Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E13: Open

• Start Topic

The collapse/shattering of the corpse when Owen attempted to do chest compressions was one of the more horrifying things I've seen on this show. It reminded me of the kind of gore they used to routinely show on Bones.

At least they're mostly back to doing rescues this week, even if they do season it with relationship drama.

I was disappointed that once again Owen's love interest turns out to be shady-- not because of the open marriage but because of the possible/likely homicide of her husband.

One of Grace's sisters really looked like she could be her sister. I don't know if it's casting or make up, but wow-- same facial structure, it was really striking.

• Like 4

So. they did cut down to only two plots this episode, one which was ok and the other which was terrible. 

Are we supposed to feel sorry or sympathetic toward Kendra not telling Owen that she's in an open marriage? Because I didn't like her already, so this just made me hate her. If she's all in on an open marriage, good for her, but she has to be 100% honest with the men she's seeing. And no, her declaring her love for Owen isn't a good reason to not have told him upfront. And as if I'm supposed to believe that she was so head over heels for him the night of the charity gala that she wouldn't have told him.

And Owen's an idiot for not figuring it out or doing ANY research into Kendra which would have come across this information.

I will say, I think they hinted at the promo that something was gonna happen to Kendra's husband's corpse but I was NOT expecting that level of....I don't even know what to call it. Owen caved his chest in and it shattered. 

Still, what a dumb plot overall. I assume they're not gonna make Owen's love interest ANOTHER criminal, but I also can't figure out why he'd possibly stay with Kendra, who has not just withheld vital information MULTIPLE times, she's also acted as if it's something he should just know and also accept. Owen better get a clue and run from this woman.

As for Grace's plot, it was alright, I forgot that Grace's dad cheated on her mom and Grace never talked about it with him, so I was confused why she was so hostile toward him. But hey, we did get to see Sierra's real life sisters cameo as her onscreen sisters. The singing montage was really just to showcase the McClain Sisters' ability to sing, but it was alright and it made sense to the scene, I guess. 

I'm just glad Judd/Grace finally got a plot that didn't center around Wyatt.

1 hour ago, possibilities said:

One of Grace's sisters really looked like she could be her sister. I don't know if it's casting or make up, but wow-- same facial structure, it was really striking.

100% casting, seeing as both sisters are her real life sisters. I remember reading about it a couple of days ago in an article that both would appear. I also didn't know there was a third McClain sister.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
1 hour ago, Lady Calypso said:

100% casting, seeing as both sisters are her real life sisters. I remember reading about it a couple of days ago in an article that both would appear. I also didn't know there was a third McClain sister.

Aha! I hadn't seen the press on this.

I don't believe for a minute Grace wouldn't talk to her father and/or mother about the affair. She's never been lacking guts. 

I don't have a problem with an open marriage, but I agree it's shady not to disclose it-- and to invite Owen to her home, knowing her husband was going to be there, and STILL not tell him?! It makes it seem plausible that she could in fact be a murderer, because it's clear she doesn't care about anything but her own momentary impulses.

• Like 5

That CPR scene was incredibly gross, but my best friend had something sort of similar happen to him early in his paramedic career.

Spoiler

He tried to resuscitate a pedestrian who'd been hit by a big vehicle and when he did chest compressions the man's torso just squished away from his hands—the rib cage had been pulverized.

• Mind Blown 3
  • Sad 2

I thought this was a good episode for Grace. In a weird way I kind of liked seeing her lose her shit at the call center and have the call taken away from her. Grace always has the coolest and calmest head in the room so it's a nice change once in awhile to see that she's only human. The rendition of "Smile" was really beautiful.

When Kendra's husband walked into the bedroom post-coital I had a major case of déjà vu. I swear I've seen this identical situation on some other TV show, where it turns out the woman is in an open marriage and the guy she's banging has no idea 'til the husband walks in, and both man and wife are all casual like it's an everyday occurrence.

When Owen caved in that guy's chest I yelled the F word so loud I'm sure my neighbors heard me. I would think there would be some sort of repercussion for Owen doing that, even if the guy was already dead.

• Like 5
2 hours ago, LtKelley said:

I don't know why they started cpr on frozen husband. I doubt very much that a home cryo set could malfunction that badly but if the body is that frozen, he's not coming back. 

There's an old adage in the medical field: you're not dead until you're warm and dead.

It is because it is possible to survive a cold water drowning with very little brain damage. I don't know if the same would be true for cryopreservation. Still, they should have started with warming procedures instead of CPR.

While we're at it, you also shouldn't place a toddler on the chest of someone who just had open heart surgery. The sternum is still too unstable. Besides, it would hurt like hell.

