Type keyword(s) to search

Chit-Chat: What's On Your Mind Today?

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

We all have been drawn into off-topic discussions, me included. There's little that's off-topic when it comes to Chit Chat, so the only ask is that you please remember that this is the Chit Chat topic and that there's a subforum for all things health and wellness here.

If there's something you need clarification on, please keep in mind that it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; talk to them and not about what they said.
If you disagree, consider how we can express our differing opinions and still respect the other's opinion and recognize it as valid.
We're all different people, so different perspectives and points of views are natural, welcome even for growing a healthy community. What is important is that we disagree with empathy and consideration. (If need be, check out the how do we have healthy debates guidelines for more).

• Start Topic

(edited)
1 hour ago, Bastet said:

The Godfather Movie GIF

I read the book, "Leave the Gun. Take the Cannoli" (about the making of the Godfather I). It's a great read 😁           @Calvada so glad you're ok!!

Edited by annzeepark914
  • Like 7
8 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I now love sour cream in anything, but still nope! to the canned cherries.

My husband's aunt makes the most delicious cheesecake, but insists on putting that awful canned cherry filling on top. Worse than the cherries is that gelatinous goopy stuff. Blech!  I just scoop it off and eat the cheesecake.

I've never baked a cheesecake, but make a cheesecake pie with graham cracker crust. It's made with both sour cream and cream cheese. I top it with fresh strawberries.

• Like 11
  • Applause 1
10 minutes ago, ECM1231 said:

I've never baked a cheesecake, but make a cheesecake pie with graham cracker crust. It's made with both sour cream and cream cheese. I top it with fresh strawberries.

So what time should we all arrive to try this yumminess? 

• LOL 13

@shapeshifter I didn't like sour cream, until I tried tacos for the first time, in California. I also don't like mayonnaise, but I like it combined with the sour cream, in spinach dip. Which I should make this weekend... maybe half the amount, since dad won't eat it. 

I only like one potato salad, too. I've tried making my own, and I'm not keen on it. I only like mustard on a hot dog, with ketchup, or a tiny amount in devilled eggs, which I will also make this weekend... 

• Like 5
  • Mind Blown 1
4 hours ago, oliviabenson said:

I saw a canoli cake in shop rite $9. Didn’t buy it. Maybe next month idk. I love sweets and can inhale a lot of dessert! 

I rather have dessert than a meal.

You must be my sister from another mister .

Shoprite makes pretty good cakes. A cannoli cake in the local bakery, however, would cost way more than $9.

For my grandson's birthday I got a 1/2 sheet cake from Stop N Shop. The sheet cakes from Costco and BJs don't use real whipped cream and that's what I prefer. Half of the cake had cannoli filling and the other half had strawberry filling. Delicious!

• Like 6
  • Fire 1
25 minutes ago, ECM1231 said:

My husband's aunt makes the most delicious cheesecake, but insists on putting that awful canned cherry filling on top. Worse than the cherries is that gelatinous goopy stuff. Blech!  I just scoop it off and eat the cheesecake.

I’ll be right over! 

• Like 6
  • Love 2
4 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

I’ll be right over!

Haha. Wouldn't that be fun to meet our Primetimer friends!?

I kinda get comments like the above because I often post photos of meals that I have prepared, or my desserts on Facebook. Drives my husband crazy because he doesn't understand social media at all, and wants no part of it. 

I'm an above average cook and baker, but nothing fancy or gourmet. I'm Italian American as is my husband, and he likes to eat. After 41 years of marriage, I'm tired of cooking and would be happy with cereal for dinner. I've been a SAHM/W  for most of those years, so I cook and hubby still works p/t and takes care of outside maintenance and repairs. Today he washed and detailed our cars when he could have been relaxing. 

• Like 6
  • Applause 1
  • Love 2
16 minutes ago, Anela said:

I didn't like sour cream, until I tried tacos for the first time, in California. I also don't like mayonnaise, but I like it combined with the sour cream, in spinach dip.

I don't like sour cream, and won't eat it on its own, but I can often handle it if enough is mixed in to/with it.  Unless there's a reason I can't, though, I replace half of it with mayo, which I love, to make it even better.

1 minute ago, ECM1231 said:

After 41 years of marriage, I'm tired of cooking

My mom is a great cook and my dad is ... not ... so she has always done the overwhelming majority of the cooking.  At 80 and with chronic pain, she's pretty damn sick of it, so they're eating out/ordering in more, he's learning more dishes he can make, and every week (for the most part), I bring them something they can reheat on a night when they're just not feeling it.

