Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E17: Love is in the Air

jewel21
  • Start Topic

Athena and the 118 race to rescue when a wedding proposal tragically intersects with a bank robbery, and then when a princess bride is literally stuck on her way to the altar. Athena talks a victim thru her grief; Maddie takes matters into her own hands as Buck finds a surprise visitor on his doorstep.

Airdate: 05/08/2023

Who called it last week? That Maddie would propose to Chim? Take a bow...

And Buck the Ho had a lot of splainin' to do to his death doula darlin'. Who else predicted that Buck would end up raising the kid? I hope you're not right!

They did that "whole relationship in flashbacks" thing with the guy who died of brain cancer and his wife...it was touching. (Not as touching when they did it with the gay couple who'd been together many years).

I knew Bobby was going to take Adrienne Barbeau to her wedding because she complimented his hat. He's a sucker for firefighter flattery.

Eddie's a dweeb. A good-looking one, but I just don't care.

• Like 6
  • Mind Blown 1
1 hour ago, kwnyc said:

I knew Bobby was going to take Adrienne Barbeau to her wedding because she complimented his hat. He's a sucker for firefighter flattery.

Get OUT. I had no idea that was her!

Two thoughts: I was grateful that pregnant lady wasn't naked in Buck's bed at the end, and Maddie's proposal is the first scene I can remember where Chim wasn't chewing gum. 

As usual, I liked the rescue scenes more than most of the episode. 

The Athena-brain tumor guy's wife's scene was great. To me, Angela Bassett has great chemistry with everyone except Peter Krause. 

• Like 9

I'm a sucker for a good love story and really enjoyed that episode.  They brought the crazy with the first rescue and the heart with the dying husband and the older reunited couple. 

The updates on Lucy and Taylor were nice little bits to also give Buck some grief.  Are they setting him up to not just raise his kid, but get together with the baby mama?

Ji was so adorable with her "Cheers!" at the end.

And now I want to go watch Strictly Ballroom for the millionth time.  I love "Love is In the Air"

• Like 7
  • Applause 2

That guy that got dragged by the parachute should have been dead. Granted his injuries did look pretty gruesome but I'd expect far worse than that for as long as he was dragged and all the things he hit.

Can someone remind me where Javi came from? I have only a vague recollection of him, wasn't he a new firefighter and then he left the show and what's the explanation for his return?

Hey look it's Adrienne Barbeau! She didn't really need to plead with the captain about going to her wedding - everyone has the right to refuse medical treatment when the ambulance shows up.

Ugh, I keep forgetting about this dumb sperm donor story. And now the couple are fighting and the wife is staying with Buck. I hate where I think this is going.

I'm glad they didn't drag this ring story out any further. I thought sure it was going to go down the drain when Maddie was trying to pull it off under running water in the kitchen sink. 

You'd think Buck would have called Chim and given him a heads up that Maddie knew about the ring. Also, when Maddie showed up at Hen's door, Hen immediately said "I don't know what Buck told you . . . " How did she know it was Buck? Maddie hadn't said anything about Buck. It would have been more reasonable for Hen to assume Chim said something about her. Maybe Buck called and gave Hen a heads-up. Except she looked surprised when Maddie showed up.

They sort of glossed over how the ring wound up in the dollhouse in the first place. I wonder if Chim ever figured it out.

• Like 7
2 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Can someone remind me where Javi came from? I have only a vague recollection of him, wasn't he a new firefighter and then he left the show and what's the explanation for his return?

Ravi first appeared in season 4, I think the episode where the team got a bunch of bizarre calls after Ravi said that his shift was "quiet" (he was on the B shift). The episode that I think he was more prominent in was the treasure hunt episode, though (I believe he was the one to personally find the treasure?). But yeah, he's been a quiet supporting character until he stopped appearing halfway through season 5 (the actor got work elsewhere). But I think people's reaction to Ravi in general got the show to bring him back. Personally, I think he was one of the very few non-OG characters they introduced who worked really well, even though he hasn't appeared much. Every other recurring firefighter they've tried has failed miserably.

