Type keyword(s) to search

The View: Week of 6/19/2023

falltime
  • Start Topic

3 hours ago, Haleth said:

Fridays are always pretaped but I didn't know if they have the same audience or bring in a new one for taping #2.  I guess the "deja vu" joke means it's the same audience.

I think it was last Thursday Whoopi also said this audience looks familiar.  I assume they had taped Monday's show earlier that day.

• Sad 1
1 hour ago, boochay8888 said:

I believe the reason advertised guest aren’t coming on is because they are standing in solidarity with the writers on strike and won’t cross picket lines.

That makes sense. I wonder how far in advance guests are booked?  The strike has been going on for a couple months. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, boochay8888 said:

I believe the reason advertised guest aren’t coming on is because they are standing in solidarity with the writers on strike and won’t cross picket lines.

Yes that makes sense, but other than this week has there been a lot of no shows by booked guests? It only seems very off to me this week. Was it happening in the last 50 days?

(edited)

I loved Sunny’s lecture about not taking your coworkers opinions personally ,it’s  just their opinion. Her recommendation is to make stinky faces , suck in your mouth, sip your bone broth or turn your body away  after they give their  opinions.   

Edited by athousandclowns
Typo
  • Like 5
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 8
On 6/21/2023 at 10:29 AM, Haleth said:

Sorry, Alyssa but the Inflation Reduction Act is working. Inflation is still too high at 5ish%, but that’s so much better than it was over the past couple years. Quit with the misinformation.

On 6/21/2023 at 10:56 AM, GHScorpiosRule said:

And THIS is why I will never like her. She may come off as more pleasant, "nicer" and not as combative, but underneath all that, she's all about misinformation (if it doesn't suit her team) and what aboutisms, even when there's no there, there.

THIS. 

• Like 6
3 hours ago, athousandclowns said:

I loved Sunny’s lecture about not taking your coworkers opinions personally ,it’s  just their opinion. Her recommendation is to make stinky faces , suck in your mouth, sip your bone broth or turn your body away  after they give their their opinions.   

Allyssa looked very uncomfortable while Sunny was talking about not taking things personal.   For the most part, I agree that Sunny generally doesn't take things personal.   She might make faces, and do looks, but she's reacting to what's being said.  Specifically towards Allyssa, you don't see Sunny reacting to her negatively on any of the fluffy topics.   But she does try to hold to task on the topics she's feels strongly about.   

But there are always people who think that a person challenging or disagreeing with them is a personal attack.   

• Like 7
12 hours ago, Haleth said:

I guess the "deja vu" joke means it's the same audience.

Yep..it's deja vu way too often.

Can the show invite (on different days) the leaders of the two factions in the WGA strike?  I'd like to hear REAL information.  I also don't need Whoopi to explain again and agai (deja vu?)  why they can't carry on intelligent conversations due to the writers' strike.

• Like 5
(edited)
3 hours ago, After7Only said:

But she does try to hold to task on the topics she's feels strongly about.   

I haven't yet seen today's show, but Sunny shouldn't have to use passive-aggressive remarks (along with a beverage sip), smirks, etc. in order to hold someone she dislikes to task.  She could disagree without being disagreeable.  Since she's been nicer to Alyssa this week, maybe she's making a real effort to change.   

Edited by Gemma Violet
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, Back Atcha said:

I also don't need Whoopi to explain again and agai (deja vu?)  why they can't carry on intelligent conversations due to the writers' strike.

But what was her excuse before the writers' strike? 🤔 

• Applause 2
  • LOL 8
7 hours ago, After7Only said:

Allyssa looked very uncomfortable while Sunny was talking about not taking things personal.   For the most part, I agree that Sunny generally doesn't take things personal.   She might make faces, and do looks, but she's reacting to what's being said.  Specifically towards Allyssa, you don't see Sunny reacting to her negatively on any of the fluffy topics.   But she does try to hold to task on the topics she's feels strongly about.   

But there are always people who think that a person challenging or disagreeing with them is a personal attack.   

On that point, I thought Sara's comments about someone resorting to personal attacks simply because they can't beat a person's arguments applied to Alyssa, lol. Love her or hate her, Sunny has never had to resort to personally insulting Alyssa in their many back-and-forths, although it wouldn't be hard to do. The same can't be said for her.

