• Start Topic

• Monday, April 24 - Author Chita Rivera
  • Tuesday, April 25  - Author Meghan Trainor; actress Amy Ryan
  • Wednesday, April 26 - Actor James Brolin; JoJo performs
  • Thursday, April 27  - Actor Stanley Tucci; actor Ben Platt
  • Friday, April 28 - Author Judy Blume and director Kelly Fremon Craig 
  • Thanks 1
51 minutes ago, Welshman in Ca said:

Did they mention that their favourite person (Tucker C.) has left Fox news or was it taped before the news broke?

I'm sure they will have more to talk about tomorrow. Sunny and Ana are going to be upset.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

Whenever Whoopi delivers one of her rants, I wonder how she would react if her message was flipped a little bit and sent back to her - "If you want to take your kid to a drag show, go ahead, but don't include my kid; if you want your kid to read this book, take them to the library and check it out for them, but don't make my kid read it too. Stay out of my life; don't tell me what to do." I wonder if she ever really tries to put herself in someone else's shoes if they don't already agree with her. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Welshman in Ca said:

Did they mention that their favourite person (Tucker C.) has left Fox news or was it taped before the news broke?

They sure did! Anna even got the audience singing Nana Nana hey hey hey goodbye🤣

• Like 2
  • LOL 7
19 minutes ago, KittyQ said:

I wonder if she ever really tries to put herself in someone else's shoes if they don't already agree with her. 

What do you mean? Put herself in the place of whom?

• Like 4
2 minutes ago, Glitches said:

What do you mean? Put herself in the place of whom?

Can Whoopi imagine the perspective of someone who doesn't want all the same things she does? Part of eventually compromising and coming to a reasonable agreement is understanding the concerns of the other side. I'm not saying that Whoopi is the only one who doesn't seem to do that or that the "other side" is any better, but she's the one talking on the show. 

1 hour ago, KittyQ said:

Whenever Whoopi delivers one of her rants, I wonder how she would react if her message was flipped a little bit and sent back to her - "If you want to take your kid to a drag show, go ahead, but don't include my kid; if you want your kid to read this book, take them to the library and check it out for them, but don't make my kid read it too. Stay out of my life; don't tell me what to do." I wonder if she ever really tries to put herself in someone else's shoes if they don't already agree with her. 

The second implied part of her rant is "And she will stay our of your life too".   So she is considering the other point of view.  

She's not saying kids should be forced to go to drag shows.   I doubt she has a problem with a parent who decides it's not appropriate for their kid.   Or even if a certain book is not appropriate.   However, she does not want other parents or state government to prevent her from taking a kid to a drag show or reading a book that professional educators and school boards have deemed appropriate.  

• Like 2
  • Applause 15
1 hour ago, KittyQ said:

When Whoopi goes off on one of her rants she never says she wants all kids to do anything. She simply doesn't want someone saying all kids cannot do something.  The compromise would be parents get to decide for themselves. It's called choice.

Edited by bluegirl147
  • Like 13
9 minutes ago, bluegirl147 said:

When Whoopi goes off on one of her rants she never says she wants all kids to do anything. She simply doesn't want someone saying all kids cannot do something.  The compromise would be parents get to decide for themselves. It's called choice.

It is easier and more transparent for people to opt in to an activity than to have an activity and require people to opt out. Both sides on these issues tend to adopt an all or nothing stance instead of making it easy for people to make the choices that work for them. For example, with books - school libraries can control access to particular books based on whether or not parents have given permission for them. Nothing is banned, but not everything is appropriate for everyone. Parents have to sign permission slips for other things - field trips, extracurricular activities, etc. - so it shouldn't be a big imposition for them to decide what types of material their kids can read. 

3 minutes ago, KittyQ said:

It is easier and more transparent for people to opt in to an activity than to have an activity and require people to opt out. Both sides on these issues tend to adopt an all or nothing stance instead of making it easy for people to make the choices that work for them. For example, with books - school libraries can control access to particular books based on whether or not parents have given permission for them. Nothing is banned, but not everything is appropriate for everyone. Parents have to sign permission slips for other things - field trips, extracurricular activities, etc. - so it shouldn't be a big imposition for them to decide what types of material their kids can read. 

