Type keyword(s) to search

Chit-Chat: What's On Your Mind Today?

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

We all have been drawn into off-topic discussions, me included. There's little that's off-topic when it comes to Chit Chat, so the only ask is that you please remember that this is the Chit Chat topic and that there's a subforum for all things health and wellness here.

If there's something you need clarification on, please keep in mind that it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; talk to them and not about what they said.
If you disagree, consider how we can express our differing opinions and still respect the other's opinion and recognize it as valid.
We're all different people, so different perspectives and points of views are natural, welcome even for growing a healthy community. What is important is that we disagree with empathy and consideration. (If need be, check out the how do we have healthy debates guidelines for more).

• Start Topic

12 minutes ago, Cloud9Shopper said:

So much time is wasted when you doom scroll or look for posts to respond to or argue with people who are also too online that could be better spent on school, or preparing for a career change, or even just doing those miscellaneous chores I keep putting off or getting into new hobbies. 

Although I don't spend much time on Reddit, and I'm too old to get hired anywhere even if I did have the energy, strength, and stamina, there are many things I could be doing that I am not doing because I spend too much time in my own corners of the Internet, as well as spending too much time watching TV. 
More podcasts and less screen time is one of my goals.

Believe it or not, I've managed to make quick little Wordle into an hour or more long daily habit by engaging in the comments.

• Like 4
  • Love 1
5 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Although I don't spend much time on Reddit, and I'm too old to get hired anywhere even if I did have the energy, strength, and stamina, there are many things I could be doing that I am not doing because I spend too much time in my own corners of the Internet, as well as spending too much time watching TV. 

Believe it or not, I've managed to make quick little Wordle into an hour or more long daily habit by engaging in the comments.

I have found my attention span has decreased dramatically. I am re-reading one of my favorite books right now. I used to be able to read for hours. Now, I find it difficult to sit still and concentrate for long periods.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

I just signed up at Reddit. My only areas of interest are Seinfeld and figure skating. No wars, no down voting (so far). Just memories of hilarious lines on that TV show, and interesting stuff re: competitive skating. 

• Like 7
1 minute ago, annzeepark914 said:

I just signed up at Reddit. My only areas of interest are Seinfeld and figure skating. No wars, no down voting (so far). Just memories of hilarious lines on that TV show, and interesting stuff re: competitive skating. 

That's it. If you stick to certain subs, you can find a lot of really great people.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

You also don't have to join Reddit in order to read it.   That way, no matter how worked up you get, you know you can't post in response.  

• Like 4
  • Wink 3
  • Useful 4
44 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I have found my attention span has decreased dramatically. I am re-reading one of my favorite books right now. I used to be able to read for hours. Now, I find it difficult to sit still and concentrate for long periods.

So...I'm not the only one! I've been a mystery book reader since I picked up my first Nancy Drew in 5th grade. Now? I keep wondering if something interesting is on my phone. The only mysteries that can hold my attention are the oldies (e.g. the Miss Marple series & some of Christie's other sleuths). They totally remove me from today's world. Last week I cancelled a book that had just arrived at my library branch. I re-read the description and it sounded too much like what's happening (or may very well happen) right now. It's no longer escapism. I prefer to step back into the world of afternoon tea & scones by the fire, the quieter times.

• Like 8
  • Hugs 2
5 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

So...I'm not the only one! I've been a mystery book reader since I picked up my first Nancy Drew in 5th grade. Now? I keep wondering if something interesting is on my phone. The only mysteries that can hold my attention are the oldies (e.g. the Miss Marple series & some of Christie's other sleuths). They totally remove me from today's world. Last week I cancelled a book that had just arrived at my library branch. I re-read the description and it sounded too much like what's happening (or may very well happen) right now. It's no longer escapism. I prefer to step back into the world of afternoon tea & scones by the fire, the quieter times.

Same. I started with Golden Books Encyclopedias because they were in my room and I could read them when I was supposed to be in bed. Then the immortal Nancy Drew and after that all bets were off, I devoured everything from Catch 22 to Jane Eyre. I had 16 English credits when I bailed out of high school to go to design school. Thank you GED.

