Type keyword(s) to search

Chit-Chat: What's On Your Mind Today?

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

We all have been drawn into off-topic discussions, me included. There's little that's off-topic when it comes to Chit Chat, so the only ask is that you please remember that this is the Chit Chat topic and that there's a subforum for all things health and wellness here.

If there's something you need clarification on, please keep in mind that it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; talk to them and not about what they said.
If you disagree, consider how we can express our differing opinions and still respect the other's opinion and recognize it as valid.
We're all different people, so different perspectives and points of views are natural, welcome even for growing a healthy community. What is important is that we disagree with empathy and consideration. (If need be, check out the how do we have healthy debates guidelines for more).

• Start Topic

6 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Snowing in Hell is just a cool site, there are quite a few Primetmaniacs there too.

Peaches mentioned it and when I went to check it out, you need to login to read anything. Then Anela said you need someone that is a member to vouch for you so we both ended up asking Peaches to "vouch" for us. Don't know if I would become a regular there but it sounded interesting...

• Like 3
(edited)
2 hours ago, Yeah No said:

It was weird in parts.  I did some strange things like go into my email archive and read my Dad's emails to me from the end of 2005 through early 2006.  He used to write me an email every day.  I also read emails to and from other people and it was like reliving a small section of my life.  I was reminded of things I had forgotten.  It put me in a weird headspace but it was so worth it.

I also went over to Reddit to talk about one show I was going through withdrawal about not being able to talk about here, but it was kind of unsatisfying. 

Then the sun finally came out and I got out for a few days.  I'm actually surprised the time seemed to go so fast.  It made me realize how much I appreciate this place and all of you.

What is "Snowing in Hell"?

Very similar for me — not surprisingly, right?

I engaged with some Redditors about an episode of a show that aired.

I was incredibly moved by Joni Mitchell's Grammy performance, crying more than I have in years, which turned into crying about my Mom who passed at almost 92 in 2020 after a terrible 5 years with physical struggles similar to Joni's, but Mom was in too much grief to even try to overcome it.
https://youtu.be/awyl_RLlNl8

Then today/yesterday the sun finally came out for a few hours. The temperature was around freezing.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 3
  • Hugs 11
  • Applause 1
1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

I was incredibly moved by Joni Mitchell's Grammy performance, crying more than I have in years, which turned into crying about my Mom who passed at almost 92 in 2020 after a terrible 5 years with physical struggles similar to Joni's, but Mom was in too much grief to even try to overcome it.

Then today/yesterday the sun finally came out for a few hours. The temperature was around freezing.

Yes, not surprisingly!  I remember when your mom died.  She and my dad were around the same age and died in the same year.

I made the mistake of watching Theresa Caputo's new show on Lifetime this past week.  I can't seem to stop watching her for some reason, LOL.  It's one of my guilty pleasure shows.  But two readings brought me right back to my father's death and there I was bawling.  One young man had not seen his grandmother in many years because she lived in another country.  Then right before the pandemic she came to visit him for a couple of weeks and they did many special things together.  Then when the pandemic hit a lot of travelers went home before everything was locked down, including her.  She ended up dying of Covid soon after and he never saw her again.  I just lost it....

So yeah, that was another weird thing that put me in a very melancholy mood.  I'm also stressing out about an upcoming routine procedure which I might talk about in the medical thread.  I was always a bit of a worrier about that stuff but never this bad until the pandemic.

• Hugs 5
8 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I'm a bit too young for a Joni performance to hit me in the feels.  I respect her as an artist and have a couple of her songs on my playlist, but she does not move me the way other artists do. The Luke Combs-Tracy Chapman performance, OTOH, got me.  

• Like 1

By the way, @shapeshifter, I saw that Joni Mitchell performance and it got to me too as I have always been a BIG fan.  I saw her a few years ago on a YouTube video with a guitarist that does music-related videos.  I forget his name now, my husband watches him.  He often talks about the genius of her music.  And wasn't there something on PBS about her recently?  I think I saw her there too.  Memory is failing me right now.  I'm all stressed out over that thing I'm going to discuss in the medical thread.

Just remembered his name:  Rick Beato.

• Like 2
  • Fire 1
13 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

Peaches mentioned it and when I went to check it out, you need to login to read anything. Then Anela said you need someone that is a member to vouch for you so we both ended up asking Peaches to "vouch" for us. Don't know if I would become a regular there but it sounded interesting...

I will totally vouch for you but I'm telling everyone, there are parts of it that are just like here. Chit Chat. Pet Peeves and General discussion but there are other parts that are very political. Just so you know.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

The Luke Combs-Tracy Chapman performance, OTOH, got me.  

I can't find a link to the whole performance, just snippets.  Can anyone else?  I'd like to see it -- I opted not to watch the Grammys.