The problem is becoming someone is deciding certain books will not be in the library. My local library used to have a director who refused to have any R rated movies available.  You had to be 18 years old to take movies out anyways so it wasn't like children were going to be able to take these movies without their parent's permission.  Even with numerous complaints from this director wouldn't budge.  You would think someone who worked at a library would have known the definition of censorship.  

• Like 7

Thank heavens for Asunción clearly stating today the “disappointing” fact that the best presidential candidate the Republicans have is a “twice-impeached, now 34 count-indicted, former 1 term president.”  Like Sunny, I also saw what happened on Jan. 6,  and don’t understand how he is “doing so well in the polls” after he “tried to dismantle our democracy.”   Hope she continues to speak for the silenced.

• Like 16
1 hour ago, KittyQ said:

Not sure the opt in approach works for public education.   Parents would have to opt in to every part of the curriculum and every book in the library and that's not really feasible.    I also don't think this is a both sides situation.  Parents have always had the ability to opt out of parts of the curriculum they found objectionable.    Whoopi was arguing that parents need to take advantage of that, rather than trying to put their beliefs on other people's kids.   

• Like 12
1 hour ago, After7Only said:

Not sure the opt in approach works for public education.   Parents would have to opt in to every part of the curriculum and every book in the library and that's not really feasible.    I also don't think this is a both sides situation.  Parents have always had the ability to opt out of parts of the curriculum they found objectionable.    Whoopi was arguing that parents need to take advantage of that, rather than trying to put their beliefs on other people's kids.   

Can't wait until Friday when Judy Blume discusses how suddenly, in the 80s, ALL her books were being banned/censored. Especially Deenie, Forever, and Are You There, God? It's Me, Margaret.

• Like 6
2 hours ago, After7Only said:

The thing is, that in many cases, someone is always putting their beliefs on other people's kids - Whoopi's argument is that she doesn't want people who don't agree with whatever issue to be able to determine what all the kids do, but those other people also believe that those who agree with Whoopi's issue are getting to determine what all the kids do. In fact, both sides could choose to opt in or out of whatever the activity is, so the reasonable thing would be to go to the most common denominator on issues and make anything controversial optional. In my example of books, it wouldn't require that parents choose every book in the library, but any materials that are likely to be considered questionable could be provided on a general list that is provided before the school year starts. There aren't likely to be that many titles on the list. Libraries go through periodic reviews of materials, because their business is providing materials that their students (consumers) need and want, and space is not unlimited. Things that don't circulate much will eventually end up on the library sale shelves. 

I found it interesting that Alyssa, who has been saying that FOX would never fire Fucker- er I mean Tucker because his show was their highest rated show, just gleefully said this was good for Ukraine. Huh?

Well, if they do continue the conversation tomorrow, it’ll be interesting to see if Sunny asks her about that stance and how she, Alyssa was proven wrong.

• Like 6
5 hours ago, athousandclowns said:

Awe Whoopi you were doing so well with clothing lately what the heck is that you are swimming in today? 

She also wasn't wearing lipstick or eyeliner. Maybe she woke up late 🤷🏻‍♀️

We'll see what tomorrow brings..

• Like 1
  • Wink 1
14 hours ago, KittyQ said:

The thing is, that in many cases, someone is always putting their beliefs on other people's kids - Whoopi's argument is that she doesn't want people who don't agree with whatever issue to be able to determine what all the kids do, but those other people also believe that those who agree with Whoopi's issue are getting to determine what all the kids do. In fact, both sides could choose to opt in or out of whatever the activity is, so the reasonable thing would be to go to the most common denominator on issues and make anything controversial optional. In my example of books, it wouldn't require that parents choose every book in the library, but any materials that are likely to be considered questionable could be provided on a general list that is provided before the school year starts. There aren't likely to be that many titles on the list. Libraries go through periodic reviews of materials, because their business is providing materials that their students (consumers) need and want, and space is not unlimited. Things that don't circulate much will eventually end up on the library sale shelves. 

