the first episode, not just on the finale. 

I love what Amber and Yass want to do with the money.  I'm so happy for Amber and Yass.  Their cake wasn't the right flavors, but it looked so much like the mystery cake.  I liked the way that Yass & Amber, and T & his partner tried their hardest, without falling apart.   I think the French women were convinced they were going to win, and were over confident. 

I like that the bakers had 5 hours to do the final bake. 

(I put spoilers if I think people record and watch later, if I remember.  I figure getting spoiled is worse than clicking on the spoiler part to read it.)

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 4

I thought the flavor sounded awful.   The dark and stormy didn't sound good to me, but I don't like the way the flavors listed even combined.     I think they went with that as a trick on the contestants, and they all fell for it.    The look on Yass and Amber's faces when they realized they were first going to do the winning cake flavor but changed to the wrong flavor was sad to see.   

I still can't believe the one French woman didn't even look at her half of the kitchen.    I wonder if the partnership survived the loss, and the screw up by the partner?    Their pathetic excuse for  decorating the cake was hideous.   

I did like the decorating T and partner did.   

I still don't understand how all three teams thought the ginger was actually lemon zest.  

• Like 2

It was a dark and stormy cake.... (Apologies to Snoopy. 😉)

(And for the record, it's generally assumed that people don't look at episode threads until after they've seen the episode. So spoilers are basically unnecessary in them, unless the spoiler in question is for a later episode. Feel free to use them if that's what makes you more comfortable, but they're really not needed.)

• Like 2
  • LOL 2

Amber and Yass have been my favourite team from the start, so I am happy to see them win.  I was surprised the cake was Dark and Stormy, because it just doesn't seem very festive.  A Pina Colada cake sounds a lot more appetizing and fits the decorations.  Amber and Yass's cake looked great and they got great comments from the judges.

I liked the French women as well.  It's too bad that Laissa didn't search her half of the kitchen.  But in the end, they made a delicious cake that was just lacking in decoration.  They got the first bake correct, so I'd say they finished in second place.

Fadi and T were the only ones to biff the first round.  Really, for the finale they thought they were simply being asked to make croissants?  After all three teams got the cake wrong, and after their cake was judged to be dry and lacking in rum, I still thought the judges were going to find a way to crown them the winners.

14 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I agree.    I'm shocked no one noticed it was ginger on the zester, and not lemon.    Doesn't ginger have a scent when ground?    

I hope if there's another season that they get rid of immunity from doing the main round, and consider the scores from both rounds the way they did tonight.  And consider both rounds from the first episode, not just on the finale. 

Interesting that in one of the articles linked above, Amber and Yass say they are specifically told what they can taste, and what they can only smell.  This is why nobody bothered to taste the ginger.  But still, lemon and ginger have distinctive smells.  Amber seems to say they tried to smell it but didn't smell the ginger.

In Season 1, both bakes were considered for the judging.  The winner of the first bake got an extra clue for the second bake.  Often, the clue didn't help them at all, so maybe that's why it was scrapped.  I would suggest there should be no safety, but the winner of the first round gets extra time in the CSK for the second round.  Not a ton, maybe 30 seconds or so.  And then both bakes get considered when determining elimination.  

• Like 4
6 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I thought the flavor sounded awful.   The dark and stormy didn't sound good to me, but I don't like the way the flavors listed even combined.

I've had a dark & stormy - it's ginger beer and dark rum over ice with a slice of lime.  I love rum but am not as fond of ginger beer, so I thought it was okay but not great.  Probably would not request that as a cake flavor myself, but if you like rum and ginger, I guess it could work.  I'd much rather have had the Mai Tai cake because I like those flavors.  Pina colada, though, yuck.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Like 2

I think immunity is an acceptable advantage for when there’s 5-6 teams in the kitchen (so the first 2 weeks for each starting group, and for the merged finalists).  Giving one team a pass lets the show focus more time in the second half on the remaining teams.  However I agree that for the rest of the season, extra investigation time would be a great advantage.  Alternatively, maybe they can build an “interview room” where Yolanda/Curtis “confess” one thing about the dessert.  Ooh!  Or maybe there’s a line up - in this case, they could have put all the drinks in a row, and let Yo “ID” the right one.  Then it would be up to the bakers to remember which drink it was, and what the flavors were.

Overall though I’m glad that we got more of the show, and I hope it gets renewed again.

• Like 5

I'm so happy Amber and Yass won!  I am not an especially emotional person but their reaction and speech after being named the winning team totally got me a little misty 🥲

Edited by ruffy666
  • Like 2
On 8/15/2023 at 10:10 AM, proserpina65 said:

Pina colada, though, yuck.

You don't like pina coladas?  I bet you don't like getting caught in the rain either!  LOL

I agree that the right team won and was so happy that the "Hey! look at me!!!!!" came in LAST!  Yay!

• Like 2
  • LOL 3

I think that instead of getting immunity with the 'safety bake", next time they should go back to getting an extra clue. Sometimes they way things are decorated, how would someone know exactly how a cake was decorated? The gals that won, did a great job with the cutout cake. They somehow were almost exactly the same cake. But the cake in the finale, who would have done it that same way? If it was something that wasn't as specifically decorated like a cake, maybe eliminate one of the "red herring" clues for the winner of the first round or something that might help them with picking the right type of dessert to make if the ingredients could be used for multiple things.

• Like 3

I really like Amber and Yass so I am happy that they won. They deserved it and they seem quite lovely. I also think I have come around more on the French team, they did a great job they just had one big screw up at the end. 

Ginger is such a potent smell, I know its easy to play armchair cook detective from here when you aren't in the thick of it, but its so noticeable! 

This season was fun, it was certainly harder than the last season.

• Like 1