Type keyword(s) to search

S25: Keith & Whitney

• Start Topic

Hi.  We met on Survivor: South Pacific and got engaged soon after . . . even though one of us was still married when we first met!

I think they can make a decent go at it like Rob & Amber did, considering that Survivor is no easy game to play.  Then again, I thought that about Ethan & Jenna, too, and look what happened to them.  So they could go either way.

• Love 3

I loved these two in Survivor: South Pacific.  They were mostly invisible, but I liked that they each gave that overrated little weasel, Cochran, a separate talking-to that he greatly deserved.  And I like that they're kind of an obscure choice of castaways to bring onto the race since they aren't that well-known due to their near-invisible edit on Survivor.  That said, if they could quit that task, I don't see their survival being long-term.  They might not stand up to anything very well if they could quit that.

Edited by Donny Ketchum
  • Love 4

From the episode thread:

I remember Whitney and Keith but can understand why many don't. For starters the tribe/alliance they were in got pagonged after the merge when Cochran flipped and they were in a season that had bigger personalities and more memorable people. Coach and Ozzy came back that season, two people many remembered and either liked or hated from previous season and so they got a lot of attention. Cochran's flip was considered a key part of changing the game so most remember him and then there was the introduction of bat-shit crazy Brandon Hantz.

On top of that Whitney and Keith's relationship really didn't play out during the season. I don't know if it was because they downplayed it so as to not put targets on themselves or the editors just didn't care. But either way, most people didn't know they were in a romantic relationship until after they'd been eliminated. I also remember them because there was some "controversy" because she was very much married when she went on Survivor and met Keith, which I think is the other reason, the relationship was downplayed on the show.

All the talk about it was vague so I don't know for sure, but I don't think Whitney told anyone she was married, including the Surivor producers. I recall reading an article after the season was over about how although she and her husband were living together, not even their family or closest friends knew they were married and didn't find out until the divorce was underway. Also, right around the time that Whitney and Keith's season of Survivor ended, there was some Bachelor-type show on the Nashville network (is that an actual thing? I might be making that up. Some country music network, at any rate) with her husband as one of the bachelors; however, I don't know when that filmed in relation to when Survivor filmed. In any event, there was always something a little fishy about the marriage.

Aside from all that, I don't really remember Keith and Whitney from Survivor either. I barely remember Keith and I only remember Whitney for hissing, "you disgust me" at Cochran after he flipped, mainly because they showed it in a commercial about a thousand times that week. So I don't have any preconceived opinion about these two on TAR yet. They seem fine, although I did wonder at how calmly she was berating him during the treasure chest hunt. He didn't seem too bothered by it, but it reminded me a little of Christie's ice-cold manner when Colin was freaking out over his broken ox.

My favorite soap, Edge of Night, had a marvelous villainous character named Keith Whitney back in the early seventies. So when I saw "Keith & Whitney" arrive, I giggled incessantly. That being said, I don't see them lasting long, and I do see her getting more shrill the longer they do last.

• Love 3

Yeah, they weren't large personalities & or big characters on Survivor. Keith was sort of forgettable and like fishcakes said, Whitney is just basically remembered for saying one line out of 14 episodes. So, I was kind taken aback when they were cast for TAR since it was a few years ago when they were on. I could understand if it was just last season but it wasn't. I know the Big 3 of TAR, Survivor & BB are cross casting but Keith & Whitney wouldn't have been on my radar. I don't think they are long for the race. Maybe, 7 or 8 place?! They are kind of vanilla to me. Very boring. IMO!

But Rob & Amber got screentime to spare when they were on Survivor (especially Rob).  So people knew them.  Keith & Whitney had the misfortune of being on a season in which the editors and producers decided that the big characters of the season (all male, by the way) should monopolize nearly all of the screentime rather than all of the castaways getting it equally.  In other words, we barely got to see Keith & Whitney because their Survivor season was The Coach, Ozzy, Brandon, and Cochran Show with a Side of Jim.  Hardly their fault, and I hate it when people try to make it that way.

People on their season have said that both had personalities that didn't get shown a lot because the editing focused so heavily on those I'd mentioned.  I believe them.  Again, not their fault.  I'd put the blame on Jeff Probst and his editing team rather than Keith & Whitney themselves.

I'm glad they're on TAR since it'll give them more of a chance to show their personalities that Survivor wouldn't let them show.

Edited by Donny Ketchum
  • Love 3

I agree with you Donny based on what I've been told by two former Survivors. They are cast in a role, and by golly the editors will get what they want whether you give it to them or not. And we had Rob shoved down our throats as much as Rupert and the Hantzes to the point I almost quit watching altogether. I hope this couple does well and are happy in their personal lives.

• Love 4

BK1978, on 30 Sept 2014 - 12:04 AM, in the 25-01 episode thread, said:

Yeah that is why I do not like her as well.  That tribe treated him like shit for the most part and made it clear to him that he was on the bottom, so why would he not flip.

Don't wanna get too into this in a TAR thread, but what the hell?  Why not?  Only Ozzy, Jim, and Keith did that.  Whitney and Dawn were the ones who tried to include him.  He, in a lot of ways, ostracized himself from them before even getting the chance to try and bond with them.

• Love 6

I remember them from Survivor and, had their team not been Pagonged, I think they would have had been in a pretty good position, if say Cochran had agreed to pair with Ozzy when the latter ofered, and Jim had been targeted (Whitney's position in particular would have been strong, as ladies seem not to be targeted right away comes merge time). I know, shoulda, woulda, etc., but in this case I think there was indeed a pretty convincing potential scenario under what happened. And it explains Whitney's going ballistic on Cochran because he DID usher the end of her game and I think she's savvy enough to have realized it.   

