Type keyword(s) to search

Chit-Chat: What's On Your Mind Today?

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

We all have been drawn into off-topic discussions, me included. There's little that's off-topic when it comes to Chit Chat, so the only ask is that you please remember that this is the Chit Chat topic and that there's a subforum for all things health and wellness here.

If there's something you need clarification on, please keep in mind that it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; talk to them and not about what they said.
If you disagree, consider how we can express our differing opinions and still respect the other's opinion and recognize it as valid.
We're all different people, so different perspectives and points of views are natural, welcome even for growing a healthy community. What is important is that we disagree with empathy and consideration. (If need be, check out the how do we have healthy debates guidelines for more).

• Start Topic

28 minutes ago, oliviabenson said:

I know what you mean. I’m all alone hence the alcohol and lasagna and pudding I’m trying to cheer myself up with carbs. I thought someone would invite me over but no one did. Oh well. 

Just hang in there ❤️

Thank you. I hope you know,  although we're not much we're with you in spirit. ❤️🤗

• Like 1
  • Love 11
On 12/18/2023 at 9:51 PM, Calvada said:

The one holiday film I watch without fail every year, usually on Christmas Eve, is the version of A Christmas Carol with Alastair Sim.  (It was released as Scrooge in Britain.)  I just love it; I think Alastair Sim does one of the very best portrayals of Ebenezer Scrooge.  

Coincidentally I'm watching it right now with tears in my eyes.  It was always a tradition in my family to watch it every year on Christmas Eve.  I know it by heart and can recite it word for word.  I hear the voices of my family in my head.  My father always used to say "Bring down Master Scrooge's Box" and "Are there no prisons, are there no workhouses?".  And my grandpa always used to say "Scroooge" in that creepy spirit voice.  My family is all gone now so it's a bittersweet experience, especially while drinking spiked eggnog.

I also think it's the best version, although most people know the one made in the 1930s or the later one with George C. Scott.  I found out recently that Lionel Barrymore was supposed to play Scrooge in the '30s version but broke his leg so he had to be replaced last minute.  That explains for me why I didn't think the actor did the best job.  Alistair Sim will always be Scrooge to me.

• Like 4
  • Hugs 1
  • Love 2
40 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Thank you. I hope you know,  although we're not much we're with you in spirit. ❤️🤗

I know we are a lovely, kind, supportive bunch on here. Group hug and a toast to a good end of the year and a happier/better one next year!

• Like 4
  • Love 10
1 hour ago, oliviabenson said:

I know what you mean. I’m all alone hence the alcohol and lasagna and pudding I’m trying to cheer myself up with carbs. I thought someone would invite me over but no one did. Oh well. 

Just hang in there ❤️

We are with you in spirit.  I'm not alone but this is a sucky Christmas for me.  A 60+ foot pine tree fell on my house a few days ago and now there are holes in the roof and broken rafters and my front picture window was broken and a branch broke through the ceiling in front of the front door.  We are still waiting for the private adjuster and insurance adjuster to get back to us with an estimate but that's being delayed by the holiday.  Fortunately we were not hurt and miraculously no possessions were damaged other than the roof and rafters, the front window, the front wall, our ceiling and our front walk, but it's going to be a big job with a lot of aggravation I'm sure.  Thanks to some absolutely WONDERFUL neighbors they got us a tree service in an hour that took the tree off the house, cut it up and took it away.  It took 5 men several hours of constant work to get it all done.  We bought them 3 pizzas!

We had 2 rather soaking rain storms inside of a week and that is what caused trees to fall because the ground was so wet.  Over the years I'd had at least 2 tree people assure us that this tree was too far from the house and in no danger of falling anyway (and if it fell it wouldn't be toward the house).  So much for that theory.  

We'll have to stay in a hotel when they open the roof up to fix it and our furniture put in storage.  The good news is we'll get a new roof out of it (we needed one) and all new laminate flooring in the living area (which we also needed).  But one of the things we hate the most is dealing with contractors, even though we were referred to an excellent one who comes highly recommended by both my neighbors who've used them.   I just know it's going to mean a lot of discomfort and aggravation.  I wish I could be as optimistic about it as my husband, but I am a worrier by nature.

Anyway, people are telling me I'm handling this very well but inside I don't feel so great about it, especially during the holiday season.

