Type keyword(s) to search

OLTL Outside Llanview: The Cast In Other Roles

• Start Topic

25 minutes ago, UYI said:

The Catholic aspect of the movie made me think about how crazy PM's departure was from the show; objecting to the idea of Kyle & Fish being a couple/not thinking she would accept Cristian as gay (when I think he was pretending he was for some reason or another? I can't remember why, though), to the point where she actually re-wrote her dialogue (!!!!!!). Just wild. 

It was a misunderstanding over a book Cris bought for Fish to help him come out to his parents:

I do enjoy Carlotta's line about it making sense because none of Cris' (many) romantic relationships worked out, heh.

But yeah, it's lighthearted and three minutes total, why she thought she could get away with rewriting it is beyond me.

• Useful 1
(edited)
32 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

Is B&B as bad at using actors as GH?

B&B is infamous for hiring well-known soap actors, giving them some big story for a few months, only to banish them to the backburner once they're deemed irrelevant. There are exceptions, like fellow OLTL alumni Scott Clifton and Thorsten Kaye, but they're few and far between (and in Kaye's case he was a recast of one of the main characters of the show's core family, which is different from a flavor of the month newbie; no wonder he caught on at B&B). 

Also: Thank you for the context on the Carlotta stuff, @TeeVee329! I knew I could rely on you for all my Kish trivia needs. <3 :) 

Edited by UYI
  • Love 2

Melissa Archer and Jessica Morris are starting production on a movie they wrote together, Web of Deceit. It apparently took them eight years to get to this moment.

• Love 2
(edited)

Oliver's parents came to visit, found a book titled something like How to Come Out to Your Parents, Fish père assumed Cristian was gay, started a homophobic rant, Cris (a true friend) didn't correct his misapprehension, Oliver became so furious at how his dad was behaving that he angrily came out to them right then and there.

The book was a gift from Cris and Layla, the scenes Mauceri objected to were Carlotta spotting the book, also assuming Cris was gay, and immediately offering her support, while remarking on his bad luck with women and artistic nature, before Cristian told her he definitely wasn't gay. I don't think those scenes aired over more than two days, if that. They were comedic fluff, though also meant to contrast with the later scenes with Fish's dad.

Mauceri was not just a homophobe, she was an idiot. Those were the scenes she objected to? It wasn't even a storyline. Then of course, she made herself the victim, claiming to have been fired for her religious beliefs. Because refusing to do her freaking job apparently had nothing to do with being fired. (Or more accurately, since she wasn't on contract, simply being replaced.)

ETA: Ha! I somehow missed that @TeeVee329 already talked about this. I must have missed a page.

Edited by Melgaypet
  • Love 3
On 6/22/2021 at 6:49 PM, Melgaypet said:

ETA: Ha! I somehow missed that @TeeVee329 already talked about this. I must have missed a page.

MasculinePortlyBonobo-max-1mb.gif

But yeah, Mauceri came at this from barely a position, let alone one of power.  Antonio was (finally) gone, the diner basically became property of the Bonjour Café folks, even scenes with Cris were pretty rare at that point IIRC.

• Love 1
On 6/21/2021 at 9:08 PM, dubbel zout said:

That mustache is a mistake. Is B&B as bad at using actors as GH?

The hired Vincent Irizarry for a very short time as basically a day player doctor for a few episodes ( just looked at IMDB it says 10.) I don't know if something happened BTS or what but that was absolutely crazy to me. 

1 hour ago, TeeVee329 said:

Did B&B waste Hillary B. Smith a few years back?

I think so? I DO remember them wasting her BFF/former OLTL co-star, Crystal Chappell (then again, she wasn't playing a juggling nun like she did on this show, so maybe she didn't mind as much?).

• LOL 1

Wait, Jessica Morris wrote a screenplay? And someone put up money to produce it? Well okay then…🤨

in other news, I’m watching Grace and Frankie on Netflix and who showed up but Scott Evans. And his character’s name is Oliver lol! Sorry if this has been mentioned already. I’m a bit slow on the uptake 😀

• Love 3
(edited)
On 7/2/2021 at 7:32 PM, Sake614 said:

Wait, Jessica Morris wrote a screenplay? And someone put up money to produce it? Well okay then…🤨

It was her AND Melissa Archer. Whatever was wrong with Jen, JM seems like a sweet, kind of shy woman in real life, and they've been friends basically since the day they met on the OLTL set 20 (!!!!!--that was when I began watching the show; I was 12; YIKES!) years ago. :)

(And she and MA have barely aged at ALL.) 

Edited by UYI
  • Love 5

Don't judge me, but I think I'm actually going to watch this?

Whatever issues I had with Jen as a character/Jessica Morris as an actress, she seems like a really nice, kind of shy and quiet person in real life. And hey, Melissa Archer considers her one of her best friends, so she can't be ALL that bad, right? ;)

On 8/26/2021 at 10:46 AM, peachmangosteen said:

Tuc Watkins is in the second ep of the second season of The Other Two on HBO Max, which you should all watch because it’s a good show lol.

I just started it!  Thanks for the heads up about Tuc.  It IS good!