• Like 7
52 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

Remember the Dana Sisters? Where can I find these old series (including pre-1959 Nancy Drew books)? Too often these books are updated, modernized (removing a lot of interesting features). 

I only read one - The Ghost in the Gallery. I remember they were at boarding school and they only had an uncle and he was like a sea captain or something, I still have it too.

• Like 3
8 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Remember the Dana Sisters? Where can I find these old series (including pre-1959 Nancy Drew books)? Too often these books are updated, modernized (removing a lot of interesting features). 

On the upstairs landing at my house? 😄

IMG_20181129_2131404.thumb.jpg.1484dc286cb1f767778b80c3933f6f9b.jpg

• Like 3
  • Mind Blown 4
  • Applause 2
  • Love 7
(edited)
On 2/21/2024 at 12:39 PM, shapeshifter said:

At his time of our lives, we are entitled to watch junk tv, junk food, and anything else junk.  After catering to a husband, raising children, and all that goes with it, give me more junk.  It’s our time to do nothing but things we enjoy.  These silly threads are one of many nothings we enjoy.  At least me anyhow.   This stupid I pad is the first thing I put away at night and the first thing I pick up in the morning. Lol.

Edited by kristen111
  • Like 9
  • Applause 3
On 2/21/2024 at 1:33 PM, peacheslatour said:

That's it. If you stick to certain subs, you can find a lot of really great people.

So, what’s Reddit?  Another blog like Primetimer?  I’m on a few threads of shows I watch at night, and that keeps me busy.  Thos whose and Primetimer keep me busy.  I used to read all the time .. not now .  I just watched “Tess” last week, one of my favorite books by Thomas Hardy.  Wish Turner Classic would go into their vault and release other rare books.  Then, I’ll start reading again too.  Error up above, but I don’t want to fix it.  Too much trouble.  Anybody watch “Brooklyn” on HBO this week?  Another great movie.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, kristen111 said:

So, what’s Reddit?  Another blog like Primetimer?  I’m on a few threads of shows I watch at night, and that keeps me busy.  Thos whose and Primetimer keep me busy.  I used to read all the time .. not now .  I just watched “Tess” last week, one of my favorite books by Thomas Hardy.  Wish Turner Classic would go into their vault and release other rare books.  Then, I’ll start reading again too.  Error up above, but I don’t want to fix it.  Too much trouble.  Anybody watch “Brooklyn” on HBO this week?  Another great movie.

I went to Reddit com and was scrolling past all the areas of interest and hit "continue". It told me to select *something* so I looked it over again and clicked on Seinfeld and skating. I figured those were safe subjects. I registered via my email and enjoyed reading stuff in these two categories (no crazy warriors 😊)...but now I can't get back, in so maybe I need to register via my Gmail account. 

• Like 3
On 2/21/2024 at 1:53 PM, peacheslatour said:

Same. I started with Golden Books Encyclopedias because they were in my room and I could read them when I was supposed to be in bed. Then the immortal Nancy Drew and after that all bets were off, I devoured everything from Catch 22 to Jane Eyre. I had 16 English credits when I bailed out of high school to go to design school. Thank you GED.

Same here.  My Mother threw all my books out when I got married and left the house.  I was heartbroken. 😪

16 hours ago, ebk57 said:

On the upstairs landing at my house? 😄

IMG_20181129_2131404.thumb.jpg.1484dc286cb1f767778b80c3933f6f9b.jpg

Yes.  I thought buying the new books were the same, but they were not.  They were updated and lots of parts missing.  I was pissed off.

• Sad 6
10 minutes ago, kristen111 said:

My Mother threw all my books out when I got married and left the house.  I was heartbroken.

Mom moved all my sketchbooks full of pastel drawings to the basement where they got destroyed in a flood. 

