Type keyword(s) to search

S20. E06: Like Totally ‘90s

• Start Topic

9 minutes ago, Cotypubby said:

That’s not an actual school, MoMA PS1 is an art museum in a decommissioned school, there are no classes or students.

I wish they'd mentioned that on the show. If they did, I didn't hear it. I'd have looked at things a little more closely.

• Like 4
49 minutes ago, Cotypubby said:

That’s not an actual school, MoMA PS1 is an art museum in a decommissioned school, there are no classes or students

wow, from the comment from one of the contestants (I don't remember which) it made it sound like one of the specialized high schools a la "Fame."

• Like 6

Isn’t Kara Saun 55 years old?  Why is she pretending she was in high school in the 90s?

My daughter was born in 1990, so as a single mom, all I remember about the 90s was struggling to keep clothes on our backs.  Not designer clothes.  I confess I really didn’t like any of the looks sent down the runway.  

• Like 7
  • Hugs 3
3 hours ago, 7-Zark-7 said:

I don't know what's going on, but Nina isn't very happy this season.

Has Nina ever been happy? 

And Elaine, always dressing like no one will notice she’s not 25.

The best thing this show could do for itself is clean the slate and start fresh with all new judges. (Keep Christian, though. He’s the only non-contestant I look forward to seeing.)

• Like 13
  • Applause 4
  • LOL 1

Forgot to mention that while watching this episode...when looking at Brittany during the judging ... I thought her hair looked like it had been styled exactly like a Maltese at Westminster.

• Like 1
  • LOL 11
(edited)
On 7/15/2023 at 6:50 AM, EtheltoTillie said:

I loved the backpack vest, and so did two of the judges.  Nina’s reaction to that outfit was irrational and mean. 

Did anyone here see the movie Limitless?

Without giving too much away the main character had something that was so beneficial to him   and possibly so valuable to others (if they knew about it) that he didn't want to leave it anywhere when he went out. He was having a tailor measure him for suits and he asked him to put a totally concealed containment pouch in the back of every suit jacket he was having made.

Kind of like if Fabio's backpack vest  was an innie.

Edited by T Summer
typo
  • Like 3
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1
On 7/14/2023 at 12:49 PM, Pj3422 said:

When Christian asked Bishme the significance of “42,” was anybody hoping — even a little bit— that he would reply, “the meaning of life, the universe, and everything”? 

I am reading this while watching baseball.  This is the first time that I connected “42” with both Jackie Robinson and “Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy” (same time connection, I have connected to both separately).

Also, I thought that it was interesting that the Blue Team had 2 looks with numbers and they were consecutive ones.  I wonder if they discussed it in the design phase.  I know the numbers have different meanings to the 2 designers, it just surprised me.  

• Like 5
6 minutes ago, Pixley said:

I am reading this while watching baseball.  This is the first time that I connected “42” with both Jackie Robinson and “Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy” (same time connection, I have connected to both separately).

Also, I thought that it was interesting that the Blue Team had 2 looks with numbers and they were consecutive ones.  I wonder if they discussed it in the design phase.  I know the numbers have different meanings to the 2 designers, it just surprised me.  

Yes, they discussed the numbers.  First the one person came up with 43 for the Haitian president.  Then the other one immediately said hey I'm going to do 42 for my sister.  It was coincidental that the numbers were consecutive.  I thought of Jackie Robinson too. 

4 hours ago, carrps said:

Forgot to mention that while watching this episode...when looking at Brittany during the judging ... I thought her hair looked like it had been styled exactly like a Maltese at Westminster.

I thought Brittany's design was too much like her last week's red pants design.  Wide bell pants with stitching and leg slits. 

• Like 8
(edited)

Did anyone read the article on this site's homepage titled Project Runway's All Stars Are tearing Each other Apart?

https://www.primetimer.com/groupchat/project-runway-all-stars-season-20-recency-bias-korto-kayne-anna-rami

You can also access it by clicking the word Primetimer above.

I agree with so much the writers put forth, but I have no idea why they'd say...

after discussing the criticisms of Anna "Brittany didn't seem to enjoy working with her  at all." or "As to Brittany's bad attitude, well I can't speak to that"

Why does Brittany rub so many people the wrong way? I really don't see it, myself. The worst thing I've ever though while watching her is that occaisionally she has such a look of excitement on her face I wonder if the producers urged her to do so.