They also finally hired someone to clean and someone to maintain the yard.  They still handle repairs and projects themselves, but, other than cooking, they have largely outsourced the routine stuff.  I think I'll be much younger than 80 when I throw in the towel and do the same.

• Like 10
11 minutes ago, Bastet said:

My mom is a great cook and my dad is ... not ... so she has always done the overwhelming majority of the cooking.  At 80 and with chronic pain, she's pretty damn sick of it, so they're eating out/ordering in more, he's learning more dishes he can make, and every week (for the most part), I bring them something they can reheat on a night when they're just not feeling it.

There are free or nearly free meal delivery services for people on Medicare who are no longer able to get groceries, cook, etc. My 90-year-old condo neighbor is still in his home because of this. 

18 minutes ago, Bastet said:

They also finally hired someone to clean and someone to maintain the yard. 

Excellent! 

• Like 5

That's great that your dad has been willing to step up and learn to prepare some new dishes, @Bastet.I'm sorry that your mom is in chronic pain.

In my husband's defense, I will say that he makes fantastic eggs, and the days he's home and not working he handles breakfast. He's on his own for lunch.

My husband has never been the type to order in, except for Fridays when I don't make dinner. It's usually pizza. Even then, he drives to the pizzeria to pick up. He just likes my home cooking better; I guess I spoiled him. Even in college I was cooking. My last semester I rented a house with 2 other students I didn't know as I was student teaching and not on campus. They'd come home to find me eating baked chicken, or beef and peppers over rice. Meanwhile our freezer was filled with lots of frozen pizzas and microwaveable foods. They looked at me like I was an alien 👾. I have been cooking since I was a teenager,so I never relied on fast food or takeout and although my husband doesn't cook, his family members did. 

At 72 he shows no signs of slowing down. He still does lawn maintenance,car repairs ( he's an auto mechanic by trade), and is always outside sweeping or tinkering in our garage. He's frugal by nature, but we can well afford to have lawn service. Nor do we need him to continue working, but he enjoys what he does. I hope that when it finally does get to be too much, he'll change his mind and pay for things to be done around here. 

• Like 8
(edited)
41 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

There are free or nearly free meal delivery services for people on Medicare who are no longer able to get groceries, cook, etc.

They are able, they just don't want to do it every day anymore.  😄

40 minutes ago, ECM1231 said:

In my husband's defense, I will say that he makes fantastic eggs, and the days he's home and not working he handles breakfast. He's on his own for lunch.

Oh, so's my dad -- she wasn't making three meals a day at any age, let alone 80. 

40 minutes ago, ECM1231 said:

He just likes my home cooking better; I guess I spoiled him.

That's how my grandpa was about my grandma's cooking, without ever considering how unfair it was to not give her a break.  While that's how my dad is about my mom's cooking, he was at least cognizant it's A LOT of work and always made sure they went out regularly and pitched in with the few dishes he is good at.  They've just shifted things a bit to incorporate a little more restaurant food (whether dining in or ordering in), and I'm supplementing some home cooking.

Despite ultimately having plenty of money to outsource, they did everything themselves for so long, just based on how they were raised and having the security of knowing it's done exactly as they want.  Thankfully, when their age started having physical and mental effects, they gave themselves some relief.

I'm glad I learned how to do most things myself, and I still do most of it, I'm just, as I said, likely to decide I've had enough at an earlier age.  Especially because it's just me.  By choice, and to my great relief and happiness; I want no part of marriage.  But it's a lot taking care of a house, yard, car, and pets alone, especially while working full time.

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 8
6 hours ago, Mondrianyone said:

I had a boyfriend in college who was of Italian descent. His mother and her sisters were all great cooks. We would go to dinner at her house on Sundays and eat till we exploded. Dessert was often homemade cannoli, with the shells formed on lengths of oiled broomstick. They were magnificent. He became an actor and at some point wrote at least one Italian cookbook. I should've married him.

Given that my Sicilian grandma was a phenomenal cook you'd think she would have made cannolis since they are native to Sicily, but she never made them.  She preferred to make very American desserts like pecan pie and lemon meringue pie, both of which were fantastic.  She did make a mean cassata, which is a Sicilian cake made with ricotta so it is kind of a cheesecake.  Wow, do I miss her food!

One of the reasons she never made cannolis is because we lived not far from the Arthur Avenue neighborhood in the Bronx where we could get the best cannolis and other pastries any time.

