Type keyword(s) to search

The View: Week of 7/24/2023

falltime
  • Start Topic

Monday, July 24 — “The View” honors co-creator Bill Geddie, a pioneer in his field and one of television’s finest and well-respected producers who passed away July 20 at age 68 (July 17, 1955 – July 20, 2023)

Tuesday, July 25 — Paul de Gelder (shark conservationist and shark attack survivor; Discovery's Shark Week  “Florida Shark: Blood in the Water” and “Deadly Sharks of Paradise”); “The View” kicks off “The Ladies Get Lit” series with the co-hosts’ favorite summer reads

Wednesday, July 26 —Jason Reynolds (author, “Miles Morales Suspended”); “The Ladies Get Lit”

Thursday, July 27 — Day of Hot Topics; “The Ladies Get Lit”

Friday, July 28 – Day of Hot Topics; “The Ladies Get Lit”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
1 hour ago, GiveMeSpace said:

Bill may have changed Sherris life, but he has just changed my channel. Truly groundbreaking. No pun intended. 

I go out of my way NOT to see Sherri on my TV ... & there she was this morning.  Click!!!

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

(I don't live in Florida, and have no personal stake in the schools there)

I think that the hosts only read the headlines and listened to sound bites about the Florida Social Studies standards (and maybe De Santis did too, because he sounded foolish), because based on the document (the one that the headlines and sound bites reference) on the Florida Department of Education website*, just about all the topics Whoopi and Sunny listed are included in the educational standards, not being overlooked, removed or deleted. I know that talk shows like The View aren't full of researchers doing deep dives on all topics they discuss, but it would be nice if they could resist offering knee jerk responses based on minimal information once in a while. Jumping on the media bandwagon doesn't provide viewers with useful information. 

*Anyone can find it by going to the Florida Dept. of Education website and looking in the Academics topic.

• Like 2
  • Mind Blown 1

Yeah, they noticeably omitted one glaring part of Geddie's "legacy." I don't hate the man, I'm sorry for his family, but I give Barbara, Meredith, Joy, and Star more credit for The View than him.

Ana brought up her initial start on The View back when she was a Jeb Bush supporter, I think that's the first time she has. I liked her even then, she was one I always thought was a good candidate for this show when she first appeared (one of the only good ones among the "contributors" they started that season off with, Padma Lakshmi being the only other one of those I liked), because she didn't scream and she gels well with the others.

Whoopi made a comment about Geddie not being the one who fired Joy and the way she said it sort of answered for me the lingering question of why she acted so crazy during the Rosie's season finally. I still wouldn't say I'm a huge fan of Whoopi and she's definitely a weaker moderator than Meredith, but I think I like her a little more knowing she acted the way she did out of loyalty to Joy and others rather than simply because she couldn't handle another big name being at the table. Speaking of, I appreciated Ana bringing up Rosie Perez's comment about Bill Geddie. I liked Perez and I hate she's generally ignored in these kinds of retrospectives simply because she was only there one year (and yet we get lots of Jenny McCarthy, yuck).

7 hours ago, js9548 said:

I was surprised EH didn't call in during the first segment to Bill.

Same. If anyone owes Geddie everything, it was her. Maybe they'll have her call in on tomorrow's show since they'll be talking about his passing again anyway with Joy.

• Like 5
  • Applause 1
8 hours ago, TheGreenKnight said:

Whoopi made a comment about Geddie not being the one who fired Joy and the way she said it sort of answered for me the lingering question of why she acted so crazy during the Rosie's season finally. I still wouldn't say I'm a huge fan of Whoopi and she's definitely a weaker moderator than Meredith, but I think I like her a little more knowing she acted the way she did out of loyalty to Joy and others rather than simply because she couldn't handle another big name being at the table.

I missed those years so I have no idea what you're referring to. Are you suggesting that Rosie O. got Joy fired? Can you elaborate a little on that and how she acted out of loyalty, etc. ? 

2 hours ago, Haleth said:

Whoopi’s shoes with the Barbie heads are disturbing.

Yes! I think whoever created those shoes really doesn't like Barbie, regardless of what they say. 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Haleth said:

Whoopi’s shoes with the Barbie heads are disturbing.

