Type keyword(s) to search

Utopia (US) Live Feed Discussion

That shouldn't be allowed. If a Utopian wins a prize, he should have to accept it, give it away, ignore it, but not send it back for something he really wants instead.

It would have been hilarious if Josh asked to trade the giant bed for a table saw.

• Love 8

yeah, someone would have tried to "break it in" before Josh could

---------------------------------------

someone says something I could not make out, about delivery, and the delivery guy says "I appreciate that.  I really do."    anyone know what was said?

the delivery guy wanted a nice unveiling.   :)

the delivery guy kind of does a    "wait, what?"    when Josh starts saying he can't accept it.   :)

the math was possibly easy.   fifteen single mattresses @ $150  ..............  compared to $3000 ?  for the big-n-fancy.   delivery guy thought it over for a just a minute and then said  "fifteen other mattresses".      good for him for reacting well and getting Josh something he wanted.

while writing the above, I am thinking he is not just a delivery guy, because he adapted and made a deal.   maybe store owner or manager ?

I am imagining a flock of production assistants rushing about, getting the fifteen mattresses  fixed up with sheets and stuff.   in  a hurry!     ha.

Edited by clod
  • Love 2
It wasn't "allowed" - it was what Production wanted him to do. They made a big show of delivering a huge fancy bed - pre-assembled, mind you. This was designed to alienate Josh if he accepted it. But of course, Production had 15 smaller, simpler beds conveniently on hand in case Josh refused the big bed.

Christ on a cracker, they're not even bothering to hide their scripting anymore.  Like they tried so hard before, but this shit makes Glee look spontaneous. 

• Love 6

Christ on a cracker, they're not even bothering to hide their scripting anymore.  Like they tried so hard before, but this shit makes Glee look spontaneous.

I'm not following you. Glee is a documentary about a school where the students frequently break out into song, and the main concerns are winning the football tournament, or getting through to the regional singing competition. I have no reason to doubt its veracity.

• Love 11

I thought all High Schools were like the one in Glee and that my High School was the only outlier.....

And that is why I voted for the Table Saw. We knew that something like this would happen. I am not sure Josh actually cares and is fine with what he did, why have the giant comfy bed when you can sleep well on a regular size mattress? But I did want Josh to get something that was important to Josh.

There were a good number of comments on the Fox page that people were voting for the bed so I can see it winning.

• Love 1

Quote: I am not sure Josh actually cares and is fine with what he did, why have the giant comfy bed when you can sleep well on a regular size mattress?

Josh can't - he is 6' 5" or 6' 6". Even the longest bed (Ca king) is 84 inches(7 ft), is barely enough room for him. Twin, & full are usually 75 inches.

• Love 2

Tsomewhere I read that when Rob left last night, production asked him why they had not fixed up the inside of the (peoplebarn).

That was my question as well - after the electricity was hooked up, the priority should have been building a dormitory for sleeping (with beds), planting a garden for food, hooking up water (with heater), and building furniture to fix up the living space (shelves, benches, tables, etc.) 

• Love 2

It wasn't "allowed" - it was what Production wanted him to do. They made a big show of delivering a huge fancy bed - pre-assembled, mind you. This was designed to alienate Josh if he accepted it. But of course, Production had 15 smaller, simpler beds conveniently on hand in case Josh refused the big bed.I think we all know that if the big bed was accepted, Josh would never get to sleep in it anyway. It would just become the "fuck bed" for everybody else.

Yes, it was absolutely set up ahead of time for Josh to reject the bed. I think production was concerned about winter and having people sleep on nothing but a pile of cotton batting. The "reward" was how they chose to solve that.

• Love 5

Then production gave them paint and supplies and told them to friggin' paint the barn and what colors go on what per the decorator. Dedeker is in charge of that and had been talking to Hex about 'calling a decorator' to get some advice in general on what to do with the barn. I guess the answer to that was production just giving them the stuff and telling them to get to work and that they ALL had to work together on it. Production is pushing them doing tasks together and bonding better now that the worst of the 'who cares?' gang are gone. The atmosphere is much better now and people are getting along much better without the interference of Mike and Rob. It's just lighter. Except the kitchen and meal time which has reverted to tense now that Nikki's week of cooking is over and Aaron is back in charge there. He's as assholish as ever in there.  

So much for his "promise" to be better in the kitchen.  He needs to go next - I don't care how cultish Cal is, Aaron is worse.

