Type keyword(s) to search

Utopia (US) Live Feed Discussion

Re: The cellphone cases. Those are cases that Cal made previously and brought with him, and should he actually sell one I'd be interested to see what he does with the money. As for how the skins were treated, apparently people who know how to tan hides say that he did it wrong. He tanned using brains (?) and was supposed to finish off by smoking them. Cal failed to smoke them, so they smell pretty darned bad. Cal also treated his buckskin clothing the same way, so the other topes often smell him before they see him. 

BTW, he has somewhere between five and seven of those outfits, and they're for sale too! Who wants to pay out the nose for improperly tanned buckskin clothing that comes complete with Cal's own sweat and body odor mingling with the smell of the already pungent buckskin?

I remember it was A Very Big Deal when Cal took a shower in honor of Rob's wedding.  There was some grousing that he bailed out on the work, but it was good that he was sluicing off the stink.

How can both Hex and Nikki have snuggled in with that rancid blowhole?  The Topes must all be nose blind.  (TM Febreze)

I'll have to check out the $150 cases, because I do love a bargain.

• Love 5
miss the in depth recaps some of you were doing. Is it too painful to watch now?

Must be.  I finally got around to looking at some of the broadcast shows on tivo and man, there wasn't a single genuine moment in the 20 minutes or so I could stomach.  Nothing but fake interactions, fake drama, fake 'concerns' and set-up for further fakery.  There's just nothing to see here.  And I watch Survivor so it's not like I'm allergic to manufactured nonsense.

Edited by henripootel
  • Love 2

Yeah just found it and took al ook. No Bella paintings, Chris's paintings look, well, awful, Cal's stuff is just gross and the jewelry is boring. Some of the bids on dates are a bit surprising.

Are we to believe that some one bid $3000 to spend two hours with Aaron or Kristen?    And from what I gather, you just hang out with the group (though Josh did take his "dates" fishing) - if that's the case, spend $20 and walk in the gate as a "visitor."  It wouldn't surprise me to learn that they managed to send in "bids" themselves to inflate the price.

It was interesting to see someone bid $3500 for a date with Bella --- I wonder if that is more mean kids setting her up or if someone is genuinely interested meeting her.

• Love 3

It got switched to tuesday through monday because she didn't want to cook with the leftovers and demanded to have a full week to cook with the full weeks budget.

Really?!  Well, you go, grrrrl! 

(About damn time.)

• Love 6

I miss the in depth recaps some of you were doing. Is it too painful to watch now?

I've just had a busy weekend, so not much time for the Dopes. Sunday morning when I had time was church, so nothing interesting to report there. Mike and Ernesto spent some time out in the boat fishing (I guess that the pond has been cleared) and Mike is still on his best behavior as far as I can tell.

Cal and Nikki were planning the menu, which as was mentioned above, she actually gets to shop for now. I understand why she wants Cal's help - he lives in a place where cooking means cooking for 12 or so, and it's very intimidating to do that scale of cooking if you're not used to it. However, although I think that Cal really does want to help her, he has strange ideas. She mentioned wanting to get garlic, and he said first that it was too expensive, then that since they've got a skeptical audience for healthy food, they want to make sure it doesn't taste too "weird." I don't know if even this crowd is going to find garlic weird. Then he says he wants curry, although I think that was eventually nixed, too (much more sensibly). Then she was talking about what they were going to have for protein on a vegetarian night, I believe, and he suggested hummus. Hey, I love hummus, but it's 1. kinda weird for people who aren't used to it, and pretty much what they think of when they think of stereotypical vegetarian food, and 2. not really something you would be eating a lot of as a "protein" for a meal.

This morning Bella was back in the garden at Cal's suggestion, helping him plant carrots. She was doing this in a shirt and a thong. Why? I have no idea.

• Love 8

They should show us production tearing their hair out.  I would totally watch a reality show that shows a bunch of goofballs derailing each and every plan by the producers.