There would be no books left & isn't that what the library does now which is what Whoopi is advocating for? Saying that anything controversial shouldn't be in a school library would mean NO books being allowed as everything is controversial to someone, or can be if people look hard enough. Some people think that the bible shouldn't be allowed in schools as it probably contains more sex &/or violence than 100% of the other books in a school library and therefore should be banned, but we all know that isn't what the people who advocate for banning books want, they want their belief system forced on others by banning certain books that they say are controversial. Maybe they could burn them while they're at it & go the whole way rather than beating around the bush the way they are now.

Edited by Welshman in Ca
Spelling oopsy
  • Like 2
  • Applause 9
1 hour ago, Welshman in Ca said:

There would be no books left & isn't that what the library does now which is what Whoopi is advocating for? Saying that anything controversial shouldn't be in a school library would mean NO books being allowed as everything is controversial to someone, or can be if people look hard enough.

I think you misunderstood what I said. Of course, people who are bent on being offended can always find something to complain about, but generally, there are only a few books that would be considered controversial for inclusion in a school library. I think that professional librarians could sort through complaints well enough to identify sincere objections from spam complaints. I also didn't say that contested books should not be in the library, only that maybe one way to deal with it would be to have access to them controlled based on parental permission. I don't think that it has to be an all or nothing proposition when considering whether all kids can read certain books. 

4 minutes ago, KittyQ said:

I think you misunderstood what I said. Of course, people who are bent on being offended can always find something to complain about, but generally, there are only a few books that would be considered controversial for inclusion in a school library. I think that professional librarians could sort through complaints well enough to identify sincere objections from spam complaints. I also didn't say that contested books should not be in the library, only that maybe one way to deal with it would be to have access to them controlled based on parental permission. I don't think that it has to be an all or nothing proposition when considering whether all kids can read certain books. 

I don't think I misunderstood you. You say that "any materials that are likely to be considered questionable could be provided on a general list' and my question is who decides what is questionable, the saying one mans trash is another mans treasure is applicable here as I said that some people find the bible questionable so who decides? You, me or pearl clutching crazies who think the word gay should make a book questionable and put on a list? The school decides which books are in the library & it is the PARENT who should be able to make the decision on what is & isn't acceptable for their child to then read and that is what Whoopie for all her faults is trying to say, just like it has been for years & years.

• Like 11
30 minutes ago, Welshman in Ca said:

The school decides which books are in the library & it is the PARENT who should be able to make the decision on what is & isn't acceptable for their child to then read and that is what Whoopie for all her faults is trying to say, just like it has been for years & years.

Exactly.  Parents have always had the ability to exercise some control over what their children read.  We don't need special lists or questionable books being kept under lock and key and available on on request.  Whoopi may have been a little scattered but she was absolutely right.

People have been trying to ban books from libraries since libraries were created.  What's new now is that the book banners are gaining traction.  Libraries are under fire in a way that I have not seen in my career as a librarian.  Isolated incidents, sure, of course.  But never like this.

• Like 11
  • Applause 1
1 hour ago, KittyQ said:

I also didn't say that contested books should not be in the library, only that maybe one way to deal with it would be to have access to them controlled based on parental permission.

If this had been the case when I was a tween, there was NO WAY I would have been able to check out all the forbidden Silhouette and Harlequin romance novels when I went to the library or book mobile. I read those in secret.

Then in high school, our library was able/allowed to have teen romances and the librarian chose me to review them. There were a couple of good series. Not The Sweet Valley High series, but one was set in an affluent private school and even as a teen, I thought it was ridiculous how those characters were more college-aged than high school, and of course all the parents were Hollywood Gorgeous. The other series was more believable; a core group of friends from freshman to seniors. I wish I could remember the authors' names and the series. But my jam in high school was Lois Duncan. Her books are probably banned now, too, in this current climate.

As for today's show? So typical, that Alyssa pivoted away or didn't admit she was wrong when she insisted FOX would "never" fire Tucker because his show was the biggest money maker for their network. Instead, she's "shocked" at what they did. Well, okay, I can accept that since she didn't think they would fire his ass.

