Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E02: Ties That Bind

Quilt Fairy
  • Start Topic

As the survivalists struggle to find their footing, signs of winter's onslaught motivates them to put their plans into action; some claim their first victories, while one participant grapples with an unexpected issue. 

Airdate: June 15, 2023

Poor Mikey.

His drop shock is lingering and combined with hunger and homesickness he is a wreck.

He says he can turn off all the aspects that will cause him to tap but it seems he has turned the dial to 11.

Taz making a tarp canoe that Lee predicted...

Taz's cool water bucket.

Taz's awesome gill net.

The winds make falling trees and under estimating your fire a hazard.

• Like 5

I think Mikey is a goner for sure. I'm not liking his chances even if he gets past this bout of nausea. He's already gotten lost and was exhausted after a three hour hike. (And he's never heard of Saskatchewan?)

There are always contestants that make a big deal out of their hunting skills and seem to think they are going to be able to hunt their way to the half million. But they are clearly used to hunting in familiar terrain where game is either stocked for them, or where they know to go because they know game is there. That's a completely different situation than being dropped off in unfamiliar terrain without knowing what kind of game or how much game will be there. And I'm amazed at how often this happens and how many of them don't seem to get that. It's really the difference between people who can do this sort of thing for real, and people who just play at it. {coughCADEcough}

I wonder how long it took Wyatt to make that gill line. We only got to see a time lapse of it without any kind of timer. That looks like something that would take all day. Same with Taz's boat.

I usually think conventional wisdom says don't waste all your energy on an elaborate shelter right out of the gate. It's still warm enough when they are first dropped off. Seems like food should be the top priority and the shelter can be built slowly. But with the wind storms they're experiencing, maybe the ones with the log cabins will actually do the best.

Interesting that they featured the five contestants that weren't featured last week (Mikey, Wyatt, Taz, Melanie and Ann) but also included Jodi again. I wonder if there is any significance to showing her two weeks in a row.

Out of this group I'd say Taz has the best shot. He lives in a tree house for Pete's sake. Then again that fire was a rookie mistake.

• Like 10
  • Useful 1

What Mikey says and his actual behavior are two different things.  I can't imagine he'll last much longer.

Ann is tiny.  I don't know if that will be a help or a hindrance.  She seems a bit quirky but she leads a life of physical activity so she may have more stamina than I think.  

When they first focused on the woman in a red shirt, she bent down out of sight of the camera then stood up and said something along the lines of not believing she did that.  I must have missed something because I had no idea what she was talking about.

I hope Taz got to eat some of his fish before the part he was smoking burned up.  I was afraid the fire would spread and burn his canoe.  It was interesting that he created that canoe in what seemed like no time when the fellow who made one in an early season worked on his for, as I recall, a couple weeks.  And then it sank.

• Like 4
8 minutes ago, mlp said:

When they first focused on the woman in a red shirt, she bent down out of sight of the camera then stood up and said something along the lines of not believing she did that.  I must have missed something because I had no idea what she was talking about.

She was peeing. She said she always pees outside her tent first thing in the morning. TMI if you ask me.

• Like 3
  • LOL 4

Almost all of the contestants start off with a lot of brave talk and hype and how they will endure and be the last one standing. I believe positive attitude is the skill and asset the final four bring to the table. The people who really enjoy the experience whatever it brings. I recall one season where they guy tapped out the same day he was dropped off. If you don't have a positive attitude you stop trying to procure food. You stop looking for new ways to procure food. 

I see one of the woman is expending ginormous amounts of energy on building her cabin. There is some logic to it but every contestant who ignored food to build a cabin always wind up with a calorie deficit they can't over come. The size of her cabin is going to be hard to keep warm which means more firewood. While the weather is decent build a minimal shelter and concentrate on getting and gorging on food as much as possible. I'd also pack on as many pounds as possible prior to going out. These thin people are really on the edge already.

I see 5 of the contestants are over 50. This might be the over all oldest group yet. There is something to be said for experience and maturity but I'd trade it for 20 years of youth. 

I expect my next week a few will drop out. The guy who lost his arrows appears to have youth and a good attitude. I expect he'll go far. 

• Like 1

Taz certainly looks like a contender.  I liked how casually he said "Think I'll go get that squirrel" and then just went and got it.  Also his canoe build may have been the most impressive boat build ever on Alone, no need for an outrigger or anything.   Surely there must have been something salvageable left of that fish.

Seems like the women are focusing more on the shelters, while the guys are just throwing a tarp over a stick and calling it done.  They say shelter is top priority in a survival situation, but that doesn't mean build a cabin.  We've seen contestants before blow all their energy on a shelter, only to find hunting season had come and gone and they were out of options.