Happy Holidays/Merry Christmas to everyone out there, and as Mrs. Dilber from "Scrooge" would say, "In keeping with the situation"!!  😉🎄🎅

• Hugs 17
9 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

We are with you in spirit.  I'm not alone but this is a sucky Christmas for me.  A 60+ foot pine tree fell on my house a few days ago and now there are holes in the roof and broken rafters and my front picture window was broken and a branch broke through the ceiling in front of the front door.  We are still waiting for the private adjuster and insurance adjuster to get back to us with an estimate but that's being delayed by the holiday.  Fortunately we were not hurt and miraculously no possessions were damaged other than the roof and rafters, the front window, the front wall, our ceiling and our front walk, but it's going to be a big job with a lot of aggravation I'm sure.  Thanks to some absolutely WONDERFUL neighbors they got us a tree service in an hour that took the tree off the house, cut it up and took it away.  It took 5 men several hours of constant work to get it all done.  We bought them 3 pizzas!

We had 2 rather soaking rain storms inside of a week and that is what caused trees to fall because the ground was so wet.  Over the years I'd had at least 2 tree people assure us that this tree was too far from the house and in no danger of falling anyway (and if it fell it wouldn't be toward the house).  So much for that theory.  

We'll have to stay in a hotel when they open the roof up to fix it and our furniture put in storage.  The good news is we'll get a new roof out of it (we needed one) and all new laminate flooring in the living area (which we also needed).  But one of the things we hate the most is dealing with contractors, even though we were referred to an excellent one who comes highly recommended by both my neighbors who've used them.   I just know it's going to mean a lot of discomfort and aggravation.  I wish I could be as optimistic about it as my husband, but I am a worrier by nature.

Anyway, people are telling me I'm handling this very well but inside I don't feel so great about it, especially during the holiday season.

Happy Holidays/Merry Christmas to everyone out there, and as Mrs. Dilber from "Scrooge" would say, "In keeping with the situation"!!  😉🎄🎅

Wow that’s too much! I’m so happy you are not hurt! Stuff is replaceable humans are not!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 5
12 minutes ago, oliviabenson said:

Wow that’s too much! I’m so happy you are not hurt! Stuff is replaceable humans are not!

I know, we were lucky it was in the foyer and not the bedroom near the bed.  It happened at 6:00 a.m.  My husband was down in NYC working so of course I had to handle this all by myself.  I woke up with a loud "boom"!  My neighbors were very supportive, though, I couldn't have handled it without them.  They are truly wonderful people.  I wish all of us here could get together for the holidays.  Life today is so isolating especially as I get older.  I didn't used to feel that way.  Something changed with the pandemic.  At least we have each other here, that means a lot.  Many (((hugs))).

Edited by Yeah No
  • Like 1
  • Hugs 2
  • Love 8
54 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

I'm so sorry! This happened to my parents in the middle of the night. Fortunately, it was the master bath not their bedroom but brrrr. We're with you inspirit as well, Yeah No. Things can only get better. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
57 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

This really could be inspiration for a dark comedy or stand-up comedy routine.
I mean. It was a pine tree.
Next year, when you have your new roof and floor, if you should be in a situation where you want to share this event with a tiny bit of levity, feel free to take poetic license and identify the tree as a fur or blue spruce.
🌲🎄💞

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Count me among those waiting for it all to be over. I’m grateful for all the family back home who rang today to remind us how much they’ll miss us and would love us to join them next year.  Logistically it isn’t easy to leave the house here in winter but it may be time to rethink a lot of things.  An elderly relative died a few days ago and two more are seriously ill so it’s just not festive at all.  I just watched the Festivus episode of Seinfeld again today, I really enjoy it this time of year.  

Sympathy to @Yeah No for the tree falling on your house. We’ve taken down several trees but know there are still some that could easily hit the house. We were lucky to have just a few limbs down from that storm but no trees.

• Like 4
  • Hugs 1
  • Applause 1
4 hours ago, Yeah No said:

I'm so sorry this happened but happy that no one was hurt.   I'm sure it was quite a shock when it happened though.  Thank goodness for insurance.  

I had a tree adjacent to my garage come down a few years ago due to heavy rains, but it went out across the street and not on my garage.  Fortunately no one was driving, biking, or walking along there then, which was amazing since it happened at 3:00 pm. on a Saturday afternoon when lots of people are out and about.  And many years ago when I was about 7 years old, a large tree in the backyard of my parents' house was struck by lightning in the middle of the night.  I'd never heard such a noise.  I remember my dad flying into our bedroom to make sure my sisters and I were OK.  A huge limb sort of exploded off the tree and it hit the house, but only cracked a window.

• Like 2
  • Mind Blown 3

The first winter we lived in our brand new house in Raleigh, a loblolly pine tree fell on  the house, *twice*.  Both times I was alone. The whole house shook. Scared the daylights out of me.  Hang in there, @Yeah No. You'll get through this mess. I'm so glad you're ok. Try to focus on the benefits (new roof, new flooring). But I sure know how crappy this is for you.

