Type keyword(s) to search

Chit-Chat: What's On Your Mind Today?

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

We all have been drawn into off-topic discussions, me included. There's little that's off-topic when it comes to Chit Chat, so the only ask is that you please remember that this is the Chit Chat topic and that there's a subforum for all things health and wellness here.

If there's something you need clarification on, please keep in mind that it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; talk to them and not about what they said.
If you disagree, consider how we can express our differing opinions and still respect the other's opinion and recognize it as valid.
We're all different people, so different perspectives and points of views are natural, welcome even for growing a healthy community. What is important is that we disagree with empathy and consideration. (If need be, check out the how do we have healthy debates guidelines for more).

• Start Topic

22 minutes ago, kristen111 said:

Sounds like I’m complaining in general about men.  I’m not actually.  He did more than his share.  Met him when I was 20.  Married at 22.  He is the love of my life and I’d be a dead woman without him.  ❤️❤️  Just sayin.  

Like my mom and dad ❤️❤️

• Like 6

My parents met in high school but didn't start dating until university ("good, studious high school kids" in 1960s Hong Kong did not date).  They both came to Canada for grad school, went back home to get married (Mom was 23 and Dad was 24), stayed there a bit and then came back to Canada.  They've been here for 50 or so years!  

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
  • Love 3
4 minutes ago, kristen111 said:

Is anything special coming on MAX soon before I order it?  I hought I saw some series coming.

You might like Julia (mostly true, slightly fictionalized series about Julia Child).  Season one is out there, season two is in progress. 

Barbie has been “coming soon” for a while now. 

I’ve enjoyed Somebody Somewhere, Last Week Tonight, Our Flag Means Death, and How To with John Wilson,(all either ongoing or completed) but I realize they might not be everyone’s taste. 

• Like 2
9 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

I just learned that the next "Fargo" is going to be on Hulu (not FX where it's been since the first season). Is Hulu worth getting?  

Fargo is still on FX. You can see it on Hulu the next day, I believe. But if you have FX from your cable or streaming package (I have YouTube tv) you can see or dvr it like any other FX show. First two episodes were pretty good, I thought. 

Regarding your separate question, "is Hulu worth getting?"  I get it included in my cell phone plan but for the price and the available shows/movies, that might be one I would actually pay for. 

Edited by SoMuchTV
Clarifying that I was answering, not asking, the question about Hulu being worth getting.
  • Thanks 1
19 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

Separate question, is Hulu worth getting?  I get it included in my cell phone plan but for the price and the available shows/movies, that might be one I would actually pay for. 

I got it last month strictly for watching the documentary about the “Villages” in Florida.  I mostly watch movies, and have seen all of them on Hulu, so I’m cancelling at the end of the month.  It depends on what you watch.  Rates are great now tho.

• Useful 1
1 hour ago, SoMuchTV said:

Fargo is still on FX. You can see it on Hulu the next day, I believe. But if you have FX from your cable or streaming package (I have YouTube tv) you can see or dvr it like any other FX show. First two episodes were pretty good, I thought. 

Separate question, is Hulu worth getting?  I get it included in my cell phone plan but for the price and the available shows/movies, that might be one I would actually pay for. 

I mean it’s $1 a month. I use Hulu the most.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

I just learned that the next "Fargo" is available.  Has anyone watched it?  I loved seasons 1 and 2...not so much the rest.

1 hour ago, oliviabenson said:

Fargo is still on FX. You can see it on Hulu the next day,

The first episode of season 5 of Fargo should have dropped on Hulu this past Wednesday. Here’s the schedule: cosmopolitan.com/entertainment/tv/a45908523/fargo-season-5-release-schedule

I’ve watched all previous seasons of Fargo, but it’s too gruesome for me anymore.

I used to tolerate graphic violence if there was some comic relief or compelling characters, but not anymore.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 1

On 11/21/2023 at 4:26 PM, oliviabenson said:

Getting a gift card that has limits on what I can get. Got items that I don’t need/want. I rather have bought something I can actually use.

Clark Howard, consumer advocate for the little people (i.e. us) hates gift cards.  He says the stores etc make bucketloads of money off them because a surprising number of people don't fully redeem them or don't even use them at all.  So basically money is just being thrown away, and the big box retailers, restaurants, hair salons, etc, are laughing.