I could do without the morning peeing and nude bathing.

• Like 4
(edited)
7 hours ago, iMonrey said:

He's already gotten lost and was exhausted after a three hour hike. (And he's never heard of Saskatchewan?)

I guess when he got his damn self lost he kind of proved Cade's point about how hard it is to find his quiver in that environment, however I think both of them should be embarrassed at how the first sign of adversity  they panicked. (that is how the editing showed it anyways)

7 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Then again that fire was a rookie mistake.

But he didn't seem to panic, not that they showed anyways. He seems like the kind of person that would just eat burnt fish. His canoe was beautiful!!

I don't remember a season when it was such a food vs shelter group, or maybe that is the way they are editing it.  

I liked Wyatt ("Freedom" yell aside / Canadians will know the reference) he is familiar with the landscape like Lee. Considering Taz is from Brazil I think he will go far. I loved his house in Mass. I also loved Melanie's house in NY state, although she just is a player in survival.

3 hours ago, iMonrey said:

She was peeing. She said she always pees outside her tent first thing in the morning. TMI if you ask me.

I used to pee out side of my tent (sorry TMI) but then once on a guided kayaking trip they said don't do that because the smell will attract animals so I'm no sure that is a good  idea,

Edited by Blackie
eta, clarity
9 minutes ago, Blackie said:

they said don't do that because the smell will attract animals so I'm no sure that is a good  idea,

Hmmm....  The peeing conundrum. 

Carnivore pee is supposed to work to keep animals away.  I've heard that peeing around the perimeter of your yard--presumably over time and not all in one dribbling line--is supposed to work to keep coyotes, deer, and other pests away.  Haven't tried it myself. 

I've also heard that the sodium and minerals in human pee will also attract animals, like a salt lick.

So.....which is it?  Pee attracts or repels animals?   Turns out it isn't recommended because it does attract some animals, like bears.  But then again, I found this article that goes the other way, and says human urine is very effective at repelling animals. 

I won't link to any more articles, but it appears from a cursory survey of the first page of Google links, the aggregate between actual science and woo-woo tinfoil hat survivalist sites is that human pee does act as a deterrent for quite a few animals, but also serves as an attractant for curious animals like bears.  So, I would say that tips the scales over to the "don't pee around camp" side, because you don't want your milkshake bringing those bears to your yard.

• Like 4
  • Useful 2
  • LOL 3
1 hour ago, HurricaneVal said:

I would have guessed it would have been like marking your territory.  But if there's one animal you don't want to attract to your tent, bears has to be up there.

1 hour ago, HurricaneVal said:

So, I would say that tips the scales over to the "don't pee around camp" side, because you don't want your milkshake bringing those bears to your yard.

Ah, so THAT'S what that song meant.

• Like 2
  • LOL 2
9 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Out of this group I'd say Taz has the best shot. He lives in a tree house for Pete's sake. Then again that fire was a rookie mistake.

But it happened pretty early in the game so he probably learnt something from it and where one fish came from there are other fish too . 

6 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Thanks.  I missed that completely - and I'm glad I did.  TMI indeed.

2 hours ago, Blackie said:

I guess when he got his damn self lost he kind of proved Cade's point about how hard it is to find his quiver in that environment

Perhaps - except Cade said he's an expert hunter and tracker.  It seems like he would have had some idea of which way he'd been walking and would have at least tried to retrace his steps.  Maybe he did and we just weren't shown that part.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1

Is it me, or are of these shelters looking very big?  Maybe it's the camera angles, but they all seem like they would be hell to heat.

I think Mikey talks a big talk, but he'll be out soon.  He's mentioned the family quite a bit and that is usually the sign that they are ready to go.

1 hour ago, mlp said:

Perhaps - except Cade said he's an expert hunter and tracker.  It seems like he would have had some idea of which way he'd been walking and would have at least tried to retrace his steps.  Maybe he did and we just weren't shown that part.

If we weren't shown that part, then that is really bad editing.  And if I was Cade, I'd be pissed because he looks like an idiot for not trying to find them.  

• Like 2
  • LOL 1
(edited)
10 hours ago, mlp said:

Both of them made some serious rookie mistakes like not marking their trail but mostly losing their cool/borderline panic which seriously hindered their thinking.  

8 hours ago, madmax said:

If we weren't shown that part, then that is really bad editing.  And if I was Cade, I'd be pissed because he looks like an idiot for not trying to find them.  

If you watch the time clock a few hours did go by, but they were definitely focusing on him loosing his shit.

Edited by Blackie
spelling
  • Like 3
(edited)
20 hours ago, rmontro said:

I could do without the morning peeing and nude bathing.