Edited by T Summer
typo
  • Like 10
On 7/15/2023 at 10:54 AM, jabRI said:

I noticed it was oddly edited after Anna let her into the room.  I'm guessing Korto did a lot of back pedalling or passively aggressive tried to make it Anna's fault.  Either way, totally lacking in sincerity. I do believe Anna is forgiving but I highly doubt Korto actually apologized in a meaningful way, more like 'let's just put this behind us'.  

I’ve seen a few stories that hinted at this being more anger at the judges than at Anna. No other firm details than that — one of the models posted a cryptic message telling people to go to her You Tube channel for the scoop. Nope, hun, not helping to drive your traffic.

I think it’s easy to forget how things can be edited to advance a certain narrative. Korto is never going to be anyone’s best friend during the competition, and she will speak her mind. Anna will always be the fragile flower. So right there is a recipe for producer sleight-of-hand.

Things seemed to be back to normal this week, which is all that matters to me.

• Like 6

It was obvious the real beef was with the judges because they choose who wins. But they aren't gonna go after the judges so they just took their anger out on Anna. It was a very bad look, especially on Korto and Kayne. 

I thought Korto's non-apology was so clearly Production driven. And it even looked like it was probably filmed at some other time, like they went back later and shot her 'apology' and just put it in here to look like she went right to Anna with it.

• Like 11
  • Applause 1
(edited)
On 7/13/2023 at 11:29 PM, susannot said:

Has anyone noticed that model Mimi has won two weeks in a row?  She is awesome.  So gorgeous, so banging on the runway.

I knew Kayne's look would lose because he had the heaviest model.  Sorry, but that's just the way it is in fashion. That dress was sad and she did not look good in it.

I generally do not appreciate Mimi's contributions to the runway but the last two designers really did a great job of designing an outfit that fit with Mimi's overall look.

Too many of the designers try to put her in something that is super SUPER feminine and I think it butts up against the fact that while much of her body screams feminine, she has a more masculine-looking face.

The last two designers did a nice combination of hard/soft that really suited Mimi's overall look. 

Edited by Mahfouz
me no spell good
  • Like 1

I thought Fabio's shirt/backpack combination was really creative! However, not very realistic as a wearable thing that you can actually use. His model would have shown a LOT of boobage if she needed to take something out of or put something into her backpack. 

• Like 4
  • LOL 4
(edited)

I was routing for Kayne this season and didn't really like Anna until Kayne and Korto bullied Anna after placing in the top last ep, taking the joy away from her and making her admit that she didn't deserve it. Glad Kayne went home. Hope Korto is the next to go. I don't think Korto or Kayne would appreciate anyone telling them they didn't deserve to place. What a couple of sore-losing jerks!

edited b/c Anna didn't win, she was in the top.

Edited by LindaT
Edited b/c Anna didn't win, she placed in the top.
  • Like 10
28 minutes ago, LindaT said:

I was routing for Kayne this season and didn't really like Anna until Kayne and Korto bullied Anna after her win last ep, taking the joy away from her and making her admit that she didn't deserve it. Glad Kayne went home. Hope Korto is the next to go. I don't think Korto or Kayne would appreciate anyone telling them they didn't deserve a win. What a couple of sore-losing jerks!

Anna didn't win. She was just in the top. Brittany won last episode.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, carrps said:

Anna didn't win. She was just in the top. Brittany won last episode.

Thanks, Carrps! I stand corrected.  This makes the bullying even worse: bulling someone for their placement who didn't even win.

• Like 6
  • Applause 2
On 7/13/2023 at 10:59 PM, CherryMalotte said:

I really hated the orange.

When they showed the pre-scene of the judges saying something looked like a Halloween costume I felt sure they had to be referring to the Red Team because that particular orange and green screamed Halloween into Thanksgiving at Hobby Lobby. Now, if they had chosen neon colors it would have been more appropriate to the era.

On 7/13/2023 at 10:59 PM, CherryMalotte said:

Maybe it was just the dress that Bishme made,  was not a fan of that look and material.  He had a luscious full figure gorgeous model, and I didn't think it did anything for her.  Could be just me though.  

Not just you. I look forward to the day designing for a fuller figure means more than simply making an outfit large enough to fit a body instead of designing a something that actually flatters and looks good.

Again this week the judges managed to get it right in terms of winning and losing but rest of what they had to say was nonsense for the most part.