Alyssa's condescending sneer at the end of the Supreme Court discussion was so repulsive, I was glad the audience clapped against her pretensions McConnell didn't already stack the court years ago. Her trying to compare The View to The Five is, much like her bringing up Barbara Walters recently, another putdown of the show she's being paid by much like the last co-host in that seat used to do. She may be more subtle and less loud than the last one, but causing havoc is her only purpose on the show all the same. If you don't like the show, feel free to leave any time, I say.

• Like 4
  • Applause 2

I interpretted today's discussion about personal attacks differently. It took me back to a couple of weeks ago when Sunny and Alyssa had a heated argument. I remember that on that day Alyssa accused Sunny of making things personal (which I do think she does with Alyssa). Therefore, today, I imagined Sunny as the person that makes things personal, not as the person that shouldn't take things personal. When she said "...you should never take it personal...", I thought it sounded a lot like a non-apolgist's "...I'm sorry you were offended..." I agreed with Sara when she interrupted to say "It's not that people take it personal, it's that people make it personal." 

just my take.

• Like 7
  • Applause 1

If I recall, the day of the blowup, Joy actually told Alyssa midway through "not to take it personal" as Sunny was reading out a list of facts. That makes it hard for me to read the discussion that way, personally. Don't get me wrong, I definitely don't think Sara meant to refer to Alyssa with her comments, it was just funny to me because Sara's statements did apply to her unintentionally, imo.

One thing I forgot to say earlier was how much I laughed at Joy not even knowing who Gutfeld is.

• Like 3
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, TheGreenKnight said:

One thing I forgot to say earlier was how much I laughed at Joy not even knowing who Gutfeld is.

I wish I could still not know who he is. He makes me think of Gremlins after they get wet.

• Like 1
  • LOL 2
6 hours ago, Blissfool said:

But what was her excuse before the writers' strike? 🤔 

Can't recall, but she ALWAYS had one...and one that required pontificating to the next commercial break 

5 hours ago, TheGreenKnight said:

And she said it with such innocence and ignorance, it was NOT a "line."   I know the name, but had to look him up to place the face (couldn't).

10 hours ago, After7Only said:

For the most part, I agree that Sunny generally doesn't take things personal.

I think Sunny DOES take things personally, but because it has been her lifelong problem, she knows (mostly) how to contain her immediate reactions.  She takes things personally (sips her "tea") and probably creates a permanent record.  If she doesn't do anything out of revenge, she will use these moments in her next novels.

• Like 6
(edited)
14 hours ago, TheGreenKnight said:

Love her or hate her, Sunny has never had to resort to personally insulting Alyssa in their many back-and-forths, although it wouldn't be hard to do.

But she did.  I can't remember exactly what Sunny said, but I was shocked she'd say something so personally insulting.

Was I mishearing or did Joy call Dermot Mulroney “Delmot” several times?

Edited by Haleth
  • Like 2
  • Applause 1
6 hours ago, Haleth said:

But she did.  I can't remember exactly what Sunny said, but I was shocked she'd say something so personally insulting.

Was I mishearing or did Joy call Dermot Mulroney “Delmot” several times?

Back around June 7, Sunny turned to Alyssa and said something like (my bolding here) "You are incapable of defending a man that you worked for..." - Maybe I'm too sensitive, but if someone said that to me, especially in a professional setting, I'd take that as a personal insult. After the commercial, Sunny came back and rephrased it as "Some people..." which I think was in response to someone pointing out how rude and insulting her previous comment was. Sunny also has many non-verbal ways of showing disdain and condescension when she makes faces, does something like take a long sip from her cup, turning away from the speaker when they are speaking, and so on. 

• Like 10
  • Applause 3
10 hours ago, Back Atcha said:

Can't recall, but she ALWAYS had one...and one that required pontificating to the next commercial break 

And she said it with such innocence and ignorance, it was NOT a "line."   I know the name, but had to look him up to place the face (couldn't).

I think Sunny DOES take things personally, but because it has been her lifelong problem, she knows (mostly) how to contain her immediate reactions.  She takes things personally (sips her "tea") and probably creates a permanent record.  If she doesn't do anything out of revenge, she will use these moments in her next novels.

Visually disagreeing with someone (the tea sipping, eyebrow raising, etc) is not a personal attack nor is it a response to a perceived personal attack in my view.   It's just a reaction.   Allyssa evoking Barbara Walters to me was more of a personal attack than whatever Sunny said towards her.  The closest I've seen Sunny get to the personal attack line was actually her comments towards Ana, when she basically said.  How can you still be a republican after XYZ things?   Ana was annoyed, but they are still friends.   