You're much better off giving and receiving cold hard cash.  Get a lovely crisp new bill of your choice from the bank and put it in a nice card with a suggestion if you like - "I'd love it if you treated yourself to dinner/a new dress/a massage".  Maybe they'll spend it on groceries, but, hey, it's $20 being used as $20 to get $20's worth of something, not "It's only $15.99 but I'll use the other four bucks later."  Yeah, right.

Here's something else that Clark Howard says about gift cards, "You take money that can be used anywhere and turn it into “fake money” that can only be used in one place".

He's not wrong.

Edited by Ancaster
  • Like 5

A gift card is a sponsored errand.   I also think cold hard cash is tacky; presumably people are giving each other gifts, so they're just exchanging envelopes of cash?

If you don't know me well enough to select an item or experience you're quite confident I will enjoy, then we shouldn't be exchanging gifts.    Please don't give me something out of obligation. 

Edited by Quof
  • Like 3

I love the new season of Fargo.  I've been commenting on the thread for the show.  It's much better than the last season, which was mediocre at best.  More like the first three seasons. 

Comic depravity is the metier of the Coen Brothers and their progeny.  I'm a big fan, but I understand why you might shy away. 

• Like 2
  • Useful 2
1 hour ago, EtheltoTillie said:

I love the new season of Fargo.  I've been commenting on the thread for the show.  It's much better than the last season, which was mediocre at best.  More like the first three seasons. 

Comic depravity is the metier of the Coen Brothers and their progeny.  I'm a big fan, but I understand why you might shy away. 

I loved the first two seasons because one minute I'd be laughing at the characters, the next I'd be gasping in shock...then another scene would make me chuckle, etc., etc. They should've kept "Malvo" alive. I don't think I'd ever before seen such a fascinating, evil character in a movie. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

I've only used a starter word for Wordle once or twice, but this morning I couldn't even be bothered to think of a random 5 letter word so I put in a starter.  I got it in two.  I can't decide whether to pat myself on the back for being such a genius or just admit that I'm lazy and lucky.  The latter I think.

Edited by Ancaster
  • Like 1
  • Wink 1
6 hours ago, Quof said:

A gift card is a sponsored errand.   I also think cold hard cash is tacky; presumably people are giving each other gifts, so they're just exchanging envelopes of cash?

If you don't know me well enough to select an item or experience you're quite confident I will enjoy, then we shouldn't be exchanging gifts.    Please don't give me something out of obligation. 

Sometimes wrong sizes come into play, then the beautiful item has to be exchanged which is a pita.  This has happened to me many times, therefor I give cash .. and they love it.

• Like 4
10 hours ago, Ancaster said:

Clark Howard, consumer advocate for the little people (i.e. us) hates gift cards.  He says the stores etc make bucketloads of money off them because a surprising number of people don't fully redeem them or don't even use them at all.  So basically money is just being thrown away, and the big box retailers, restaurants, hair salons, etc, are laughing.

You're much better off giving and receiving cold hard cash.  Get a lovely crisp new bill of your choice from the bank and put it in a nice card with a suggestion if you like - "I'd love it if you treated yourself to dinner/a new dress/a massage".  Maybe they'll spend it on groceries, but, hey, it's $20 being used as $20 to get $20's worth of something, not "It's only $15.99 but I'll use the other four bucks later."  Yeah, right.

Here's something else that Clark Howard says about gift cards, "You take money that can be used anywhere and turn it into “fake money” that can only be used in one place".

He's not wrong.

My Son-in-law law gets VERY expensive clothing from his family.  He then gives the items to my husband as the sizes never fit right.  His family live in different states, so it’s hard to exchange.   Big waste.

Edited by kristen111
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

Whoa...first Xmas card arrived and the lone Thanksgiving card arrived same delivery today! Well, my sis sent her Thanksgiving card on 11/20 from FL. We now figure it takes two weeks for cards to arrive and send stuff earlier than we used to. But her card was beautiful and appreciated.  I get a bjt nostalgic over holidays, thinking about holidays during my childhood, my parents, aunts and uncles no longer with us, fun times at gatherings. But we had a very nice Thanksgiving and will put up our tree tomorrow (or whenever football, sheesh, is over 😉). Onward to the biggie holidays in December!!