• Like 6

Went to Mass before and am here at my mom’s house for a few more minutes before going home to feed the cat and go to bed. Also watching A Christmas Story…I love to leave the loop on TBS or TNT and just watch where I can. 

Sometimes I wish I could spend Christmas alone or envy people who get the quiet Christmases without the family craziness, but then I’m happy to do things like be able to go to church and sing in the choir or spend time with the dogs when I come home, and it doesn’t feel as bad. My aunt’s gathering was small and quiet tonight too…only about ten of us and over by 8 pm. I guess it would feel that much sadder if I shut myself off and stayed home alone. The relief would be nice at first but I’d probably end up regretting it. 

• Like 6
  • Applause 1

Merry Christmas to all that celebrate! And. a. Happy New Year!

Quiet here, just me and the cats, but I am content. Will be facetiming with the kids and grands tomorrow and that will be fun as usual. The rest of the day/week will be quiet.

advice from snowman.jpeg

• Like 15
  • LOL 1

I've felt better the last couple of days, because dad took the whole weekend off. Now it feels weird that he has to go to work tomorrow. :)

We were looking for Die Hard, but it's only for rent at the moment.. I saw this on twitter last night:

Of course, I might be feeling better, because it's mostly over now. I should have been off social media, for the past month. Last night, I was exhausted, because I didn't sleep much the night before, but after getting up to turn off the tree lights, before falling asleep, I was hungry, and then I was awake for three more hours, so I was up late again today. 

Please ignore that I forgot to polish this table, that my computer mouse is on. I'm right next to the tree. My dad pulled this place together, in time for last night. Really cleaned it up, and got the lights up, so it's nice and bright, without being too bright. It's normally too dark in here for me. The candy dish is something I painted in 1995, after getting it from Michaels, as a kit. I can't find anything like this, anymore. I miss those kits. 

spacer.png

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
  • Love 4
5 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

That looks delicious! Are those chocolate chips on the French toast?

My husband made what my son calls a "Proper breakfast". It's about the only time he cooks all year. Omelettes, hash browns, sausages (for the guys) and toast.

Nope, they're wild blueberries.  I get them frozen at my local supermarket!

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
43 minutes ago, PRgal said:

Nope, they're wild blueberries.  I get them frozen at my local supermarket!

Oh that's way better than chocolate chips. I'm really starting to crave fresh fruits and veggies. So many heavy meat/carb based meals at this time of year, I guess.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
2 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

My little grandson's favorite food!

Mine too! Right now, the best blueberries, in my area, are from Harris Teeter.  So, here I am, on Christmas night, watching "White Christmas" starring Bing, Danny, Rosemary and Vera. I've seen it way too many times so I'm muting the in-between dramas and only watching the dance numbers.  I tried to watch a few other 1940's Xmas movies but they were a bit too incredible (& irritating). I've been disappointed with the Xmas oriented movies shown this year. It's been either doom & gloom or Hallmark. Why don't they run The Gathering (parts 1 & 2)?  There have been other thought-provoking Xmas TV movies ( from the '80's) that could be more interesting than the dreck seen now. 

• Useful 1

Well it’s my birthday. I’m so depressed right now. I’m officially old, no high paying job, no relationship, no kids, no pets, no mom. I feel like crap right now. Like this is not what I pictured my life being as a kid. 

Sorry just having a pity party oh wait it’s just me so it’s not even a party…

• Hugs 16
  • Sad 1
3 hours ago, oliviabenson said:

Well it’s my birthday. I’m so depressed right now. I’m officially old, no high paying job, no relationship, no kids, no pets, no mom. I feel like crap right now. Like this is not what I pictured my life being as a kid. 

Treat yourself to something!  Get some ice cream (even if it's cold where you are), a cupcake.  Maybe a nice dinner.  Nothing wrong with dining alone.  I did that many times before I met my husband.  I was living with my parents, but they travelled a lot at that time, so I would go out.  I thought I was "so grown up" getting to sit at the bar, sipping wine and having what I thought was a super-fancy meal.  

ETA: and HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!  

Edited by PRgal
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, oliviabenson said:

Happy Birthday, anyway! I'm sorry you are having a gloomy day.  Indulge yourself in whatever you would enjoy.Save Them All Happy Birthday GIF by Best Friends Animal Society

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

Happy Birthday! Get into you comfiest clothes, kick back and binge on your favorite movies or TV shows. Have some Champagne! *clink*

image.png.46635a562d158f1c9032bb71e82d81a4.png

• Like 8

Happy Birthday Olivia.  Age is just a number, and tomorrow is another day.  There are so many websites for singles.  My two nieces go on them.  All ages.  Maybe try to get social with one website that has people your age that want to mingle?  Why not give it a whirl?  You never know what will transpire. ❤️

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
23 minutes ago, oliviabenson said:

Update: bought myself pizza and a lemonade. And my friend invited me out for Friday. I’m sorta feeling cheered up. 