• Like 2
11 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

My husband and I were were both crying so hard. I almost let out a full throated sob before I got a grip on myself.

2 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I can't find a link to the whole performance, just snippets.  Can anyone else?  I'd like to see it -- I opted not to watch the Grammys.

There's one on FARK.com. Just go to the Entertainment tab. The link is in the comments.

• Like 1
  • Fire 1
21 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I had to watch Joni while I was at home, by myself.  I knew it would wreck me.

@peacheslatour, I'm not seeing a link to the Grammy performance, but thanks for looking!

It's on yesterday's tab. Title "Here's Joni Mitchell's first-ever Grammy performance in full." The link is in the comments.

5 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

It's on yesterday's tab. Title "Here's Joni Mitchell's first-ever Grammy performance in full." The link is in the comments.

I'm still not seeing a link to the Tracy Chapman/Luke Combs performance.  OTOH, I do see a couple of links to the site formerly known as Twitter, but I am at work, and that site is blocked.

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I'm still not seeing a link to the Tracy Chapman/Luke Combs performance.  OTOH, I do see a couple of links to the site formerly known as Twitter, but I am at work, and that site is blocked.

Hmm that's odd, I just went right to it. FARK.com right?

6 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Hmm that's odd, I just went right to it. FARK.com right?

Yes.  Maybe I'm just blind.  I see the link to the Joni Mitchell performance, though.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Yes.  Maybe I'm just blind.  I see the link to the Joni Mitchell performance, though.

There are two. The first one is just making fun of her but the second one with the title I quoted is the one you want.

12 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

There are two. The first one is just making fun of her but the second one with the title I quoted is the one you want.

That's the one I went to.  I didn't see it in the comments on fark, and I also didn't see it in the comments on the linked article.  The only links I saw were to Joni's performance, not to Tracy/Luke's.  I'll look again later, after I get home and can access more sites.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
35 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

That's the one I went to.  I didn't see it in the comments on fark, and I also didn't see it in the comments on the linked article.  The only links I saw were to Joni's performance, not to Tracy/Luke's.  I'll look again later, after I get home and can access more sites.

Your work may have the site blocked? Mine would have been smart to. I spent way too much time on FARK when I was working. 😇

I STILL can't believe that Joni Mitchell has never performed at the Grammys in her long, long career.  I actually don't live too far from a cafe she performed at before she became famous.  The cafe isn't there anymore.  It's now a men's clothing store.

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Did anyone else do their taxes while PT was on a Break?

No...I'm procrastinating a bit. I have all the salient docs piled right in front of me on my desk but am resisting the actual plunge, since I know that once I start, I won't do anything else until I get the f...ker all done, no matter what the cost. This all stems from my loathing of everything to do with numbers and math, which is kinda funny this year because I volunteered last month to do the tax return for the non-profit for which I am part-time employed (yes, I know - what WAS I thinking?). Fortunately the IRS actually provides video tutorials free on line for the non-profit tax return so I am praying that I find it all reasonably do-able, if not easy. Non-profit tax returns are not due until May at the earliest so I can procrastinate about that one after I finish stalling on my personal return 😸

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1
3 hours ago, chitowngirl said:

I rewatched The Grammys on CBS.com. Tracy Chapman/Luke Combs are on early, perhaps 30-40 minutes in?

Found it, thanks!  I could have done without Luke mouthing the words along with Tracy when she was singing, but otherwise, it was great!

• Like 3
7 hours ago, EtheltoTillie said:

I have tried to understand Discord in the past, but I just gave up. 

It can be hit and miss sometimes, yeah. I've been a part of a few Discords before, but they were either TOO active to where it was hard to keep up with the conversation, or so dead that it felt pointless to spend time in them :p.

I am currently part of a Discord for fans of the show "Ghosts", though (the U.S. one), and that one's been pretty fun. Lots of entertaining conversations there, about the show and other things in general :). It's like the Goldilocks of Discord sites - just active enough for me :D. 

Regarding the Grammys talk, add me to the list of those who liked the Luke and Tracy duet. I wasn't big on Luke's version of that song, but it was cool to see him up there performing with her. He was clearly in awe and happy to be performing with her, which was nice :). 

I liked the performances in general at the Grammys - there were quite a few that got to me a bit. Annie Lennox paying tribute to Sinead O'Connor was one of those moments for me. Plus, I liked how woman-heavy the awards seemed to be, too - lots of women winning awards and performing on stage, it was cool. 

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 2
1 hour ago, Browncoat said:

Found it, thanks!  I could have done without Luke mouthing the words along with Tracy when she was singing, but otherwise, it was great!

I wonder if he did that because it helped him know when to go in.