2 hours ago, iMonrey said:

How did she know it was Buck?

Probably because Buck spills things a lot and, since they all just got off shift and Chimney was still panicking about the ring a couple of hours prior, it was a reasonable assumption that Maddie's annoyance at Hen was due to Buck's big mouth. I think she also knew that Chimney wouldn't rat Hen out to Maddie about her doubts. She could have been wrong, sure, but the assumption being that Buck told her isn't out of the realm of possibilities.

I did NOT like Buck's plot. It feels like they have no idea what to do with Buck. They've gone through different plots that have not made much sense. If they're trying to pair off Buck with Kameron and have a pseudo-family plot, it's just too predictable and boring. I do not care about a forced romantic plot with someone he barely knows. Even if it's ending with Buck reuniting Kameron and Connor, the entire arc has been useless, then. 

Also no idea why Buck needed to go down Love Interest Lane to chase off a random woman he met two episodes ago.

Eddie's plot was fine, but weird ending with bringing back Marisol, who we only saw once back in...what, episode 2 or 3? How many times are we going to go down the road with Eddie struggling in the dating world? The show keeps resetting characters or not moving them forward, it's weird. I liked Marisol, but I'm not so sure how I feel about them bringing her back. I'm open to the idea, but they've forced romances on this show before so I hope it's not another one of those situations.

Maddie/Chimney's plot worked for me. I wish we got a little more on Maddie's perspective on marriage after Doug, but I guess we got a bit of it. 

Athena's rescue with the woman who lost her partner at home was very well done.

• Like 8
3 hours ago, iMonrey said:

They sort of glossed over how the ring wound up in the dollhouse in the first place. I wonder if Chim ever figured it out.

Last week, they showed Jee putting it there.

--

I guess Buck's math genius effect wore off. They showed him having trouble calculating a tip.

• Like 2
  • LOL 5

Eddie's plot was fine, but weird ending with bringing back Marisol, who we only saw once back in...what, episode 2 or 3?

I don't even remember Marisol, where did she come from?

Last week, they showed Jee putting it there.

No - I know we know. Does Chim understand that Jee must have taken it while he was letting her hold it? Or does he just think he dropped it in the house somewhere and Jee found it?

17 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

I don't even remember Marisol, where did she come from?

Her brother was the one who got stuck in the attic, I think, with the pink foam, and the 118 began poking holes in the ceiling on the main floor to try to find him. That was the episode where Eddie and Buck brought a bunch of people over to help fix the home at the end.

• Useful 5

Cute episode last night. It felt old school 911....I do have a question though. The montage of Eddie trying golfing and hiking had a song in it about "I Got High Hopes". It sounded like a cool song. I've tried Shazaam, Spotify...those sites that list songs from TV shows and even Googled all the lyrics....I got nothing...If anyone can tell me what it is, I would deeply appreciate it...Thanks...

On 5/8/2023 at 10:16 PM, kwnyc said:

I knew Bobby was going to take Adrienne Barbeau

That was Adrienne Barbeau?  Fuck. Me. I mean, looking at her resume, I've seen her in dozens of movies and TV shows, but I guess I couldn't recognize her in a wedding dress.  She's usually covered in gore. (And full disclosure:  I think I remember her first on Maude.  Christ.)

• Like 3
  • LOL 2
(edited)

Congrats Madney! 💍 

The best rescue was Athena and the grieving wife. It’s heartwarming to hear her talking about Emmet again.

I kept yelling at the parachute guy, “take it off, take it off”. Well, he didn’t listen.

Buck has so many arcs this season. The death doula romance is not necessary and they have zero chemistry. I wonder if Buck tells Natalia about Abby and how she ghosted him. And now enters Kameron. UGH.

I like Marisol as a character. I don’t want her to be dating Eddie if he’s going to treat her like he treated Ana. He wasn’t feeling it with Ana but continued seeing her, why? Because she helped a lot with Christopher?