I feel like Wyatt (wasn't it Wyatt with the nude bathing?) couldn't wait to turn the camera on and capture that. Obviously there's tons we don't see, but I didn't need that to be almost my first view of Wyatt.

And it seemed like Jodi (?) really was embarrassed, so I assume she really didn't think about the camera.

Edited by mellyf
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, mellyf said:

And it seemed like Jodi (?) really was embarrassed, so I assume she really didn't think about the camera.

It was Melanie (sp?). the British lady from NY state. At first I thought it seemed set up but then I realized a trail cam set up is motion activated so ya you better watch our what you are doing when you walk out of your tent in the morning 😄.

(ps I know that was Melanie but right now I don't remember who Jodi was other than I wrote down she is from Wyoming😉🤷‍♀️)

• Like 1

I think they all are always alert to their Wilson camera. It’s all they have. 

So far one lost his quiver and arrows. One got lost and one burnt down their smoker!  Another one is puking from not eating  

I’m waiting to see who’s supply of food gets maggots as previously announced. 

I’m not real confident in this Alone group of participants!

Wyatt the Canadian could not be more Canadian, could he? Hit in the face by a hockey puck? He's probably better prepared than most of them. I bet it comes down to him or the Alaskan. We'll see. Mikey the Georgian is a waste of space. Everyone else is out there catching fish and foraging and killing squirrels and grouse and he's wandering around getting lost and exhausted at 10:38 in the morning. Useless.

• Like 2

I wonder if they are having a hard time casting!  These last few seasons have been brutal.

Plus I'm guessing Alone cast members burn up the wires with each other and I'm guessing there are lots of health problems after a season and no health insurance.

Would love to be a fly on that wall!

On 6/16/2023 at 11:38 AM, iMonrey said:

I think Mikey is a goner for sure. I'm not liking his chances even if he gets past this bout of nausea. He's already gotten lost and was exhausted after a three hour hike. (And he's never heard of Saskatchewan?)

I thought the same things.  If he's such an expert wouldn't he always be aware of where the sun was in the sky relative to him and his camp and use that to help him navigate his way back?  But then I saw that the sky looked rather cloudy and white behind him so perhaps he was thrown off by that.  They made mention of the "drop shock" they feel when they are first set down.  I have a feeling that lasts for a few days or at least until they get acclimated to their new environments.  Although for some reason he didn't impress me as much as some of the others so far especially when he said he never heard of Saskatchewan.  I felt like he risked getting even more lost by continuing to walk while feeling panicked and disoriented.  At least rest for a few minutes and try to calm down and get your bearings before running yourself into the ground.  He probably got exhausted so fast partly because of the fear of not finding his way back before sunset.

On 6/16/2023 at 9:57 PM, mlp said:

I think these people are probably so used to using their foot tracks and other ground clues to find their way back that they aren't used to having to rely on the sky for assistance.

This reminds me of a recent incident in my own life.  I was in a store parking lot when I noticed an ominous looking storm in the distance in the sky.  A woman asked me if I thought it was coming towards us.  I looked at the position of the sun and knew that at that time of the afternoon it was already heading Southwest, so given the way these storms generally track from West to East and where it was relative to the sun I thought that it was going away from us, not towards us.  She looked at me like I had 5 heads after I explained it to her, but thanked me.

My father told me a story from his military days a million years ago.  He and some other soldiers were sent out into a forest with no navigation assistance like a compass and told to walk for a certain amount of time and then find their ways back to the base.  He got back first using nothing but the glow of the lights in the dusk sky to find the base.  The others that were sent out took much longer to find their ways back.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Jeanne222 said:

I wonder if they are having a hard time casting!  These last few seasons have been brutal.

Plus I'm guessing Alone cast members burn up the wires with each other and I'm guessing there are lots of health problems after a season and no health insurance.

Would love to be a fly on that wall!

I don't know about "a hard time casting"; people seem to love being on TV, and the prize is a great lure! "Alone" has had more seasons and offshoots (Australia!) than many another show.

Plus, there's the Unknown X Factor: Whose skills just can't  override loneliness; fear; lack of finding food but not for lack of trying; excess weight loss; weather conditions. "Brutal" is the deal, not the glitch.

I don't think there have been "lots of [lingering] health problems," as the reunion episodes have pretty much shown the participants doing well, or at least as well as they originally  were. 

As for their having "no health insurance," it would be theirs to obtain, this being the ridiculous United States of No Universal Health Care America. In any case, they aren't employees of the show or network.

We also don't know what all is included in the agreements they must surely sign in order to participate (e.g., that they agree to depart without argument if the medical team determines it necessary; that they consent to their families' being shown; that they don't cheat with what and how much they can take with them; etc.).