• Love 1

John Brotherton (Jared Banks) was apparently in the finale of "American Horror Stories".  As I said when Laura Harrier got cast in "Hollywood", never a bad thing getting-a-job-wise to be in Ryan Murphy's orbit.

• Useful 1
On 8/25/2021 at 11:56 PM, drtslim said:

https://www.soapsindepth.com/posts/one-life-to-live/erika-slezak-in-next-stop-christmas

Looks like ES will be in Hallmark Christmas Movie this year.

On 9/12/2021 at 9:04 PM, drtslim said:

Looks like John Brotherton will be co-starring in Candace Cameron Bure’s Hallmark Christmas movie this year.

Oooh a very OLTL Hallmark Christmas this year (I know 2 is barely a dent in the amount of Christmas movies they make but still.)

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
On 10/6/2021 at 10:56 AM, TeeVee329 said:

Just want to give a shout out to Shaun's amazing line/wtf reaction to having had to break up a Blair and Tea after fight. "Todd Manning is not worth it!"  

Edited by Gigi43
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1
On 9/20/2021 at 9:19 PM, Gigi43 said:

Oooh a very OLTL Hallmark Christmas this year (I know 2 is barely a dent in the amount of Christmas movies they make but still.)

Maybe they can finally make Christina Comes Home for Christmas!  😂

• LOL 5
  • Love 1

So Brett Claywell (Kyle Lewis) was on a podcast called "What's Your Name Again" (which seems to be about BTS stories in Hollywood) a few weeks ago, talking about his acting career and, in part, his time on "One Life to Live":

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/a-role-that-changed-the-world-with-brett-claywell-part-i/id1487772283?i=1000539324121

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/twitch-and-the-future-of-live-streaming-with/id1487772283?i=1000540054982

Some tidbits:

• As we know, Brett was originally cast as Schuyler (he says that he was replaced because he looked too old opposite Kristen Alderson, which I could see, but I also have to think that someone at ABC Daytime pushed to get Scott Clifton on the show) and he described Schuyler as being based on Ryan Gosling's character in "Half Nelson", which I never thought of even though that totally tracks.
  • He talks a bit about the scene where Kyle stops the wedding to Nick and confesses his love to Fish, that it's one that sticks out in his memory as having being very important to people and the gay marriage conversation.  He also says at one point that he did it in one take.
  • He tells the story we've heard about his firing (Frank dropped the bomb when he was at the studio submitting his pre-Emmy reel), but I forgot or didn't know that Frank was all, "Today was your last day" and Brett was like, "...I'm scheduled to film tomorrow" and Frank was then like, "Oh...then tomorrow's your last day."  Dick!  If you're letting someone go, maybe that's something you should know, Frank?
  • He mentions that there was an actress on contract who was there one day and then gone the next and replaced because she's couldn't handle the pace.  Couldn't figure out who that could have been during Brett's tenure on the show.
  • There's a bunch of talk about Brett having been super close to getting the role Sebastian Stan played in "Black Swan", that it was kinda a pivot point or the one that got away that could have taken him to the next level.  But...does anyone remember Sebastian Stan in "Black Swan"?  When people talk about that movie, it's just the women - Portman, Kunis, Hershey, Ryder.  Not that having an Aronofsky movie on his resume wouldn't have been a boost.
  • He was also apparently super close to getting Jesse Metcalfe's role in the "Dallas" reboot, which would have been fun.
  • Finally, sounds like he's out there auditioning for roles so maybe we'll see him pop up in something soon!
Edited by TeeVee329
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4
37 minutes ago, TeeVee329 said:

There's a bunch of talk about Brett having been super close to getting the role Sebastian Stan played in "Black Swan", that it was kinda a pivot point or the one that got away that could have taken him to the next level.  But...does anyone remember Sebastian Stan in "Black Swan"?  When people talk about that movie, it's just the women - Portman, Kunis, Hershey, Ryder.  Not that having an Aronofsky movie on his resume wouldn't have been a boost.

I looked Black Swan up on IMDb and Sebastian Stan played "Andrew/Suitor." Doesn't seem like much of a role tbh lol. 

Yeah, IIRC, it's like one scene where Portman and Kunis' characters go out and flirt with these guys.  You couldn't even call it the male lead because that's the ballet company director.

But again, of course being in a big movie like that, even in a bit part, would have been an accomplishment.

2 hours ago, TeeVee329 said:

He mentions that there was an actress on contract who was there one day and then gone the next and replaced because she's couldn't handle the pace.  Couldn't figure out who that could have been during Brett's tenure on the show.

I can't figure it out either. I can think of a handful female characters who were quickly shuffled off the show around that time- Vanessa and Lola Montez, and later Amelia and of course Rachel - but none of them were recast and (other than Daphnée Duplaix) I don't recall which, if any, were on contract.

And it would have to have been, I imagine, someone in Kyle's stories.  The only thing I could think of is maybe he misspoke about the contract part and it was Kim, that there was another actress in there before Amanda Setton we never knew about.

• Love 1

I happened to catch an episode of Dark Shadows on Decades TV the the other day (it runs from 5-6 am every morning).  