• Like 5
On 7/14/2023 at 6:39 AM, pally said:

on the losing team, my favorite was actually Anna's pants.  The plaid worked well there and I loved the flare

Anna said she'd never worked with plaid--and then every last seam on those pants was PERFECTLY aligned.  (Including the four-way intersection at the bottom of the crotch, which you could examine courtesy of the vag-cam stationed at the foot of the stairs.)

Impressive, Anna!  More of that stepping up, please--show those mean girls.

• Like 12
(edited)
On 7/13/2023 at 7:32 PM, Straycat80 said:

The right team won although I don’t remember floral design or sleeping bag puffer outfits being popular in the 90’s. 

Yeah, what was with the Grateful Dead roses (which started in the 70's)? *

image.png.1309f2ba29a954e1c36fd970551779de.png

I do remember a friend desperately wanting a puffer jacket some time in the 90s and her trying one on at Camden Market.  She is short and was a little on the heavy side, so I steered her away from them.  She has since thanked me.

* I see from the close up that they're not roses, but I stand by my comment cos that's what it looked like to me!

Edited by Leeds
  • Like 1

I will always associate tartan and fashion (I use the term lightly) with The Bay City Rollers, who were huge in the 70s.  A repressed, uniform clad, all-girls' school attendee at the time, I drooled over Woody (first on the left).  It must have been the hair.

Then came Vivienne Westwood.  I wonder whether she ever credited the boys as an inspiration?  😁

image.thumb.png.d8ab38b9d61548bbbd9d54b3b2737f21.png

• Like 6
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
On 7/14/2023 at 1:03 PM, dleighg said:

Seriously! How hard is it to do 3 minutes of googling to find out whether boomboxes were representative of the 90s. I also had a question about those polaroid instant cameras; I DEFINITELY remember my parents having one of those in my teen years in the 70s, but perhaps they were a "retro" thing in the 90s and reappeared. I wouldn't know; I had two little babies then so it's a black hole in my memory. It really felt like they were channeling the 80s rather than the 90s with the props; I'll agree that the grunge/plaid was a thing in the 90s. Eighties fashion was leg-warmers and long sweaters worn over leggings as I recall.

Unless things have changed, designers don’t have access to technology to do research (unless it’s part of the challenge). It was one of the early seasons where a designer was dismissed for having design books in his room, and the season of the twins where they had measuring equipment (I think) in their rooms. I can’t remember what happened with them, but it was considered a serious breach.

I also notice that people are posting about Korto’s “onomatopology” (sounds like an apology, but isn’t really one), but no one mentioned that we saw no scenes of Kayne apologising. He spoke just as harshly to Anna as Korto did. 

• Like 10
3 hours ago, hula-la said:

Unless things have changed, designers don’t have access to technology to do research (unless it’s part of the challenge). It was one of the early seasons where a designer was dismissed for having design books in his room, and the season of the twins where they had measuring equipment (I think) in their rooms. I can’t remember what happened with them, but it was considered a serious breach.

Claire, half of the utterly unbearable, talent-challenged, nails on a chalkboard-voiced twins was disqualified for using a tape measure that she had in her room, and was "stripped" of a win (presumably money or a prize had been involved or that would be meaningless).

• Like 2
8 hours ago, hula-la said:

Unless things have changed, designers don’t have access to technology to do research (unless it’s part of the challenge)

I wasn't talking about the designers. The producers of the show had Christian walk in (in sillouette) with a boombox to introduce the challenge.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, hula-la said:

I also notice that people are posting about Korto’s “onomatopology” (sounds like an apology, but isn’t really one), but no one mentioned that we saw no scenes of Kayne apologising. He spoke just as harshly to Anna as Korto did. 

Another reason I believe that the Producers staged that apology and that it actually was filmed further into filming and they just added it in here.

• Like 2
On 7/13/2023 at 7:59 PM, CherryMalotte said:

I agree with the win Laurence had.  It was a fully conceived outfit that would fit in with the 90's and today.  However...

I really hated the orange.  That was power pop 80's look, not 90's.  And I normally like orange, have t-shirts in orange.  Maybe it was just the dress that Bishme made,  was not a fan of that look and material.  He had a luscious full figure gorgeous model, and I didn't think it did anything for her.  Could be just me though.  

I thought Bishme's look was awful  As others have said it was terribly unflattering and the color and texture of the fabric reminded me of a wrinkly satsuma/mandarin skin.

image.png.0ee66dadb17285170aa3cb6af8424b1d.png

• Like 3