So, Kristen wasted no time in telling Aaron who voted against him and they are plotting again within an hour of the vote. They were trashing Nikki within thirty minutes.  Aaron is determined to be 'the chef'. He came there to be the chef and that's what he intends to be he told Kristen. He didn't come there to work in any barn. Those two need to go stat. Unfortunately we are stuck with Aaron for a long time because Bella will certainly be up next time and Cal too if he doesn't leave. Either of them will be voted out before Aaron. Aaron is determined to stay through December at least he said to Kristen. 

Wait, doesn't America put up the three short-listed individuals?  If so, I think Aaron and Kristen would be targeted before Bella and/or Nikki.

• Love 4

I think it's hilarious that production seems to be of the opinion that the show' s low ratings might be due to set design, rather than the content of the show. This isn't "The View", where the solution is brighter colors and smarter hosts.

• Love 5

Are they planning to have a Biggest Contributor every two weeks, and to have such big rewards each time?  Because at that rate, the people barn will be looking like a luxury condo in a couple of months based only on Production providing expensive rewards, especially if they can be turned in for 15 smaller versions.  They've got beds now, so what's next?   Biggest contributor wins a fur coat that gets returned for 15 overcoats?  Or a weekend at a spa that gets converted to a couple of full bathtubs?  Dinner in a fancy restaurant that gets cashed in for silverware and china plates and cloth napkins?  I like the idea of America voting for a Biggest Contributor just to remind the topes that we see what they're doing - and maybe to encourage them to work harder and earn that title - but I don't want it to be an excuse for Production to just give them everything they need.  That's just as bad as if they were sitting around doing nothing.  The rewards should be smaller, and they should be only for the winner.  Maybe a visit from a loved one or something.  I wouldn't have minded the table saw, since it was a work tool, but the bed is too much.

Dedeker is in charge of that and had been talking to Hex about 'calling a decorator' to get some advice in general on what to do with the barn.

OMG.  OMFBMFG.  Calling a decorator? Buy a magazine, lady, money's tight.  These people are ridiculous.  Have none of them ever had a first apartment, where they figured out the basics of setting up living areas and storage areas and putting your stamp of style on it?  60 days in, and with the exception of setting up a very rough kitchen, these guys have done nothing to fix up the place they expect to call home for a year.  They're not at the stage where they need a professional decorator - they just need to put in a bit of effort on their own.  They live in a freakin' barn, and until Production forced them, they made no attempt to upgrade it from Barn to Home.   Prison inmates do a better job of personalizing their living quarters than these guys do.  

Edited by ElleryAnne
  • Love 11

This whole thing stinks to high Heaven.  First of all, when you are living in squalor without even hot water, is it important to call a decorator to find out how to arrange your boards and cotton batting?  And secondly, that bed that was sent to Josh had to cost between $3500 and $5000.  Compare that to the cost of a clambake or a table saw and there you have production interference once again.  Why even ask us to vote on something that has already been determined?  

And if they are going to do this farce of a vote every 2 weeks, then they better not expect people like Aaron or Kristen (ha, as if there is even a chance in hell they would be in the category of contributing the most) to turn in their rewards for something that will benefit the entire cast, ummm.....I mean the entire group.  

• Love 4
The rewards should be smaller, and they should be only for the winner.

Why any rewards at all?  Even Mr. Pringles is gonna snort next time he has to say "The Utopians are entirely self-sufficient now ..."

They've made the stakes so low that nobody does much of anything without production yelling at them, so their solution is ... to lower them some more?  If you're trying wean them off the producers teat, try not rewarding them so lavishly for staying on it.  Shit, at this rate, they'll soon give them massage chairs and xboxes, and then they won't even get up to use the can.

Edited by henripootel
  • Love 4

I think production was concerned about winter

Oh those optimists to think the show will still be on then!

Prison inmates do a better job of personalizing their living quarters than these guys do.

Pinups or pictures of girlfriends, families, etc...one would have thought the Dopes would have brought some personal pictures since they all have loved ones or family.

Prison inmates are there for a reason.

True, the Dopes largely appear there because they had nothing better to do.  When convicted felons had/have more focus and purpose in life than you do, that is probably a problem.

• Love 3

Let's also focus on the fact that most votes for "best contributor"  are going to be from people who watch the TV show, not necessarily the live feeds.  The one hour per week show can be edited to present the view that the producers want.   My guess is that each episode will highlight one utopian's efforts, and they will each get a turn to be "biggest contributor."   

AND - that each one will do the pre-determined altruistic act of turning in their individual reward for something that  is for the good of the group.  Followed by hugs and cheers, because they all love, admire and respect each other.  

A DECORATOR?   Really?    Hey, how about some of those artists do a mural?  that will be more personalized.  What's a decorator going to do?  pick out coordinating throw pillows and lamps?

