Type keyword(s) to search

The View: Week of 6/26/2023

falltime
  • Start Topic

Monday, June 26 — Day of Hot Topics

Tuesday, June 27 —Andy Grammer

Wednesday, June 28 — The Political View with White House Press Secretary Karine Jean-Pierre

Thursday, June 29 — Day of Hot Topics

Friday, June 30  (OAD: 5/2/23) — Ellie Kemper (host, “The Great American Baking Show”); Deborah Roberts (author, “Lessons Learned and Cherished: The Teacher Who Changed My Life”)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

While I often find Whoopi's comments uninformed or inconsistent, I applaud her comments about polls and her warning that polls are not "definitive" due to the inherent flaws in them - poll questions can contribute to a biased viewpoint and the number and variety of people who respond to polls is far from universal. So, for example, if you poll 50 people who all work at the same place about labor issues, you might get a reasonable picture of issues at that business, but it doesn't reflect all businesses of all types. 

• Like 8
22 hours ago, TimWil said:

Looking forward to seeing how badly Whoopi and Joy mangle the pronunciation of “Prigozhin.”

They must've decided to save that topic for when Joy is there tomorrow, I don't think they discussed it today?

• LOL 1

I liked the back and forth of the Hunter Biden convo because it didn’t feel forced and everyone brought something to it (even Whoopi). Sara’s dissension felt more natural than when she’s just sticking up for Alyssa or trying to support her.

It was also funny how defensive Ana got about always being the late one. It is rude!

• Like 3
6 hours ago, TheGreenKnight said:

They must've decided to save that topic for when Joy is there tomorrow, I don't think they discussed it today?

They sure didn’t. I can picture Whoopi saying in the morning meeting “This story about Preego…Priggo…you know what, baby, let’s just do another segment about you-know-who, instead.”

• LOL 6
8 hours ago, TimWil said:

They sure didn’t. I can picture Whoopi saying in the morning meeting “This story about Preego…Priggo…you know what, baby, let’s just do another segment about you-know-who, instead.”

Remember "Ahmadinnerjacket"?

• LOL 7
33 minutes ago, Haleth said:

Remember "Ahmadinnerjacket"?

I was going to say the same thing.

Whoopi always acts like she is being put out by having to pronounce a name she hasn't taken the time to learn how to pronounce.  Like how dare they expect her to actually do her job.

• Like 12
  • LOL 2

OK.

I am so GLAD that Whoopi pulled Alyssa up about welfare and work requirements. Alyssa was showing her privilege and blind adherence to GOP talking points in that moment. Without even thinking about it, Alyssa was willing to punch down on poor people. 

From personal experience, and this was years ago: You DON'T get that much, and you already DO have to actively be looking for a job. I am glad that those benefits were there for me and my family during a time we were struggling. They are part of the societal safety net, and people shouldn't be shamed for using them. 

• Like 6
  • Applause 8
  • Love 2
(edited)

Well, for the second time this week, I agree with something Whoopi said (kind of shocking). GREED is one of the biggest reasons that politicians (as per the discussion) sell out, waffle, or fail to adequately represent their constituents. Obviously, there's greed for money, but greed for power, greed for status, greed for influence, to list a few, corrupt people who are not strong enough to resist. 

Edited by KittyQ
  • Like 8
On 6/26/2023 at 3:56 PM, geekburger said:

It was also funny how defensive Ana got about always being the late one. It is rude!

It was funny.  It IS rude.  Although I always enjoy Ana, she IS the EPITOME of ENTITLEMENT!  It seems to work for her.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, rollacoaster said:

From personal experience, and this was years ago: You DON'T get that much, and you already DO have to actively be looking for a job. I am glad that those benefits were there for me and my family during a time we were struggling. They are part of the societal safety net, and people shouldn't be shamed for using them. 

In Arizona, workers don't pay into the tax system for unemployment insurance (different states; different laws), but employers pay a good percentage toward this helpful/valuable safety net.  It's a "benefit" written into states' laws--and for good reason. Consider how even WORSE things would have been for victims of COVID (sick or not) if unemployment insurance weren't available.

• Useful 2
On 6/27/2023 at 5:16 AM, bluegirl147 said:

Whoopi always acts like she is being put out by having to pronounce a name she hasn't taken the time to learn how to pronounce.  Like how dare they expect her to actually do her job.