That might be the best elevator pitch FOX has gotten all year.  GREENLIGHT THIS THING !!!!!

• Love 5

She mentioned wanting to get garlic, and he said first that it was too expensive, then that since they've got a skeptical audience for healthy food, they want to make sure it doesn't taste too "weird." I don't know if even this crowd is going to find garlic weird.

Garlic??

What the hell? Do they think that Topes are going to accept some sort of ETHNIC food? They're Americans, and they don't need no stinkin' garlic!

Edited by In Pog Form
  • Love 3

Garlic??

What the hell? Do they think that Topes are going to accept some sort of ETHNIC food? They're Americans, and they don't need no stinkin' garlic!

Yeah, it's baffling. Garlic isn't expensive or at all unusual. Are they going to eventually give up and go with a diet of Pop Tarts, PB&J sandwiches, dinosaur shaped chicken nuggets, and french fries? They seem afraid of anything you can't get off a kid's menu.

• Love 5

So, did anything become of this (Jokers):

Rob and Taylor found a note with a fork stuck through it in the yard where the hydroponics styrofoam was at. The styrofoam was gone and the note said "Thank you for the hydroponics. Your Neighbors" So Rob apparently jumped the fence and got a folding chair that production had left there. He wrote a note saying, "Thanks for the chair, Bro. Your move."

Was this supposed to be the big bombshell that Kroll was promising? Some stupid game with Production supposedly stealing their stuff and making a clue trail? I suppose that kind of thing would validate the bullshit scheming, stealing, and lying of the Kool Kids Klub.

Perhaps they're trying to recreate Lost without any of the things that made Lost interesting? Next thing you know, they'll be hosting a murder mystery dinner party.

Edited by In Pog Form
  • Love 5

maybe "your neighbors" are going to be part of the show.    the folks from the neighboring commune show up ready to rumble, but Nikki talks them into trying some peace-yoga instead.  

so they merge! 

the new tribe bonds with a snack of fresh honeycomb, followed by a toast with stolen champagne.

Edited by clod
  • Love 2

Interesting development.....earlier today a government meeting was called with everyone in attendance except Aaron, of course.  Rob stepped down as chonkin, sounding frustrated and irritable.  He nominated Amanda to take his place, then Hex stepped in with a nomination for Dedeker.  Each gave a short campaign speech and the group voted--8 votes for Amanda, giving her the win.   Hours later, Hex and Taylor in the barn together whispering.  Taylor said "when is Rob supposed to walk?"  Then inaudible mumbling and Taylor's voice again, whispering "damn, he's just going to walk away from 9 grand."  If Rob does walk, I supposed it will be treated the same as when Red left, or would the Udopians actually lose 2?  That would be awesome!

• Love 6

Hours later, Hex and Taylor in the barn together whispering.  Taylor said "when is Rob supposed to walk?"  Then inaudible mumbling and Taylor's voice again, whispering "damn, he's just going to walk away from 9 grand."  If Rob does walk, I supposed it will be treated the same as when Red left, or would the Udopians actually lose 2?  That would be awesome!

According to live feed updates, production canceled the food order placed on Friday -- so Rob didn't get his frozen pizzas, but everyone else is kind of pissed too. And Rob has indicated that production may take away Internet access hours because they have been wasting time browsing for shoes and cars.

And now Kristen is threatening to lead a mass departure.  My opinion Kristen -- go ahead. Leave. Now. Please.

ETA: And why are they still using Mike's form of government, electing Amanda as the Chunkins/Chonkins/whatever this afternoon ?  WTF ?

ETA2: After Rob threatens to quit and Kristen starts grumbling about leading a revolt, they get their food order.  Rob has finally learned the lesson that Red learned early on -- threaten to quit and get your way.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 10

And now Kristen is threatening to lead a mass departure.  My opinion Kristen -- go ahead. Leave. Now. Please.

Amen.

Thanks for the update otto.  Is that why Kristen is outside ferociously digging a hole?  Its only on cams 1 and 2 and there is no sound.  