• Like 4
  • Love 3
9 hours ago, Bastet said:

I don't like cheesecake because I don't like cream cheese.  I've seen some recipes made with ricotta, which I like (so I like cannoli, which I've sometimes seen made with mascarpone instead, which I also like), but I've never had one.  I'm not much of a dessert person; I much prefer an appetizer if I'm going to extend my meal.

I have never had Chef Boyardee anything, but I saw the episode of The Food That Built America about him, which is when I learned there had been an actual chef beyond those cans.

I know of two kinds of cannoli filling, one with the mascarpone and one with the ricotta filling.  In NYC and CT you see mostly the mascarpone filling.  Up in Boston there's Mike's that makes them with the ricotta filling and they are AMAZING.  In fact they make the most different varieties of cannolis I've ever seen in my life!  I love all Italian pastries but I rarely have them anymore.  

BTW, you just reminded me of where I learned about Chef Boyardee.  I know I saw it on that series.  I knew a little bit about him before that but that show went into more detail.

• Like 4
18 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I seconded the "Sacrilege!!!!" about not caring for cheesecake, but then I recalled when I was a kid I wouldn't eat cheesecake because it always had those bright red-colored, canned cherries in syrup on top.
Left more for everyone else!

I also got a can of Chef Boyardee ravioli when it was beef Stroganoff night because I didn't like sour cream in my meat.
I don't know if Mom just didn't know that? It seems like it would've been easier to just dish mine out before she added the sour cream. 

I now love sour cream in anything, but still nope! to the canned cherries.

Geez I have a thing for those canned cherries. Call me crazy. But I can’t stand Chef Boyardee canned pastas. Too mushy. 

• Like 2
Just now, EtheltoTillie said:

Geez I have a thing for those canned cherries. Call me crazy. But I can’t stand Chef Boyardee canned pastas. Too mushy. 

So if we're still alive when Doomsday arrives, we have a date to meet somewhere within an hour of Rochester NY (I can't drive further anymore) to swap your Chef Boyardee for my canned cherries.
BYOCO (bring your own can opener) in case I forget mine.

• Like 2
  • LOL 9
5 hours ago, Yeah No said:

Given that my Sicilian grandma was a phenomenal cook you'd think she would have made cannolis since they are native to Sicily, but she never made them.  She preferred to make very American desserts like pecan pie and lemon meringue pie, both of which were fantastic.  She did make a mean cassata, which is a Sicilian cake made with ricotta so it is kind of a cheesecake.  Wow, do I miss her food!

One of the reasons she never made cannolis is because we lived not far from the Arthur Avenue neighborhood in the Bronx where we could get the best cannolis and other pastries any time.

Yes, my Italian relatives never made desserts.  They could be so easily purchased--also on Arthur Avenue.  I love sfoggliatelle, but nobody makes those at home.  On a trip to Southern Italy (Rome and Amalfi Coast) we feasted on sfoggliatelle every day.   You could get them on any corner.  Not so in Manhattan, where I live now.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

On my first trip to Italy, we had a routine of stopping for gelato every afternoon.  One day, when it was time to start scouting out our gelato options, we spotted a hole in the wall bakery that was serving fresh cannoli, made to order.   Meaning a little old man scooped the flavoured ricotta into the shell as you watched, then topped with tiny chocolate chips.   Yes, please. 

Moral of the story, don't ever settle for pre-filled, soggy cannoli.  

• Like 6
  • Fire 2
  • Love 4
(edited)
4 hours ago, PRgal said:

Speaking of cannoli, is there a trick to NOT make a mess when you eat it?  

No. Ex. A See Christine Cagney.

ETA: Oops. I misread your comment; I thought I saw "making" but you asked about eating. Still, it's a hilarious scene.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Like 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, EtheltoTillie said:

Yes, my Italian relatives never made desserts.  They could be so easily purchased--also on Arthur Avenue.  I love sfoggliatelle, but nobody makes those at home.  On a trip to Southern Italy (Rome and Amalfi Coast) we feasted on sfoggliatelle every day.   You could get them on any corner.  Not so in Manhattan, where I live now.

