Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E15: No Way Out

Trini
  • Start Topic

Aunt Vi enlists the help of McCall and the team when she realizes her masseuse is a victim of domestic abuse. Also, McCall trains Dee on situational awareness and Dante goes against orders by chasing after the man who shot his friend Manny.

Airdate: April 23, 2023

I have no idea why Robyn had to give that woman money and a new place to live when she has a perfectly nice home filled with ground turkey to go back to. It is not like her husband was going to be bothering her again.

That situation with Lo-Lo made no sense, they could have made some really nice stories about Dante trying to get back his missing gun that was being used for all kinds of crimes, and it was eating Dante up inside.

• Like 6
  • Love 1

Dante should be cleared in the investigation to Lo-Lo's death but his new captain is not going to be amused.  Also, that other precinct that was looking into this guy won't be thrilled either.

13 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

I have no idea why Robyn had to give that woman money and a new place to live when she has a perfectly nice home filled with ground turkey to go back to. It is not like her husband was going to be bothering her again.

Yes, I don't necessarily understand that either unless Robyn figures a new start away from any memory of psycho husband would be good for the woman and her kid.

• Like 4
3 minutes ago, possibilities said:

I understand wanting to get a fresh start. She could sell the house, though, and use that money, couldn't she?

That's what I thought as well! And wouldn't they have bank accounts, etc that she could access as his spouse even if not joint? I just don't think that they needed to add that line in the show since the viewers would assume that she would not have financial issues.

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, Jackie14 said:

That's what I thought as well! And wouldn't they have bank accounts, etc that she could access as his spouse even if not joint? I just don't think that they needed to add that line in the show since the viewers would assume that she would not have financial issues.

If they aren’t joint, she’ll have more difficulty accessing them. Takes time to sell a house and get cash out, and where do they go until then? It takes a while to work through the legal system. Until things are more settled, her access to cash & accounts will be restricted, and some cash will no doubt be useful.

He seemed nice enough at first meeting, so I’m glad Aunt Vi knew what to look for and was persistent. I’m not sure that if her son hadn’t been hit, she would have left when she did.

I enjoyed Robyn’s time with Delilah. D is young and has a lot to learn.

So Dante took care of Lolo, but not quite the best outcome. I don’t think his boss will be pleased.

• Like 4
32 minutes ago, possibilities said:

I understand wanting to get a fresh start. She could sell the house, though, and use that money, couldn't she?

I would assume that as well but it could take time.  If the guy was as controlling as he was portrayed she probably doesn't have access to any of his bank accounts and the house could be in his name only.  As his wife she would eventually obtain the house and the money (even if he didn't have a will) but it may take time and Robyn's money would be a bridge in the meantime. 

I guess she wouldn't want to go back to that house but it was a nice home overall and she could redecorate and get rid of all traces of him. 

Overall - pretty good episode.

Edited by greekmom
  • Like 5
19 hours ago, janeta said:

-groan- I do not give a rodent’s backside about Delilah….

I really liked her storyline, I liked how Robyn is teaching her and sharing advice.  Robyn has shut Dee out of this aspect of her life for so long, it's nice to see her opening up and guiding her.

17 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

That situation with Lo-Lo made no sense, they could have made some really nice stories about Dante trying to get back his missing gun that was being used for all kinds of crimes, and it was eating Dante up inside.

Agreed.  The husband died, right?  I don't think we got any confirmation but it seemed likely that Robyn killed him.  Why would Angie have to move away?  Unless she is fearful that her husband's family will come after her... in which case she should change her name and move cross country.  I can understand why she doesn't want to live in the house because of the memories, but maybe her son wants to stay there?  It might be the only home he has ever known.  

I forget, where is all of Robyn's money coming from?  Surely she didn't earn it all working for the CIA.  And currently it seems that she doesn't get paid by any of her clients.  Did she get a nice settlement from Miles?

I know that Harry and Mel seem wealthy, but I forget where Robyn's money is from.  She not only does everything for free but also gives her money away to her clients.