A scene between Maddie and Hen - that’s rare!

On 5/9/2023 at 10:16 AM, kwnyc said:

Who called it last week? That Maddie would propose to Chim? Take a bow...

That’s me! 😅

Am so glad this arc is over. And now we need to brace ourselves for more drama on wedding planning! I cannot wait to see Jee as a flower girl.

JLH has great chemistry with the little actresses who play her daughter. Their scenes together are always fun to watch. “Papa jail.” Aww! 😍 

Edited by SnazzyDaisy
  • Like 7
5 hours ago, stonehaven said:

Cute episode last night. It felt old school 911....I do have a question though. The montage of Eddie trying golfing and hiking had a song in it about "I Got High Hopes". It sounded like a cool song. I've tried Shazaam, Spotify...those sites that list songs from TV shows and even Googled all the lyrics....I got nothing...If anyone can tell me what it is, I would deeply appreciate it...Thanks...

That's so strange! I can't find it even with the lyrics in the show's transcript

Even if it was written for the show, I'd expect it to be google-able by now.  

• Like 1
  • Love 1

That was a cute episode, I'm a sucker for a good love story so this was right up my alley. We got some wacky rescues and some poignant ones, I really liked Athena talking with the women who's husband had just died. I knew it was going to give my the cries and it did. I really am just such a sucker. 

Glad that Maddie and Hen got to have a talk, they definitely needed to clear the air. It was awkward, but I think it was a good thing that Maddie found out that Hen had reservations about Chim marrying Maddie. I'm very glad that this story is over, its been dragged out for long enough already, we all know that Maddie and Chim are going to get married lets stop beating around the bush. 

The show needs to stop throwing love interests at Buck, its boring. I really like Buck but its frustrating that they keep giving him these crappy stories where he's always an idiot. 

• Like 6

I would never date Buck. He's just not my type in numerous ways. But, ironically, I thought that the complexity of his life and the fact that he was a sperm donor for some friends of his, made him more interesting. So when death doula lady ran for the hills, I kind of thought: Buck's better off without her!

But, yes. Enough with the dating stories. Both Buck and Eddie need to do something more interesting with their plots.

• Like 4
On 5/9/2023 at 9:29 PM, stonehaven said:

I confess I wasn’t paying attention to the song. The only song I know called High Hopes  is this one, but I have no idea if this was what you were referencing or not. 

I guess this was the last episode on Fox?

I don’t know if I’ll bother to follow the show to wherever it’s going.

I think I’m a party of one, but I do not at all care for Angela Bassett’s acting in this show. I know she’s a big time star, but on this show specifically, it’s like she spits out every line. 

OK, so I did hear Love is in the Air playing when Eddie reencountered Marisol, so that seems fairly obvious. Same with Kameron and Buck. Only question is will she and Connor divorce and she and Buck become a couple, or will this just be a joint custody thing. One way or the other, Buck will be the father and not just  the sperm donor. Methinks. 

Just kind of tired of the show. 

• Like 2
19 minutes ago, Arkay said:

I guess this was the last episode on Fox?

I don’t know if I’ll bother to follow the show to wherever it’s going.

Just kind of tired of the show. 

Wait, was this the season finale? If so, then Hallelujah! I promised myself I'd stick it out until the end of the season but after that, I'm done. It's just a crappy soap opera at this point. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, MicheleinPhilly said:

Wait, was this the season finale? If so, then Hallelujah! I promised myself I'd stick it out until the end of the season but after that, I'm done. It's just a crappy soap opera at this point. 

59 minutes ago, DearEvette said:

No. I think Monday 5/15 is the season Finale.

You’re right, Evette. I see it on the DVR.

I guess it just felt finale-ish!

• Like 1
14 hours ago, MicheleinPhilly said:

Err, nope, as I know, this wasn't the finale one. So, don't go throwing that Hallelujah just yet) Just stick around a bit longer, who knows, maybe they'll surprise us with some more epic plot twists)) Because I feel there's more drama to come soon;)