20 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

I went to Reddit com and was scrolling past all the areas of interest and hit "continue". It told me to select *something* so I looked it over again and clicked on Seinfeld and skating. I figured those were safe subjects. I registered via my email and enjoyed reading stuff in these two categories (no crazy warriors 😊)...but now I can't get back, in so maybe I need to register via my Gmail account. 

Or maybe you're looking at different Seinfeld and/or skating Reddit subs that you have to "Join"?

• Like 1
  • Sad 6
4 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Or maybe you're looking at different Seinfeld and/or skating Reddit subs that you have to "Join"?

I figured once you registered, all you have to do is sign in when returning to the site. It's the same overall site. Ticks me off when sites are a PITA to use.

• Like 4
56 minutes ago, kristen111 said:

Reddit is a news aggregator. They post headlines about current events and people comment on them There are zillions of sub-Reddits for nearly any interest you can think of. There are pages of subs just devoted to cats, for example. 

• Like 5
4 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Mom moved all my sketchbooks full of pastel drawings to the basement where they got destroyed in a flood. 

Your sketchbooks were more important.  Not everyone can sketch, as it’s an art.  I couldn’t do it.  There are so many things I either threw out or couldn’t find in my life.  I’m so sorry now that I got rid of certain things that were in the way.  I never had enough room, plus I somehow lost a lot in our moves.  I know for sure I lost things when we moved back to New York from Florida.  It was a very big moving van.  Books, JC Penney catalog, my Yearbooks, etc.

• Hugs 6
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, kristen111 said:

Your sketchbooks were more important.  Not everyone can sketch, as it’s an art.  I couldn’t do it.  There are so many things I either threw out or couldn’t find in my life.  I’m so sorry now that I got rid of certain things that were in the way.  I never had enough room, plus I somehow lost a lot in our moves.  I know for sure I lost things when we moved back to New York from Florida.  It was a very big moving van.  Books, JC Penney catalog, my Yearbooks, etc.

Oh that's too bad, especially the yearbooks. 🙁

A granny square Afghan my mother crocheted for me was lost in a move.  Why that happened I'll never know.  Fortunately I found enough squares in her closet after she died to make another full Afghan but I never did it.  I should go on Etsy or some local board and find someone that can put them together for me.  I didn't "inherit" the sewing gene from my mother unfortunately.  I did inherit the drawing and cooking genes, though.  Fortunately I still have my art but I have had other things get ruined in basements and moves, like my wedding photo "proofs" if anyone remembers what they were.  Thankfully my wedding album is fine but a lot of the proofs got water damaged in basement storage in an apartment we lived in.

Of the things I'm sorry I got rid of, my baseball cards are on top of the list.  I had all the greats of the '60s including Micky Mantle, etc.  I actually didn't buy them for the cards but for the gum.  If anyone remembers, it was a gum that had cards in it, not cards that had gum in it, LOL.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Yeah No said:

Oh that's too bad, especially the yearbooks. 🙁

A granny square Afghan my mother crocheted for me was lost in a move.  Why that happened I'll never know.  Fortunately I found enough squares in her closet after she died to make another full Afghan but I never did it.  I should go on Etsy or some local board and find someone that can put them together for me.  I didn't "inherit" the sewing gene from my mother unfortunately.  I did inherit the drawing and cooking genes, though.  Fortunately I still have my art but I have had other things get ruined in basements and moves, like my wedding photo "proofs" if anyone remembers what they were.  Thankfully my wedding album is fine but a lot of the proofs got water damaged in basement storage in an apartment we lived in.

Of the things I'm sorry I got rid of, my baseball cards are on top of the list.  I had all the greats of the '60s including Micky Mantle, etc.  I actually didn't buy them for the cards but for the gum.  If anyone remembers, it was a gum that had cards in it, not cards that had gum in it, LOL.