• Love 4
(edited)

A fine recovery after taking the penalty last time, but admittedly, they owe it largely to rowing the punts and having Keith's strength for it. Other than that, they faltered at Pancake Race and are lucky that Michael & Scott and Dennis & Isabelle faltered at it, too. Whitney was funny falling off the punt multiple times, though. :)

Edited by GenL
Removed Survivor talk

He still annoys me sometimes - she's growing on me - but I have to credit them for their focus and ability to bounce back from problems. I did not expect to see a second place finish from them this leg. They will stay contenders, I think, for some time, if his Colin-like 'intensity' doesn't lead to more than one irreversible mistake.

He still annoys me sometimes - she's growing on me - but I have to credit them for their focus and ability to bounce back from problems. I did not expect to see a second place finish from them this leg. They will stay contenders, I think, for some time, if his Colin-like 'intensity' doesn't lead to more than one irreversible mistake.

TudorQueen, did you mean to put this in Misti & Jim's thread?  Because they came in second, not Keith & Whitney.

Let's stay on topic. This thread is to talk about Whitney and Keith on TAR. Not on Survivor and not a thread to rehash past seasons of Survivor. I've deleted and edited some posts to keep this thread on topic.

• Love 1

It was a deleted comment but I think it's relevant and is not off-topic...  

Have there been other 'reality tv couples' on this show in the past who didn't include a show winner?  Rob/Amber, Jenna/Ethan, Jeff/Jordan, Rachel/Brendan, the proposed Hayden/Kat... all had at least one winner.  

Have there been other 'reality tv couples' on this show in the past who didn't include a show winner?  Rob/Amber, Jenna/Ethan, Jeff/Jordan, Rachel/Brendan, the proposed Hayden/Kat... all had at least one winner.

The first pair BB4 Alison and her boyfriend Donny they were the second one out on Amazing Race 5. Alison came in second during her Big Brother season.

Sorry if this is a little off topic, but I can't resist.  And I'll understand if it gets deleted....

Whitney filmed an episode of "Say Yes to the Dress" back in May, picking out her wedding dress in NYC. I watched it today & was VERY amused that they referred to her as a  "Country Music Star".  The dress was all lace, and really beautiful, but if their relationship doesn't survive THIS TV show, she's already out almost $5,000.....*LOL*

Happy third anniversary, you guys!

These two did a great job throughout the leg, for once!  The only real slip they seemed to have was going the wrong way to find the Vikings.  But other than that, very solid!  Working their way up, indeed!

Surprised by no Survivor reference made when they had their torch, though.

(edited)

Well, it was quite a run for them, and it's almost sad to see them go on a leg in which they were actually doing quite well at first.  They set up that cart first and were one of the top teams leaving the Roadblock.  But they just lost too much time on that Detour and had to face that U-Turn, as a result.  Also, they just plain blew the social aspect of the race by ticking off Shelley & Nici to get U-Turned in the first place.

Personally, I'm sorry to see them go.  But hey, they got more screen time on this show than they'd ever gotten on Survivor!

Only thing that makes me angry at their early elimination is that it'll make Cochran happy, no doubt.

Edited by Donny Ketchum

I wouldn't say I hated this team, but I didn't have a lot of like for them either - there was something about Keith that I found vaguely disturbing, and Whitney's descent into whiny defeatism ("I can't do this". "I won't do this", "I'm quitting!", etc) was painful to watch. So it wasn't the schadenfreude that I felt with the Realtors, but I won't miss them.

I still think Shelley and Nici should have U-turned Jim and Misti instead, although they might have recovered even from that, and the goal of burning the Save would then not have been reached, while in reality (reality reality?) Keith and Whitney, a strongish team, though never dominant, were duly Philiminated.

And they seem to really love each other..

• Love 2

They perceive Misti & Jim to be a strong team, and if any team plans to make the final 3, they know that Jim will U-Turn them next time 'around AND make life a living hell for them in the next few legs.  So I think the teams were being smart.

• Love 1

I didn't hate them or love them. They did mildly annoying things sometimes. I'm not brokenhearted to see them go. You don't gun for a team like Misti and Jim with a Save or Adam and Bethany who could probably have rocked out both tasks (if they had been an option). I think putting their fight aside, Keith and Whitney are the strongest team you can go for. They're middle of the pack in general but capable of wins if the stars align so I think it was good to take them out. I doubt Shelley and Nici were thinking that logically. They were probably just still mad at them.

I'm just kind of disappointed that Whitney couldn't get in a "You disgust me!" at either Shelley, Nici, or both of them before she and Keith went.  Lovely callback to when she said it to Cochran.

She sure had plenty to say in the taxi in one of the bonus clips.  You should check it out.  It's the one called "Bad Blood".  Very enlightening.  Keith and Whitney actually said that they (S&N) were lying to everyone and that they didn't believe they were mother and daughter. (What?!)  They even think (or thought) that the cyclists were playing dirty. Really?  How did they come to that conclusion?

I can't figure out what was really going on in their heads.

They perceive Misti & Jim to be a strong team, and if any team plans to make the final 3, they know that Jim will U-Turn them next time 'around AND make life a living hell for them in the next few legs.  So I think the teams were being smart.

But they could've tried to make them burn their Save so they wouldn't have had that particular crutch later on.

• Love 1