Edited by backformore
  • Love 3

Biggest contributor wins a fur coat that gets returned for 15 overcoats?

No, they have to exchange like for like. So, in that case, they would get 15 child-sized fur coats.

Calling a decorator? Buy a magazine, lady, money's tight.

The should totally get a copy of Better Barns and Gardens magazine. Except for Cal, who subscribes to Cult Weekly.

Edited by In Pog Form
  • Love 5

The intervention by Production has become blatantly obvious every day.  The idea of calling a freakin' decorator is further confirmation the idiots in the asylum have been told they can basically have whatever they want, but the goodies (frozen pizza & sour patch kids by the truck load, eBay & PayPal accounts, internet access, visits from outside, etc) will be doled out slowly to keep up the sham of the whole pioneer BS. There never was nor will there ever be any expectations that these "mactors" and fame whores were to be self sufficient AT ANY POINT of this travesty. 

As many here have noted, most of the Dopes haven't had much initiative or incentive to work on making this place a home.  If it were a true "start from scratch" society, the participants would have been motivated to fix the place up.  Instead these assholes have mostly laid around drinking, eating, screwing and fighting because they have known Production is a few yards away, ready to tell them what to do every day. 

So when TPTB hands them cans of paint and brushes, their first reaction isn't "Let's roll up our sleeves and get to work!".  Instead they flop down on their (unearned) mattresses and wonder when the decorator will get there tell them how to achieve feng shui in their craptastic filth pit.  They live in a barn, now they expect help to make it "Pottery Barn"? 

• Love 10

More importantly, the decorator, sour patch kids, frozen pizzas and the like will not be aired so people will have no idea what is happening. Heck, the TV viewer only is going to be baffled as to why Bri, Aaron, and Rob were nominated because they have not seen their awful behavior.

• Love 3

OMG.  OMFBMFG.  Calling a decorator? Buy a magazine, lady, money's tight.  These people are ridiculous.  Have none of them ever had a first apartment, where they figured out the basics of setting up living areas and storage areas and putting your stamp of style on it?  60 days in, and with the exception of setting up a very rough kitchen, these guys have done nothing to fix up the place they expect to call home for a year.  They're not at the stage where they need a professional decorator - they just need to put in a bit of effort on their own.  They live in a freakin' barn, and until Production forced them, they made no attempt to upgrade it from Barn to Home.   Prison inmates do a better job of personalizing their living quarters than these guys do.  

You are so right. OMFG. Not only are most of the TOPES there for the wrong reasons, now it is more than obvious that PRODUCTION has no idea what this show should be either. I blame Kroll. Seems he wants to be a bigger star than the show. I think Survivor does a better job with their premise. 

A DECORATOR?   Really?    Hey, how about some of those artists do a mural?  that will be more personalized.  What's a decorator going to do?  pick out coordinating throw pillows and lamps?

Probably from IKEA or Target to get that all important commercial tie-in.

• Love 4
More importantly, the decorator, sour patch kids, frozen pizzas and the like will not be aired so people will have no idea what is happening. Heck, the TV viewer only is going to be baffled as to why Bri, Aaron, and Rob were nominated because they have not seen their awful behavior.

When will they have pizza night with all of Rob's frozen pizzas still in the freezer ?

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 3

Let's also focus on the fact that most votes for "best contributor"  are going to be from people who watch the TV show, not necessarily the live feeds.

I'm not so sure about that. I would guess that online voting participation from broadcast show viewers is an extremely low percentage of viewers, while vote participation from feed viewers would be an extremely high percentage.

• Love 1

On a different note from the decorator thing, I haven't been able to watch much in the last couple of days but I did see yesterday, I believe, that they have no phone or internet access for 2 days. Yesterday and today, I guess. I saw Hex and Nikki mention it, but didn't hear of a reason. I guess they'll have to send a message to a decorator by carrier pigeon.

But it made me wonder if they might try to do more of these outages to wean these fools off having so much contact with the outside world.

• Love 4

But it made me wonder if they might try to do more of these outages to wean these fools off having so much contact with the outside world.

I suspect Production Ineptitude.  They were probably trying to cut off the feeds so the feedsters can't watch because muting and blurring has to happen so often it is easier to claim "technical difficulties".  The plan was too blame the loss of feeds on the rabid peckings of a renegade chicken.

Let's also focus on the fact that most votes for "best contributor"  are going to be from people who watch the TV show, not necessarily the live feeds.

When did they announce the change?  Would it have been before the last ep aired?

• Love 2

New guys just came in.  On the feeds now.