Yep .. my Mother also made afghans.  Millions of them for everyone.  She threw away my baseball cads too.  The whole Yankee team when they were great.  In a shoebox too, lol.  She never like clutter, so sent all my beautiful dresses I wore to the City to relatives in Europe.  The thing I’m most heartbroken about is when in Florida, I was getting rid of some gold jewelry I had, and by some mistake put our two gold wedding bands in the pile.  Husband doesn’t wear jewelry, so I told him he didn’t have to wear his ring.  So they both went in the pile I sold.  Yikes!  Thank God it wasn’t an omen, as we are still married.  Then I left my victrola and 78s and 45 records in my Fathers house when we sold.  Now, in my old age I’m wondering what I was thinking in the days.  Stupid mistakes.  But, after hearing all the stories, I guess we all made some stupid mistakes when not thinking clearly.  The baseball cards were lots of money now.  Mint condition in plastic, in a shoebox.  Kill me.

• Mind Blown 2
  • Sad 5
On 2/13/2024 at 9:49 AM, Suzn said:

This fits with what I think about how women are with each other.  Women are taught to compete with each other on a deep, personal level.  A lot of it is covert with surface sweetness and support.  Of course what they are competing for is male attention.

I've found it easier to be friends with men rather than other women.  This is a huge generalization with exceptions, but trusting women has worked out badly a number of times.

I went to an all girls' high school and never felt we were competing against each other.  We were taught and encouraged to do well, but not at someone else's expense.  In fact, I was lazy and preferred to read rather than study hard enough to do really well, so I certainly wasn't competing against anyone and did the bare minimum to get into my first choice university.

Interestingly, I'm going to a mini reunion of the school later this year (the first one I'll ever have gone to, 40+ years after graduating!).  If I remember (doubtful) I'll ask whether others felt we were taught to compete against each other like this.

The more I think about it, the more bizarre it seems.  Different upbringings/cultures perhaps.  And I'm sorry women have let you down, that's also something I haven't experienced often enough to have ever thought of it as a pattern or the norm.

• Like 12
5 hours ago, kristen111 said:

Yep .. my Mother also made afghans.  Millions of them for everyone.  She threw away my baseball cads too.  The whole Yankee team when they were great.  In a shoebox too, lol.  She never like clutter, so sent all my beautiful dresses I wore to the City to relatives in Europe.  The thing I’m most heartbroken about is when in Florida, I was getting rid of some gold jewelry I had, and by some mistake put our two gold wedding bands in the pile.  Husband doesn’t wear jewelry, so I told him he didn’t have to wear his ring.  So they both went in the pile I sold.  Yikes!  Thank God it wasn’t an omen, as we are still married.  Then I left my victrola and 78s and 45 records in my Fathers house when we sold.  Now, in my old age I’m wondering what I was thinking in the days.  Stupid mistakes.  But, after hearing all the stories, I guess we all made some stupid mistakes when not thinking clearly.  The baseball cards were lots of money now.  Mint condition in plastic, in a shoebox.  Kill me.

Awww, hearing about all that hurts.  Hugs to you!  🤗  I still have my wedding and engagement rings but they're too small for me now and I already had them resized years ago!  I sadly had to get rid of a lot of records (including 78s) from my father's apt. but thanks to my husband knowing what to keep/give away we saved some of the best stuff, although there are still things I can't find.  My parents had a LOT of books and I worry that I got rid of first editions of some valuable books - I tried to avoid that.  I think I saved a first edition of "To Kill a Mockingbird" but I don't feel like going through the plastic tubs with the books in them to confirm that.  I still worry that I mistakenly got rid of it.  I should have kept it out so it was easy to find.

3 hours ago, Ancaster said:

I went to an all girls' high school and never felt we were competing against each other.  We were taught and encouraged to do well, but not at someone else's expense.  In fact, I was lazy and preferred to read rather than study hard enough to do really well, so I certainly wasn't competing against anyone and did the bare minimum to get into my first choice university.

Interestingly, I'm going to a mini reunion of the school later this year (the first one I'll ever have gone to, 40+ years after graduating!).  If I remember (doubtful) I'll ask whether others felt we were taught to compete against each other like this.