They just received a food order for over $400 but I think it was for several different people--there were 3 different bills.  

I don't know why they're still using Mike's government protocol--maybe they voted to keep it?  

Edited by 4leafclover
  • Love 2

Then inaudible mumbling and Taylor's voice again, whispering "damn, he's just going to walk away from 9 grand."

Wait, what "9 grand" are they talking about?

ETA:

They're still using Mike's dumb government terms such as "Chonkins"? What the hell?

Edited by In Pog Form
  • Love 2

I'm amazed at their obsession with frozen pizzas, but I guess even pizza seems hard if you can't manage pancakes.

ETA2: After Rob threatens to quit and Kristen starts grumbling about leading a revolt, they get their food order.  Rob has finally learned the lesson that Red learned early on -- threaten to quit and get your way.

When this thing gets cancelled, I hope production shuts off the internet, stops the food orders and whatever other crazy perks they have to force them to stage a dramatic walk out only to discover it doesn't matter.

• Love 3

I was wondering what was wrong with Rob today (more wrong than other days) and thinking he might quit. I've heard a lot of partial conversations about someone with "one foot out the door."

Edited to add: Pog, they are getting a $1k/week stipend for being there. My understanding is that they don't get the payout if they quit, only if they are voted out.

Edited by Etta Place
  • Love 3

I'm amazed at their obsession with frozen pizzas, but I guess even pizza seems hard if you can't manage pancakes.

I'm wondering if it might not be a more rational thing than we assume (bear with me here) - perhaps they like frozen pizza because they are likely to be relatively sterile and free from contamination. The same thing could not be said for a pizza made from scratch in Utopia.

Pog, they are getting a $1k/week stipend for being there. My understanding is that they don't get the payout if they quit, only if they are voted out.

How can that possibly be legal? I've mentioned this before, but I think many of these "people" may have been misled about the nature of their contracts.

• Love 3

I'm wondering if it might not be a more rational thing than we assume (bear with me here) - perhaps they like frozen pizza because they are likely to be relatively sterile and free from contamination. The same thing could not be said for a pizza made from scratch in Utopia.

They ate the cake, pancakes, and all kinds of other things Aaron has made with his minimal sanitation standards. At the point where he's not even washing up before making stuff and poking the food before serving it to people, I have to assume the frozen pizzas are laziness and/or lack of skill over sudden concern for avoiding contamination.

How can that possibly be legal? I've mentioned this before, but I think many of these "people" may have been misled about the nature of their contracts.

They almost certainly have been mislead, but there may well be penalties built in for if they quit. It's reality, and those contracts are always insane with almost everything in favor of the production.
  • Love 3

However, although I think that Cal really does want to help her, he has strange ideas. She mentioned wanting to get garlic, and he said first that it was too expensive, then that since they've got a skeptical audience for healthy food, they want to make sure it doesn't taste too "weird." I don't know if even this crowd is going to find garlic weird. Then he says he wants curry, although I think that was eventually nixed, too (much more sensibly). Then she was talking about what they were going to have for protein on a vegetarian night, I believe, and he suggested hummus. Hey, I love hummus, but it's 1. kinda weird for people who aren't used to it, and pretty much what they think of when they think of stereotypical vegetarian food, and 2. not really something you would be eating a lot of as a "protein" for a meal.

If they are making their own hummus, I can't imagine it tasting right, without garlic.

If it's store-bought hummus, good luck finding any without garlic.

• Love 1

Taylor made the always smart and grown-up decision to use some of his money to buy 3 bottles of cheap wine, which he and Rob have taken outside to drink and talk.  Sorry, but I can't stomach listening to these two--listening to Taylor is hearing "like, like, F-word.  Like, like F-word" and on and on.  Listening to Rob is just hearing gross and greasy belches and farts.  Nothing intelligent will be discovered by listening to these two idiots.  

• Love 5

Rob has been making a lot of comments about leaving ever since the wedding. He even mentioned earlier today that he had something to tell the group, but it would have to wait until tomorrow. I definitely got the vibe he was quitting.