• Like 8
  • Fire 2
15 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

as if I'm supposed to believe that she was so head over heels for him the night of the charity gala that she wouldn't have told him.

She also didn't tell him she wasn't the bartender. I think she likes playing mind games with people which may also have something to do with the open marriage scenario.

• Like 8
  • Useful 2

Am I the only one who got mental whiplash between the Kendra plot and the Grace plot? 

Kendra so planned this from before Owen figured out she wasn't a bartender. 
And, yes, Owen, she did Google you.
Except: "And I hope you freeze to death" doesn't sound like what she'd have said if she made that happen. 
So maybe she just poisoned him. Murder lore says that the preferred method of female assassins. 
Unless it was some sort of suicide made to look like murder to get even with his wife.

Owen attempting CPR only to have the frozen chest shatter is the stuff of nightmares. 
I mean, we should've seen him at least waking up in a cold sweat. 

The singing trio made me cry.
But then they handed the toddler to the Dad in ICU. Even without having a serious medical condition, I worried about the actor trying to lift the toddler over his body while he was lying down. William Allen Young is my age, and that grandbaby is about the same as mine. Oof!
And after major surgery???
He's probably not supposed to lift more than 5 pounds right now, and 10 pounds for a while after he is released.

• Like 5
21 hours ago, possibilities said:

The collapse/shattering of the corpse when Owen attempted to do chest compressions was one of the more horrifying things I've seen on this show. It reminded me of the kind of gore they used to routinely show on Bones.

At least they're mostly back to doing rescues this week, even if they do season it with relationship drama.

I was disappointed that once again Owen's love interest turns out to be shady-- not because of the open marriage but because of the possible/likely homicide of her husband.

I haven't read this whole thread, so apologize if this has already been mentioned, but I believe that Grace's real life sisters played her sisters in this episode

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
9 hours ago, LtKelley said:

I don't know why they started cpr on frozen husband. I doubt very much that a home cryo set could malfunction that badly but if the body is that frozen, he's not coming back. 

Why did Owen do the CPR when all the paramedics were standing nearby?

• Like 1

That's my recollection. Though Owen probably should have stepped back and let one of the first responders who WASN'T banging the corpsicle's wife attempt resuscitation/defrosting just to avoid any accusations of not doing the job competently for ulterior motives.

• Like 4

Was anyone else reminded of the scene in The Thing during the CPR scene?

The tongue swelling bit seemed like a cheap way to stage a rescue bit. Maybe the FX budget was lower for this ep. All they had to do was stick a fake swollen tongue in the actor's mouth.

While we're at it, you also shouldn't place a toddler on the chest of someone who just had open heart surgery. The sternum is still too unstable. Besides, it would hurt like hell.

Yeah, that was a real eyebrow raiser. I know it was supposed to be sometime later since he wasn't on the ventilator anymore, but he was still in the hospital. Not a great idea to have a toddler crawling all over you after open heart surgery.

• Like 3
20 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Kendra so planned this from before Owen figured out she wasn't a bartender. 
And, yes, Owen, she did Google you.
Except: "And I hope you freeze to death" doesn't sound like what she'd have said if she made that happen. 
So maybe she just poisoned him. Murder lore says that the preferred method of female assassins. 
Unless it was some sort of suicide made to look like murder to get even with his wife.

What are the chances she tampered with the car jack first? When that only maimed him, she had to resort to another method to kill him.

• Like 3
  • Applause 2
On 4/19/2023 at 9:57 AM, LtKelley said:

I'm more shocked that it took her dad actual years to figure out why she was pissed... and that this all got turned around on Grace not being forgiving enough. He's never said sorry to her but she's the one getting the guilt and chiding for not accepting his non acknowledgement to the family of his betrayal.

That reads as very realistic to me, though. I've lost count of how many times I've heard of things like abuse victims being shamed by the family for speaking up and "making trouble." As if it's the family's perfect image being stained that's the problem, not the person abusing his relatives.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
On 4/20/2023 at 10:16 AM, iMonrey said:

Yeah, that was a real eyebrow raiser. I know it was supposed to be sometime later since he wasn't on the ventilator anymore, but he was still in the hospital. Not a great idea to have a toddler crawling all over you after open heart surgery.

I think it was right after he was extubated immediately after his awakening during the serenade. All of his family were still wearing the same clothes and didn't look as though they had left the bedside.

Even if it was supposed to be a day or two later, the lifting restrictions, driving restrictions, etc. are in place for the first 90 days post-op.

• Fire 1
  • Useful 1