The more I think about it, the more bizarre it seems.  Different upbringings/cultures perhaps.  And I'm sorry women have let you down, that's also something I haven't experienced often enough to have ever thought of it as a pattern or the norm.

My mother went to an all girls high school in NYC way back in the late '30s/early '40s and had a very congenial experience with her classmates.  You are right that it depends on different cultures and upbringings as to what experience you have.  My bad experience was in elementary school, not jr. high or high school.  And thank goodness, too.  I joke around that at the Bronx HS of Science we ALL wore the "kick me" sign on our backs, LOL.  It was a breath of fresh air to be around kids that didn't act cliquish and superior.  Meanwhile many of them were some of the smartest kids in the country!

• Like 5
41 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

Awww, hearing about all that hurts.  Hugs to you!  🤗  I still have my wedding and engagement rings but they're too small for me now and I

No worries, lol .. the gold bands were bought beforehand.  By himself, he bought me a beautiful Diamond wedding band to wear the wedding day and thereafter.  But, I still would have liked to have the others.  

• Like 5
3 hours ago, Yeah No said:

My mother went to an all girls high school in NYC way back in the late '30s/early '40s and had a very congenial experience with her classmates.  You are right that it depends on different cultures and upbringings as to what experience you have.  My bad experience was in elementary school, not jr. high or high school.  And thank goodness, too.  I joke around that at the Bronx HS of Science we ALL wore the "kick me" sign on our backs, LOL.  It was a breath of fresh air to be around kids that didn't act cliquish and superior.  Meanwhile many of them were some of the smartest kids in the country!

My (ex) husband graduated from Bronx Science in the late 70s.  As far as I'm concerned, he still has the sign, just on his front and a little lower down.

• Applause 1
  • LOL 6
4 hours ago, Ancaster said:

My (ex) husband graduated from Bronx Science in the late 70s.  As far as I'm concerned, he still has the sign, just on his front and a little lower down.

LOL, I wish I could give you 10 emoji's for that remark!!!  😂

He didn't graduate in '76 did he?

• Like 2
(edited)
4 hours ago, Yeah No said:

LOL, I wish I could give you 10 emoji's for that remark!!!  😂

He didn't graduate in '76 did he?

I'm trying to work it out, but it's hard to figure out exactly between his birthday (January), the fact that he "graduated early" (according, frequently, to him and his mom), and other unknowns.  I still see him often, so if I remember, I'll ask!

PS:  I hope no-one thinks I'm questioning the potential value of programs that allowed him and his sister and others an incredible education.  Would that everyone was afforded the same thing, and not as an advantage, but as a given.

Edited by Ancaster
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 3

Well....I was just watching Laura on TCM and had to turn it off as it got scary toward the end. They know who the killer is but the detective leaves the apt w/o setting up any protection (like a guard).  Can someone tell me how it ended? I'm too chicken to watch the end 😱

Also, these old movies have way too much smoking (and I used to be a smoker).

• Like 1
56 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

And too much drinking. It’s like they had to pour a glass of liquor from a fancy decanter to baptize every f’in’ scene.

Nobody ever offered water unless maybe they were a medical professional.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, annzeepark914 said:

Well....I was just watching Laura on TCM and had to turn it off as it got scary toward the end.

It was between that one and Little Women ( Winona Ryder 1994 version) and I chose Little Women, even though I had seen it before. I don't like scary movies and wasn't sure how scary it would be. I'd thought it was more in the style of film noir. 

Claire Danes' (Beth) dying scene gets me every time.

• Useful 1
1 hour ago, annzeepark914 said:

Well....I was just watching Laura on TCM and had to turn it off as it got scary toward the end. They know who the killer is but the detective leaves the apt w/o setting up any protection (like a guard).  Can someone tell me how it ended? I'm too chicken to watch the end 😱

I watched for the hundredth time.  The “pen” old guy dies and Laura winds up with he detective.  We watched Northwest Passage today, so good, 4 stars.  This week The Quiet Man on Turner.  My library is full.  My eyes on overdrive.  Too much tv.