It's getting MIGHTY TIRESOME to watch her sit there assuming the camera will pan to her--with that extremely bored look on her kisser.  The producers should not pander to her.  IT'S RUDE, but of course, she's rude.

And another thing, whoever does her hair: studio personnel or Dreadlocks to the Stars.  SURELY you can do something so she isn't flipping those dreads (one in particular) constantly!  It appears that a professional isn't helping.  If THAT'S the way she wants it, at least give her some fancy clip or seven to keep them under control while I'm watching.  I'm in my 80s and it's too reminiscent of hearing (for years), "Get that hair out of your eyes or I'll cut it out!"  (It took decades, I guess, but I've now turned into my mother.)

• Like 3
  • LOL 11

The schedule really has been worse than useless these past weeks. I don't think Kim Cattrall was ever even listed this or last week, so random. I don't know who the guest was yesterday--I think Jason Alexander? The show was blacked out all through the guest portion through to when Andy Grammer started singing for me--boy, I wish Grammer had been the part that had been blacked out instead, oy vey. Lucky for Joy and Sunny at least, I think they got to leave early and not have to sit through that song.

A rare occurrence, but I thought Whoopi was the MVP on today's show between her smackdown of Alyssa at the end of the second segment (it's the few times she's relating to her own lived experience that she actually has something worthwhile to add, I guess) and the fluff topic when she was describing calling up somebody and telling them they didn't make the cut for a party.😄

• Like 4

I think they are having a hard time finding guests willing to cross the writer's picket lines.  So they are likely purposely not announcing guests beforehand so that they don't pressured not to attend.

• Like 4
  • Useful 2
1 hour ago, After7Only said:

I think they are having a hard time finding guests willing to cross the writer's picket lines.  So they are likely purposely not announcing guests beforehand so that they don't pressured not to attend.

If that's the case, why are the six co-hosts crossing picket lines?  If the show can't get guests because of the strike, perhaps the union members involved with "The View" should fully support it.

• Like 3

The "fluffy" topic - hostess doesn't want to invite someone to her annual party (4th of July?) because they had a disagreement, but husband recommends telling them that they aren't having the party this year. 

As fluffy as this topic is compared to politics, it is something that I can imagine someone struggling with it. The problem is that once you establish a yearly party, people who have attended it more than once expect to show up again. If the party is for a particular holiday like July 4, you can't really move the date to avoid the people you don't want there.  If your party has always been like an open house, then it is even harder to tell people not to show up unless you don't mind making the disagreement into a permanent break. 

Of course, depending on the dispute, the other person may not want to attend the party anyway, but you won't know unless you talk to them. Also depending on the dispute, maybe it would be worth everyone's time to talk it out so you can patch things up enough to socialize even if you decide not to be very close friends anymore. 

5 minutes ago, KittyQ said:

The "fluffy" topic - hostess doesn't want to invite someone to her annual party (4th of July?) because they had a disagreement, but husband recommends telling them that they aren't having the party this year. 

As fluffy as this topic is compared to politics, it is something that I can imagine someone struggling with it. The problem is that once you establish a yearly party, people who have attended it more than once expect to show up again. If the party is for a particular holiday like July 4, you can't really move the date to avoid the people you don't want there.  If your party has always been like an open house, then it is even harder to tell people not to show up unless you don't mind making the disagreement into a permanent break. 

Of course, depending on the dispute, the other person may not want to attend the party anyway, but you won't know unless you talk to them. Also depending on the dispute, maybe it would be worth everyone's time to talk it out so you can patch things up enough to socialize even if you decide not to be very close friends anymore. 

I can't believe people are paid to discuss a topic like this on a talk show.  This isn't fluffy, it's mind-numbingly boring.

• Like 7
  • LOL 1
23 minutes ago, sugarbaker design said:

I can't believe people are paid to discuss a topic like this on a talk show.  This isn't fluffy, it's mind-numbingly boring.

I read advice columns daily and this was a boring letter for that medium. This show sucks. There is so much to discuss and this is what they talk about? Unfortunately,  this is not a result of the writers strike. You can barely tell they are gone. 

• Like 7
23 minutes ago, GiveMeSpace said:

I read advice columns daily and this was a boring letter for that medium. This show sucks. There is so much to discuss and this is what they talk about? Unfortunately,  this is not a result of the writers strike. You can barely tell they are gone. 