I really don't care for the new hardass captain.  Why is she being so tough on Dante?  I get that there's apparently seemingly like two people that work in his entire office, so there is no one else for her to rag on, but still.

It seems obvious that he will face disciplinary action for all of this.  1) losing his gun, 2) losing his badge, 3) investigating a case he was told both by the detective in charge and his captain to drop, 4) going without backup to Lo Lo's apartment, 5) going without backup to the girlfriend's apartment, 6) letting Lo Lo die, 7) captain that already hates him.  I'm sure the girlfriend will make a statement against him.  

• Like 6

Dante is stupid to go rogue with no back up though. I think he's been spiraling lately. Even Robyn calls for back up when she's on to something she knows is dangerous.

I liked Robyn talking to De about situational awareness. That's often left out of self-defense conversations on tv, which tend to focus on fancy footwork and exciting moves that make for good visuals.

• Like 9

"Well, that escalated quickly!" was my main reaction to Aunt Vi and Dante's plots. I mean, I know these shows have to wrap up everything in 40 minutes, but dang. I think maybe they could have had the domestic abuse plot play out over two episodes? But I did like seeing Toussaint be the main actor in an A-plot.

I liked Robyn and Dee's subplot. I assume all this will lead up to Dee having to use all her new skills in the finale?

Shallow notes: Some nice jackets in this one; and they should try and do some different hairstyles for Aunt Vi.

• Like 3

It worked out, but I was expecting Vi to get the wife in trouble with her persistence. Coming to her house repeatedly and pushing to come in, where her husband could have potentially seen/heard. She was super loud when she was yelling through the door -- what if he'd been home?! It was putting her at risk. Vi did and said what most of us think we should do, but everything I've heard from survivors is that that really doesn't work. They are more likely to dig in and shut down.

• Like 6
15 hours ago, snarktini said:

It worked out, but I was expecting Vi to get the wife in trouble with her persistence. Coming to her house repeatedly and pushing to come in, where her husband could have potentially seen/heard. She was super loud when she was yelling through the door -- what if he'd been home?! It was putting her at risk. Vi did and said what most of us think we should do, but everything I've heard from survivors is that that really doesn't work. They are more likely to dig in and shut down.

Yes, it did seem reckless.  But maybe we can handwave that she knew the husband was at work? Still, lots of people have video surveillance of their homes, and I could totally see the husband having something like that to track the wife's movements.  Yet it was never mentioned, only the bluetooth device, so guess not. 

On 4/24/2023 at 7:39 PM, possibilities said:

I liked Robyn talking to De about situational awareness. That's often left out of self-defense conversations on tv, which tend to focus on fancy footwork and exciting moves that make for good visuals.

I really loved that Robyn set her straight about running from the tall, intimidating man when they were at the park.  It's just as badass to get to safety and live to tell the tale as to physically engage when necessary.  

On 4/25/2023 at 12:19 AM, Trini said:

Shallow notes: Some nice jackets in this one; and they should try and do some different hairstyles for Aunt Vi.

Listen, Vi's hair is as much a character on the show as Robyn's wardrobe!

On 4/24/2023 at 4:45 PM, blackwing said:

I really liked her storyline, I liked how Robyn is teaching her and sharing advice.  Robyn has shut Dee out of this aspect of her life for so long, it's nice to see her opening up and guiding her.

Agreed, it's long overdue. 

On 4/24/2023 at 4:45 PM, blackwing said:

I really don't care for the new hardass captain.  Why is she being so tough on Dante?  I get that there's apparently seemingly like two people that work in his entire office, so there is no one else for her to rag on, but still.

Dante is the only detective in his precinct (and most times all of NYC), apparently.  I didn't understand the hostility from the captain, either.

• Like 5

I like Aunt Vi shooting the husband good for her. I like the realistic reaction at the end of the episode.

I'm confused as to Robyn giving her money too. Did she even want to leave? Her husband's gone.