• Like 3

I couldn't get over how handsome Dana Andrews was in his younger years. I only remember seeing him in movies when he was older. And Gene Tierney was stunning! Fun to see Vincent Price as a young man. I only recognized his distinctive voice at first 😁.

• Like 6
33 minutes ago, luv2lurk said:

Speaking of film noire and Gene Tierney and Vincent Price - have any of you seen Leave Her to Heaven?

Technicolor noir. Beautiful visually. She was quite the psycho though.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Tierney was a psycho? Was it true that, while pregnant, a fan with measles approached her & she eventually lost her baby ? Agatha Christie wrote a mystery about this happening to an American actress. I think the title was The Mirror Cracked From Side to Side. Elizabeth Taylor played the actress in the (TV?) movie. It was supposed to be based on what happened to Tierney.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
3 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Tierney was a psycho? Was it true that, while pregnant, a fan with measles approached her & she eventually lost her baby ? Agatha Christie wrote a mystery about this happening to an American actress. I think the title was The Mirror Cracked From Side to Side. Elizabeth Taylor played the actress in the (TV?) movie. It was supposed to be based on what happened to Tierney.

No, no, no! I'm sorry, I meant her character in Leave Her to Heaven!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I have a weird question that I can't figure out how to find the answer for.  I have Power of Attorney for my father, who has dementia and who likely only has a few days left.  I did his taxes yesterday and sent them off electronically, signing my name and "POA" after it like I did last year.  He owed a little bit, so I wrote the checks on his account, signing them as POA, and mailing them off.  There is a high likelihood that he will die before the appropriate taxation entities receive the checks.  Are those checks still good?  I mean, I know POA goes away upon death, and I won't be able to sign anything for him after that, although I am also executor of the estate, and I'll be the one taking care of post-death business.

Anyone know anything about this?

• Hugs 6
  • Sad 1
27 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I have a weird question that I can't figure out how to find the answer for.  I have Power of Attorney for my father, who has dementia and who likely only has a few days left.  I did his taxes yesterday and sent them off electronically, signing my name and "POA" after it like I did last year.  He owed a little bit, so I wrote the checks on his account, signing them as POA, and mailing them off.  There is a high likelihood that he will die before the appropriate taxation entities receive the checks.  Are those checks still good?  I mean, I know POA goes away upon death, and I won't be able to sign anything for him after that, although I am also executor of the estate, and I'll be the one taking care of post-death business.

First, very sorry about your father and what I know you must be dealing with.

Second, I'm definitely not a lawyer, but I've been in sort of the same situation.  The difference being that I was already added as a joint holder on my mother's checking accounts while she was still able to do that.  Obviously too late for that to be a solution for you, though.  But I'd have to guess that the state/IRS are going to process those checks as soon as they get them, even if they don't process the actual return that quickly.  Do you have online access to his account?  Maybe in a couple of days you can see if they cleared, and that could ease your mind?

If somehow the checks don't clear in time - are you set up in his will to be executor?  If so, you should be able to set up an estate account when you have a death certificate, and reissue the checks from that.  If someone else is appointed executor, then it's their problem.  If nobody is appointed - then I'm not clear on what happens.  Maybe someone else will weigh in. Hoping for the best for you.

• Like 5
1 hour ago, graybrown bird said:

I love "Laura"  and always watch at least a scene or two when I come across it, even though I've seen it many times.  One little thing I enjoy noticing every time -- what long eyelashes Dana Andrews has!!

Whenever he plays with that little baseball game, I have to remind myself that no, they didn't have cell phones in those days.

• LOL 2

I am executor, and will likely have to set up an estate account, although almost everything has someone listed as POD.  I worry about the post office delivering the checks in a timely fashion!  I guess they'll let me know if the checks are denied. 

I do have electronic access as of now to the accounts, but that will go away when POA does, I think.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 4

I know this isn't the movie thread but I just want to say that we watched The Holdovers on Amazon prime this afternoon & I loved it 🩷. It's my kind of movie & they don't get made very often these days. 