• Like 5
  • Love 2

I had to share this from my Danish cousin (the Danes, and other Scandinavians, are fantastic knitters, I have beautiful socks from her!),  I'm sure there are people here who can relate, from more than one perspective.

Husband.jpg

Edited by Ancaster
  • LOL 13
36 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I was out yesterday, running errands, and I passed a car that was totally packed -- the driver and three people in the back seat, plus a dog in the front passenger seat.  It cracked me up.

In my mind they were fighting about who got to ride shotgun. When the driver had heard enough he sat the dog next to him. 😂

• LOL 11
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, Ancaster said:

I had to share this from my Danish cousin (the Danes, and other Scandinavians, are fantastic knitters, I have beautiful socks from her!),  I'm sure there are people here who can relate, from more than one perspective.

Husband.jpg

I can relate.  I'm a Jewish Norwegian-style knitter. 

Edited by EtheltoTillie
  • Wink 3
21 minutes ago, EtheltoTillie said:

You've got the trifecta!  Do you own a cat?  That would make a quadfecta by my reckoning.  Add in Axe Murderer and we'll break the internet.

• LOL 3
4 hours ago, Ancaster said:

Husband.jpg

I tried to find the real purpose of what she is knitting but my Google-fu was stymied.

32 minutes ago, EtheltoTillie said:

9 minutes ago, Ancaster said:

You've got the trifecta!  Do you own a cat?  That would make a quadfecta by my reckoning.  Add in Axe Murderer and we'll break the internet.

My Jewish mother knitted many backs of sweaters. I can't think of any humorous interpretations.
Her once-debutante mother knitted entire suits for herself during The Great Depression.

I still wear the many scarves she sent me in her last years of knitting in Hawaii up to around 2010 or so (until her hands didn't work so well). ❤️
I guess she foresaw that I was doomed to spend my life walking the frigid tundras of North America.

• Love 5

She's knitting a noose - the proximity to Covid lock downs and bubbles adds to the whole joke for me at least.

I have a couple of unfinished pieces and limit myself to scarves for shelters for that reason.  My women folk family are almost all fantastic knitters - a cousin in Arizona is currently crocheting me a cute woodland mushroom thingy, blue and white in time for hannukah, that I'll have to remember to post.

I have the genetic urge for beautiful, complex knitting projects, but neither the patience nor the cool gentle hands to finish them with any sort of real skill or beauty.

My mum knitted this exact jumper for my daughter 30 years ago and it's still being passed down, from her KG teacher's daughter onwards!

Oh maybe you can't open it - it's a cute sweater with three kittens.

image.png.37a8a40516581832f325de231f3b515f.png

Edited by Ancaster
  • Love 10

My mother used to make those doilies and suits in the 30s and 40s,  @shapeshifter.  I'm following her example into new geographical territory.

selbugenser.jpeg

@Ancaster  i  no longer have a cat.  Only a dog. 

Here's a wonderful piece made by my mother.  In the 1960s.  It's lace weight yarn with each sequin knitted in separately.  The sequins were strung on to the yarn first.  I still wear this for my many evenings out.  It's a real showstopper. 

sequin sweater.jpg

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 2
  • Applause 8
  • Love 2
36 minutes ago, Ancaster said:

She's knitting a noose

I couldn't imagine it was anything other than a noose, but a knitted noose

I would love to get the rest of the story.
Like: Could it really be something for restraining livestock for some sort of animal husbandry necessity? 

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 2
4 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

I couldn't imagine it was anything other than a noose, but a knitted noose

I would love to get the rest of the story.
Like: Could it really be something for keeping livestock in place for some sort of animal husbandry necessity? 

I'm guessing it's just Photo Shop put to good use for once.

• Like 3

This is the baby blanket my mum knitted for my eldest, passed down to my next one.  Now waiting for the next generation, and I swear, zero pressure, no unsubtle dropped hints, but this Grandma's biological clock is ticking very loudly.  I want that part that people talk about - all fun, limited diapers, and hand them off when you've had enough.

Well I've given up recropping and retaking my photos to make them fit Primetimer's requirements, so you'll have to believe me when I say my mum knitted a perfect blanket for my girls, simple but delicate, no holes big enough for tiny fingers, a practical but cuddly "wool", perfect cream colour (sex unknown - imagine that!) just lovely. As I said, the clock is ticking!