• Like 3
10 hours ago, Back Atcha said:

Yes, taking a sip and blinking to keep from eye rolling is exactly what I do when I am taking things personally. It's a tell, for sure. I also make a mental note for my next murder mystery. The latter is very satisfying--worth the trouble of writing one.

• LOL 3
13 minutes ago, After7Only said:

Ana was annoyed, but they are still friends.   

I find it hard to believe that they're truly friends.

13 minutes ago, After7Only said:

Visually disagreeing with someone (the tea sipping, eyebrow raising, etc) is not a personal attack nor is it a response to a perceived personal attack in my view.   It's just a reaction. 

My opinion: that lifting her mug--sometimes with an eyeroll--is a practiced, polished, and telegraphed reaction.  I definitely don't think it's even close to a "personal attack."  Still..I'd bet she's told various friends/associates, "If you see me 'sip' after certain remarks, you'll KNOW how I feel."  Whether she means it or not, I'm taking it that way because it happens too often.

• Like 2

As far as the June 7th thing that's referred to above, there Sunny was saying there's really nothing Alyssa could say to defend the people she worked for--the rest of Sunny's sentence, from what I remember, was something along the lines of "And what does that say about them?" I actually don't think Alyssa's Barbara Walters deflect was a personal insult either--it was an insult to the show, she was clearly playing into the article that had come out in the media a week or so before to get sympathy for herself which tells me all I need to know about what her motivation on here is. The only personal insult I've seen this season was Alyssa calling her fellow co-host "a disgrace." I take Sunny's mug-sipping as a sign of skepticism at something ludicrous being said by a guest or one of the other co-hosts.

Sara really is incapable of not BothSides-ing every single discussion, isn't she? It's almost comical at this point. I was glad Ana called her out for it. The refusal to take a real stance on anything is what gives an opening to someone like Alyssa to cause real damage. But this is a person who's said the opposite of almost every single opinion she's ever claimed to hold over the past 6 months, so I know I shouldn't be surprised at this point. It made me laugh that she tried to deflect criticism she's received for that yesterday by saying people simply can't take a nuanced discussion, or whatever self-serving spiel she went on. No, people just don't like people who say one thing yesteryear and then something else in the present. That's what selling out is. Don't blame long-time viewers for noticing.

I personally think Ana and Sunny are close friends. The fact that they're both lawyers, they can go at each other and then move on easier than the others.

• Like 4
2 hours ago, After7Only said:

Visually disagreeing with someone (the tea sipping, eyebrow raising, etc) is not a personal attack nor is it a response to a perceived personal attack in my view.   It's just a reaction. 

It's reaction, but also a response. "Attack" might be a too strong description, but generally speaking, if someone rolls their eyes, wrinkles their nose, or makes a hand gesture* after another person makes a statement, that person would correctly interpret those reactions as contempt, and it would be very hard to argue that there was no personal element there because a truly impersonal or objective response/reaction wouldn't include such negative expressions. 

* I am not saying that Sunny did these specific things; these are just examples of the kind of non-verbal behavior that people use negatively.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
5 minutes ago, BuckeyeLou said:

It was very dramatic when Dermot Mulroney walked off the set, but I guess the ladies had been warned ahead of time since they did not seem very upset about it. 

I must have missed that.  What happened?

• Like 2
31 minutes ago, BuckeyeLou said:

It was very dramatic when Dermot Mulroney walked off the set, but I guess the ladies had been warned ahead of time since they did not seem very upset about it. 

It's ok ... he was protesting the Writers' strike & the hosts knew about it.

• Like 4

The others are good sports and play along with all the ridiculous topics the producers choose as "current and interesting" because they (the producers) have no respect for their audience.

I suspect that choices in the show's content are not about the producers not respecting the audience, but that the producers are specifically beholden to commercial interests and promote and think of things commercial first and foremost. The View's hosts are just attractive, articulate, pleasant, funny, and well-informed tentpoles on which to anchor the "sell du jour."

In the battle between

1. art/highmindedness
  2. what is genuinely interesting to viewers and
  3. what is commercial and/or "paid for"

option "3" will always win in any and every endeavor unless it is privately funded. Unfortunately, this is the world we live in.

I see this catering, bowing and lowering to crassness happen in churches and faith-based organizations too. Sigh.

• Like 1
  • Applause 2
  • Useful 1