• Like 6
On 2/23/2024 at 8:23 PM, Ancaster said:

I'm trying to work it out, but it's hard to figure out exactly between his birthday (January), the fact that he "graduated early" (according, frequently, to him and his mom), and other unknowns.  I still see him often, so if I remember, I'll ask!

PS:  I hope no-one thinks I'm questioning the potential value of programs that allowed him and his sister and others an incredible education.  Would that everyone was afforded the same thing, and not as an advantage, but as a given.

Thanks.  Between people skipping a year and being born in certain months, it can be hard to figure out.  I was offered the chance to skip but turned it down and I'm glad I did because I wouldn't have traded the people I knew in HS for any others.  I always wondered if I should have, but then realized that Neil Tyson and several other people in my class didn't skip either so I wasn't alone.

And no need to worry about what you said above, I would gladly wear 10 kick me signs if it meant being around people that didn't actually want to kick me, LOL.  And that was my experience in that school.  The more time passes, the more I realize what a great gift that place was to me at just the time I needed it.  I do sometimes wish that certain people in my life could have had the privilege of going there, like my husband.  It wasn't perfect, though.  I had a couple of bad teachers there, but they were the exceptions.

• Like 4
  • Love 1
On 2/24/2024 at 12:44 AM, peacheslatour said:

Fun fact. My father bought what would become our family cottage on a lake backed by woods in the early 70's. It was named Back of the Moon by the previous owner. 

I think to this day it has fewer amenities than the one in the film - no electricity or running water and an outhouse with a pail system (so you dig a hole and dump it every few days). It is only accessible by boat and a great place to escape to.  Yes, there is internet, but I choose to have a cell phone plan for emergency only.

But let me make this clear, the only murders that will be conducted are by my cat toward mice 😀

• Like 1
  • LOL 11
7 hours ago, Browncoat said:

First, I am very sorry to hear about your father.  I wish I knew more about this, but my situation was different in that my dad's taxes were done after his death.  Also, we had a joint checking account and he had no estate so I was not an executor.  My memory is fuzzy about this but regarding the POA, I think I needed to provide that in some cases after my dad's death but I don't remember why.  I know I had to produce it to his auto finance company.  I was not an executor because he had no estate but I think I was accepted as taking care of his final business without that because not everyone that dies leaves an estate (note that I already owned his apartment for years before he died so he didn't even have that at the time of his death).  And if you wrote those checks before your father died, technically that happened when the POA was still in effect.  I don't know if any of that makes any difference, though.

One thing I do know, though, is that my father died on the 4th of the month and his pensions had already been deposited at the end of the previous month so I somehow didn't have to give them back the money.  But Social Security had not been deposited yet and never was.  That's how fast the gov't finds out about it when someone dies!

• Like 3
On 2/23/2024 at 10:39 PM, shapeshifter said:

And too much drinking. It’s like they had to pour a glass of liquor from a fancy decanter to baptize every f’in’ scene.

Nobody ever offered water unless maybe they were a medical professional.

I noticed that even in soap operas I used to watch 30-40 years ago, like "General Hospital".  And the more I watch "retro" TV shows the more I am reminded of how often characters would ask each other in "for a nightcap" and that same fancy decanter would come out.

The interesting thing is I never saw anyone in real life actually say that to anyone and I often wonder how routine and common that really was back in the day.  Was it mostly a TV/movie thing or was it based in a reality I had no experience with?  I remember being over at people's houses in the '60s and '70s that had those little rolling liquor carts like they used to have with decanters on them, though.  My parents didn't have one.  Neither of them was much of a drinker.  My mother kept cooking wine, a big bottle of scotch, some gin for the occasional martini, and a few liqueurs.  When my father died there was liquor in a kitchen cabinet that sat there for decades untouched.