Dante should have called for back up.  I don't like the captain it feels unnecessary.

I liked Robyn training Dee. That was fun to see. 

I liked Harry finding out what happened to Mel's friend. 

• Like 2
10 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

I like Aunt Vi shooting the husband good for her. I like the realistic reaction at the end of the episode.

I thought that Robin shot the husband; Aunt Vi was pointing the gun at him but couldn't shoot and then we see Robin with a gun and, to me, it looked like she had just shot it. Whilst we're on the subject, I'm so sick and tired of them always going in for the kill in American films and series; the guy wasn't armed, Robin is a good shot, she could, and should, have shot him in the leg.

• Like 1

Robyn shot the husband, I don't know if he died. At the end, Aunt Vi say something like it was so hard to pull the trigger and Robyn says she wishes it was harder for her to pull the trigger as well. If I was writing the episode, I would have had the bald cop who got knocked out in the car run up and shoot the husband. Robyn doesn't always have to save everybody.

On 4/26/2023 at 11:37 AM, ribboninthesky1 said:

Dante is the only detective in his precinct (and most times all of NYC), apparently.

Jersey too! The toxic waste dump was "down the Turnpike" in Jersey (because of course it was) and Dante the Bagdeless Wonder Cop had no issues trampling on the local jurisdiction. Although I did laugh at Lolo calling Dante "5-0" as the Hawaii 5-0 Task Force's jurisdiction was a bubble that followed them around wherever they happened to be if they were outside of Hawaii. They were state cops, under the mandate of the Governor of Hawaii... until and unless they needed to go shoot people in Colombia or Mexico or North Korea. From time to time they'd go stateside and shoot some people there too. Offhand, I recall Chicago, LA and some remote part of Montana getting a taste of that 5-0 justice. I'm sure there were more.

Also I know the team was pressed for time and all but it is particularly brave of them to randomly pop barrels of Jersey's finest toxic waste open in the hopes that a person will pop out. No protective gear at all! I'm not sure what the best way would be to approach a situation like this but they did it in the same episode where Robyn was lecturing at length about the importance of situational awareness.

4 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

Robyn shot the husband, I don't know if he died.

There is some discussion to be had here as to what kind of legal theory applies to Robyn shooting this guy and the police taking no issue with it. Yes, he was an asshole and he deserved it. Yes, she was defending two people who were in imminent danger from this dude. Yes, the dude injured or killed that cop downstairs (and this makes me wonder if they cut a scene where he took the cop's gun) and so Robyn was at least theoretically in hot pursuit of a murdering murderer who was on his way to do more murder. But I have a feeling the police would take somewhat of a dim view on her shooting the guy dead nonetheless.

I thought Dante's gun was going to show up at the end in the hands of someone who would gun Lolo down and make it look like Dante did it. Ohhh, I have an idea! Make it that kid who was "helping"! The one Dee likes. Turns out he's actually the brains of the operation and he's been fooling everybody this whole time! And he just tricked a cop into murdering a rival and that's when the dirty cops show up to put the squeeze on Dante. Because otherwise I feel like "low-level piece of shit drug dealer learns how to fly but not how to land" would not cause Dante's new Captain to give him the whole "you're too close to this!" speech. Instead, the cops would laugh, slap Dante on the back and change the subject to something like "I can't believe you went to Jersey... on purpose!"

• Like 1

I so agree with you about Hawaii 5-0. I stopped watching it after the umpteenth shooting of a suspect-- someone who was already incustody, tied to a chair, and being held without any kind of due process. They shot him in the knee to get him to confess to a crime he didn't commit, when they realized he was innocent thy let him go with nary an oopsie, sorry for the bullet in your kneecap...and I never watched the show again.

• Useful 1
On 4/29/2023 at 11:22 PM, dwmarch said:

Dante is the only detective in his precinct (and most times all of NYC), apparently.

Well, eventually I think he'll run into Danny Reagan! ;-)