I watch another show albeit one with more of a political bent but even they have better fluffier topics to discuss.

Kim Cattrall looked fabulous yesterday.  They say the best revenge is living well and she looks like she is doing really well.

• Like 4
19 minutes ago, bluegirl147 said:

Kim Cattrall looked fabulous yesterday.  They say the best revenge is living well and she looks like she is doing really well.

She looked and sounded great!  She took it well when Joy asked her if she played Miss Havisham!

39 minutes ago, geekburger said:

The Joy Ride interview was fantastic.

I'll definitely watch that when I get home.

• Like 2
  • LOL 1
(edited)

I’m a bit confused. Whoopi openly bristled about being referred to as an African American-“I’m NOT from Africa!” in the first segment but seemed to have no trouble referring to the cast of Joy Ride as Asian even though only one of them (Sherry Cola) is actually from Asia?

Edited by TimWil
  • Like 4
  • Useful 2
21 hours ago, geekburger said:

The Joy Ride interview was fantastic.

I watched it this morning, those young women were such a delight.  And they got two segments.  I'd like to ask the producers to leave Sunny off the panel of segments that feature guests who are starring in an R-rated comedy so we don't have to hear stupid stories like her 80 year old father didn't like it.  It brought the whole joyful vibe to a screeching halt.

• Like 8
21 hours ago, TimWil said:

I’m a bit confused. Whoopi openly bristled about being referred to as an African American-“I’m NOT from Africa!” in the first segment but seemed to have no trouble referring to the cast of Joy Ride as Asian even though only one of them (Sherry Cola) is actually from Asia?

Here's the thing...           I doubt if anyone at the table would bring it up to her.  She'll go OFF on that person (and we see how they tiptoe and fawn around her)...and her explanation will cause everyone to agree with her point--even while Sunny is sipping her...her... what IS in that cup?

• Like 5
  • LOL 2
22 minutes ago, Back Atcha said:

Here's the thing...           I doubt if anyone at the table would bring it up to her.  She'll go OFF on that person (and we see how they tiptoe and fawn around her)...and her explanation will cause everyone to agree with her point--even while Sunny is sipping her...her... what IS in that cup?

If  it’s 11 am it’s vegetarian bone broth. Where the bone comes in I don’t know.  

• Wink 1
  • LOL 2

Next week is reruns

Monday, July 3 (OAD: 5/9/23) - The Political View with Sen. Amy Klobuchar (D-MN) (author, “The Joy of Politics”); Teacher Appreciation Week

Tuesday, July 4 (OAD: 5/11/23) - Chris Tucker (“Air”); Chris “Ludacris” Bridges (“Fast X”)

Wednesday, July 5 (OAD: 5/17/23) - Sigourney Weaver (“Master Gardener”); Patricia Clarkson and Trace Lysette (“Monica”)

Thursday, July 6 (OAD: 5/18/23) - Michael J. Fox (“Still: A Michael J. Fox Movie”); Ariana Madix (“Vanderpump Rules”)

Friday, July 7 (OAD: 6/29/23) - Ashley Park, Sherry Cola, Stephanie Hsu and Sabrina Wu (“Joyride”)

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 2
  • LOL 1
On 6/29/2023 at 1:51 PM, TimWil said:

No need to be confused.  Whoopi prefers Black over African- American.  That is her right to chose how she would like to be referred.   It's not an uncommon position among Black or African-Americans.   I believe all of the ladies in the movie refer to themselves as Asian or Asian American.  So it was appropriate for Whoopi to do so also.   But if the ladies preferred to be referenced by their family's country of origin (Chinese, Taiwanese, Korean American etc) that should be respected as well.  

• Like 5
  • Useful 1
16 minutes ago, After7Only said:

No need to be confused.  Whoopi prefers Black over African- American.  That is her right to chose how she would like to be referred.   It's not an uncommon position among Black or African-Americans.   I believe all of the ladies in the movie refer to themselves as Asian or Asian American.  So it was appropriate for Whoopi to do so also.   But if the ladies preferred to be referenced by their family's country of origin (Chinese, Taiwanese, Korean American etc) that should be respected as well.  