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 2
23 minutes ago, Ancaster said:

Well I've given up recropping and retaking my photos to make them fit Primetimer's requirements, so you'll have to believe me when I say my mum knitted a perfect blanket for my girls, simple but delicate, no holes big enough for tiny fingers, a practical but cuddly "wool", perfect cream colour (sex unknown - imagine that!) just lovely. 

To get this photo down to size from my iPhone…

1ED24953-7A29-4EF5-88D3-DC7CFE0CEF82.thumb.jpeg.13a761dc1eb02ea700b9d3836b195db6.jpeg

I captured an image of the image turned sideways so it didn’t fill the screen, and then cropped it.

BC3E15AA-E162-49D8-B0B9-97ED48BECF9A.jpeg.66847395dee080ffb214759313c71c47.jpeg

“Lather, rinse, repeat” until it’s an acceptably small enough file.

Sorry it’s blurry.
This is a picture of an old photo taken before the quilt was finished in 1979.
My water broke when I was sitting at the sewing machine.

I have a better, recent picture.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 4
5 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

To get this photo down to size from my iPhone…

1ED24953-7A29-4EF5-88D3-DC7CFE0CEF82.thumb.jpeg.13a761dc1eb02ea700b9d3836b195db6.jpeg

I captured an image of the image turned sideways so it didn’t fill the screen, and then cropped it.

BC3E15AA-E162-49D8-B0B9-97ED48BECF9A.jpeg.66847395dee080ffb214759313c71c47.jpeg

“Lather, rinse, repeat” until it’s an acceptably small enough file.

Sorry it’s blurry.
This is a picture of an old photo taken before the quilt was finished in 1979.
My water broke when I was sitting at the sewing machine.

I have a better, recent picture.

Yeah, you have more patience than me.  I think I mentioned my lack of patience and abandoned knitting projects somewhere upthread.

There are only so many times I can go back and forth between my camera and my Surface laptop and the chair and the couch taking photos and cropping and sending and resending and emailing and downloading.  Much as I loved my mum and I do love my children and I will love my future grandchildren, god willing, at this point, you lovely people are just going to have to use your imaginations.

At least I managed the lady and her knitted noose.  That got a few snorts.

• Like 5
  • Hugs 1

@Ancaster  I know you may not be up for one more try, but this is my method for uploading photos to Primetimer.  It takes no special cropping.  If you develop more patience later, we'd love to see your offering. 

I take photos on my phone, but Primetimer says they are too big to upload directly on the phone version of Primetimer.

If I email the photo to myself and download it from the email on my desktop computer (like your Surface computer), I can then easily add the photo--a jpeg--to the text of my post.  I do not have to do any special resizing or compressing or cropping.   I can't explain it, but it works.  Are you taking the pictures with a phone camera? 

• Thanks 1
  • Useful 2

My problem with photos that I take with my iPhone is that they have a file name that doesn't work on Primetimer or on another forum I go to. I just downloaded a photo of my car in the Small Talk forum in Sister Wives. I cropped it in My Photos on my MacBookAir and then tried to post it. Got message file type doesn't work here. So I emailed the photo to myself and opened mail on my MacBook and it had changed to a .jpeg in the process! No clue why/how but it posted right away when I dragged and dropped it into the post I was making. All done sitting here in my recliner.

I'm thinking the ability to crop in My Photos and other edits maybe are from the latest upgrade to Sonoma??? Totally clueless here, but it worked this time...

Edited by Gramto6
typo
  • Like 4
  • Useful 1
32 minutes ago, Gramto6 said:

My problem with photos that I take with my iPhone is that they have a file name that doesn't work on Primetimer or on another forum I go to. I just downloaded a photo of my car in the Small Talk forum in Sister Wives. I cropped it in My Photos on my MacBookAir and then tried to post it. Got message file type doesn't work here. So I emailed the photo to myself and opened mail on my MacBook and it had changed to a .jpeg in the process! No clue why/how but it posted right away when I dragged and dropped it into the post I was making. All done sitting here in my recliner.

I'm thinking the ability to crop in My Photos and other edits maybe are from the latest upgrade to Sonoma??? Totally clueless here, but it worked this time...