• Like 3
On 2/5/2024 at 5:41 PM, chitowngirl said:

I bit the bullet and joined Reddit, but under a different user name as this one was taken. In general, there are a lot of unhappy people there. Don’t know if I’ll venture back there now that “we” are back up and running. Saw a few of us over there in a certain forum explaining about this one.

That Reddit thread certainly was interesting! 

• Like 5
  • Useful 1
30 minutes ago, oliviabenson said:

I was happy on Reddit so I was fine without this site. Tbh I need to wean myself off so much internet!

Ditto.  Although I dint use Reddit.  

I actually took a break from posting on another forum I use.  I think I will make it a solid 2 week break from it.

Yeah, just like I would in real life I find even posting on forums or messaging people on them,  I need to sort of re-center myself if you will before I participate.  

• Like 2

Geez laweze...I just read the Welcome Back message from TPTB at Primetimer. Guess I live in a bubble here. I haven't experienced any "wars" at this forum. Of course, I don't visit too many threads as my favorite shows are from the past (e.g , Seinfeld, Designing Women, etc). I mostly hang out at chit chat, pet peeves, the networks, food section, once in a while at Jeopardy!, & figure skating. It boggles the mind to realize what they have to deal with. Thanks to the moderators here who deal with "stuff". 

• Like 9
12 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

Geez laweze...I just read the Welcome Back message from TPTB at Primetimer. Guess I live in a bubble here. I haven't experienced any "wars" at this forum. Of course, I don't visit too many threads as my favorite shows are from the past (e.g , Seinfeld, Designing Women, etc). I mostly hang out at chit chat, pet peeves, the networks, food section, once in a while at Jeopardy!, & figure skating. It boggles the mind to realize what they have to deal with. Thanks to the moderators here who deal with "stuff". 

There were wars, but not amongst the posters. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 7
(edited)
16 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Thanks to the moderators here who deal with "stuff". 

I think it is important to remember that we were all users who just happened to be asked to volunteer to be moderators. With the VERY rare exceptions where somebody seemed to enjoy having power, we all just wanted to keep this place a fun place to have civil conversations. We did our best.

And yeah, there were some specific forums where people dug in their heels to defend their beliefs to the point where they simply wouldn't follow the very straightforward forum rules.

Note that I'm using the past tense. As the welcome back messages says, "We're on a journey to enrich our moderation practices with further Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion principles, focusing on the richness that diversity brings and the strength found in our collective resilience."

So I would expect that the new moderation team will be able to provide the safe and enriching experience that I and the previous team were not able to provide for everybody here. 

Edited by JTMacc99
  • Like 5
  • Hugs 1
  • Thanks 5
  • Useful 3
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

…think it is important to remember that we were all users who just happened to be asked to volunteer to be moderators.…

On some forum in the last 25 years I was once asked to be a moderator and said no thanks. I've also never served on a jury. Does this mean I shirked my duty to my fellow humans? Maybe. But when I first read the line quoted above,
my brain thought it was: 
We are all users who are also moderators.

😉🙃💟

• Like 5
(edited)
On 2/8/2024 at 1:41 PM, shapeshifter said:

Does this mean I shirked my duty to my fellow humans?

Everybody who contributes to civil conversations, listens to what others have to day, and makes people around them WANT to be around them has done their duty to their fellow human beings.

Edited by JTMacc99
  • Like 1
  • Hugs 17
  • Love 1

I know I could never be a moderator. Whenever I'm in stores or medical offices, I look at the employees dealing with the public and think, "better you than me!"  Just don't have the tolerance for the intolerable 😁

• Like 7
1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

On some forum in the last 25 years I was once asked to be a moderator and said no thanks. I've also never served on a jury. Does this mean I shirked my duty to my fellow humans? Maybe.

When I turned down an invitation to be a moderator here, I said I understand this may reek of me wanting to get all the benefits of using this place without giving anything back, but here there seem to be a good number of people willing to give their time.  On NextDoor, they were having trouble getting a good number, plus a variety within the group, of people to do it so there I felt more of an obligation and signed on. 

• Like 3
  • Applause 2
22 minutes ago, Bastet said:

On NextDoor, they were having trouble getting a good number, plus a variety within the group, of people to do it so there I felt more of an obligation and signed on. 

It depends upon the neighborhood.
Around here the NextDoor groups can sometimes make Reddit look like, well, like something better. 
There was a guy the NextDoor folks were suspicious of who they "caught" looking closely at artistic decorations on their homes and yards.
They posted ring camera pictures of him.
I recognized him as someone I'd actually chatted with when we were walking on the beach at the same time one wintery day.
He's a collage artist who gathers driftwood — for which that beach is known to be an excellent source.
Well, known to collage artists.
And to the local CBS weatherman.
Not to frequenters of Next Door.
I think I vouched for him on NextDoor. At least I hope I did. 
I haven't been on NextDoor for many months.

