Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E04: He Bought a Hat

• Start Topic

I really like the relationship between Stuart and Kate. Very interesting conversation between them in the car.

"Tell her. You'll see. Rayburn, Billie... They don't want me without Hal." Loved Keri Russell's delivery of that line, too. Pitched just right. I've very much enjoyed her portrayal of the character.

• Like 10

I liked it too.

I'm a little tired of Kate telling everyone everything as if she's the only one who'd know.  For instance,  Dennison would probably know what he needs to do without Kate telling him.  I'd rather it was more of a partnership than dictatorship. 

That said, I did love the underlying sexual tension between them.

• Like 4
On 4/24/2023 at 3:06 AM, SoMuchTV said:

Lol, I’m guessing you haven’t seen The Americans. 

I haven't seen The Americans, but I had assumed it was a body double at the end with Hal...

What was that horrible live muzak version of that Corinne Bailey Rae song they were dancing to at the gala?? 

(edited)
9 hours ago, Sundazed said:

I had assumed it was a body double at the end with Hal..

Interesting! I just re-watched the scene, and her face is artfully hidden by her hair the whole time. Then they cut to a closer shot not showing her rear, and it’s Keri. So I too am voting for body double.

A bit surprising, because she had at least two bare butt scenes in The Americans. Then again, she is an executive producer on this show.

Edited by kay1864
  • Like 3
(edited)
On 5/4/2023 at 9:53 AM, Sundazed said:

I haven't seen The Americans, but I had assumed it was a body double at the end with Hal...

What was that horrible live muzak version of that Corinne Bailey Rae song they were dancing to at the gala?? 

I think the song was a version of "Put your Records On" that truly was horrible. I'd have to check though.

ETA-That is the song. Sounds even worse the second time

Edited by darockwilder
  • Like 1

This show is getting better. Now that I know the names of all the major players that really helps. That was probably the most frustrating part of the pilot, figuring out who they were talking about all the time.

Only one small nitpick though. Would the US ambassador to the UK not have a private washroom in her office. Her having to leave her office to pee seemed weird. Especially since the Embassy looks like a relatively new building.

• Like 1
19 hours ago, Friendly Lurker said:

Was there something significant about the fact that he bought a hat? Or was it just a random non sequitur? 

I think it was just to drive home the point that while Kate had a day of high stakes life or death situation s to manage, Hal is just …buying clothes for future formal events and getting bored.  

and it’s not a backseat role he can stay in comfortably for very long.  He says he wants to just support her but he’s going to get restless and draw attention to himself again because that’s how he is.

• Like 7

I really like that this show is about more than just typical spy/espionage stuff.  The personal relationships are getting a lot of screen time which adds to the quality. Kate's issue of living in her husband's shadow is very real and a struggle for her professionally and personally and she is honest about it. Everything in life is driven by people and their relationships.  Too often these shows ignore that.

• Like 4
On 5/18/2023 at 3:43 PM, Friendly Lurker said:

Was there something significant about the fact that he bought a hat? Or was it just a random non sequitur? 

I don't know, but I immediately thought of the Randy Newman song "You Can Leave Your Hat On." The lyrics say to take off your coat, your shoes, your dress, but leave your hat on.... And something about the hat got her all sexed up....

• Useful 3

The “bought a hat” is about him being the good little spouse who just twiddled his thumbs, was idle all day and went shopping to give himself something to do rather than acting like the former diplomat / power player who can’t help stirring up trouble.

On 6/11/2023 at 7:23 PM, MBayGal said:

I don't know, but I immediately thought of the Randy Newman song "You Can Leave Your Hat On." The lyrics say to take off your coat, your shoes, your dress, but leave your hat on.... And something about the hat got her all sexed up....

It wasn't the hat that started her "engine."  I think she was vibing with Dennison. He wasn't available, but her husband was. 

• Like 3
  • Useful 1