I'm going over there to see your car!  I'll be watching the first part of the tell nothing tonight. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, EtheltoTillie said:

@Ancaster  I know you may not be up for one more try, but this is my method for uploading photos to Primetimer.  It takes no special cropping.  If you develop more patience later, we'd love to see your offering. 

I take photos on my phone, but Primetimer says they are too big to upload directly on the phone version of Primetimer.

If I email the photo to myself and download it from the email on my desktop computer (like your Surface computer), I can then easily add the photo--a jpeg--to the text of my post.  I do not have to do any special resizing or compressing or cropping.   I can't explain it, but it works.  Are you taking the pictures with a phone camera? 

For whatever reason I don't use Primetimer on my phone.  I've tried various methods here with varying degrees of success.  What I did today (which has worked in the past) was take a simple photo with an uncluttered background and email it to my laptop.  Download it to my hard drive.  Go to Primetimer tab with the  prepared in advance window open and text ready to go (copied to my pasteboard for when I inadvertently delete my carefully-composed-but-still-full-of-typos pearls of wisdom), click the attach file button, get the error message that the file's too big, rinse and repeat with a closer, more cropped shot, no luck.  And again.

That was the point that I gave up this time, because although my life's mission is to show you lovely people out-of-focus-because-they're-cropped-too-close photos of my late mother's lovely handiwork, at some point a girl's gotta eat and then put her feet up in front of the television after an unproductive but relatively pleasant, at times laugh out loud funny, sunny Sunday.

I'll try again tomorrow because I cherish you all so much.  If I forget (likely), someone please remind me.  🙂

• Like 1
  • Love 1
40 minutes ago, stewedsquash said:

Is that sequined sweater pictured in your house? I am jealous of the parquet floors. It pains me when people rip them out if they are in good shape. 

Yes it’s refinished but 1925 original. That picture was taken a few years ago. Could use a new refinish, but now I don’t want to make the mess.  The first refinish was done before we moved in. 

• Like 4
  • Love 1
4 minutes ago, oliviabenson said:

I finally own a coat that I’m not cold in. And it was $30 with a coupon. Usually I’m freezing with a coat on but not today.

I want deets, LOL. 
What temperature was it outside when you wore the coat? 
What's the coat made of? 
Does it have a hood? 
Does it have a flap over the zipper, or…?
A link would be great.

• LOL 5
9 minutes ago, Ancaster said:

For whatever reason I don't use Primetimer on my phone.  I've tried various methods here with varying degrees of success.  What I did today (which has worked in the past) was take a simple photo with an uncluttered background and email it to my laptop.  Download it to my hard drive.  Go to Primetimer tab with the  prepared in advance window open and text ready to go (copied to my pasteboard for when I inadvertently delete my carefully-composed-but-still-full-of-typos pearls of wisdom), click the attach file button, get the error message that the file's too big, rinse and repeat with a closer, more cropped shot, no luck.  And again.

That was the point that I gave up this time, because although my life's mission is to show you lovely people out-of-focus-because-they're-cropped-too-close photos of my late mother's lovely handiwork, at some point a girl's gotta eat and then put her feet up in front of the television after an unproductive but relatively pleasant, at times laugh out loud funny, sunny Sunday.

I'll try again tomorrow because I cherish you all so much.  If I forget (likely), someone please remind me.  🙂

Aw that’s too bad. Sounds like you are doing what I’m doing but it’s not working for you. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
11 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

I want deets, LOL. 
What temperature was it outside when you wore the coat? 
What's the coat made of? 
Does it have a hood? 
Does it have a flap over the zipper, or…?
A link would be great.

Today it’s 50 and raining. So far NYC hasn’t gotten below 40 degrees?! I’m staying dry and yes it has a hood and is Sherpa lined. But it’s thick lining? I don’t know it an old navy coat but I’m warm! 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
30 minutes ago, EtheltoTillie said:

Aw that’s too bad. Sounds like you are doing what I’m doing but it’s not working for you. 

Yup.  Sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't.  The mysteries of Primetimer pixels! 

• Like 4

Catching up on reading the forum can someone tell me about the SNL episodes you say they played about Thanksgiving?  I DVR SNL and nothing was different. 
I am still on a high from seeing a favorite comedian last night. I took my 2 best friends and have never seen those two laugh so hard. That laughter is the best medicine. I got to speak to her for a minute while she autographed a sweatshirt for me. 

• Like 4
  • Applause 1