• Like 6
On 2/24/2024 at 7:58 AM, annzeepark914 said:

She didn’t lose the baby, the baby was born with special needs and spent most of her life in an institution.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gene_Tierney

• Like 1
  • Useful 5
7 hours ago, Yeah No said:

I noticed that even in soap operas I used to watch 30-40 years ago, like "General Hospital".  And the more I watch "retro" TV shows the more I am reminded of how often characters would ask each other in "for a nightcap" and that same fancy decanter would come out.

The interesting thing is I never saw anyone in real life actually say that to anyone and I often wonder how routine and common that really was back in the day.  Was it mostly a TV/movie thing or was it based in a reality I had no experience with?  I remember being over at people's houses in the '60s and '70s that had those little rolling liquor carts like they used to have with decanters on them, though.  My parents didn't have one.  Neither of them was much of a drinker.  My mother kept cooking wine, a big bottle of scotch, some gin for the occasional martini, and a few liqueurs.  When my father died there was liquor in a kitchen cabinet that sat there for decades untouched.

Heh...mentioning drinking on soap operas made me think of all the cups of coffee consumed on Guiding Light. I'm not much of a coffee drinker so it was very noticeable to me. Every scene in which the characters would meet to discuss, ad nauseum, the current problem, out would come the coffee pot, cups & saucers. This was back when the theme music was played on an organ 😁.

My parents served cocktails. After dinner, they'd offer cordials (?)...creme de menthe, peppermint schnapps, etc. I think I recently gave away those teeny, tiny glasses. The social life sure has changed from our parents' day.

• Like 6
14 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

I know this isn't the movie thread but I just want to say that we watched The Holdovers on Amazon prime this afternoon & I loved it 🩷. It's my kind of movie & they don't get made very often these days. 

We loved it, too.

We watched Past Lives last night and I was surprised my husband enjoyed it as much as he did because the majority is spoken in Korean with English subtitles, and he hates subtitles. Another enjoyable film. 

• Useful 2
(edited)
5 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

My parents served cocktails. After dinner, they'd offer cordials (?)...creme de menthe, peppermint schnapps, etc.

Cocktails (with or without appetizers) before dinner is still the norm in my family and social circle, but after dinner drinks have fallen off the radar.  I always offer (along with coffee, which I don't drink, but I acquired a coffee maker years ago for guests), but most decline.  I still like the occasional B&B (Benedictine & Brandy) or Grappa.

People do love a snuggler (hot cocoa with peppermint schnapps) after dinner by the fireplace around the holidays, though.  My mom loves Brandy Alexander, which I think should be an after dinner drink as it's basically a liquid dessert, but she likes it before dinner.

I inherited a lot of great vintage barware from my grandparents to weave into the fun contemporary collection I'd amassed, and it's a bit of a bummer my cool set of '30s cordial glasses doesn't get a lot of use.  Thankfully, I have a built-in cabinet in the corner of my kitchen that has glass doors, so I can put a lot of them on display.  Plus I have a bar in my game room, where some funky pieces can double as art.

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 7
On 2/21/2024 at 12:44 PM, annzeepark914 said:

This is me! I used to be a voracious reader but a shorter attention span and more distractions and scatterbrained feelings have changed that. I go back to the old ones as well, but do buy/borrow new ones as long as they're in the cozy mystery category. Right now I'm reading the third book in the Thursday Murder Club series by Richard Osman (which is excellent!) and listening to one by Kate Kingsbury (so far, so good). 

On 2/21/2024 at 1:08 PM, annzeepark914 said:

You'll find them at antique/junk shops and (possibly) thrift stores. I used to find lots of great old books at our local thrift stores but, apart from six Nancy Drews with beautifully illustrated covers and a few 1960s BH&G cookbooks, haven't in quite some time. Whether they're no longer getting donations of books, or are not accepting them, or they're bundling them and sending them elsewhere, who knows?

On 2/25/2024 at 12:50 AM, Yeah No said:

I remember being over at people's houses in the '60s and '70s that had those little rolling liquor carts like they used to have with decanters on them, though.

Those carts are back in style. I'd love to have a MCM one but sadly have no space for it.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1