• Like 3
3 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

It depends upon the neighborhood.
Around here the NextDoor groups can sometimes make Reddit look like, well, like something better. 

Yep, that's why I felt the obligation.  Judging by discussion in the national moderators forum, it was never anywhere as bad here as it is in a whole lot of places, but there was still too much prohibited content being left to stand. 

Because of the group of moderators we wound up with over time, things are much different here now.  Disrespectful and even discriminatory things still get posted in the first place, unfortunately, but far less, and they get removed, often that same day.  I'd like us to have even more active moderators - especially from neighborhoods and demographics that are still underrepresented - and do better at getting things removed quickly, but it's an absolute oasis compared to many other areas.  (I think I mentioned recently that I was experiencing a temporary glitch that pops up occasionally where I got posts from beyond my nearby neighborhoods, so I had stuff in my feed from a lot of different neighborhoods across Los Angeles, and it was an unholy mess in some places.)

• Like 3
On 2/7/2024 at 6:27 PM, Salacious Kitty said:

There were wars, but not amongst the posters. 

I wish I understood what this meant.  I got the impression that there were heated discussions and disagreements between posters on certain threads that became chronic and no amount of moderation could make it stop.  But I may have gotten it wrong.

I have only rarely encountered that kind of situation here and not in a long time, thankfully.

Back in the '90s and '00s I owned and moderated a YahooGroup for the INFJ personality type and it was not easy.  You can't make everyone happy.  Whatever you do, half the board thinks you should have done something else.

• Like 4

I don't know if I had a post flagged or what, but I tried posting something from my phone and it didn't go.  Anyway, I was mentioning that I didn't understand a lot of what younger people wear these days.  I get the retro 90s looks, but what's with skin tone leggings (especially when there's VPL) and hip length tops?  

• Useful 1
20 hours ago, Yeah No said:

Back in the '90s and '00s I owned and moderated a YahooGroup for the INFJ personality type and it was not easy.  You can't make everyone happy.  Whatever you do, half the board thinks you should have done something else.

Well they are J's

• LOL 2
1 hour ago, PRgal said:

I don't know if I had a post flagged or what, but I tried posting something from my phone and it didn't go.  Anyway, I was mentioning that I didn't understand a lot of what younger people wear these days.  I get the retro 90s looks, but what's with skin tone leggings (especially when there's VPL) and hip length tops?  

Oh dear. 
And just when I've accepted dark-hued leggings as pants (on women not myself).
As a 70-year-old female with a BMI exactly in the middle, my reasons for not wearing leggings as pants include that I do not want to: attract attention or distract people, be too cold in winter or too hot in summer, be uncomfortable.
Today walking on a pier with a wind chill in the low 50sF, there was a couple in front of me for a bit, the woman wearing dark leggings and a jacket that barely covered a panty line, and the man wearing pants I would wear.

• Like 2
  • Wink 2

I love my leggings and wish I could wear them year round. But I always wear a longer top to cover my derriere 😁. There are some thinner, 3/4 length leggings I wear when the weather is between winter and spring. But I saw some young women yesterday wearing leggings and skin-tight tops. It was not a good sight for sore eyes! 👀🥴

• Like 3
  • LOL 1
6 hours ago, meep.meep said:

Well they are J's

LOL, unfortunately I get that.  I was never that severe a "J" type, though judging from my test scores, so I hear you.

4 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

I love my leggings and wish I could wear them year round. But I always wear a longer top to cover my derriere 😁. There are some thinner, 3/4 length leggings I wear when the weather is between winter and spring. But I saw some young women yesterday wearing leggings and skin-tight tops. It was not a good sight for sore eyes! 👀🥴

I have leggings in every size and weight so I wear them year round.  I stay away from the lighter colors, though, since I carry my weight below the waist.  At this time of year if I wear leggings it's with a longish sweater or top that comes down over most of the tush area and opt for the thicker ponte knit fabric.  And I wear a full coverage tummy control brief that smooths everything out and never shows a VPL.  I also sometimes wear them with tall boots.

I also tend to wear "jeggings" (aka jean leggings) in different weights.  I have thinner ones I wear in the warm weather and thicker ones I wear now.  I love the retro wide and straight leg pants and jeans out now but that's trickier for me to do right because I'm short and shapely.  I have a few pairs that work, though.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
8 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Did they look like they were coming from the gym?  

• Like 2
33 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

No. This was in a hospital waiting room and I doubt they go to a gym 😏.

Perhaps they were wearing the lightest weight clothes for when they had to step on the scales?
Don't we all do that to some degree given the opportunity?😆

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1