Type keyword(s) to search

Chit-Chat: What's On Your Mind Today?

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

We all have been drawn into off-topic discussions, me included. There's little that's off-topic when it comes to Chit Chat, so the only ask is that you please remember that this is the Chit Chat topic and that there's a subforum for all things health and wellness here.

If there's something you need clarification on, please keep in mind that it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; talk to them and not about what they said.
If you disagree, consider how we can express our differing opinions and still respect the other's opinion and recognize it as valid.
We're all different people, so different perspectives and points of views are natural, welcome even for growing a healthy community. What is important is that we disagree with empathy and consideration. (If need be, check out the how do we have healthy debates guidelines for more).

• Start Topic

28 minutes ago, Laura Holt said:

So my 6 yr old grandson just beat me at chess.  I am trying to decide whether to be embarrassed or proud.  He is not a gracious winner BTW, "I beat you Nana I am the best".  Charming child 😄.

Did you challenge him to a rematch?

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 1
On 9/29/2023 at 1:21 PM, PRgal said:

There are a lot of onlies on this board!  Any onlies who are one and done parents?

Me. Partly because I could not get pregnant (severe endometriosis - had exploratory surgery after trying for five years, was told I was most likely not going to be able to get pregnancy without IVF, which was not anything I wanted to do, so gave up, looked into adoption, moved to the mountains to ski most of the time and got pregnant! at age 36...so that was it) and partly because I really loved being an only and it turns out, so did my son.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

Did you challenge him to a rematch?

He got to retired undefeated as he had to leave for a hockey game - a true renaissance man 😀!  I will get my revenge next week when he comes over for Thanksgiving.  

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 6
2 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

I just saw a photo of cars almost completely submerged on the Saw Mill River Parkway. That too was a shock to see. My cousins lived in Hastings and we used to play alongside the Saw Mill "River" (I thought it was weird to be calling it a river when we had a creek in our town that was 10 time its size). I used to commute on the SM when I worked at Union Carbide in Tarrytown. Those parkways in Westchester are so pretty, especially when it's 🎶Autumn in New York🎶 🧡

I'm familiar with that area too.  My cousins lived in Hastings for many years, then moved nearby to Yonkers.  So I drive up the Saw Mill from the Upper West Side. 

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Laura Holt said:

So my 6 yr old grandson just beat me at chess.  I am trying to decide whether to be embarrassed or proud.  He is not a gracious winner BTW, "I beat you Nana I am the best".  Charming child 😄.

Hmmm...add this nugget to your "grandson's wedding reception's Nana's toast" file 😁. That is so funny!

• Like 2
  • LOL 3
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, isalicat said:

Me. Partly because I could not get pregnant (severe endometriosis - had exploratory surgery after trying for five years, was told I was most likely not going to be able to get pregnancy without IVF, which was not anything I wanted to do, so gave up, looked into adoption, moved to the mountains to ski most of the time and got pregnant! at age 36...so that was it) and partly because I really loved being an only and it turns out, so did my son.

Same here, for the both of us.  People sometimes worry about their kids being onlies and being lonely.  My son has tons of friends at school (I'm more of a loner, but fine with that)!  Most of the kids are coming to his birthday!

• Applause 4
  • Love 2
9 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

What's going on in NYC with such excessive flooding? I think the first I ever heard of this was after Hurricane Sandy (watching videos of water gushing down the stairs to the subway was horrifying). Is this due to melting glaciers adding more water to the ocean? I recall reading about city officials consulting the Dutch about their surge protectors (from North Sea flooding). Is it too late for doing anything now? It will be OTT expensive but the alternative isn't looking so good now.

Climate change. Storms will continue to get worse and impact locations that rarely saw that type of weather. It's not too late, yet, but, without global cooperation things won't get better. More and more cat 5 hurricanes creeping further and further north. More and more cat 5 tornadoes. More and more fire and drought. All we can really do at this point is start obsessively watching The Day After Tomorrow and prepare for the worst.