Sfogliatelle is my absolute favorite!!  It was my grandma's too.  I remember the way she used to pronounce it.  I have to go either to Hartford or Southington to get them now at a shop called Mozzicato's that's legendary around here and does come close to my standards.  In Manhattan the only places we used to get them were Ferarra's on Grand and Rocco's on Bleecker Street.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, ECM1231 said:

I'm an above average cook and baker, but nothing fancy or gourmet

Me too.  My husband was a chef and even he liked my cooking better than his.   But I made/make comfort food. The kind you don't easily find in restaurants.  Meatloaf with the ketchup on top.  Cabbage rolls. Beanie Weenies (baked beans with cut up hot dogs). Sloppy joes.  Homemade food is always going to taste better. At least my homemade food is.  LOL.

One thing I do not make at home is cheeseburgers.  I'm always looking for a good restaurant cheeseburger and I'm usually disappointed.  The best one I ever had was at Bubba Gump Shrimp Factory.  I don't know why it was so good but it was excellent.  Five Guys is pretty good too but I never want fries so a burger is not going to be enough to fill me up.

• Like 4
11 hours ago, ECM1231 said:

That's great that your dad has been willing to step up and learn to prepare some new dishes, @Bastet.I'm sorry that your mom is in chronic pain.

My husband has never been the type to order in, except for Fridays when I don't make dinner. It's usually pizza. Even then, he drives to the pizzeria to pick up. He just likes my home cooking better; I guess I spoiled him. Even in college I was cooking. My last semester I rented a house with 2 other students I didn't know as I was student teaching and not on campus. They'd come home to find me eating baked chicken, or beef and peppers over rice. Meanwhile our freezer was filled with lots of frozen pizzas and microwaveable foods. They looked at me like I was an alien 👾. I have been cooking since I was a teenager,so I never relied on fast food or takeout and although my husband doesn't cook, his family members did. 

At 72 he shows no signs of slowing down. He still does lawn maintenance,car repairs ( he's an auto mechanic by trade), and is always outside sweeping or tinkering in our garage. He's frugal by nature, but we can well afford to have lawn service. Nor do we need him to continue working, but he enjoys what he does. I hope that when it finally does get to be too much, he'll change his mind and pay for things to be done around here. 

Your life sounds exactly like mine with the husband and cooking.  Except, we are a bit older than you and have slowed down.  We still have the same values, plus we come from the same area almost.  I’ve done lots of entertaining and cooking for parties, but no more.  There comes a time when you both sort of step down and relax.  Now we leave the entertaining to our kids.  Thank goodness my kids follow our same pattern when it comes to family.

• Like 6
8 hours ago, Yeah No said:

from the Arthur Avenue neighborhood in the Bronx where we could get the best cannolis and other pastries any time.

Our favorite Italian store where we live gets their bread from Arthur Avenue, Bronx.  We buy it three times a week.  Expensive, but the best.  Great on an eggplant Parmesan or chicken Parm sandwich,, which I make.

• Like 5
2 hours ago, kristen111 said:

Yikes !!!! Big thunder storms going thru Long Island this morning.  Hope the electricity doesnt go out.

I hope it didn't!  It wasn't as bad here as it probably was near you.  I think the whole system pulled out now, thankfully.

• Like 2
On 5/22/2024 at 10:21 AM, PRgal said:

Your grandmother's fascination with "fake Italian" sounds like my interest with North American Chinese food.  Growing up, I always wondered about chicken balls and what non-immigrant Chinese called "egg rolls."  To me, egg rolls were cookies that resembled super-skinny cannoli shells that my family got at the Chinese grocery store.  They came in tins.  And what non-Chinese North Americans called "egg rolls" were super-battered spring rolls that had more sprout filling.  I had only SEEN those and chicken balls until I was a teenager.  Chinese restaurants in Toronto, the ones we went to and still go to, anyway, don't have those items.  When we went out, which was at least twice a month for dinner, and near weekly for dim sum lunches, we ordered things like choy sum and beef (default is gai lan (Chinese broccoli) but I didn't like gai lan when I was little), roast chicken and steamed fish.  

I wanted to thank you for posting this - It reminded me that when I was in college one of my friends and suitemates who was half Chinese would take me to the little unknown hole-in-the-wall places in NYC's Chinatown where the menu was all in Chinese and only Chinese people ate there.  I had food I would never have known about from eating in the average American-aimed Chinese restaurants, of which there were a lot even in Chinatown.  Although even at those there was always this "secret menu" that only the Chinese customers knew about.  I remember seeing them eat these fantastic looking dishes that I KNEW weren't on the regular menu and wanting to say, "I'll have what they're having!", but I never did.