One of the actors was a much younger Anthony George, aka Dr. Will Vernon.  He played Jeremiah Collins, Barnabas’ uncle in the 18th century episodes, and Burke Devlin in the 1967 episodes.

• Love 1
On 11/6/2021 at 12:38 PM, TeeVee329 said:

The only thing I could think of is maybe he misspoke about the contract part and it was Kim, that there was another actress in there before Amanda Setton we never knew about.

It's entirely possible there was an actress who there one day, quit, and never aired because they quickly went with a replacement and re-shot her scenes. Although I'd be kinda surprised they'd go through the expense of that- maybe it was a small enough part before she left.

I definitely remember that Brett was originally supposed to play the teacher, but I'm glad he got this instead.

• Love 1
On 6/22/2021 at 10:22 AM, UYI said:

Melissa Archer and Jessica Morris are starting production on a movie they wrote together, Web of Deceit. It apparently took them eight years to get to this moment.

Looks like this has had a name change, but it's premiering as "Twisted Little Lies" on Lifetime Movie Network on December 17th. Melissa and Jessica are still listed as co-writers (and starring as well). Seems like it will fit right in on Lifetime, involving affairs, teachers/students, obsession, etc. I thought I didn't have LMN but it turns out I do, so maybe I'll check it out.

On 9/20/2021 at 6:19 PM, Gigi43 said:

It was on at my Mom's the other night. I was like 'Hey... is that Viki?' but then guess what? Matt Walton (*sob* Eli!) was in it too!

• Love 2

This is from September of last year, but Alan Locher just made public on YouTube his conversation with Erika Slezak, Mark Derwin, and Jerry verDorn. It was originally only available to those who had donated to the Daytime Stars and Strikes organization to benefit autism; this conversation was a part of that fundraiser.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, UYI said:

This is from September of last year, but Alan Locher just made public on YouTube his conversation with Erika Slezak, Mark Derwin, and Jerry verDorn. It was originally only available to those who had donated to the Daytime Stars and Strikes organization to benefit autism; this conversation was a part of that fundraiser.

Thank you!!

I just caught a performance of King Lear on the PBS All Arts channel.  The program is All Arts Vault.

The incomparable James Earl Jones is playing King Lear.  Ellen Holly (Carla Gray Hall Scott ) is great as the King’s daughter Reagan.

According to my channel guide, the show is airing on Tuesday and Wednesday of this week.

The performance was recorded in 1974.

Edited by marypat57
Edited to add the date of performance of King Lear
  • Love 1

Not a DAYS viewer, so I have no idea what Craig/Nancy thing that might be. Do tell, I want to judge!

(I do know who Craig and Nancy are, very vaguely - Craig is a doctor and they are the parents of the character -Zoe?-played by the beautiful if often overly-bronzed Nadia Bjorlin.)

I'm fuzzy on the backstory here too, but the short version is that Craig and Nancy are a popular couple from the '90s who, yes, are Chloe's parents.  So they just returned to the show and had Craig announce that he's gay and has been cheating on Nancy with a man.

Now, people are upset because this couple kinda broke the mold a bit in that Nancy is a more full-figured woman and Craig was always portrayed as deeply in love/super hot for her.  So now they're undoing all that by having Craig say he's been into men all along and chose to ignore those feelings and marry her, when they could have very easily made him bisexual and kept the core of their original arcs.  They're also being very stereotypical in portraying Craig's homosexuality, with lines like Chloe saying she should have known because he liked opera and Broadway musicals, ugh.  And it's all played out in, like, two weeks.

And Ron, I feel, is gearing up to defend himself in a classic Ron way.  He's (rightfully) knocking critiques about making the show "more gay", but ignoring the ones calling out how he's doing it in this story, with this couple.

I know it's a smidge OT, but it did get me thinking about Ron's writing and how he defends his writing choices and even how hit and mostly miss his LGTBQ stories have been since Kish.

Edited by TeeVee329
  • Love 4

Did someone ghost write Kish for Ron? Because Kish were great. Meanwhile, most of what Ron writes is... not great. And yes, that includes this nonsense with Craig and Nancy.

Back when Craig and Nancy were new 20+ years ago, the abuse Patrika Darbo took for not looking like a typical soap actress was horrific. (She even said in an interview that when she was first offered the role as Nancy, she told them they had the wrong person, they didn't want her.) And one of the things people loved to say-- partially because it was known that Kevin Spirtas is gay-- was that the only way traditionally hot Craig could possibly have been into not-traditionally-hot Nancy was if Craig was a closet case.  Because no man could ever ever ever think a woman "like that" could be attractive.

So of course Ron had to go and make it true.

FFS, if you want to do a late-in-life coming out story, don't undo a couple that was itself groundbreaking in the process.

• Love 6

...You guys have to be shitting me with this new Craig & Nancy stuff on DAYS. I only watched it for a brief amount of time in the early 2000's, but it was when they were first on with Chloe and they were ADORABLE.

I'm so angry with Ron right now, my God.

Topic? I'm still waiting for my James DePaiva/Fiona Hutchison Locher Room reunion, as always. Come on, Alan, give the people--well, okay, me, at least--what they want! 

• Love 2