• Like 7
  • Sad 2
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
On 9/30/2023 at 11:41 AM, EtheltoTillie said:

The flooding in NY seems to be over for now.  I had to put up a friend last night.  She couldn't make it home to Westchester.  The commuter lines were shut down.  Most of the subways were shut down. 

That was nice of you!

• Like 3
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, oliviabenson said:

Basement apartments are a bad idea. I worry about the people who live in them. And they are not cheap either.

I saw a movie once about a couple of sisters who lived in a basement apartment in NYC. People were always walking into it. And they had to listen to the drunks fighting at night.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
21 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I saw a movie once about a couple of sisters who lived in a basement apartment in NYC. People were always walking into it. And they had to listen to the drunks fighting at night.

My Sister Eileen

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I tend to be a nostalgic person in general.  It's like somewhere somehow I hold out that things can be what they were like 10-15 years ago.

But I took ride out to a park and a hot dog place on the way to a place I used to work.  Was pretty bittersweet.  Hot dogs were real good and the park was nice.  But then I actually texted my old boss how he was.  he told me he was good.

Anyway the whole day felt bittersweet in that that text to him and his response kind of closed that part of my life for good it seemed.  

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, BlueSkies said:

…closed that part of my life for good it seemed.  

A similar closure:

In the 1970s in central Illinois, there was a building where university art students and artists could rent studios for $20/month. There was a shared toilet down the hall, and a room to clean paints with a sink. So sometimes I would stay there for a few months when I was between other living situations. I did some oil paintings there,and experienced several unrequited loves there.

For 20 years, while living in California, I occasionally had dreams of that place back in Illinois — but it was always empty in the dream.

Then, while I was employed as a college librarian in Illinois, I needed to attend a meeting 3 hours away, just a mile from the building that still occasionally haunted my dreams. On my way home, I drove past the spot. It was an empty lot.

I never dreamed about that place again. 
It was mostly a relief.

————

*A daughter has the one painting from that time that followed me around:
86FCB5A9-E534-4B03-AF58-82B379853640.thumb.jpeg.075678c4bf50a5b5a4f653727c85da9f.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Applause 1
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

A similar closure:

In the 1970s in central Illinois, there was a building where university art students and artists could rent studios for $20/month. There was a shared toilet down the hall, and a room to clean paints with a sink. So sometimes I would stay there for a few months when I was between other living situations. I did some oil paintings there,and experienced several unrequited loves there.

For 20 years, while living in California, I occasionally had dreams of that place back in Illinois — but it was always empty in the dream.

Then, while I was employed as a college librarian in Illinois, I needed to attend a meeting 3 hours away, just a mile from the building that still occasionally haunted my dreams. On my way home, I drove past the spot. It was an empty lot.

It was mostly a relief.

————

86FCB5A9-E534-4B03-AF58-82B379853640.thumb.jpeg.075678c4bf50a5b5a4f653727c85da9f.jpeg

Thanks for sharing

In my case yesterday I was only remembering the things I liked about my former life.  In retrospect it’s much easier to do that when there were things I didn’t like about that time period in my life as well 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

My husband is retiring soon and the company gives a gift to acknowledge "your years of valuable service".  Anyway he just sent me the link to the gifts he can choose from.  It's an eclectic selection that's for sure but one old stalwart was listed in one of the categories - a super nice  engraved "luxury" pen and pencil set.  Would anyone choose something like this anymore?  

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 2
  • LOL 4
1 hour ago, Laura Holt said:

My husband is retiring soon and the company gives a gift to acknowledge "your years of valuable service".  Anyway he just sent me the link to the gifts he can choose from.  It's an eclectic selection that's for sure but one old stalwart was listed in one of the categories - a super nice  engraved "luxury" pen and pencil set.  Would anyone choose something like this anymore?  

I wouldn't, what else do they have?

• Like 3
5 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I wouldn't, what else do they have?

Different kinds of watches, jewelry (rings, earrings, pendants), kitchen stuff ( like an air fryer, coffeemaker, toaster oven), camping gear, clocks.  Depends on the years of service - the longer, the nicer of course.  Really odd selection though but I guess they are covering a lot of bases.