Since living in the US I've been told not to say black but to always say African-American even though coming from the UK I've known mostly people with Caribbean heritage and saying the "b" word is common, most have no ancestry from slavery but rather British colonies that are part of the commonwealth who came here of their choice for lots of reasons. 

Is it just assumed that if someone is black & lives in the US that they are African-American or is it just better to not use either term ?  

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Shrek said:

Is it just assumed that if someone is black & lives in the US that they are African-American or is it just better to not use either term ?  

When I was in college I knew this guy named Al and didn't want to offend, so I asked him point-blank, "Do you want to be called black or African-American?" and do you know what he said to me? "I just want to be called Al"😎

• Like 12
9 hours ago, Shrek said:

Since living in the US I've been told not to say black but to always say African-American even though coming from the UK I've known mostly people with Caribbean heritage and saying the "b" word is common, most have no ancestry from slavery but rather British colonies that are part of the commonwealth who came here of their choice for lots of reasons. 

Black Caribbeans are also descendants of slavery.   Slavery occurred throughout the Americas and the Caribbean.  All are part of the trans Atlantic slave trade.   

African-American is not an offensive term.   It’s fine to use.   

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
On 7/3/2023 at 2:34 PM, After7Only said:

I remember Ashley Park specifically veered away from the terms “Asian” or “Asian American.” Instead she said something like “my culture.”

My “I’m a bit confused” remark was sarcastic. I continue believing that Whoopi was being mighty hypocritical using the term “Asian” to describe those actors when she herself expressed her disdain for an equivalent labeling of herself.

You'll never convince Sunny of that, because it seems that is what she wants to believe. 

There were a few things that Sunny said in the rerun today (Friday) that I thought were misleading or at least open to misinterpretation: When someone (Alyssa? Sara?) made a point that the experiences of many students varied (black kid of extremely well-off parents with good grades compared with white kid of poorer parents [Appalachia? potato farm in Idaho? Brooklyn?] with same grades applying to the same school), Sunny said that the poor white kid (PWK) couldn't understand the experiences of the rich black kid (RBK). I thought, of course not - PWK has probably only imagined about going to high-end elementary and secondary schools with all the benefits. Yes, she hasn't been subjected to the same kinds of discrimination that RBK probably was, but I suspect she would have experienced plenty of other types of discrimination in addition to having financial barriers to high-end education. Obviously RBK couldn't understand the life experiences of PWK either. Any combination of RK and PK are going to have vastly different life experiences good and bad.  I hope that Sunny's point was that we never know what other people have had to deal with regardless of their background and so should be understanding, and maybe look for what we have in common, but that wasn't clear in the moment.

• Like 2
On 7/7/2023 at 12:11 PM, Glitches said:

Sunny said, “This country was founded on slavery.”

No Sunny. It was not. 

Well, slavery contributed greatly to the US becoming a prosperous and dominant world force.

On 7/7/2023 at 7:56 PM, KittyQ said:

There were a few things that Sunny said in the rerun today (Friday) that I thought were misleading or at least open to misinterpretation: When someone (Alyssa? Sara?) made a point that the experiences of many students varied (black kid of extremely well-off parents with good grades compared with white kid of poorer parents [Appalachia? potato farm in Idaho? Brooklyn?] with same grades applying to the same school), Sunny said that the poor white kid (PWK) couldn't understand the experiences of the rich black kid (RBK). I thought, of course not - PWK has probably only imagined about going to high-end elementary and secondary schools with all the benefits. Yes, she hasn't been subjected to the same kinds of discrimination that RBK probably was, but I suspect she would have experienced plenty of other types of discrimination in addition to having financial barriers to high-end education. Obviously RBK couldn't understand the life experiences of PWK either. Any combination of RK and PK are going to have vastly different life experiences good and bad.  I hope that Sunny's point was that we never know what other people have had to deal with regardless of their background and so should be understanding, and maybe look for what we have in common, but that wasn't clear in the moment.

I think that the impact of social class is never discussed enough in the US. I read once that a person will have more in common, in some ways, with their social class than their race. I mean, my daughter, the Obama girls, Willow and Jaiden Smith and Blue Ivy are all Black, but my daughter is having a vastly different experience of life than my daughter, lol. And, trust, there would be some wealthy Black and Brown people impacted if they got rid of legacy admissions. 

• Like 2