Two guys.  James and Jeremy.

The group is gathering at the rocks for the entrance Q&A.

James is 47, from Monroe, Loisiana.  He's a hairstylist.   He wants to make Utopia more beautiful place one person at a time.

His Utopia is equality.

Jeremiah.  "Jeremy"  37.  Married.   Plus-Size male exotic dancer from Lansing Michigan.

Plumbing contractor.   Marine Corps vet.  Tea-partier.

Believes in equality as well.

James brought seasonings and hair conditioner.

Jeremy brought knit caps for everyone.

Jeremy also happened to have the right tractor parts to make the tractor run.   What a co-inky-dink.

• Love 7

James is a 47 year old hairdresser from Monroe, La.  Jeremy is a 37 year old married plumbing contractor (and a Tea Party believing disabled Marine Corp vet) from Lansing, Michigan.  I don't know for sure if James is gay or not, but he is very effeminate and the chats are going crazy over the possibility.  He brought seasonings for the kitchen and hair conditioner and I nominate Kristen as his first customer for a new hair style.  Jeremy brought knit hats for everyone and tractor parts.  

Jeremy looks like he could be a hard worker.  James, however, couldn't even bring his own crate thru the gates so he's likely to be more of an inside person or possibly gardener?

Edited by 4leafclover
  • Love 4

Taylor and Aaron were hoping for "2 hot chicks."  Aaron asked Taylor why, as he's getting "more loads" than anyone else there.  Taylor said not really, and he thinks that before the end of 2 weeks, Hex and "old guy" (Josh) will hook up.  Aaron said no way, she knows how Josh is.  Taylor said "she knew how I was too, and it didn't stop her.  My story wasn't pretty."  So it sounds like soon it will be time for a round of musical beds.  

• Love 3

Taylor and Aaron were hoping for "2 hot chicks."  Aaron asked Taylor why, as he's getting "more loads" than anyone else there.  Taylor said not really, and he thinks that before the end of 2 weeks, Hex and "old guy" (Josh) will hook up.  Aaron said no way, she knows how Josh is.  Taylor said "she knew how I was too, and it didn't stop her.  My story wasn't pretty."  So it sounds like soon it will be time for a round of musical beds.  

If you take Taylor's opinion about Hex as valid.   

Which, if you do, I have a bridge to sell you.

• Love 2

Plumbing contractor.   Marine Corps vet.  Tea-partier.

Production seems determined to bring a Tea-Partier in. Wasn't whats-her-face, the loud and endowed candidate who was rejected for Cal, also a Tea Party supporter?

And pairing this guy with an effeminate hairdresser seems obviously aimed at getting some Red/Blue friction going.

Edited by In Pog Form
  • Love 1

I like it, a plus sized male exotic dancer who is a former Marine and member of the Tea Party. How do you find someone like that?

Casting call for anyone who can play the part?

(Actually, he said he was joking about the exotic dancer part).

James is fawning all over Bella, telling her he just loves her and how his goal is to fix her hair.  Bella's Georgian accent just got thicker and she is in full southern belle mode.  

Edited by 4leafclover
  • Love 3

I guess James is claiming he has farming experience, including experience dealing with cows and chickens.  And he also says he knows about things like canning.  Which, if so, good.  Hopefully it won't turn out to be like Bri's "experience."

And on another note...  I feel kind of squicky about posting this, but I can't help myself.  I may have issues.

Rob did an AMA on Reddit (it's linked to in the media thread).  He stated that at one point, Cal offered to blow him, and he politely declined.  He also stated that Cal offered to blow Josh (and Josh declined).

[singing]This is Blowtopiaaaaa[/singing]

• Love 5

I guess James is claiming he has farming experience, including experience dealing with cows and chickens.  And he also says he knows about things like canning.  Which, if so, good.  Hopefully it won't turn out to be like Bri's "experience."

And on another note...  I feel kind of squicky about posting this, but I can't help myself.  I may have issues.

Rob did an AMA on Reddit (it's linked to in the media thread).  He stated that at one point, Cal offered to blow him, and he politely declined.  He also stated that Cal offered to blow Josh (and Josh declined).

[singing]This is Blowtopiaaaaa[/singing]

Again, to believe that, you have to believe that Rob is a reliable source.

I, for one, would take anything Rob reports with an entire planet of salt.

• Love 1
He stated that at one point, Cal offered to blow him, and he politely declined.  He also stated that Cal offered to blow Josh (and Josh declined).

Is he sure Cal didn't offer to blow him up?  Cal seems like the kind of guy who'd offer to blow somebody up.

• Love 4