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, Laura Holt said:

Different kinds of watches, jewelry (rings, earrings, pendants), kitchen stuff ( like an air fryer, coffeemaker, toaster oven), camping gear, clocks.  Depends on the years of service - the longer, the nicer of course.  Really odd selection though but I guess they are covering a lot of bases.

Hah. This reminds me of an award ceremony I attended in the 1990s. I was the lowest tier of employee, having worked for 5 years or less, and got a pencil. It wasn’t even a mechanical pencil.

Okay. This is the point where all y’all can feel free to tell me to stop chiming in with the stories. I have an aunt who would be miming playing a violin 🎻 right now.🤣

ETA:
But back to your list of choices, @Laura Holt, if you don’t already have an air fryer, this would be a chance to try one. I’ve been eyeing them on the antenna TV commercials.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • LOL 6
42 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Hah. This reminds me of an award ceremony I attended in the 1990s. I was the lowest tier of employee, having worked for 5 years or less, and got a pencil. It wasn’t even a mechanical pencil.

Oh my god this reminds me of the  company I worked for when I first started out -  they would host big Christmas parties for all the employees and have door prizes.  One year I won a little pink metal case with post it notes inside that you could keep in your purse for all those post it related emergencies that can arise.  It was hard to be grateful...

Edited by Laura Holt
  • LOL 8
  • Love 1
13 minutes ago, Laura Holt said:

Ooh, an air fryer. I've always wanted one of those.

• Like 3
  • Fire 1

A PSA, since this is widely, but not universally, known: If your oven has a convection option, you already have an air fryer.  (A separate air fryer's smaller size just means it heats up and cooks faster than a conventional-sized convection oven.)

Those choose your gift catalogs are always weird, in my experience -- they get updated with additional items as new things become available and popular, but no one ever seems to remove the outdated stuff virtually no one would choose anymore.  I guess there's something kind of refreshing about that, though.

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 4

Back in the late 1900's, the company I worked for offered gifts for "milestone" years, and you could select your own up to a certain dollar amount, but they had to fit a particular theme.  Like 10 years was a "timepiece".  Since I had no desire for a watch more expensive than a Timex, I got a mantle clock.  It worked for a few years but now it's just a dust gatherer.  But for 15, you could get something related to a favorite hobby.  I managed to convince them that cooking was my hobby, so I got a new stove that's working to this day.  Couldn't convince them that dishwashing was also my hobby, so I had to replace the DW on my own dime.

• Like 2
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 7
2 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Okay. This is the point where all y’all can feel free to tell me to stop chiming in with the stories. I have an aunt who would be miming playing a violin 🎻 right now.🤣

ETA:
But back to your list of choices, @Laura Holt, if you don’t already have an air fryer, this would be a chance to try one. I’ve been eyeing them on the antenna TV commercials.

I love my air fryer! It’s awesome! Get one 🤣🤣🤣

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
2 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Hah indeed. Reminds me of taking my kids to the pediatrician. For a regular visit, they got a sticker, but for shot(s) they got a pencil!  So I hope you at least got a flu shot!

• Like 1
  • Wink 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 1

I had a job where for 10 years I got one crystal candlestick holder for a taper candle.  It's beautiful, but I always think of a set of two and put on a dining room table.  If it had been for a pillar candle I could use it.  Instead, it's in a box in the closet.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 4
17 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

A similar closure:

It was mostly a relief.

————

Amazing!

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, Laura Holt said:

Ah yes, the Pick-A-Gift books. DH would get these from vendors, back when low-key graft was a thing, lol. They were available in varied $ amounts, though the recipient isn't aware of which $level they are selecting from.

• Fire 1
2 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Air fryers are big. I sent mine back as I didn't have room on the counter that holds my gridler, spice holder and our two coffee makers (my single serve & his Mr Coffee 😁).

Depends which size you got. The 2 quart ones are pretty small and don’t take much space.

My air fryer is on top of my microwave 🤣🤣🤣

Edited by oliviabenson
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Useful 2

I can only give feedback on Pampered Chef and InstaPot air fryers.

The PC one is very over priced unless you get it while having a big points party. It is flexible in the heating options. My daughter-in-law has one. 
My other daughter-in-law has InstaPot. It is also flexible on heating options. Both of these are the door with racks type.