Alyssa did that “but” thing twice while trying to justify Abbott’s buoys. She’s fine with it. 

did she walk out there without assistance? they llook dangerous 

yeah, she should just shut up when she has some of her comments

I haven't watched the whole show yet, but the Barbie discussion was pretty funny between Alyssa pointing out that ranting and raving over a movie about a doll is probably more emasculating than anything in the movie itself could be and then Joy's potshot at Gaetz.

• Like 2
  • LOL 7
13 hours ago, TheGreenKnight said:

I haven't watched the whole show yet, but the Barbie discussion was pretty funny between Alyssa pointing out that ranting and raving over a movie about a doll is probably more emasculating than anything in the movie itself could be and then Joy's potshot at Gaetz.

21 hours ago, Haleth said:

Alyssa did that “but” thing twice while trying to justify Abbott’s buoys. She’s fine with it. 

Amazing how she can get in a brief shining moment before reminding us just who she really is.

• Like 1
  • Applause 2

Biden's dog biting Secret Service agents - I kept thinking, "Haven't we heard this before?" and we did - a couple of years ago with the other dog. So now two dogs have been biting people, each multiple times. If these dogs were owned by my neighbor, not the POTUS, my question would be - why haven't you gotten your dog(s) trained? Well-behaved dogs shouldn't be biting people without being provoked. Also, if you know the living conditions are busy and a bit chaotic, perhaps a different type of dog would be appropriate (assuming this isn't a dog you already own). If you do already own the dog, you should be taking measures to minimize the disruption for them. In some places, dogs that bite multiple times are considered dangerous and may even end up euthanized. Obviously, no one would like that to happen, so someone in the Biden family needs to ensure that their dogs are properly socialized and trained. 

Barbie - I haven't seen Barbie and I am very unlikely to see it, but Whoopi's comment that "It’s a movie about a doll" is disingenuous. As if a movie about a doll couldn't have a theme that some people might object to. Maybe the Barbie movie is just a dumb movie with nothing to make the viewer think about, but that seems unlikely. Even Whoopi recognized that, to a degree when she said, "And it’s meant to make you just think or pause, it’s not meant to do anything but give you a good time."  If it is meant to make you think or pause, then why wouldn't someone take time to do that, even if it is about a doll (or a dog, or a video game, or comic book heroes)?

Whether it is worth actually commenting on is another question. Whoopi would have been clearer if she said something like, "Is it worth discussing this movie when we have a more urgent issue like <fill in the blank> to figure out?" 

18 minutes ago, KittyQ said:

Whether it is worth actually commenting on is another question. Whoopi would have been clearer if she said something like, "Is it worth discussing this movie when we have a more urgent issue like <fill in the blank> to figure out?" 

Like the earth-shattering story about a biting dog in the White House?

• Like 1
  • LOL 7
5 hours ago, sugarbaker design said:

Like the earth-shattering story about a biting dog in the White House?

I was actually referring to the politicians commenting on Barbie, not the View panel talking about the dog or the daily "Dear Abby" type topics. As banal as some of those topics are, the View team has to talk about something for an hour and that's what the producers have chosen. 

• Like 4

Good show today! Whoopi was the best one in the first segment, she handled Alyssa and Sara pretty well. I was glad Joy pointed out Hunter Biden is not a part of the administration the way Ivanka and Kushner were. The interview with Jason Reynolds was pretty good, too.

I suppose the Ladies Get Lit will go two days into next week considering there are six co-hosts? Interested to see what Joy, Sunny, and Ana pick.

• Like 8

I...do not like Sarah's makeup today.  It aged her terribly.  

And I like Sarah but am not a fan of her taste in books.  I can't with the celebrity books.  There are tons of wonderful children's books out there.  Why waste a pick with something that Katherine Schwarzenegger-Pratt "wrote"?

• Like 5

Next week is the last week of the season, right? I won't mind having a break from Alyssa / Sara and I imagine the other co-hosts are looking forward to the vacation from them, too, at this point--especially with Sara being one of those plants that are friends with the higher-ups at ABC, it's allowed her and Alyssa to create more friction with the panel than I would've expected coming into this season, tbh--but I will miss the others.

• Like 3
43 minutes ago, Snapdragon said:

There are tons of wonderful children's books out there.  Why waste a pick with something that Katherine Schwarzenegger-Pratt "wrote"?