• Love 4

I miss the in depth recaps some of you were doing. Is it too painful to watch now?

There may be a perception of lack of interest.  It can be a PIA to recap when people are reading recaps already elsewhere.

It got switched to tuesday through monday because she didn't want to cook with the leftovers and demanded to have a full week to cook with the full weeks budget.

I love reading this!  It was a complete setup and I'm so glad Nikki won't be falling for it.

• Love 3

They ate the cake, pancakes, and all kinds of other things Aaron has made with his minimal sanitation standards. At the point where he's not even washing up before making stuff and poking the food before serving it to people, I have to assume the frozen pizzas are laziness and/or lack of skill over sudden concern for avoiding contamination.

Or, maybe their extensive experience eating Aaron's hand-made food is why they want something that involves less of his contamination?

Re: missing hydroponics styrofoam

Per Jokers Production removed it because it was causing a glare in the sunlight and messing up filming.

So, they couldn't just talk to them and ask them to store it somewhere it would affect filming? They had to leave a note with a fork stuck in it?

Production are bigger liars than any of the cast.

• Love 1

I'm starting to wonder if the big surprise is that the Topes will be given the one-time only offer to bail from Utopia WITH their stipends intact.

And maybe that's why JK tweeted that the big surprise may result in more than one Tope leaving.  

What if everyone but Cal and Bella take the offer ?  Will they bring in 13 new people or just close up shop at that point ?

We know Rob is most likely leaving (because on the live feeds they have to keep reminding each other not to talk about that) and Taylor and Ernesto and Kristen have been grumbling about leaving as well.

• Love 1
I'm starting to wonder if the big surprise is that the Topes will be given the one-time only offer to bail from Utopia WITH their stipends intact.

maybe they will do a zappo's move, and offer the Utes some cash if they will leave.

theory being that production would prefer to have Utes that want to be there.   and those who turn down the cash and stay will be the ones who really want Utopia to work.

Edited by clod
  • Love 4

I've looked at the Dopes website a few times but I never see any of Bella's "art" there.  Are the Kool-Aid Kids intentionally blocking Bella from earning money?  Doesn't Bella ever get a chance to look at the site to see what's going on (or NOT going on) with her stuff?

They had a link to ebay on their utopia site but the page is gone now.  Ebay items:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281473851515?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281473874507?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281473873677?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649

• Love 2

Well, there's a new "spin off" group of the Cage Rattlers--they call themselves the "Repos" and the group consists of Rob, Taylor, Hex, Kristen and Dedeker.  They are pissed that Bella spent so much on her own food, so they've taken it upon themselves to repossess her apples and chocolate that came in the delivery last night.  They went through Bella's things while she was asleep outside and found her chocolate but I don't know if anyone actually took it since it was dark and I couldn't see much.  Bella had about 8 apples on a table, and it looked like Dedeker picked one apple up and took a bite out of it, then put the apple back.  Have I mentioned this group has officially reached an all-time low on the down-and-dirty-roommates chart?  BTW, Chris was invited to help them "repo" but he declined the invitation although he did say he would help them eat her chocolate.  

ETA:  Thanks EverCat--I found "The Gate" but I couldn't find the other 2 paintings.  Can you believe they are charging $20 to mail a piece of painted paper to the buyers?  

Edited by 4leafclover
  • Love 5

3 more Bella's paintings:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281473856298?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281473872861?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281473874507?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649

I saw that - $20 for economy parcel!

Good to see the dopes have contemplated their actions and are reforming (sarcasm).

There is some funny bizness going on with the paintings too. Why would they try to hide the auction.

• Love 3

Thanks for posting the links to Bella's paintings. Obviously she put more effort into some than others. The hummingbird one looked like she hammered it out in 20 minutes. Can't believe "The Gate" has a $550 bid on it already. I wonder if Kristen is going to find a way to keep the final sale price of the paintings hidden from Bella.