Even up here there's a place that opened a few years back in Hartford right next to that Asian market I mentioned previously that caters to a Chinese clientele and has a menu only in Chinese.  Well, someone translated the menu and posted it online so I got my husband to go there with me.  It was quite an education.  Some of the food was phenomenal while I think some of the flavors and textures are things you would need to grow up with to fully appreciate.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1

Until recently, many restaurants here still had Chinese-only menus.  But so many of us second generation/first gen Canadian-born kids can't read Chinese or read it well enough to order foods we grew up with that they started using bilingual menus throughout.  And also because non-Chinese were becoming more diverse in terms of cuisines they ate.  Most Chinese restaurants like this were definitely far from hole-in-the-wall type places around here.  I don't actually know about those and whether THEY have bilingual menus.  Websites are another story.  Some places have zero online presence.  

• Useful 6
4 hours ago, bluegirl147 said:

But I made/make comfort food. The kind you don't easily find in restaurants.

I love home made comfort food. I like my meatloaf a certain way, my chicken a certain way,  cabbage rolls, runzas, stuffed peppers.

• Like 8
  • Love 2
9 hours ago, PRgal said:

Speaking of cannoli, is there a trick to NOT make a mess when you eat it?  

I'm sort of confused because I've never thought eating a cannolo was messy. 🤷‍♀️

7 hours ago, EtheltoTillie said:

I'm really surprised that sfogliatelle is not readily available in Manhattan. It's in practically every bakery on Long Island, at least in Nassau County, and I know of quite a few bakeries out in Suffolk, too, that make them. I'm not sure about the East End, though. They even have sfogliatelle in the supermarkets. 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, ECM1231 said:

I'm sort of confused because I've never thought eating a cannolo was messy. 🤷‍♀️

I'm really surprised that sfogliatelle is not readily available in Manhattan. It's in practically every bakery on Long Island, at least in Nassau County, and I know of quite a few bakeries out in Suffolk, too, that make them. I'm not sure about the East End, though. They even have sfogliatelle in the supermarkets. 

The filling often comes out and you get it all over your hands!

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
50 minutes ago, ECM1231 said:

There are two Italian markets near my house in Suffolk County that sell sfogliatelle.  And yes, there are others all over the Island.  But in Manhattan I have to go to the West Village or Little Italy.  It's actually a trudge. 

On Long Island, I'm in a car.  So the distance is the same but the time and effort are different! 

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
56 minutes ago, EtheltoTillie said:

@Yeah No We pronounce it Sfooyadell.

Is that related to gabba gool? 

Man, I'm really craving some pastry right now. I've been off carbs all week,so all this talk about pastry is making me crave it even more.

• Hugs 4
  • LOL 5
(edited)
1 hour ago, Anela said:

I don't really like squash, but whenever we get a snow storm, I get the urge to buy a butternut squash, and make a soup I made for mum. It has something like sriracha added to it, which makes it taste better to me. 

https://coffeeinthewoodshed.com/2011/10/10/slow-cooker-winter-squash-soup-with-curry-and-coconut-milk/

This sounds good!  I've also made "Thai" chicken soup by using leftover Jewish chicken soup and adding some butternut squash, cilantro and chili sauce essentially.  And coconut milk. 

Edited by EtheltoTillie
  • Like 4
  • Fire 1
  • Love 1
26 minutes ago, EtheltoTillie said:

This sounds good!  I've also made "Thai" chicken soup by using leftover Jewish chicken soup and adding some butternut squash, cilantro and chili sauce essentially.  And coconut milk. 

Speaking of Jewish chicken soup, I didn't know that the dumplings Southern style chicken and dumplings was more like a matzah ball than Chinese dumplings until I was an adult.  My husband only realized that maybe last year when I told him.  We Canadians do not have much exposure to Southern cuisine.

• Like 5
  • Useful 1
(edited)
2 hours ago, ECM1231 said:

Man, I'm really craving some pastry right now. I've been off carbs all week,so all this talk about pastry is making me crave it even more.

Edited by oliviabenson
  • Like 1
57 minutes ago, oliviabenson said:

I got my new glasses and I look hideous. Truly hideous!

Obviously your prescription is wrong, because you are not hideous in any way.

• Like 8
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1
12 hours ago, PRgal said:

Until recently, many restaurants here still had Chinese-only menus.  But so many of us second generation/first gen Canadian-born kids can't read Chinese or read it well enough to order foods we grew up with that they started using bilingual menus throughout.  And also because non-Chinese were becoming more diverse in terms of cuisines they ate.  Most Chinese restaurants like this were definitely far from hole-in-the-wall type places around here.  I don't actually know about those and whether THEY have bilingual menus.  Websites are another story.  Some places have zero online presence.  