I guess Sunny wasn't privy to the information that was released about the threatening texts that Lemon sent to the first female cohost he shared a show with? Those texts led straight back to coming from him. And other things. As has been said, just because one didn't harass/abuse you doesn't mean they didn't abuse/harass others. Sunny's defense sounded very much like Whoopi's defense of Cosby and Gibson.

And I wish Sara would stop with that new tic of hers: pouting when she's not mentioned as someone that is loved by other celebrities. It's very offputting.

So so sad to hear about Harry Belafonte, Jr. I have this singing banana that I put under my tree at Christmas, with his voice singing "Banana Boat" and always dancing around my room when it played.

• Like 9
1 hour ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Then in high school, our library was able/allowed to have teen romances and the librarian chose me to review them.

When I was a teenager I was going to a county library and checking out Jackie Collins novels.  The librarian never once questioned me. My ten year old granddaughter just read the Outsiders.  I was so happy.  It was the first non children's books I ever read.  Still one of my all time favorites.  I'm sure someone has or is trying to ban it just because.

1 hour ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I guess Sunny wasn't privy to the information that was released about the threatening texts that Lemon sent to the first female cohost he shared a show with? Those texts led straight back to coming from him. And other things. As has been said, just because one didn't harass/abuse you doesn't mean they didn't abuse/harass others. Sunny's defense sounded very much like Whoopi's defense of Cosby and Gibson.

I knew Sunny would not think Lemon deserved what he got.  He has been problematic for awhile now.  You can be friends with someone and still acknowledge their faults.

• Like 10
23 minutes ago, bluegirl147 said:

When I was a teenager I was going to a county library and checking out Jackie Collins novels.  The librarian never once questioned me. My ten year old granddaughter just read the Outsiders.  I was so happy.  It was the first non children's books I ever read.  Still one of my all time favorites.  I'm sure someone has or is trying to ban it just because.

There are usually ways to work around restrictions. One way is not to check out the book, but read it at the library. As long as it isn't too popular, you should be able to finish it in a few visits. The other thing I did with somewhat questionable books was to read them in the bookstore. Again, if you aren't too obvious, you can at least read "the good parts" and finish the book eventually. 

• Like 1
  • Wink 1
55 minutes ago, bluegirl147 said:

It was the first non children's books I ever read. 

First one I ever read was Gone With the Wind at 12.  Taken out from our local library.  Went totally over my head.  It's problematic for lots of reasons that eluded me at 12 but that  doesn't mean it should be taken off library shelves or denied to tweenagers who are not as smart as they think they are!

• Like 5

Admittedly I never watched him, but thought Sara expressed very well the problem with *ucker - thank you. And Don Lemon just never seemed a compelling anchor to me.

Loved Harry Belafonte, but my first thought about him was, how old was he anyway?? 96 - I guessed 100+.  No spring chick here and Belafonte seems to’ve been around my whole life.  Whoopi was so sincere in her mini eulogy, but still couldn’t describe her admiration sans employing a toilet term (stepped in it) -  is it too late for a li’l re-education?

Edited by flummoxd
Typo

Sunny...I get you have been friends with so many people for so long. But an apology does not erase misogyny if it is insincere.

Lemon said women are are no longer in their prime after their 30 and 40's. You, yourself, are in your early 50's. He kept doubling down on that.

• Like 9
  • Mind Blown 1

I get that Meghan Trainor is on a promotional tour and likely telling her interviewers not to mention the giant foot she stuck in her mouth this weekend, but I really wish former teacher Joy would have brought it up.

For those that don't know, she was discussing American schools and education on her podcast. Her cohost brought up some teachers that treated her badly growing up and Megan said "F*ck teachers!" 

• Like 2
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, geekburger said:

That was a missed opportunity. Her management must  have squashed any questions regarding that statement (or the show is further out of touch than realized).

I didn't know about it till yesterday. But in my defense it's not my job to know about someone I'm going to be interviewing.

15 hours ago, flummoxd said:

And Don Lemon just never seemed a compelling anchor to me.

I don't watch CNN (or any cable news) but hearing about Lemon and catching snippets of him I wasn't impressed. It seemed like he was more interested in getting his name out there than actually doing his job. 