• Love 2

Well, there's a new "spin off" group of the Cage Rattlers--they call themselves the "Repos" and the group consists of Rob, Taylor, Hex, Kristen and Dedeker.  They are pissed that Bella spent so much on her own food, so they've taken it upon themselves to repossess her apples and chocolate that came in the delivery last night.

Ah, Utopians. All the sophistication of five-year-olds squabbling over who got the bigger piece of cake. Perhaps a workable system of government for them would be "I cut, you choose"?

• Love 4

Thanks for the ebay links.  I like her work.  I hope she gets some of the money if these things really sell.  Bella is a little cray-cray but I would love it if she were to become the only "famous" Udopian after this crap fest ends.  Aaron, Rob, Mike et al would be seething if that happened and just the thought of those sociopaths being upset makes me giggle like my 8 year old.

• Love 4

So, they couldn't just talk to them and ask them to store it somewhere it would affect filming? They had to leave a note with a fork stuck in it?

Production are bigger liars than any of the cast.

While the last sentence is true, I'll give Production slack here.  Can you imagine having to work on this and watch the Topes in real time?  We get sick of them watching the feeds or reading the recaps that others so generously supply, but if I worked in the little control room I would want hazard pay and a hazmat suit.

Production should reimburse them for the cost of the hydroponics if they aren't going to be allowed to use it.

Joker's also reported that Rob scaled the fence and stole one of Productions lawn chairs leaving a note back for them.  I'll have to see if I can find it.

• Love 2

While the last sentence is true, I'll give Production slack here.  Can you imagine having to work on this and watch the Topes in real time?  We get sick of them watching the feeds or reading the recaps that others so generously supply, but if I worked in the little control room I would want hazard pay and a hazmat suit.

I won't give them any slack.

Production calls the 'Topes in all the time for things they have no business being involved in. However, in this case, there's a legitimate technical reason for them to get involved. So, instead of simply asking them to move/remove the foam, they decide to go about it in the most stupid way possible?

• Love 2

I checked one of the eBay links and her painting is now at US $3,575.00 with 79 bids.

Something tells me there are going to be a lot of non-paying bidders for Bella.  Some mean people are just having some fun.

• Love 3

I won't give them any slack.

Production calls the 'Topes in all the time for things they have no business being involved in. However, in this case, there's a legitimate technical reason for them to get involved. So, instead of simply asking them to move/remove the foam, they decide to go about it in the most stupid way possible?

For all we know, Production did tell them to move the stuff to another location or start doing what they could to use it, and the Utopians ignored Production.  I think the notes were kind of funny, something about how the 'neighbors' (Production) took the stuff, and left notes with a fork stabbed through them instead.  It's pretty much "Stick in a fork in me, I'm done!" time. 

Production is unraveling at warp speed.  They can't get the Utopians to do what they want because they sent in so many damaged people and assholes, leaving too few people who want to do the right thing.  The people who watch the feeds are constantly contacting them with complaints, the numbers are falling on the TV show, and they're feeling the pressure from up high to fix the situation. 

The show runners wanted big personalities and drama to draw in the viewers, but since they marketed the show as something entirely different they didn't pull in the right audience for what they actually provided.  They've become a laughing stock, and not in a lucrative way (like Kim K). 

The show was started at a very bad time, it should have been started in the spring.  It seems like the whole project was set up to fail. TPTB have made one bad choice after another, and now that they've finally started to realize how badly they've messed up, they still keep making stupid mistakes.

• Love 11

TPTB have made one bad choice after another, and now that they've finally started to realize how badly they've messed up, they still keep making stupid mistakes.

But are they aware that they've messed up? Given Kroll's publicly-displayed attitude, they probably blame the 'Topes for all their ills. In the same way the 'Topes blame "haters."

Production and cast were perfectly made for each other - both completely lacking in self-awareness, always looking for a scapegoat, always trying for an easy way out or a get-rich-quick scheme.

• Love 9