I watched Tony Bourdain's shows and learned a little about Asian food from him, although admittedly it still only scratched the surface.  One thing I learned from him is that like any cuisine, modern Asian food is always evolving.  I notice that both Asian and Western food cultures are being influenced by each other and adopting some of each other's ingredients and techniques in their own cuisines more now than ever.

NYC has every kind of Asian restaurant imaginable from hole-in-the-wall to huge dumpling/dim sum palaces that seat huge crowds.  I've been to those too but not since the pandemic, sadly.

• Like 2
(edited)
12 hours ago, ECM1231 said:

Long Island seems to have held on to its traditional ethnic food culture more than other places, I've noticed.  And I'm jealous of that.  I have heard they still have old fashioned German bakeries/delis out there that have all but disappeared from Manhattan except for Yorkville and even there they're down to one or two places.  Even Jewish deli is getting scarcer in Manhattan although there are still a few iconic historical places left.  And it's the same for Italian food.  There used to be more of the old fashioned bakeries and delis in NY and here in CT.  Now they are only in very specific neighborhoods like Arthur Ave. in the Bronx and Bleecker St. in Manhattan and even there they've shrunk to fewer places. 

I'm lucky that I'm 20 minutes by car from really good cannoli, sfogliatelle and Babas, but there are only a couple of authentic bakeries left in the Hartford area.  I have seen sfogliatelle at Shop Rite as well as cannoli, and those frozen cannoli kits.  I think some of them are imported from the pastry shops.  God bless Shop Rite!  I've also seen these things at smaller independent markets but usually made in-house by their bakeries with varying quality.  Some are good in a pinch but some are so-so.

And thanks for using the individual form "cannolo" for one since "cannoli" is the plural.  I just saw that mentioned somewhere, I think on TV recently but I forget where now.

Edited by Yeah No
  • Like 2
10 hours ago, EtheltoTillie said:

@Yeah No We pronounce it Sfooyadell.

LOL, so did my family, except grandma pronounced it "sfoyl-yatella". 

9 hours ago, ECM1231 said:

Tell me about it, now I want one of each, a baba with rum, sfogliatelle, and a cannoli!  3 things that are bad for my diet and my health these days!  

As for "gabba gool", my family would have cringed at that.  They pronounced it "cabba goal", LOL. 😉

And it was always moot-zarella, not MOTZ-arella or whatever other people say.  Not really a hard "moo" sound like a cow but more like a long "u" sound.

55 minutes ago, EtheltoTillie said:

Yes, we also would say moot-zarell.  No a on the end.  Like sfoooyadell.  Pru-zhoot.  That was our Neapolitan by way of the Bronx dialect. 

Yes, most of the time we put no "a" at the end either!  Same for A-Beets or A-Peets, depending on one's mood, LOL.

The discussion of Italian food and pronunciations is a wonderful coincidence for me.  I've started re-watching The Sopranos a few days ago and sfogliatelle was featured in a episode I saw last night.  Unfortunately, I have no idea where I could find it in Kansas City.  It may be available somewhere in KCMO, but I doubt I can find it near where I live in KCKS.

• Sad 1
2 hours ago, EtheltoTillie said:

Yes, we also would say moot-zarell.  No a on the end.  Like sfoooyadell.  Pru-zhoot.  That was our Neapolitan by way of the Bronx dialect. 

I was standing in a deli in Elmsford one day & heard a woman ask for pruzhoot. Finally! I knew how to pronounce prosciutto (& I add the "o"). But I do say mutzarell and it drives my Midwestern hubby nuts ("It's motz-a-rella"). 😆

What's everyone doing this weekend? We're staying put (our new deck is*finally* finished)

• Like 3
29 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

I was standing in a deli in Elmsford one day & heard a woman ask for pruzhoot. Finally! I knew how to pronounce prosciutto (& I add the "o"). But I do say mutzarell and it drives my Midwestern hubby nuts ("It's motz-a-rella"). 😆

What's everyone doing this weekend? We're staying put (our new deck is*finally* finished)

Anything to torment the hubby.  :D

A few people here have gone out to decorate graves already. We're having a bonfire tomorrow night. One of my favorite things to do on a summer evening.

• Like 5