Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E09: Gwenivere of Glendale

• Start Topic

Gwen's fantasy is to go back in time and be the princess she longs to be -- pampered, rich and cared for -- but she soon finds out the king is preparing to marry her off to a cruel, ambitious prince; Ruby isn't feeling like herself.

Airs April 10, 2023.

• Like 1

Katie Stevens as Gwen
Daliana Lopez as Fern
Stella Doyle as Bea
Reilly Walters as Lance
Brandon Finn as Prince Anton
Daniel Hall as King Yahir
Rocky Venegas as Barber/Surgeon
Ricky Robles Cruz as Soldier

The preview that they showed at the end of this episode about the imaginary friend named Peaches, isn't the episode that will be airing next week, but the week after that.

Edited by AnimeMania
  • Like 1
  • Useful 1

This is a very dull fantasy. Someone who is facing a crisis of confidence wants to be a princess because she’d prefer someone else making decisions for her? Is it shallow or unimaginative?

The actress who plays Gwen was also in CSI Vegas as Catherine’s daughter. Don’t like her (character) there, don’t like her here.

Javier’s decision on not wanting to hear any explanation from Elena is understandable, he is still hurting. Elena has to live with it (for now) and learn not to make any rushed decisions again, when it comes to love.

The show hasn’t revisited the story re individual/entity that Segundo locks-up in one of the suite. Come on show, bring it on! 

My instinct is right, Isla is indeed a mermaid. She mentions Mr. Roarke. So Isla is Nyah from the OG series…

😱😱😱

• Like 3

I think I liked the conclusion - the artist/love interest being another guest, and them getting together in real life - more than the actual princess fantasy.

So Isla is a mermaid! I already know the island is *magic*, but this kind of opens up other questions (that I'll try not to think to deeply about): So are there any other magical/mythical creatures living in and around the Island? Is this just an Island thing, or do these creatures exist in the world outside of the Island as well? Do they exist because it was someone's fantasy?? Is Isla the only mermaid? Are there more?

But related to the story arc, is that just it for Ruby/Isla? She's gonna just be 'ghosted' by Isla, and she'll never know why?

Javier's reaction to the breakup is understandable; however, I don't understand why they had to have this DRAMA in the first place. Can my fluff show just be fluffy, please?

• Like 3
14 hours ago, SnazzyDaisy said:

So Isla is Nyah from the OG series…

Oh I didn't know there was a mermaid in the old show too. I guess that explains Isla, though I wonder why Elena didn't tell Ruby the truth.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Cress said:

Oh I didn't know there was a mermaid in the old show too. I guess that explains Isla, though I wonder why Elena didn't tell Ruby the truth.

I recently found out about it myself when I was exploring the mermaid theory.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

Wow.  This was easily their worst episode of the entire show.  Dull dull dull.  Poorly written, poorly acted, just bad all around.  And I say this as a fan of the show, hoping they get a 3rd season.  But keep this up, and it's cancellation city for them. 

The mermaid thing is stupid.  I don't care if it's a call back to the original series or not.  It's just stupid.  Ruby had potential for being an interesting character, and she's god awful boring. 

Come on show, you can do better! 

• Like 5

Wow!  Tough audience, I guess. I enjoyed it, and was grateful they didn’t get bogged down in jargon of the time. Yes, it was highly predictable, but like it’s predecessor, it’s fantasy. I liked the fact that no one was really in peril (it being Fantasy Island). I liked that the main character needed to recognize her competence in juxtaposition with medieval standards, and see the parallel between the demeaning doctor who made her doubt herself and the leech peddler. It was predictable from the meeting that she would become involved with the (charcoal stained) artist. Of course, he knew the truth and tried to save her. No surprise at the end, they’re both on the island in present time. 

I was the one to joke when Isla and Ruby first met: “Did anyone see a fin as Isla swam away?”  And I only watched the original occasionally, gently teasing my friends who watched religiously, and had no previous memory of a “mermaid” plot. It was just the fact she was always in the water that pointed in that direction. 

• Like 3
8 hours ago, rollacoaster said:

She was stone cold.

I get why. She reluctantly assumed responsibility for an uncontrollable island; hard enough, without a hedonistic spoiler to contend with.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, tvfanatic13 said:

Is Ruby (forgot the actress’ name) wearing prosthetic teeth or are they just too big for her mouth. They bug me to no end. 

TvFanactic, I found this online:

"Kiara Barnes, a rising senior at the University of Maryland, is known for her bright smile and perfect teeth. Her teeth are so perfect, in fact, that she’s been featured in magazines and online articles as “the girl with the perfect teeth.”

But Kiara’s perfect teeth didn’t come naturally. In fact, it took years of orthodontic treatment and a lot of hard work to get them to look the way they do today.

Kiara started wearing braces when she was just 11 years old. At first, she was self-conscious about her appearance and felt like everyone was staring at her. But she soon got used to the braces and realized that they were helping to improve her smile."😎😏

• Like 1
  • Useful 2

Ruby’s character is so disappointing.  I know her storyline is supposed to be that she’s a dewy eyed girl excited about life.  Yes, she’s in a young person’s body.  However her mind is still intact  from her 70+ years of living/ she has those memories.  She sometimes dispenses wise advice, but other times  she’s totally vapid.    She gets drunk with Helena, she wears clothing that Elena doesn’t.  Why can’t she dress like Elena just like Tattoo did with Roark?  Why can’t she be a mature  beyond her youthful appearance type person.  Either do that or wipe her memory of her earlier life before the island.  They are just wasting the character.   

I think we’ve all known Isla was a mermaid ( siren) from day 1.  

I was glad that the writers went the direction of multiple guests in the same fantasy.  Original Fantasy Island did  that fairly often. 

• Like 3

Finally got around to watching this one.

The Princess of Stock Footage Castle was... Actually that sort of sums it up.  I especially loved: "We should bed down here for the night," even though the shadows said it was clearly midday.  And she can put a dagger in a wood burning brazier and within moments it's red hot?  At least there was the Princess Bride callbacks: "As you wish"  And the other guy was a guest too, and so his fantasy involved getting tortured and maimed?  OK.  You people need to specify more.  I would have liked it better if the lady-in-waiting was actually the other guest and her fantasy was to lay around and do nothing and still save the day.  And just a final thought, if you can get knocked off your Life Path by one jerk boss, maybe it wasn't really your Life Path to begin with.

As for Ruby and Isla. Zzzzzzzzz.  Isla, who is a mermaid (called it!)  So at least now we can have boring lesbian love stories just like boring straight love stories. 

On 4/12/2023 at 6:40 PM, rollacoaster said:

I kinda liked bad bitch Elena when she was talking to Isla. She was stone cold.

That was my favorite scene by far.  This is the Circe-esque Elena Roake I want to see.

• Like 1