When celebrities (or even celebrity-adjacent people) "write" children's books and they get published immediately, I wonder if it disheartens the many professional authors who have a harder time getting their work published. Also, it seems to suggest that just anyone could write a good children's book. 

I think that many people can write passable books for kids, especially their own kids, but getting published has to be a big challenge. 

• Like 10
15 hours ago, Haleth said:

Yeah, Mitch looked an alarming shade of green when he had his episode. Scary. 

@Haleth your post has me thinking of the perfect joke but I'm going to refrain from making it.  I'm sure other posters can figure it out.

18 hours ago, Snapdragon said:

Why waste a pick with something that Katherine Schwarzenegger-Pratt "wrote"?

Don't like her or or her husband so I would have zero interest in reading her book to my grandkids.

17 hours ago, KittyQ said:

When celebrities (or even celebrity-adjacent people) "write" children's books and they get published immediately, I wonder if it disheartens the many professional authors who have a harder time getting their work published. Also, it seems to suggest that just anyone could write a good children's book. 

Not just children's books.  Tori Spelling "wrote" multiple books.  

• Like 2

The first of Joy's books she advertised and the little bit she read from it reminded me of "The Watcher at the Gate" by Gail Godwin. Good advice though, about fighting perfectionist instincts when trying to write.

Am I the only one who finds it pretty vile and inappropriate the way Sara and Alyssa seem to slide in these kinds of ageist comments towards Joy? What business is it of theirs what one of their co-workers chooses to do with their own lives? This isn't The Young View anyway, older people have opinions just like everyone else, and I would go further to say that while Sara and Alyssa may be the youngest at the table, they're also the most expendable co-hosts here as far as ratings go and why people watch this show in comparison to Joy, Ana, and Whoopi. We know the show was already #1 for two years without Alyssa and I doubt she's added anything to the ratings (probably the reverse). And I would say Sara was more of a do-no-harm seat filler most of her tenure on this show, not someone who brought any substance--although I'd say she's moved over into more of a negative value at this point rather than simply being a nonentity.

I guess I'm cynical in seeing Sara, Alyssa, and Teta as playing a game here. They went hard at Sunny all season because they see her as the weakest one in the chain since she doesn't have the name value Joy, Whoopi, and Ana have, all while trying to keep a drumbeat going to try to retire Joy by always bringing up her age (having already got her reduced to 4 days a week) when the truth is they just don't like their views and are attacking other aspects to get rid of them because they can't beat them in discussions at the table. They're hoping they can get one or both of them out and then move on to going after Whoopi when they're done--since, after all, they can also attack Whoopi's right to be there by going after her age, too, she's not that much younger than Joy.

• Like 1
  • Applause 2

I've never read Catch-22 and always said I'd get to it someday.  Watching Joy's Get Lit selection has reminded me to finally do it.

Re Sunny's being absent, it must be nice for Alyssa to have had two days in a row without Sunny interrupting her.  She could actually get whole sentences and thoughts out without being interrupted.  

• Like 5

I was only half paying attention this week but enjoyed Lindsey more than I did when she was trying out for the seat Alyssa eventually won.  She made some decent points.

14 hours ago, TheGreenKnight said:

try to retire Joy by always bringing up her age (having already got her reduced to 4 days a week)

I don't see this at all.  I don't think they want Joy to retire since she is such a huge part of the show and its legacy.  I'm 99.9% positive the 4 day 3 day (since they film Fri on Thurs) workweek was Joy's idea and was agreed to by the producers so she wouldn't retire.  She is 80 yo after all and having to get up early, go into the city, and sit through meetings and show prep must be grueling.  The producers are probably overjoyed (no pun intended) that she is such a workaholic that she continues to be a part of the show when most people would prefer to retire.

• Like 11
14 hours ago, Gemma Violet said:

It must be nice for Alyssa to have had two days in a row without Sunny interrupting her.  She could actually get whole sentences and thoughts out without being interrupted.

Poor, poor, Alyssa.

Yeah, see me playing the 🎻 in sympathy for her. [insert sarcasm].

• LOL 4

I thought they should've had one of the lawyers read the legal note since they had two there, but they probably figured that would give Sara something to add for a change (aside from the shopping segments). Did not care for the way she was wagging her finger at Joy at the end of the show though.

• Like 1