Oldest son got me a basket type InstaPot fryer and is also flexible in heating options. I use it everyday for something. It is fantastic for reheating french fries when they get cold on way home. Pop them in for a min and it’s like you just got them from the cashier. Also fantastic for reheating a slice of pizza. Results as if just getting it plopped down at the restaurant. Two minutes on the reheat setting 360 degrees. 
I buy the foil sheets from Costco and use them for easy cleanup. If I don’t use them I just run hot water and soap in it, swish away and put basket back in. All of these above have been in use for several plus years. I will also note that I have seen several Ninja and other brands of these fryers returned at many different stores. 

Two other feedbacks: That son also got me an InstaPot pressure cooker a few years ago, small size, and I have used it maybe five times. I need to take time to really learn how to use it. His wife uses the one she has a lot. Other feedback is unless you just want an air fryer, an Oster large convection countertop oven is fantastic! I had one for 15 plus years and I mourned it greatly when it got wonky and I had to give it up. The newer ones are shaped different and I never got around to getting another one. 

Edited by stewedsquash
About 20 ands instead of an
  • Thanks 2
  • Useful 3
16 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

I'm rethinking this air fryer. I love tempura and fried chicken. Can I get crispyness in an air fryer?

Yes, it's just never going to match the crispiness of deep frying.  Because it's not actual frying; it's simply a mini convection oven, so it's baked, just in a different way than a conventional oven -- the addition of a fan circulating the hot air means convection cooks faster and makes food crispier than a traditional oven.  It will taste largely the same as fried (not entirely, because you're missing the flavor the oil imparts), but it won't have the same texture. 

Since the food is not cooked in so much (or even no) oil, air "frying" is healthier because of the reduced fat content; if the taste is good enough that the texture trade-off is worth it, it's a great option.  That will be more true of some foods than others.  "Fried" chicken in an air fryer/convection, I wouldn't care about the difference.  Tempura, though, I'd probably stick with the real thing.

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 4
  • Useful 3
14 hours ago, oliviabenson said:

Depends which size you got. The 2 quart ones are pretty small and don’t take much space.

My air fryer is on top of my microwave 🤣🤣🤣

In other words you don’t have to use oil or water on the bottom for baking.  You put whatever in dry  and the air cooks it.  Right?   I don’t have anymore room for that.  My new grill cheese maker was used once.  Too dry.  I rather fry in butter.  I need a new kitchen with a big island and lots of cabinets.  A big pantry too.  I had all this in Florida for 18 months, but moved back to N.Y.  Can’t have everything.

Edited by kristen111
  • Like 3

I lost a jar of mayonnaise.

Like, I looked in the refrigerator for it yesterday to make a tomato sandwich, and I as far as I can tell, it's not in there.  

I moved a LOT of stuff around looking for it. Found a jar of vegan mayo in the back (tossed that in the trash), but no sign of the Hellman's. I am certain that I did not use it up and forgot, because I 100% would have brought out a new jar from the pantry. I'm also 100% certain that neither of my children would have used it or tossed it.

Where the F did it go?

• Like 2
  • LOL 6
1 minute ago, JTMacc99 said:

Like, I looked in the refrigerator for it yesterday to make a tomato sandwich, and I as far as I can tell, it's not in there.  

I moved a LOT of stuff around looking for it. Found a jar of vegan mayo in the back (tossed that in the trash), but no sign of the Hellman's. I am certain that I did not use it up and forgot, because I 100% would have brought out a new jar from the pantry. I'm also 100% certain that neither of my children would have used it or tossed it.

Where the F did it go?

Either in the pantry or a cabinet.  I’ve done that.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1
22 minutes ago, JTMacc99 said:

Where the F did it go?

Dog ate it?

Since you live with other people it most likely got misplaced/thrown out.

Did you check the freezer?

• Like 3
33 minutes ago, JTMacc99 said:

Where the F did it go?

It's cuddled up with that missing sock, so it's up to you, JT, to find them.

• Like 2
  • Wink 1
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 9