I find "Alone" to be a rare opportunity for people with abilities, learning, and skills rarely observed let alone rewarded in modern America to show, and yes, show off, what they can. For me, I have learned so much from this show, because  it depicts ways of survival in "Nature, red in tooth and claw," that I can barely comprehend  in my suburban house. Yeah, cooking shows. Yeah, fashion shows. Yeah, game shows (was on "Jeopardy"). But Saskatchewan? The Arctic? Mongolia?! Wowza!

I suspect and truly hope that all who compete are proud of themselves.

Because pride of accomplishment is right up there with and maybe surpasses the money.

And that's ultimately why I think there is no dearth of hopefuls. 

• Like 7
  • Useful 1
2 hours ago, LennieBriscoe said:

Yeah, game shows (was on "Jeopardy"). But Saskatchewan? The Arctic? Mongolia?! Wowza!

I suspect and truly hope that all who compete are proud of themselves.

Because pride of accomplishment is right up there with and maybe surpasses the money.

And I know from experience that you don't have to WIN on Jeopardy to feel like a champion (and probably on a lot of competition shows, including Alone. 

My goals on Jeopardy:

- Make it through the first round of testing.

- Don't look like an idiot in the preliminary interview.

- Don't trip going around the backdrop.

- Don't look like an idiot when being interviewed by Alex Trebek!!  (He liked me and laughed at one of my comments.  Even said - for millions of people to see and hear - "I love your sense of humor!")

- Don't be at bottom at the end of Jeopardy.

- KNOW the Final Jeopardy answer.

Scored on all those points, so even though I didn't win, I won.

So maybe the contestants on Alone have interim goals that make it less traumatic if they don't make it to the end.  

- Build shelter

- Find enough food so that starving won't cause you to be medically tapped

- Don't poison yourself

- Etc.

If you meet those goals, maybe you can leave the game with no shame if you just can't tolerate the cold or being alone.  Some folks probably need to feel a little bit ashamed (like the guy from Baltimore who didn't even spend ONE night out there after being dropped off).

• Like 1
  • Love 1
19 hours ago, Jeanne222 said:

One got lost and one burnt down their smoker!  Another one is puking from not eating

The one who got lost is the same one who is puking from not eating. Also, he actually caught a grouse, so he's eaten. Maybe he didn't cook it well enough.

• Useful 4
On 6/18/2023 at 12:05 PM, AZChristian said:

If you meet those goals, maybe you can leave the game with no shame if you just can't tolerate the cold or being alone.  Some folks probably need to feel a little bit ashamed (like the guy from Baltimore who didn't even spend ONE night out there after being dropped off)

I'm sure you can leave Alone with no shame without winning.  But if you're wanting that $500,000, it's probably going to be disappointing on some level.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
4 hours ago, rmontro said:

I'm sure you can leave Alone with no shame without winning.  But if you're wanting that $500,000, it's probably going to be disappointing on some level.

I can agree with that!

• Like 2
On 6/17/2023 at 6:24 PM, LennieBriscoe said:

I'm  rooting for the older woman who farms. She has a hard life. 

If you mean the woman who is building a mansion you better lower your expectations. I think it would be cool as a hobby to build a top notch cabin at my leisure with a RV nearby. I was thinking also they should consider building a windbreak on the side of the shelter that faces the brunt of the wind. If standing up is important digging two or three feet deep would have a lot of advantages. Your shelter wouldn't have to be as high.

• Useful 1
(edited)
On 6/21/2023 at 6:46 PM, DrewPaul2010 said:

If you mean the woman who is building a mansion you better lower your expectations. I think it would be cool as a hobby to build a top notch cabin at my leisure with a RV nearby. I was thinking also they should consider building a windbreak on the side of the shelter that faces the brunt of the wind. If standing up is important digging two or three feet deep would have a lot of advantages. Your shelter wouldn't have to be as high.

How did you read "rooting for" as my having "expectations," never mind any that I "better lower"? Moreover, I don't get the rest of your post as anywhere near relevant to mine. Maybe a paragraph break would help?

Edited by LennieBriscoe

I was just thinking back when I was a kid of about 8-10.  Back when kids were safe and could be outside with no worries.

Our band of maybe ten made a camp in the woods.  We dug a huge square hole in the mud.  We even made two long mud benches for seating.  I can't remember what the roof was made of that it didn't fall in on us!  

Thinking back on that I've wondered how we did that and just how safe it was!

My point being why don't they dig deeper for their shelters?  I wonder if the fire for warmth might not allow that.

On 6/28/2023 at 2:28 AM, Jeanne222 said:

My point being why don't they dig deeper for their shelters?  I wonder if the fire for warmth might not allow that.

There have been more underground type shelters.  They use a lot of calories, tho, and it really depends on where their location is if it's even feasible to do.

• Useful 1