11 hours ago, maggiemae said:

Sunny...I get you have been friends with so many people for so long. But an apology does not erase misogyny if it is insincere.

100% agree.  Personally I don't think Lemon thinks he said anything wrong.

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, Haleth said:

Kind of ironic that the show booted Nicole Wallace for being uninformed, but now they’re showing clips from her show in hot topics. 

NW got booted for being uninformed about pop culture.  She knows more about the current political climate than all five (six) panelists combined.

• Like 9
  • Applause 1
1 hour ago, HerkyJerky said:

Is nobody going to snark on Sarah‘s hairstyle today? I guess you guys are all out getting donuts since that what her hairstyle made me hungry for!😝

yeah, what was the stylist thinking? very strange

• LOL 1
6 hours ago, HerkyJerky said:

Is nobody going to snark on Sarah‘s hairstyle today? I guess you guys are all out getting donuts since that what her hairstyle made me hungry for!😝

This made me laugh. I haven't watched yet, maybe later...when I'm hungry. 

• Like 1

I think that was more an excuse they gave for firing her, they really just wanted to restart, imo.

I didn't see yesterday's show because the channel here had "technical difficulties" where I live. 🙄 I'll have to catch it online sometime, I wanted to see what they said about Carlson and Lemon. Today was pretty good though, but most shows are now. The relationship topic made me laugh when Joy made the sex slave comment and Whoopi cracked ("Why I do get myself sucked into this every time?"). Whoopi was being so serious and everyone else was more playing around, lol.

I mainly remember Nicole W. on The View for the viewers’ praise for her hair (even better now if you like long) and, as a Californian, for  saying “Where’s Malibu,” so on Deadline: White House she’s been a revelation - knowledgeable, smart, empathetic, and courageous enough to change beliefs acquired from her upbringing when she realized they didn’t comport with her values.  Kudos, Nicole - we hardly knew ya!

Edited by flummoxd
Accuracy
  • Like 9
  • Applause 2

Alyssa doesn’t know where she stands on transgender treatments for minors?  Well, it’s a good thing she doesn’t have to make those decisions. Just points to how it’s nobody’s business except for those families. 

• Like 8
  • Applause 1
2 hours ago, Haleth said:

Alyssa doesn’t know where she stands on transgender treatments for minors?  Well, it’s a good thing she doesn’t have to make those decisions. Just points to how it’s nobody’s business except for those families. 

At least she's being honest about it. I think that on many issues people have "aspirational" opinions unless they have to confront the issue in their own lives. Just as we'd all like to think we'd behave heroically in a crisis, we may not live up to our ideals in real life. Each family has to figure things out for themselves, and the fewer judgmental people sounding off, the better. More information is great, as long as it is actual information and not propaganda or opinions disguised as facts.

• Like 7
  • Applause 2
On 4/24/2023 at 3:56 PM, GHScorpiosRule said:

Can't wait until Friday when Judy Blume discusses how suddenly, in the 80s, ALL her books were being banned/censored. Especially Deenie, Forever, and Are You There, God? It's Me, Margaret.

I have said this before in other threads but I was suspended in 7th grade for having Wifey during our reading period.  I cannot wait to see Are you there God? It's Me Margaret.  A friend saw the premier and said it was fantastic!  Judy Blume had quite an influence on my younger self!  If these bans keep up, there are going to be huge swaths of uneducated folks out there!

Re Whoopies rant about bans, banning books etc only makes it more exciting to read.   I am glad this is being discussed on the show.  

RIP Jerry Springer!

• Like 3
4 minutes ago, Natalie68 said:

I cannot wait to see Are you there God? It's Me Margaret.  A friend saw the premier and said it was fantastic! 

Neither can I! I'm TOTALLY seeing it tomorrow night!

5 minutes ago, Natalie68 said:

Re Whoopies rant about bans, banning books etc only makes it more exciting to read.   I am glad this is being discussed on the show.  

Joy has the best segment on this when she moderates on Fridays. She chooses which banned book to discuss and give to the audience.

• Like 6
  • Applause 2