Thank you for the birthday wishes!!! 

Never underestimate the power of pizza. 

What toppings did you get?

• Like 4
  • Applause 2
9 minutes ago, oliviabenson said:

What rewards do you give your self? I usually use food and that’s not good. I need some ideas.

Food for me too, and I have had too much comfort food lately. Not good for the waistline.

Clothes and books - but that has its price (literally) too.

I also need help. 

• Hugs 5
9 hours ago, oliviabenson said:

What rewards do you give your self? I usually use food and that’s not good. I need some ideas.

I get books and I buy them more quickly than I read them, lol. But get whatever makes you happy. Maybe a trip somewhere new? 

And Happy Birthday! 🥳

Edited by JustHereForFood
  • Like 5
  • Applause 1
12 hours ago, Acmeproducts said:

Never underestimate the power of pizza. 

What toppings did you get?

Pizza is the cure-all.  😊. I’m the type who over does toppings.  Fully loaded all the way.  But my husband and I always disagree on toppings.  I like veggies.  Loads of it.  My husband is always pepperoni, mushroom, bacon, green peppers.  Sometimes he adds weird things like corn.  I’m more like zucchini, eggplant, roasted red. Goat cheese.  I will add meat sometimes (prosciutto - it’s one of the only versions of pork I eat.  That and char siu), usually arugula and burrata.   

• Like 2
  • Love 2

Trips are not in my budget. 

Are there any attractions within a day's drive that you haven't visited, or haven't visited in a while?  Sometimes just a change of scenery an hour or two away helps me. 

• Like 7
3 hours ago, oliviabenson said:

I don’t need any more clothes or books. Hmmm I need to think of something for a reward that’s not that or food.

Trips are not in my budget. 

When I was a young, broke person I used to drive around looking at houses. I'm a designer and architecture is my jam. Do you have stuff you love to learn about? Museums usually have free days and the library has tons of books on art, cooking, gardening, whatever interests you.

• Like 8
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Are there any attractions within a day's drive that you haven't visited, or haven't visited in a while?  Sometimes just a change of scenery an hour or two away helps me. 

Especially in Manhattan. If I lived closer, I'd be interested in some type of architectural tour of the beautiful buildings created back in the day (Chrysler, Empire State, Grand Central, etc).  No one builds structures like these any more (& haven't since the 30's). My mom & I stayed at the Algonquin in 1991, so we were walking all around midtown. I really stopped at several old bldgs to look at the charming details, certainly not seen in all the glass & steel skyscrapers. I'd never before noticed these details in all my years of visiting the city. We even took the Happy Apple Tour bus (even tho' mom was a city girl until she got married--it was very interesting). They let us out at St. John's Cathedral and pointed out the different stages of statue carvings (I guess the cathedral is still a work in progress). I think they said it takes 400 years to complete a cathedral (might not have the correct # of years). 

• Like 8
  • Love 2
On 12/25/2023 at 7:27 PM, Anela said:

We were looking for Die Hard, but it's only for rent at the moment.

I looked REALLY hard for a clean Die Hard streaming option and was kind of surprised there was not one. The newest one was on MAX, and I think 2 and 3 were available somewhere.  Only Die Hard option was part of my cable package with AMC.

And while I could deal with the commercials, I have no interest in the edited for TV version. For example, when McClane uses the radio to report the terrorists to the police and gets the response "This channel is for emergencies only", his awesome, flustered, response of "Do I sound like I'm ordering a fucking pizza?!!" gets hacked to remove the f-bomb.

And where's the fun in that? 

• Like 6
5 minutes ago, JTMacc99 said:

I looked REALLY hard for a clean Die Hard streaming option and was kind of surprised there was not one. The newest one was on MAX, and I think 2 and 3 were available somewhere.  Only Die Hard option was part of my cable package with AMC.

And while I could deal with the commercials, I have no interest in the edited for TV version. For example, when McClain uses the radio to report the terrorists to the police and gets the response "This channel is for emergencies only", his awesome, flustered, response of "Do I sound like I'm ordering a fucking pizza?!!" gets hacked to remove the f-bomb.

And where's the fun in that? 

Yippee ki yay you big poopie head just doesn't land the same way does it?

• Like 2
  • LOL 6